Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
well they're both 2001 ps2 jrpgs that look and feel like n64 games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hey now, Shadow Hearts is at least Dreamcast quality. Now Okage definitely has that N64 vaseline filter and aimless open fields looking straight out of Quest 64 but at least it doesn't rotate the camera around after every battle.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
SH1 is more PS1 quality because that what it started development as.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i actaully really like shadow hearts and okage's aesthetics lol

okage's look is interesting cause it's obviously super cheap but the art direction is so strong that it kind of fits together really well. well, minus the dungeons

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I like Shadow Hearts 1 pre-rendered backgrounds too.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Okage's world is super fun to look at but they could've done a second pass on the monsters, most of which don't really animate so much as they float or leap through the air like there's zero gravity. The ones with the big goofy grins are cool and Treasure's Stretch Panic has a bunch of gloppy, smooth big grinning abstract beasts as well. If the game came out later there'd probably be more flourishes to it like Chulip which has a similar style.

But I have serious questions for the sound engineer who grabbed the very first "sproing" sound effect from whatever library they ripped it from. Every time Stan appears It's like Sonic's jump pitched up.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think the game just. had a very small budget

like the concept art for the game is super distinct and vibrant and the game does a great job transferring it into a 3d space and, none of that art encompasses the dungeons that are just a series of square grey rooms. and the studio that made the game beforehand only made, like, some random weird third party gameboy games. i think okage was literally the biggest game they ever made and it's still only, like, 20 hours long, at least six hours of which is, the badly made dungeons, or backtracking through existing locations.

it's a shame that it doesn't seem like most of the key staff on it ever went onto anything else, like the artist for okage has a beautifully weird and distinct style and i just... can't find any other credits or work that he's done since lol

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the english translation for the game also kinda, like, melts towards the end. the early stuff is actually pretty good and seems to translate over character personalities and general humor really naturally, and then you get to the back half of chapter 5 onwards and the dialog is still mostly readable, but it starts to feel a lot more... strained? and there are some random side gags that just feel like, they did not get any kind of editing pass at all, like the grave stones in the mountain village

this one line from epros made me laugh though

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w56ika8zy7A
Suppose they didn't want that work put into the PSP port languishing.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Hogama posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w56ika8zy7A
Suppose they didn't want that work put into the PSP port languishing.

It really does look the same as the PSP version but with better character portraits. Like, literally. Weird.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Theres a mogay bomb item in Grandia 2. No explanation for the name or its seemingly unlisted effect of wrecking enemy turn order and Ive never used it before since I never used items much before so thanks grandia 1 for making my grandia 2 run slightly better

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i really like quest 64's aesthetic but that's mostly because of the goofy monster designs

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Half the monsters are palette swaps of rabbits holding knives.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Barudak posted:

Im curious why Grandia 1 over 2. Normally i know Im a mechanics over everything kind of person but the story of Grandia 2 is just told a lot better and frankly more interesting to me which is odd because theyve got a lot of overlap.

The 7th Guest posted:

grandia 2 has the better gameplay but the characters are much more boring archetypes and the story is much more generic

justin, feena and sue are so much better than ryudo, elena and... the..others

back in boarding school we were watching my friend play grandia 2 and there's this scene where ryudo and elena are talking on a moonlit beach at night and they're both completely oblivious, and my buddy just up and shouts "just gently caress already jesus!"

grandia 1 otoh feena is like "justin i love you" and justin is like "yeah i think i love you too feena... huh that's pretty cool" so they're already lightyears ahead in characterization without even touching on anything else in the game

Barudak posted:

Theres a mogay bomb item in Grandia 2. No explanation for the name or its seemingly unlisted effect of wrecking enemy turn order and Ive never used it before since I never used items much before so thanks grandia 1 for making my grandia 2 run slightly better

iirc it specifically ruins their Initiative or whatever, which you can also achieve by stacking Stram (though single target only). if you're playing on normal, to put hard mode into perspective, if you don't use these items to do this kinda poo poo you'll die all the time

