Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Ineptitude posted:

Considering how much the games increased in scope going from #1 to #2 to #3 a potential #4 will probably be nearly insurmountable

EDIT: When can i start ditching respawn gear in NGU?
Currently farming exile v2, have all PP on the first page, getting 3,1PP per kill.
The respawn gear is starting to look bad compared to some of the latter acessories e.g. A6 pendant

I still want all the pp/AP/exp from respawn, but all my other gear is for wish speed or r3 stats. I'm about where you are and it was pretty easy to drop em and still be able to bb everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i built farpoint in evolve, do i just have to wait for something to happen

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Aurora posted:

You gotta start shooting crap into it.

(I'm leaving this unspoilered because it's meaningless without context.)

Two resources count as exotic and they're most important.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Aurora posted:

You're on the lookout for a multi-part building at the moment. Don't remember the tech you have to have to get there, exactly, though

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Eldercain posted:

You're on the lookout for a multi-part building at the moment. Don't remember the tech you have to have to get there, exactly, though

...i have to build the dyson net too? :gonk:

pelao
Apr 21, 2010

Eldercain posted:

I still want all the pp/AP/exp from respawn, but all my other gear is for wish speed or r3 stats. I'm about where you are and it was pretty easy to drop em and still be able to bb everything

Mind sharing a screenshot of your equipment? I'm at almost the same point and the armory can't handle this number of options.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Aurora posted:

...i have to build the dyson net too? :gonk:

no, but i did. there's another other one. I think you eventually need something like 1.3M knowledge cap to get all the way there, and you'll have to get your hell pretty stable with a decent number of patrols for gems but i honestly don't remember what actually unlocked the building

pelao posted:

Mind sharing a screenshot of your equipment? I'm at almost the same point and the armory can't handle this number of options.

i'll hit you with this when i'm home from work

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

This is helping me see I need to drop the asscessory and put in the joker.

I could probably drop some of the dumpy respawn stuff for zipper or left wing but honestly the pp grind is probably gonna be a super long one and I don't really feel like slowing it down any. I suppose the case could be made that more pp hack = more pp as well but you can pry my itopod rewards out of my cold, dead hands

Crell
Nov 4, 2008

Hot Leggy Blonde, you
got it goin' on.
this is what i wear, i dunno if its good or not. I'm working towards Exile v4

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Eldercain posted:

This is helping me see I need to drop the asscessory and put in the joker.

I could probably drop some of the dumpy respawn stuff for zipper or left wing but honestly the pp grind is probably gonna be a super long one and I don't really feel like slowing it down any. I suppose the case could be made that more pp hack = more pp as well but you can pry my itopod rewards out of my cold, dead hands

1 milestone of PP should outpace any respawn speed gains you also get other hacks faster too, which include adventure stats which increases your floor which increases your PP.

Oh and you wear accessories with more power and toughness again increasing your floor number and PP.

sub other non respawn accessories into anything you don't have.

don't forget you still have to wait swing timer after the respawn.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I appreciate my decision to keep green heart, stapler and Ring of Greed is justified by people further than me still carrying them.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
I don't have v3 gear and the swing timer has always been there.

Also I'm real lazy.

But essentially the options I have to replace with just aren't that good for r3 and the stats won't push me to v3 yet so gently caress it

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Glad to see I haven't gotten rid of any accessories that will still be used in the late game! Also you just reminded me I can finally buy the pink heart and shove it in the daycare not to be seen again for like a month.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Mine is back in the daycare because I have open slots to fill and nothing worthwhile to build levels in that isn't Galactic Looty. :shrug:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

For Evolve, when should I start tackling challenges?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Randalor posted:

For Evolve, when should I start tackling challenges?

The no free trade and no manual crafting challenges aren't too bad, I've been using them so often that it feels like the normal way to play the game.

The weak crispr one might not be too bad either, at least for WMD runs.

The no plasmid one is a huge disadvantage from what I've seen.

So, just start doing those first 2 or 3 and see how it goes.

