Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

tuyop posted:

My Air 2 is still going strong. :woop:

Same for my work iPad Air 2, but it's starting to crash on apps and such. Don't think it has more than another year or so, but that's still saying a lot. Built to last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Krispy Wafer posted:

So the cheapest iPad is now better than the first gen 2016 iPad Pro (A9x versus A10 - no idea of RAM yet) with all the same ports and capabilities. Screen and speakers are still better on the old Pro.

iPad 6 already had the A10.

The Pro 1 also has more RAM (4GB) in the 12.9" only.

eames
May 9, 2009

Using the A10 in the new iPad strikes me as an odd decision when even the relatively cheap mini has an A12.
I assume they are doing this for cost reasons (Apple TV has the A10X, this new iPadhas the A10 and the T2 chip in every modern Mac is also based on the A10).
I’d like to see some geekbench comparisons to clarify if it is the A10 or A10X, the specs on the official site show that it has the former.

Smilin Joe Fission
Jan 24, 2007

Last Chance posted:

I jailbroke an iPad Air 2 on iOS 12.4 last week just to see what you could do with jailbroken iPads these days. It's a dismal, wasteland of incompatible junkware for iOS 10+. Don't waste your time. Even the emulator scene is very sad and incompatible with 12.4.

This is very helpful to know, thanks. Sounds like it's not worth jailbreaking. Maybe I'll just use it with a lightning to USB cable, and the duet display app as an extra screen for one of my desktop PCs.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

eames posted:

Using the A10 in the new iPad strikes me as an odd decision when even the relatively cheap mini has an A12.
I assume they are doing this for cost reasons (Apple TV has the A10X, this new iPadhas the A10 and the T2 chip in every modern Mac is also based on the A10).
I’d like to see some geekbench comparisons to clarify if it is the A10 or A10X, the specs on the official site show that it has the former.

I can't imagine the old chip is much cheaper to fab than the new one. I think it's just so that the budget option doesn't compete too well against the ipad air and pro

Smilin Joe Fission
Jan 24, 2007
I'm tempted to pick up a final device in the 9.7" form factor, to go with the smart folio and other cases/accessories I've gotten over the years for my 9.7" 2013 iPad Air.

Wouldn't you think there would be fire sales all over the net right now on remaining stocks of the 2018 9.7" iPad 6? If there are, I'm not finding them...

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Smilin Joe Fission posted:

Wouldn't you think there would be fire sales all over the net right now on remaining stocks of the 2018 9.7" iPad 6? If there are, I'm not finding them...

What counts as a fire sale? Amazon has them starting at $250.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

qbert posted:

What counts as a fire sale? Amazon has them starting at $250.
...which is the price they've gone on sale for regularly forever. Hell the new one will probably be on sale for $250 soon enough.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Wow, Sidecar with the Catalina beta is spooky good. No blur, no lag at all on wifi, instant connectivity from the menu bar. The only thing it's missing it's a translation of gestures from the iPad screen to the Mac.

Edit: And a "touch for gestures only" setting for image editing apps, so you pan-and-zoom with fingers and use the mouse with Pencil.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 12, 2019

Smilin Joe Fission
Jan 24, 2007

japtor posted:

...which is the price they've gone on sale for regularly forever. Hell the new one will probably be on sale for $250 soon enough.

Exactly. They've been $249 for the entry level for awhile through Amazon and Best Buy. They need to be $150 now, or even less, if they're going to have any hope of clearing unsold inventory of 2018 iPads before the new one lands. IMO of course.

Edit: I always wonder who are the people buying old model iPads for pretty close to the prices of the new ones? Who are the people buying the 2017 12.9 " iPad Pro from B&H for like $700 or $800? Who are the people buying an iPhone 7 Plus for like $500 or more nowadays? I'm guessing they must be people who just do a casual search and assume it must be a great deal since it's the previous generation, without realizing you can get the vastly improved current generation for not much more. I mean, more power to them. I hope they enjoy their iPad, but I see things differently myself.

Smilin Joe Fission fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 12, 2019

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Exactly. They've been $249 for the entry level for awhile. They need to be $150 now, or even less, if they're going to have any hope of clearing unsold inventory of 2018 iPads before the new one lands. IMO of course.

Lol $150

Not gonna happen.

Also they tend to run very very lean so I would be surprised if most stores even have a huge stock.

Smilin Joe Fission
Jan 24, 2007
Is anybody using the combo of a 2018 12.9" iPad Pro, along with a Macbook Air or Macbook Pro of some sort? Seems like it would be a great combo, to have a dual screen mobile workstation, and the ability to do anything in either iOS or Mac OS. Using the Apple pencil as an input device to Mac OS software is apparently possible too, as is using the Macbook's keyboard as an input device to iOS software. I was thinking about getting a 13" Macbook Air with 16 GB of RAM, but maybe I should get a Macbook Pro instead with a beefier GPU to support the use of the second screen.