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Sep 11, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im not caught back up to the romance bits in Grandia 2, butmy entire opinion of Grandia 1s character so thoroughly tanked during the part where the party abandons you that Im leaning towards giving godawful cliche drivel the nod here.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i guess that's fair, i played it on an emulator so if there was anything i didn't particularly care for i could just speedup through it.

bonus points it's one of those games where the gameplay speeds up but the music does not

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's 9/11 and if there's one thing I didn't forget, it's that Queen's Wish is out today.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Barudak posted:

Makes you mo' gay

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Barudak posted:

Im not caught back up to the romance bits in Grandia 2, butmy entire opinion of Grandia 1s character so thoroughly tanked during the part where the party abandons you that Im leaning towards giving godawful cliche drivel the nod here.

Why? That part was great. He gives up right at the moment everyone needs him and is rightfully dragged through the mud until he regains the confidence to get poo poo done. Only Tales of the Abyss had a roasting that harsh.

It’s a moment echoed in FF15 but there Gladiolus takes it way too far.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its basically both completely out of left field how brutal everyone is (14 year old boy who convinced me to leave my endless lifetimes of isolation you experienced a single moment of self doubt after being gaslit by a "good person"? Im going to abandon you and tell you that you are the worst most pointless thing in my endlessly long life and that by having any self doubt I am doomed to a life of sorrow no matter what happens should have died alone instead) and how loving quickly these assholes show back up to root for you and act like they truly believe in you. No, Rapp and Liete, you aren't welcome back and I hope Gaia turns you to stone.

Edit: Ok the sprites were goofy in Grandia 1 but sweet Granas the slowdown in handheld mode in Grandia 2 is game ruining and Id be docking points left and right here if I were a reviewer.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Sep 11, 2019

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Grandia 2 has slowdown in every incarnation.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

iirc it specifically ruins their Initiative or whatever, which you can also achieve by stacking Stram (though single target only). if you're playing on normal, to put hard mode into perspective, if you don't use these items to do this kinda poo poo you'll die all the time
Did they change this at some point? I played Grandia 2 on hard mode in its entirety when it came out on Steam. It was my first playthrough, and I had absolutely no issue with the game. It wasn't a sleepwalk but I certainly didn't have to bust out esoteric item strats to survive normal encounters. I thought the difficulty level was quite satisfying actually. Just enough where you need to actually think about your strategy for most fights, but not so much that there's only one correct strategy and if you're not following it you die.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Verranicus posted:

Grandia 2 has slowdown in every incarnation.

Maybe its my memories failing me here but I dont remember it ever chugging in dialog or in battle wrap up screens on the dreamcast. Hell the switch version sometimes chugs while using the menu. The fact that all of the slowdown goes away when you put it into docked mode also makes me think its a port issue not a game issue.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the switch port of grandia ii hd has been reported as having a ton of issues i don't remember ever hearing about in the pc version, so

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Barudak posted:

Its basically both completely out of left field how brutal everyone is (14 year old boy who convinced me to leave my endless lifetimes of isolation you experienced a single moment of self doubt after being gaslit by a "good person"? Im going to abandon you and tell you that you are the worst most pointless thing in my endlessly long life and that by having any self doubt I am doomed to a life of sorrow no matter what happens should have died alone instead) and how loving quickly these assholes show back up to root for you and act like they truly believe in you. No, Rapp and Liete, you aren't welcome back and I hope Gaia turns you to stone.

Edit: Ok the sprites were goofy in Grandia 1 but sweet Granas the slowdown in handheld mode in Grandia 2 is game ruining and Id be docking points left and right here if I were a reviewer.

Everybody is on edge as the end of the world looms ahead so I can't blame anyone for being super disappointed when the party leader -- who has gotten by this far on pure strength of will -- just decides to turn it in and let his friend sacrifice herself pointlessly. Some people need tough love and in the end they show up after cooling off for a bit because they still stand by the dude.