As for genetic wreck and the happiness one, probably want to have most crispr stuff finished.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

NGU - When is a good time to do the first no equipment challenge? I'm eyeballing auto-boost and wondering if it's worth my time yet.

e: unrelated, I finally have all of my basic speed caps down to 1

The Fool fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 11, 2019

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

The Fool posted:

NGU - When is a good time to do the first no equipment challenge? I'm eyeballing auto-boost and wondering if it's worth my time yet.

e: unrelated, I finally have all of my basic speed caps down to 1

Sometime when you're already doing challenges and your number is tanked just give all then a try. You can always abandon or load a save

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Eldercain posted:

Sometime when you're already doing challenges and your number is tanked just give all then a try. You can always abandon or load a save

I did the NEQ challenge in about a day pre-UUG (I think right before UUG, specifically.) It just took a while, the biggest problem isn't the stats, it's the big hump getting to the time machine because before that you don't have much gold, if I recall.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Falcon2001 posted:

I did the NEQ challenge in about a day pre-UUG (I think right before UUG, specifically.) It just took a while, the biggest problem isn't the stats, it's the big hump getting to the time machine because before that you don't have much gold, if I recall.

It's not a terribly difficult challenge early because your gear doesn't provide as many stats. The evil NEQ are kind of terrible because you need enough stat enhancements to be able to power through because you end up with almost no EM stats because of how heavily your gear affects them.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
So I restarted Cookie Clicker, figured I'd give it a shot with no autoclicker or auto-golden-cookie clicker.

Turns out golden cookies are still insane and having the spellbook from day 2 of a fresh run just makes it even worse.

I'm at like, one billion CPS, unbuffed. Let's pretend that I have, for no reason, 84 trillion unspent cookies. I could spend that! Get my CPS up to 1.3 billion. That's 300 million per second!

...Or I can pay attention long enough to click golden cookies until I Frenzy up to 7 billion CPS, then cast Conjure Baked Goods for 12.6 trillion cookies. (which is where the 84 trillion came from, obviously.) And at level 1 wizard towers, I still have enough mana in my grimoire to cast it twice, so it's 25.2 trillion cookies (well, okay, each is only 85% to succeed, work with me here) as a payoff for not engaging with the fundamental gameplay mechanic of "buying buildings and upgrades".

It's the worst parts of the Lucky Frenzy bank, but guaranteed to start on day 1 (rather than demanding you wait to buy the 77 trillion golden cookie duration upgrade) by the sole existence of the golden cookies mechanic.

(also all the gods suck in different and exciting ways, since half of them fight against golden cookies and the other half are weird poo poo like "sugar lumps are an hour faster" and "buildings are cheaper but heavenly chips suck more than twice as hard", which at least is good on a no-chips first run I guess)

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

DACK FAYDEN posted:

So I restarted Cookie Clicker, figured I'd give it a shot with no autoclicker or auto-golden-cookie clicker.

I'm honestly just kind of stunned he's still working on it. The world has left him behind and the mechanics are just so heavily out of date with current good designs in idlers

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Eldercain posted:

I'm honestly just kind of stunned he's still working on it. The world has left him behind and the mechanics are just so heavily out of date with current good designs in idlers

From what I understand he doesn't play other idle games

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.

Eldercain posted:

The man could've made infinity dollars but he kinda just vanished when he was at the top of the world.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Carados posted:

The man could've made infinity dollars but he kinda just vanished when he was at the top of the world.
which makes him the exact opposite of Notch and I salute him for that if nothing else

and yeah he keeps doing stuff and it's just... like, not good? which is a rude thing to say? it's a bunch of stuff that's just the same framework, but more so, with no paradigm shifts or anything

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Neverending Legacy had promise but I guess Evolve kinda took that ball and ran with it.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Evolve: does the "World Collider +1%" effect from farpoint stations do anything? I'm just slowly chewing through the stellar engine build and not sure if i should be building more farpoint stations.

