Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Minidust posted:

Good points, thanks. Do the various running apps work well enough without cellular? Also I'd like to be able to use Apple Pay without my phone on me. I'll be listening to music but only via local storage, so streaming isn't a concern.

You can use Apple Pay without your phone on any new Watch. You need to passcode protect your watch, but you only have to unlock it when you first put the watch on. It's weird voodoo magic but it works.

Running apps work fine too. Personally I enjoy being able to leave my phone behind and not get bothered as long as the media I want actually loads onto the watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Pants Donkey posted:

Hasn’t Apple’s “sapphire” always been bullshit marketing speak and the thing is just glass?

But yes, the Stainless Steel models on the 4 had the sapphire display that for some reason scratches just like glass.

The display cover is one of the best reasons to not buy an Alu model.

You may get tiny nicks on the Sapphire that don't show up when the display is on, but you won't get the scratches like the standard glass, at all.

Looking at the 2 different watches side by side after even 6 months of wear is eye opening.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

LionArcher posted:

Never had an Apple Watch. Thinking about grabbing a series 3 for swimming and general health tracking. A good buy now that they are cheap?

if I lost mine I would probably buy another one within a week.

It’s a solid investment.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Krispy Wafer posted:

You can use Apple Pay without your phone on any new Watch. You need to passcode protect your watch, but you only have to unlock it when you first put the watch on. It's weird voodoo magic but it works.

Running apps work fine too. Personally I enjoy being able to leave my phone behind and not get bothered as long as the media I want actually loads onto the watch.
Oh that's great to hear. And hey maybe that new compass will make the GPS-only run tracking even better. In any case I'm leaning strongly towards GPS-only then, thanks!

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

FYI you can apparently call 911 on the cellular watch without a plan (note that I have not tested this lol) which could be a reason to get one instead of GPS-only

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Clark Nova posted:

FYI you can apparently call 911 on the cellular watch without a plan (note that I have not tested this lol) which could be a reason to get one instead of GPS-only

I like going out to run around the lake with just my watch and earbuds for music - but it's a pretty limited use case

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

You can call 911 from any phone as long as it has a signal.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

MarcusSA posted:

You can call 911 from any phone as long as it has a signal.

Even if it doesn't it may be possible. I believe it's the law that a phone can connect to any tower that it's capable of connecting to if you dial 911, regardless of service or carrier.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
The best part of the Series 5 launch is now the search begins for a cheap used series 4.

It's hard right now though, Craigslist is brimming with people who haven't caught on that their aluminum series 4 isn't worth $350, but you know, give it time.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Even if it doesn't it may be possible. I believe it's the law that a phone can connect to any tower that it's capable of connecting to if you dial 911, regardless of service or carrier.

Yeah sorry that’s pretty much what I meant.

Violator
May 15, 2003

LionArcher posted:

Never had an Apple Watch. Thinking about grabbing a series 3 for swimming and general health tracking. A good buy now that they are cheap?

Yeah, I’m still using a series 3 and plan on sticking with it. It’s the first model that felt fast enough where everything almost always feels snappy. Swimming, health tracking, and general notifications/quick actions should be great for a long time to come.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Taima posted:

The best part of the Series 5 launch is now the search begins for a cheap used series 4.

It's hard right now though, Craigslist is brimming with people who haven't caught on that their aluminum series 4 isn't worth $350, but you know, give it time.

Someday people will learn that you gotta unload that stuff BEFORE the apple announcement but today is not that day.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Are the new watches in store already to view? I wanna check that titanium out.

I miss the grey ceramic :(

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Violator posted:

Yeah, I’m still using a series 3 and plan on sticking with it. It’s the first model that felt fast enough where everything almost always feels snappy. Swimming, health tracking, and general notifications/quick actions should be great for a long time to come.

Thanks! And it looks like getting one would still give me Apple TV + for a year. I’ll wait till target has a sale around Black Friday to pick one up for even cheaper (I have the red card, so 5% off no matter what).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jealous Cow posted:

Are the new watches in store already to view? I wanna check that titanium out.

I miss the grey ceramic :(
Stores almost never have things prior to the launch day, though the original Watch was an exception.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Did a watchOS 6 GM drop today? I installed the iOS 13 GM and would like to do the same for my watch if possible.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

SeANMcBAY posted:

Did a watchOS 6 GM drop today? I installed the iOS 13 GM and would like to do the same for my watch if possible.