It's not like Gladiolus who physically assaults Noctis because he's sad after losing basically everything in his life overnight. Noctis isn't even turning his back on his mission, the dude is just understandably mopey and homey is grabbing him by the collar.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Romancing Saga 3 out November 11th, Scarlet Grace out December 3rd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yllzq7L9yMA

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Having finished Chapter 7 of Trails SC, I got a pretty good laugh out of Rene's tower being all straight lines to the teleporter until the very last segment where it turned into a ridiculous maze. It was a perfect summation of it being warped by a child who is also a huge prick.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Samuringa posted:

Having finished Chapter 7 of Trails SC, I got a pretty good laugh out of Rene's tower being all straight lines to the teleporter until the very last segment where it turned into a ridiculous maze. It was a perfect summation of it being warped by a child who is also a huge prick.

The next part is kind of a long slog but it has one of the best (semi) hidden sidequests in the whole game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

al-azad posted:

Everybody is on edge as the end of the world looms ahead so I can't blame anyone for being super disappointed when the party leader -- who has gotten by this far on pure strength of will -- just decides to turn it in and let his friend sacrifice herself pointlessly. Some people need tough love and in the end they show up after cooling off for a bit because they still stand by the dude.

It's not like Gladiolus who physically assaults Noctis because he's sad after losing basically everything in his life overnight. Noctis isn't even turning his back on his mission, the dude is just understandably mopey and homey is grabbing him by the collar.

this whole scene is predicated on a person killing themself and providing no direction and putting the onus on Justin to make it meaningful, the villain side character loving gasliting the poo poo out of Justin and everyone just sort of ignoring that and saying he makes good points, then the character who does ultimately help you providing 0 help until you get ridiculed by everyone despite Justin asking for help prior to the scene where he confronts Feena.

Oh and its ridiculously unfair for two people to be like oh the driven 14 year old experiences self doubt after a journey where he has repeatedly been taught to respect others intuitions and desires over his own leave him on the premise theyll just wait for death now. Like gently caress you, not only does Justin ask you for support but you deny it but youre doing something even worse than what Justin is and blaming him for your own lovely actions because apprently its his job to make you happy and motivated all the time.

Then when back together and Justin is like fine Ill solo the rest of the game because everyone abandoned me they swoop in and are like good job, now I wont kill myself. This whole sequence is a bunch of shitheads getting their way and dodging all blame for their own actions and the emotional impact it has on others to the point where they felt borderline abusive.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah i felt like ff9 did that same idea but way better because it was zidane getting depressed enough to abandon everyone else and then everyone else chasing after him

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Endorph posted:

yeah i felt like ff9 did that same idea but way better because it was zidane getting depressed enough to abandon everyone else and then everyone else chasing after him

Im not a fan of FF9 overall but the you are not alone sequence is probably a peak implementation of this story beat and Grandia 1 feels like what happens when you do everything involving this trope wrong.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

You're Not Alone is also one of the best songs in an already impressive and memorable soundtrack so that helped.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Barudak posted:

this whole scene is predicated on a person killing themself and providing no direction and putting the onus on Justin to make it meaningful, the villain side character loving gasliting the poo poo out of Justin and everyone just sort of ignoring that and saying he makes good points, then the character who does ultimately help you providing 0 help until you get ridiculed by everyone despite Justin asking for help prior to the scene where he confronts Feena.

Oh and its ridiculously unfair for two people to be like oh the driven 14 year old experiences self doubt after a journey where he has repeatedly been taught to respect others intuitions and desires over his own leave him on the premise theyll just wait for death now. Like gently caress you, not only does Justin ask you for support but you deny it but youre doing something even worse than what Justin is and blaming him for your own lovely actions because apprently its his job to make you happy and motivated all the time.

Then when back together and Justin is like fine Ill solo the rest of the game because everyone abandoned me they swoop in and are like good job, now I wont kill myself. This whole sequence is a bunch of shitheads getting their way and dodging all blame for their own actions and the emotional impact it has on others to the point where they felt borderline abusive.