Also Centauri habitats give +1 centauri support unlike the other habitats - reckon that's a bug? It's very convenient.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Alkahistorian

I have gotten the pure earth/water/air essence to upgrade the Mixer 3 times to get Alkahest ratio to 0.250. I am assuming upgrading it with the Pure Fire gets rid of alkahest need entirely ?

Getting pure air was easy, earth was easy'ish, water was ok but took loving forever.

Pure Fire, however, i am simply unable to earn. The things i need to get it is consumed by prior nodes in the production chain but if i shut those down i will lack other things i need. I suppose i could cap them then turn them off, i.e. babysit the whole thing. Is that the intended way? Its really not my style at all to sit and actively play an idle game, at least not for the many hours this process would take.

I also upgraded the 4 basic element nodes, starting with upgrading the earth one with pure earth (iirc), which let me upgrade the water one, then the air one then the fire one then back to the earth one for its final upgrade.
However having maxed out the earth node and have gotten the other 3 nodes up 1 more upgrade has done nothing at all for the speed at which i gain, well, everything. Why? I thought at the base level everything was based on the speed of the 4 basic element nodes.

I also could max out the alkhaest node by affording the upgrade that cost 1,2e8 of each basic element. This also practically did nothing. Its alkahest cap is lower than the previous skill and it costs more, so what is the purpose of it?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

xiw posted:

Evolve: does the "World Collider +1%" effect from farpoint stations do anything? I'm just slowly chewing through the stellar engine build and not sure if i should be building more farpoint stations.

Also Centauri habitats give +1 centauri support unlike the other habitats - reckon that's a bug? It's very convenient.

So the World Collider gives you 25% Max Knowledge. Without looking at the code, Farpoint stations are increasing that bonus additionally or multiplicatively, for those occasions where you're having trouble reaching the next tech tier.

Lufia
Nov 28, 2011

Ineptitude posted:

Alkahistorian

I have gotten the pure earth/water/air essence to upgrade the Mixer 3 times to get Alkahest ratio to 0.250. I am assuming upgrading it with the Pure Fire gets rid of alkahest need entirely ?

Getting pure air was easy, earth was easy'ish, water was ok but took loving forever.

Pure Fire, however, i am simply unable to earn. The things i need to get it is consumed by prior nodes in the production chain but if i shut those down i will lack other things i need. I suppose i could cap them then turn them off, i.e. babysit the whole thing. Is that the intended way? Its really not my style at all to sit and actively play an idle game, at least not for the many hours this process would take.
You get Fire like you did with Earth, alternating using the second and third reactions on your fire planter. The thing is, you don't need to keep Blast on. Max you Sulphur and turn that off. Stockpile some EssenceF, turn Blast on and off again and you'll get your fire seeds. The longest bit is to get 3-4 FireSeeds before you can start producing plants, after that it takes maybe 30 mins to get your fire plants reaction in a stable loop. Get to 107 FireSeeds then let the pureFire trickle in.

Ineptitude posted:

I also upgraded the 4 basic element nodes, starting with upgrading the earth one with pure earth (iirc), which let me upgrade the water one, then the air one then the fire one then back to the earth one for its final upgrade.
However having maxed out the earth node and have gotten the other 3 nodes up 1 more upgrade has done nothing at all for the speed at which i gain, well, everything. Why? I thought at the base level everything was based on the speed of the 4 basic element nodes.
It's more about turning more stuff on a the same time, in my experience. The speed up mechanic is through the Rabbit Hole, really.

Ineptitude posted:

I also could max out the alkhaest node by affording the upgrade that cost 1,2e8 of each basic element. This also practically did nothing. Its alkahest cap is lower than the previous skill and it costs more, so what is the purpose of it?
If you have 1e8 base elements, the other reactions are going to max you Alkahest instantly, triggering an explosion. You need 24 Alkahest to catalyse some reactions, and when you have a lot of the base elements, the third reaction is the only way to build up to it. Stops at 41 too, so you don't have to monitor it.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

xiw posted:

I doubt it's a bug, I had assumed it used 1 support and wrote it off as completely useless. The local space ones use support because they provide a colonist job and that job is very very powerful since it's a multiplier for other space buildings. +1 pop when there's so many ways to get pop just isn't super useful. It also makes sense that you can support additional structures in another solar system if you have people that actually live in system.