As far as I know WatchOS updates can only be done OTA, so until Apple flips the switch, I don't think you'll be able to. There's no way to download it and manually install it.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
e: wrong thread

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

LionArcher posted:

Here’s a review of it from a triathlete:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/11/apple-watch-series3-cellular-fitness-sport-review.html

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

SeANMcBAY posted:

I'm pretty sure Apple Watches, at least maybe prior to the Series 5, were not technically cellular phones but data enabled devices that could do VOIP through their LTE connections.

Like, you can't dial 911 with a Kindle.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Yeast posted:

The display cover is one of the best reasons to not buy an Alu model.

You may get tiny nicks on the Sapphire that don't show up when the display is on, but you won't get the scratches like the standard glass, at all.

Looking at the 2 different watches side by side after even 6 months of wear is eye opening.

What are you doing to scratch the watch?

There is only a single scratch on my S2 and it was caused by a dog biting me on the wrist (lucky I was wearing it actually)

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Yeah, I don’t think they actually use the eSIM standard either do they?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
These new two-color loops are dope and I’m gonna spend money I don’t need to spend.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Yeah the watch configurator is neat as hell, I was afraid I'd gonna end up with another black or white band. Torn between the red and yellow ones though. :v:

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

These new two-color loops are dope and I’m gonna spend money I don’t need to spend.

Oo I *like* these.. was using different nylon bands before they did the loop, similar effect.

drat I’m tempted to spend some money too now.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Zwille posted:

Yeah the watch configurator is neat as hell, I was afraid I'd gonna end up with another black or white band. Torn between the red and yellow ones though. :v:

I’m torn between that yellow one and the Alaskan blue

I’m really digging that cream colored accent.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Can anyone confirm a cellular watch without service can still dial 911? I get it’s the law for cell phones: didn’t think it’d apply the same for a watch

Anyone else accidentally dialed 911 via emergency SOS :doh:

Krispy Wafer posted:

You can use Apple Pay without your phone on any new Watch.

Ya this owns technology is dope

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Sep 11, 2019

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Curious to see how they deal with complication updates and the always on screen. Not unusual to see stale data today when you lift your wrist which is then updated a second later.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I think that one animation has just the time always showing and complications popping up on raise. At least that’s what it looks like.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
What’s the benefit of an always on display? I’m perfectly content with my display just being on when I lift my wrist, and I’ve had no issue with that functioning correctly.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Because it's been a requested feature since the series 0 and Apple is in the business of selling as much stuff as they can.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

zelah posted:

What’s the benefit of an always on display? I’m perfectly content with my display just being on when I lift my wrist, and I’ve had no issue with that functioning correctly.

I have, so now we're tied!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

zelah posted:

It's kind of edge cases but sometimes my arm is positioned so my watch screen is in full view but the screen is inactive, and I do the awkward turning my wrist away and then back again movement to see the time. And the raise wrist to activate doesn't always work which can be a pain, especially if you don't have a free hand to tap the screen.

Definitely useful but yeah not a huge deal.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

zelah posted:

Well, normal watches are always on, not just a black screen, so makes sense people would want a watch to act like a normal watch. I don't have any issues with my series 4 coming on when I turn my wrist, but I do wish it was always on like a normal watch I guess. Not enough to upgrade but it makes sense to me.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The wrist movement detection to turn the screen on isn't anything close to perfect, particularly if I'm laying on my back, so getting rid of that entirely is a good move and makes the whole device a lot less annoying to interact with

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Clark Nova posted:

The wrist movement detection to turn the screen on isn't anything close to perfect, particularly if I'm laying on my back, so getting rid of that entirely is a good move and makes the whole device a lot less annoying to interact with

They aren't getting rid of that completely, it will still be used to brighten the screen. Basically it will act like current watches, except instead of the screen turning off, it goes into a low brightness mode.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah but I'd be able to see the time at 5AM in bed without having to boop it with my nose

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Given the option between an always on screen or a sometimes in screen that comes on when I make a motion that is somewhat unreliable, I'll take the former 100% of the time. It's certainly not worth upgrading from my Series 4 for, though.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

It's certainly not worth upgrading from my Series 4 for, though.

I keep telling myself that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I keep telling myself that...

Like, realtalk, I had every intention of getting a Series 5, but had to get the Series 4 because my Series 2 decided to fall apart and Apple claimed it wasn't the battery this time. They were nice enough to give me a discount, at least.