Rapp is an rear end in a top hat younger than Justin who is confused about what to do, him coming back is his realization to stand by Justin and it would be extremely out of character for him to grovel for an apology. Everyone else supports Justin in that scene including Sue returning which lets not forget it's Justin's disregard for Sue's age and health that causes her to leave but she gathers all their friends together for one last hurrah.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Apropos of almost nothing, is Saga Frontier 2 worth playing or is it just stupid pretty in screenshots

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
An hour into Octopath and I'm very much liking it, but I have a hard rear end time picking out paths in dungeons because of some weird combination of the art style and my garbage eyesight and it's frustrating.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Apropos of almost nothing, is Saga Frontier 2 worth playing or is it just stupid pretty in screenshots
SaGa Frontier 2 is, like all SaGa games, a minefield of inscrutable mechanics with zero in-game explanation that somehow comes together to make something that's actually pretty fun and cool.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Samuringa posted:

I'm gonna link something I wrote for the following Chapter, because there's a lot of side-content where you can gently caress yourself over accidentally. You can go ahead and click the spoilers, they're just for anyone who hasn't played the game or gotten to Chapter 8 yet.

quote:

Chapter 8

There's a lot of poo poo to do here with Liberl finally fully open to you, so here's a rundown of what you need to do, and when. Spoilers used for the story parts of the Chapter.

The route you ideally want to take around the regions is Ruan > Rolent (there's a Gambler Jack volume with a slim window here) > Grancel > Zeiss.
You're gonna make two trips around the entire country and stay far away from the Guildhouses the first time round. Walking into one triggers you having to hand over a ZPG. Grancel's one is "safe", however, in this regard. The first is to pick off the two Monster Elimination jobs, along with a set of bonus enemy fights that are now available on top of each region's Tower. Clearing the fight at the top of each Tower gets you a very nice accessory.
The Monsters in each region can be found here to save you the hassle;
  • Krone Pass
  • New Ansel Pass
  • Elize Highway
  • Milch Main Road
  • Gull Seaside Way
  • Sapphirl Tower (right outside it)
  • Ritter Roadway
  • Tratt Plains
  • Grancel Sewers (it's sitting at the now-broken hidden passage between the West and East sides on the East side.)
  • Erbe Scenic Route
In both FC and SC Lloyd's told you about how he's gonna catch the King of Valleria Lake. Now's the time to piss on his life's ambitions and catch it yourself. Go to Valleria Shore and fish on the pier behind the Inn using the Metal Rod Trident or Aqua Master (which you should have by now easily). Use Trout for bait, along with liberal save-scumming, and you'll hoist up the Dynatrad! Lloyd will give you a card saying Estelle is a Master Fisherwoman, and if you turn that in at the Fisherman's Guild in Grancel they will now sell you every kind of bait in the game.
Ruan, Zeiss and Rolent each have a sidequest with a decent bit of content during Chapter 8, but they only become available after you swing by the Guildhouse. Going to the relevant locations beforehand just gets you generic "oh hey Estelle :wave:' remarks.
Go visit Ravennue Village and talk to Sting for a great Time Quartz.
Do you remember a house for sale in Grancel's Western District at the end of FC? Go visit it now before finishing the story content it's unavailable after all three ZPG's are delivered and you will find a store that sells Sepith. Burn as much money as can and want here, because you won't be able to spend any in the final chapter.
While in the Kaldia Tunnel, check out the south-facing cave right near the Zeiss side. You'll find a group of very lost Divine Penguins lurking about. Beat the poo poo out of them for an accessory that boosts every stat except Range.
Once you've completed at least two of the three story objectives for the chapter, go back to Bose. There's sale on in the Bose Market with a new weapon for Joshua, along with two new recipes - Mystery Paste Plus and Worldly Stew.
If you did the ring-retrieval sidequest earlier in Rolent, you can see the wedding in the Chapel after completing the sidequest there.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
What does the spinning wheel of elements in mana khemia synthesis do and why did anybody at Gust think it was a good idea

Its weirdly behind the Iris games in a few key ways but has good writing. Nikki is my powerful beast friend.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Nikki is great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
didn't know EA made an FFX sequel set in middle earth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPTuTWu9osw