Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

don't make a separate thread plz post it all here or in home spergin'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BigRed0427 posted:

Oh yeah. I'm not putting a lot of actual candles in the room. Maybe a yankee candle or something on my desk, that's it

A straw roof doesnt sound bad, I'll have to look into how to do that. Maybe you could use the panels to glue straw to and just put them back up.

i pictured it working sort of like a weave, I dont know how long hay is, but basically under one bar, over the middle, and under on the other side, with the grid offset. You could probably do this with artificial fibers or just fabric for the same effect

here is an important illustration

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Turn that coven from Blair Witch basement to Hereditary chic in 5 easy spells

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

bring back old gbs posted:

i pictured it working sort of like a weave, I dont know how long hay is, but basically under one bar, over the middle, and under on the other side, with the grid offset. You could probably do this with artificial fibers or just fabric for the same effect

here is an important illustration

Then rushes on the floor

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
HAY ON WALLS

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

The Bloop posted:

HAY ON WALLS

That's what I was immediately thinking. Hay on ceiling? Really? The Japanese had tatami mats, but I'm pretty sure even they were not putting them on the ceiling.

Also, is there some e/n reason the roommate thought they'd be doing all the work, or are you really bad st explaining?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

value-brand cereal posted:

That's what I was immediately thinking. Hay on ceiling? Really? The Japanese had tatami mats, but I'm pretty sure even they were not putting them on the ceiling.

Also, is there some e/n reason the roommate thought they'd be doing all the work, or are you really bad st explaining?

Well she use to work construction, so she knows what kind of work is involved in what I wanna do just to get the room decent. So she started to get angry when i explained that i wanted to tear the drop ceiling down.

How she jumped to shes gonna have to do it...I dont know. I wanna be the one to do it. Me and my GF are gonna ha e to put a lot of work into this place and it's best we learn now.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

curried lamb of God posted:

Dumb, simple question: I have a mattress and box spring, currently laying on the ground. What kind of bed/bed frame should I get to make my room actually look like a grown-up's? I like the look of the generic mid-century wood frames from CB2/West Elm, but they look like they're designed for just the mattress. Should I just go for a platform bed and add a tall headboard?

Some box springs can have feet mounted on them just to lift them from the floor.
Otherwise why not visit a specialty store and explain what you have and ask for advice?

Overnight Blaze
Mar 7, 2017

BigRed0427 posted:

Well she use to work construction, so she knows what kind of work is involved in what I wanna do just to get the room decent. So she started to get angry when i explained that i wanted to tear the drop ceiling down.

How she jumped to shes gonna have to do it...I dont know. I wanna be the one to do it. Me and my GF are gonna ha e to put a lot of work into this place and it's best we learn now.

Have you tried telling your roommate that you'll be doing the work? Maybe she's thinking, since she's done construction, that you'll be relying on her for advice or an extra hand, especially since you are trying to learn how to do projects like this. Maybe she's assuming that you don't know how much work it will be and she'll get roped into helping. Just talk to her, try explaining that you've looked into how much work it will be but you're prepared and willing to do it all yourself :shrug:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
BigRed was upset that someone at some point put a nail in the wall, and didn't think it could be fixed.

There's no way the roommate isn't going to have to step in and do way more than she wants.

BigRed, take like a year off and watch This Old House and read Apartment Therapy DIYs, Centsational Style, and other DIY blogs. That will at least help you get a grasp on what can be done and what it will entail. Then you can go forward with whatever elements you still think are a good idea.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Without turning this into an e/n thread, I suspect there's more here we're not privy to.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Anne Whateley posted:

BigRed was upset that someone at some point put a nail in the wall, and didn't think it could be fixed.

There's no way the roommate isn't going to have to step in and do way more than she wants.

BigRed, take like a year off and watch This Old House and read Apartment Therapy DIYs, Centsational Style, and other DIY blogs. That will at least help you get a grasp on what can be done and what it will entail. Then you can go forward with whatever elements you still think are a good idea.

The nail wasnt upsetting, it was being yelled at by my roommate because I just told her my plans.

Overnight Blaze
Mar 7, 2017

BigRed0427 posted:

The nail wasnt upsetting, it was being yelled at by my roommate because I just told her my plans.

I'm not trying to jump on you, but it is a good amount of work to do what you want (replacing the ceiling, tearing up the carpet and refinishing the floors), and by your own admission you want to learn how to do all this. It's pretty reasonable for someone much more experienced to assume that they'll have to help, either because they're asked or because they live there too. You don't seem to have a clear vision of what you want to do, just a general aesthetic, and that can lead to problems down the way like having to redo stuff.

Really, though, if you and your gf own the house, you can do whatever you want to it. If your roommate has a problem with you making your house look how you want it to, she can suck it up or move out. Don't let her prevent you from being happy with your house, but understand that she has more knowledge about construction than you and you might be able to utilize her expertise.

Edit:

Anne Whateley posted:

This is also a great idea and something you should really consider

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
The best is on Grand Designs on Netflix when someone with no construction experience decides they're going to be project manager because everyone else was too expensive or flat out refused. I can't get enough

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

This was before you talked to your roommate. Seriously if you aren't even aware that a nail hole can be patched, you need to absorb some basics before you can begin doing things or even decide what to do.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
In the biz we call full sheets of sheetrock "nail patches"

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

OP don’t listen to all these lily-livered ‘armchair contractors’ that don’t understand your aesthetic vision. It’s called Do It Yourself not ‘think about it yourself’ and so the first step in realizing your dream is to get ‘Doing’ and the first step of any construction project is D for Demolition. Tear out that drop ceiling! Start ripping up carpet! What would a real witch do? Read about it or start hexing people?