Seems very deliberate and actually follows logic.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Lufia posted:

You get Fire like you did with Earth, alternating using the second and third reactions on your fire planter. The thing is, you don't need to keep Blast on. Max you Sulphur and turn that off. Stockpile some EssenceF, turn Blast on and off again and you'll get your fire seeds. The longest bit is to get 3-4 FireSeeds before you can start producing plants, after that it takes maybe 30 mins to get your fire plants reaction in a stable loop. Get to 107 FireSeeds then let the pureFire trickle in.

I also found I struggled to maintain coal, so check to see if you’re leaking EssenceFire to it. But I also found that fire was a pain compared to the other ones.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Sage Grimm posted:

So the World Collider gives you 25% Max Knowledge. Without looking at the code, Farpoint stations are increasing that bonus additionally or multiplicatively, for those occasions where you're having trouble reaching the next tech tier.

Additionally. Check the tooltip on the collider

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

NGU, minor nitpick: I just reached boss 122, and penguins are at the south pole not the north pole

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Lufia posted:

You get Fire like you did with Earth, alternating using the second and third reactions on your fire planter.

For Earth, Air, Water i used the node in the bottom left that uses pure essence but gives a ton of the same element soil, its not a positive loop but it results in speeding up the pure essence gain if you are capped on seeds, however this doesn't work at all for fire. Trying this there only resulted in losing all my seeds and all the pure essence i had gained so far, setting me back a full day. Good fun.

Lufia posted:

The thing is, you don't need to keep Blast on. Max you Sulphur and turn that off. Stockpile some EssenceF, turn Blast on and off again and you'll get your fire seeds. The longest bit is to get 3-4 FireSeeds before you can start producing plants, after that it takes maybe 30 mins to get your fire plants reaction in a stable loop. Get to 107 FireSeeds then let the pureFire trickle in.

This is not my experience at all. Everything in the fire themed loop is dependant on eachother and in the end dependant on 42 alkahest because of the mixer->fire essence bit of it and that combined with THREE resources ticking down on their own that is needed to get pure fire essence combined with the loving alkahest bomb that resets your progress means you make progress only like 2% of the time.

What an infuriating end to an otherwise decent game.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Turns out golden cookies are still insane and having the spellbook from day 2 of a fresh run just makes it even worse.

I'm at like, one billion CPS, unbuffed. Let's pretend that I have, for no reason, 84 trillion unspent cookies. I could spend that! Get my CPS up to 1.3 billion. That's 300 million per second!

...Or I can pay attention long enough to click golden cookies until I Frenzy up to 7 billion CPS, then cast Conjure Baked Goods for 12.6 trillion cookies. (which is where the 84 trillion came from, obviously.) And at level 1 wizard towers, I still have enough mana in my grimoire to cast it twice, so it's 25.2 trillion cookies (well, okay, each is only 85% to succeed, work with me here) as a payoff for not engaging with the fundamental gameplay mechanic of "buying buildings and upgrades".

It's the worst parts of the Lucky Frenzy bank, but guaranteed to start on day 1 (rather than demanding you wait to buy the 77 trillion golden cookie duration upgrade) by the sole existence of the golden cookies mechanic.

(also all the gods suck in different and exciting ways, since half of them fight against golden cookies and the other half are weird poo poo like "sugar lumps are an hour faster" and "buildings are cheaper but heavenly chips suck more than twice as hard", which at least is good on a no-chips first run I guess)

Man, you're talking about a lot of stuff that doesn't seem to be in the mobile version (which I started two weeks ago). I just picked up a few Time Machines, but nothing about this spellcasting, mana, frenzy bank. :psyduck: Is that unlocked on a prestige?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

No, those are all features that haven't been ported to the mobile.