Sidecar looks to me like the killer app in iPad OS that nobody is talking about. There have always been third party apps with similar functionality, but to have it built in at the OS level (and apparently it's a rockin' good implementation) is going to be great and will do much to popularize the usage of two screens in a mobile environment. I bet ten years from now this will be historically noted as a key event in the eventual merger of iOS and Mac OS X into a single unified platform.

Smilin Joe Fission fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 12, 2019

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

New iPad Pros when?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Is anybody using the combo of a 2018 12.9" iPad Pro, along with a Macbook Air or Macbook Pro of some sort? Seems like it would be a great combo, to have a dual screen mobile workstation, and the ability to do anything in either iOS or Mac OS. Using the Apple pencil as an input device to Mac OS software is apparently possible too, as is using the Macbook's keyboard as an input device to iOS software. I was thinking about getting a 13" Macbook Air with 16 GB of RAM, but maybe I should get a Macbook Pro instead with a beefier GPU to support the use of the second screen.

Sidecar looks to me like the killer app in iPad OS that nobody is talking about. There have always been third party apps with similar functionality, but to have it built in at the OS level (and apparently it's a rockin' good implementation) is going to be great and will do much to popularize the usage of two screens in a mobile environment. I bet ten years from now this will be historically noted as a key event in the eventual merger of iOS and Mac OS X into a single unified platform.
Not that I know of for the bolded part there. But otherwise yeah it makes the iPad a nice complement to a Mac, other way around not so much (as far as working together like Sidecar) unless I missed something.

I use an iPad as my main device with a Mac desktop mostly as something to do stuff I can't do on the iPad. I can remote into the Mac from the iPad, clunky but it works if I really need to use it away from home/desk.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Ultimate Mango posted:

New iPad Pros when?

October, next spring, or next October

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Lol $150

Not gonna happen.

Also they tend to run very very lean so I would be surprised if most stores even have a huge stock.

Yeah they're gonna drop to $229 and all time low and be cleared out in no time.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I remote from my 12.9” 2018 pro to my 2015 MBA all the time. iPad is much easier for me to do work on throughout the day, its only when I’ve got large amounts of typing to do that I would rather sit down at the table and hack away at a regular keyboard.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

The first gen iPad Pro is getting all the features of iPadOS right? While I’d love to upgrade because the new design looks dope, I’d also love to not part with over a grand.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've been using the beta and as far as I can tell, it's all there.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ijyt posted:

The first gen iPad Pro is getting all the features of iPadOS right? While I’d love to upgrade because the new design looks dope, I’d also love to not part with over a grand.

This is what I was coming here to ask as I have the 1st gen Pro. Endless Mike's response has me hopeful. I love the design of the iPad Pro 3, but the 1st gen iPad Pro is perfectly fine and does everything else the current iPad Pro can do with virtually the same performance. So i'm glad Apple is being generous, they often are not. I am most looking forward to being able to use my iPad Pro on my Mac.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
I've been using it and haven't noticed anything missing, but I haven't tried using it in conjunction with my Mac yet, either.

My favourite feature (this may be sad) are the context menus in Safari, and the ability to send immediately to my SO from the share menu without having to type in names, etc.

I still hate the implementation of this panel in panel functionality. I trigger it in Safari all the time by accident (also I feel like iOS is becoming increasingly annoying to use left-handed, but that might just be my particular quirks).

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

mediaphage posted:

My favourite feature (this may be sad) are the context menus in Safari, and the ability to send immediately to my SO from the share menu without having to type in names, etc.

Not sad at all! My partner and I share information between each other on our Macs, and iPhones all the time. The latest software updates to Apples operating systems, making this easier, is an exciting change. :v:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I said come in! posted:

Not sad at all! My partner and I share information between each other on our Macs, and iPhones all the time. The latest software updates to Apples operating systems, making this easier, is an exciting change. :v:

Yeah same, it’s incredibly useful and I’m finding myself using it all the time. iOS lately has become and very, very useful tool and interface in general. I like where things seem to be headed.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
After months of pondering, I decided to upgrade from my 9.7" iPad Pro to the 2018 11" Pro, and by god do I love it!

Sure, it's not that different in what it does but the look of the machine and the bit of extra size is great.

I've been drawing on it pretty much non stop during my free time and it's reignited my love of sketching, which is something I've not really done in 20 years since studying art at college.

Also, I reserved the iPad and the standard folio case at my local tech store so I just had to pop in and pick them up. When I got home I realised they gave me the keyboard folio but charged me for the normal folio, so that was a result!