Most of all post pics.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Just keep one thing in mind when building your home: The ladies.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

The Bloop posted:

This is either going to be a rare masterpiece or a glorious disaster and I am rapt

I feel a new title incoming

A gingerbread masterpiece or a gretelhaus, stay tuned for the thrilling conclusion

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Having a vision for a room is good - but as others have said, maybe it's worth considering scaling back for the short term, to give yourself time to learn about the things you don't already know how to do. My guess is that the main thing you want is for the room to be comfortable and a place you like to spend time in - am I far off with that?

If that's kind of the thing, maybe start with figuring out what furniture and where, to make the room work for you and not against you. Then patching and painting the walls, and putting up some curtains that you like.

IMHO, if the various bracket mounts and nails and so forth are nice and solid, use them rather than pull and patch. Securing new ones in plaster isn't rocket science, but it is a chore to get right if you don't know plaster. If somebody's already done the work, why not use it to your advantage, and hang stuff where they are?

T'were it me (I'm aware that it isn't), pulling the old carpet would be next. It looks worn, and even if the floor underneath isn't beautiful, it will be cleaner than somebody else's old carpet, and a decent coat of wax on a rustic floor, with a small rug or two, might just give you the cottage-y look you want.

And maybe get a couple of tall potted plants (or even dry branches) for either side of the window, and put the fairy lights on those for now to see how you like living with them without the hassle of a permanent install (for now).

If you can get the walls, furnishings, and floor to make you happy, then the ceiling won't be such a focal point - so you'll be able to ignore the ceiling until you're able to tackle it. And in the meantime, the room will be clean and liveable.

Then you can live in the room for a while and see what else it really wants, where it works for you and where it doesn't.

One more thought - I'd be all over the local thrift shops for furnishings on something like this.

Just some thoughts on getting the feel of the thing and a way to try stuff out without major demolition or construction - YMMV.

TofuDiva fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 10, 2019

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

That ceiling is easily the worst and hardest project of everything you listed. Pay to get it done and don't prioritize it. Even covering up what's under the drop ceiling with sheet rock will really suck and if you're new to it your joints are going to look like poo poo and probably crack in a year.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

OP don’t listen to all these lily-livered ‘armchair contractors’ that don’t understand your aesthetic vision. It’s called Do It Yourself not ‘think about it yourself’ and so the first step in realizing your dream is to get ‘Doing’ and the first step of any construction project is D for Demolition. Tear out that drop ceiling! Start ripping up carpet! What would a real witch do? Read about it or start hexing people?

Most of all post pics.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

PRADA SLUT posted:

I feel a new title incoming

DIY > Interior Design Thread: Like a gingerbread masterpiece made by Masaokis or Simply Sara

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Alright folks I think they've gotten the point, we can back off now.

(do post pics though)

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
I mean if you're going to do a witch aesthetic I'd actually be down for some Victorian gingerbread vibes, that could be legit cool

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I'm thinking actual candy personally

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I hope this isn't continuing the e/n-ing stuff, but thanks for explaining, BigRed0427! Definitely read up on construction techniques, and please do post pics of your progress ITT! There's plenty of people with diy and construction experience, and I'm sure you'll get some good feedback.

Brawnfire posted:

I'm thinking actual candy personally

This makes me wonder what would be the worse and most dangerous thing to put on your ceiling. Hay is flammable but would burn quickly. Candy like hard peppermints wouldn't exactly burn, but if it gets hot enough you'll have hot sugar dripping on you. Though if you're still inside a burning building at that point, that's probably the least worrying thing to deal with.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I hope this isn't continuing the e/n-ing stuff, but thanks for explaining, BigRed0427! Definitely read up on construction techniques, and please do post pics of your progress ITT! There's plenty of people with diy and construction experience, and I'm sure you'll get some good feedback.

This makes me wonder what would be the worse and most dangerous thing to put on your ceiling. Hay is flammable but would burn quickly. Candy like hard peppermints wouldn't exactly burn, but if it gets hot enough you'll have hot sugar dripping on you. Though if you're still inside a burning building at that point, that's probably the least worrying thing to deal with.

Candle-lit balloons full of gasoline?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

C4 ceiling adornments

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

that's probably the least worryingdelicious thing to deal with.

Brawnfire posted:

C4 ceiling adornments

C4 burns like sterno so.....eh...could be a lot worse things to put up there.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

This makes me wonder what would be the worse and most dangerous thing to put on your ceiling.

Multiple unwatered Christmas trees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr6b9b8FYKk

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

cakesmith handyman posted:

Candle-lit balloons full of gasoline?
You could do a really cool Art Deco look complete with balloon-zeppelins roaming around the candlelit room

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Well, that's festive! Makes me think "Christ" at least.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Brawnfire posted:

Well, that's festive! Makes me think "Christ" at least.

This thread makes me think "Christ" pretty frequently

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I'm gonna interrupt Groverroom chat to ask what kind of countertop this is? It looks cool as hell

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Probably a laminate or swirled quartz type, but blue Bahia granite has a similar if more subdued look.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

The Bloop posted:

This thread makes me think "Christ" pretty frequently

DIY>Intelligent Design Thread: This thread makes me think "Christ" pretty frequently

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Mr. Mambold posted:

DIY>Intelligent Design Thread: This thread makes me think "Christ" pretty frequently

Admins, please.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Intelligent design? Twice-wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Youth Decay posted:

I'm gonna interrupt Groverroom chat to ask what kind of countertop this is? It looks cool as hell

That’s my D&D map.