Lufia
Nov 28, 2011

Ineptitude posted:

For Earth, Air, Water i used the node in the bottom left that uses pure essence but gives a ton of the same element soil, its not a positive loop but it results in speeding up the pure essence gain if you are capped on seeds, however this doesn't work at all for fire. Trying this there only resulted in losing all my seeds and all the pure essence i had gained so far, setting me back a full day. Good fun.
That's how I did it though. Turn on the Plucker for a bit to get some pureEF and then SoilFire, turn it off again and turn on the Leaf Trimmer instead to get essenceF and make seeds. Switch back to the Plucker when your SoilFire amount gets a bit low and you should make progress. After you make your initial 4 seeds, you can turn off the Mixer immediately and just make your essenceF with the Leaf Trimmer, it'll free up a bunch of Fire to keep your Lava topped up. You should be able to turn off the Garden and Compressor right then as well, but sometimes you miscalculate and burn through all your SoilFire and need them back on for a bit. Blast literally only needs 0.5 Sulphur at a time, you'll max your seeds long before you run through your stockpile.

All the plants except Air can be a bit fiddly for different reasons, but I don't think I ever had as much trouble as you seem to be. Is there one ressource you're running out of somewhere?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Of the garden recipes fire is a little trickier because just letting fire plants grow at all will slowly consume your fire seeds. For one thing this means you need to start with 2 seeds (if you try with 1 seed, you promptly drop to 0.99 and are below the minimum of 1 so the recipe stops again), for another this means you should line up the followup recipes to have leaf trimmer -> essence of fire -> fire seed running. Only turn that off and start making fire soil when you've got enough of a surplus of fire seeds that you can afford to burn some to make easy fire soil and still keep the reaction running.

Meanwhile, you'll need to have enough sulphur to keep blaze running as a catalyst (otherwise you can make all the essence of fire you want but it won't turn into fire seeds), which in turn basically means you need to have enough coal. Plus it helps to do one of the other elements first so you've got e8 of water/air to feed to the sulphur reaction.

For coal, while it's true you need essence of fire to start, that should only be the case for your very first coal ignition if you've been diligently exploring different recipes around the board. Almost immediately after it gets going you can unlock a second recipe to turn ash (the byproduct of burning coal to make blaze) into more coal. It's not self-sustaining but it does do a lot to mitigate the speed of coal consumption, so get that running so you're less panicked about running out of time and essence of fire.

Getting coal/blaze running will get a lot of other right-side recipes working too, and following up on those should eventually lead to unlocking the third recipe for coal, "healthy rock hash". This is the main recipe you want to be using, since it's made from stone (down in masonry in the lower right; make sure you're unlocking its recipes too). The requirement for masonry to do its thing is basically compressed earth (generally a non-issue, especially if you've gotten the tier 1 elements to e8) and having a source of energy, which basically boils down to having the chain reaction from coal running. That's why you have to have essence of fire to start the reaction, but after that you're burning coal and eventually getting energy, energy lets you make stone, stone gives you more coal than you're using, and it's self-sustaining from there to the point that you can even stockpile a backup supply of both coal and stone. Note that some of the recipes along the way require 4.2 alkahest as a catalyst, so if you've alkasploded recently make sure you've got your alkahest back up above that point.

If you somehow gently caress up the right side in some tremendous way after that, yes, it's theoretically possible you might need to backtrack to essence of fire again to get coal running to be able to do the healthy rock hash recipe from stone again, but it's pretty unlikely.

TL;DR - get your coal/blaze/energy/stone and coal/sulphur/blast cycles running sustainably first, then go back to your fire garden, and make sure that when you swap over to the easy/fast fire soil recipe that you keep an eye on your fire seeds and swap back to seed->plant->essence->more seed recipe loop when you get low(ish) on seeds.

Vil fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Sep 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Who wants to play some IDLE HUMAN and grow a human body from a single cell?

(not me)