If like me you were on the fence about upgrading, I'd say go for it.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Pitwar posted:

After months of pondering, I decided to upgrade from my 9.7" iPad Pro to the 2018 11" Pro, and by god do I love it!

Sure, it's not that different in what it does but the look of the machine and the bit of extra size is great.

If like me you were on the fence about upgrading, I'd say go for it.

This is correct. It is a massive upgrade, even if it seems like a tiny one.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Only thing is, Apple’s probably going to upgrade the iPad Pro next month, so if you’re holding out, maybe just hold out a little longer

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I wish there was an iPad Mini Pro. The minimal bezel on a tablet that size would make me feel real futurey.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Roadie posted:

I wish there was an iPad Mini Pro. The minimal bezel on a tablet that size would make me feel real futurey.

Same. With a removable case to add a holding place, or not. The first iPad mini definitely made me feel like that. I still love it and use it as a hotspot. I definitely want a bedtime mini but I might wait for OLED or micro-LED or equivalent before I upgrade as zero light blacks make reading in bed way better. It’s the only thing I use my Samsung tablet for.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The next gen pros will most likely be an iterative upgrade with an A13X processor and an ugly triple camera. If you can find a really good deal on the current gen models and don’t feel like waiting a month for a slightly better deal, I say go for it. I doubt we’ll be getting anything cool like an OLED screen or a second USB C port, but I never thought we’d get standard USB drive support so what do I know.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

hatty posted:

The next gen pros will most likely be an iterative upgrade with an A13X processor and an ugly triple camera. If you can find a really good deal on the current gen models and don’t feel like waiting a month for a slightly better deal, I say go for it. I doubt we’ll be getting anything cool like an OLED screen or a second USB C port, but I never thought we’d get standard USB drive support so what do I know.

Dual camera if I had to guess. I doubt they’d go from 1 to 3 but stranger things have happened I suppose. I too never expected a USB C port on an iOS device.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I’d like a new 13-inch Pro, but my mbp is showing its age after 7 years so it comes first, haha. I’m actually pro great cameras on the iPad. I use it all the time around the house. Apple should launch an ad campaign billing it as the ideal solution for Etsy types: take a series of product pictures with a mounted iPad, edit and do markup, then take to the market and use to accept credit cards.

I mean I have fancy cameras, too, but there’s honestly something appealing about the enormous effective viewfinder.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

hatty posted:

Of course the previous gen versions will be considerably cheaper after the new one's announced too, so there's that.

Don't buy a 2018 iPad Pro right now unless you really don't care about it being cheaper/on sale in a month and don't want any additional features/spec bump in the 2019 model for the same price.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

mediaphage posted:

I’d like a new 13-inch Pro, but my mbp is showing its age after 7 years so it comes first, haha. I’m actually pro great cameras on the iPad. I use it all the time around the house. Apple should launch an ad campaign billing it as the ideal solution for Etsy types: take a series of product pictures with a mounted iPad, edit and do markup, then take to the market and use to accept credit cards.

I mean I have fancy cameras, too, but there’s honestly something appealing about the enormous effective viewfinder.

Any commercial about using iPad cameras would have to involve old people at Little League games and that inevitable lady in front of you at your kid's band concert holding her 9.7" at arm's length.

iPad's are pretty awesome as cameras as long as you make a rule you can't use them in public. They were great when I worked in a datacenter and could import shots directly into OneNote.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i have the latest ipad pro and tried plugging a USB c w/ HDMI dock into it to hook up to my monitor. I see a flicker of the ipad pro screen on the monitor for a second and it turns to a blue screen; ipad pro still works normally.

any idea why this would happen?

the dock works fine with my mbp

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Roadie posted:

The mini would be dead right now if it didn't unexpectedly gain a massive foothold in the business and commercial market.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yeah, i agree with that statement that if the ipad mini wasn't successful then it wouldn't be successful

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Last Chance posted:

yeah, i agree with that statement that if the ipad mini wasn't successful then it wouldn't be successful

What I mean is that Apple doesn't care that much about the iPad Mini and will give it only the required spec bump every 3-4 years

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

that's true

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

FCKGW posted:

What I mean is that Apple doesn't care that much about the iPad Mini and will give it only the required spec bump every 3-4 years

Yeah, the people buying the Mini aren't buying it for the specs, they're buying it to stick in a stand on a desk and take Square payments.

And for some reason for little kids, even though the 6th gen is cheaper to buy and repair if/when they break it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Little kids little tablets.

They’ll also never make a home buttonless version because they need to keep it the exact same current dimensions for whatever case/use it’s already used for. It’s a lot more valuable if a new Mini can slot right into the same space an old Mini existed in.

A pro-Mini would be boss though.