Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Feldegast42 posted:

How the gently caress does anybody like those PragerU videos? Like I can't imagine anybody but the most homeschooled straight laced kid watching them, and even those kids would still nod off halfway through and flip to some maga chud compliations or some poo poo

They're for parents to harass their kids with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

There was only one PU vid that was any good. A history instructor from West Point clearly and with contemporary examples showed that, yes, the civil war was about slavery.

Not sure how that one slipped through.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

MrUnderbridge posted:

There was only one PU vid that was any good. A history instructor from West Point clearly and with contemporary examples showed that, yes, the civil war was about slavery.

Because it wasn't good due to all the other stuff it said.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I'm pretty sure there's a lot of retirees that only use the Internet for FaceBook and PragerU.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

PhazonLink posted:

burn all of social media down, jeus christ, people and their skinner boxes.

Old man yells at cloud.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Feldegast42 posted:

How the gently caress does anybody like those PragerU videos? Like I can't imagine anybody but the most homeschooled straight laced kid watching them, and even those kids would still nod off halfway through and flip to some maga chud compliations or some poo poo

I'm still not quite sure where the astroturfing begins and ends with PragerU. Like, despite the millions of views that each video seem to get, I've never seen PragerU fans out "in the wild", or even maga chuds that say that PragerU was their first step towards the alt-right. Most of the younger-sounding call-ins to Dennis Prager's radio show seem to be reciting the same script ("I'm the only conservative student at my university, your videos really educate me and equip me to fight the Liberal Hordes in the marketplace of ideas, you're such a breath of fresh air, etc etc.") It doesn't seem like the videos spread and go viral "organically", they're always just blared by conservative influencers.

I mean, there's still the Facebook Grandpa demographic, but there appears to be a big emphasis on PragerU's part to make it seem like it has broad appeal among the young folk, when I haven't really seen any evidence of that being the case.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

HootTheOwl posted:

Because it wasn't good due to all the other stuff it said.

Wait, what was wrong with that one? I thought I remembered it being solid.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

MrUnderbridge posted:

they actually tweeted that video last week, and i'm sure you'll find it surprising that the people who made the biggest stink about it were people who are the biggest fans of prager u for some mysterious reason

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

pookel posted:

Wait, what was wrong with that one? I thought I remembered it being solid.
It's five minutes of "the civil war was about slavery, not these other causes, which are valid reasons to fight a war over" including 'elitism' and 'cultural differences'

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Feldegast42 posted:

They are geared towards two things, which is homeschooling psychotic evangelical Christians indoctrinating their children and older white people who watch YouTube without ad blockers.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I was watching some YouTube videos on my TV a few weeks back and they keep playing the "The most important legal case ever!" as for PragerU. It was horrifying.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That Civil War one was the first PU video I ever saw, which was confusing when I tried the next one and it was unbridled horseshit.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Feldegast42 posted:

that is literally their target audience, although I'm pretty sure the actual viewers are mostly 60+ boomers

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

moths posted:

That Civil War one was the first PU video I ever saw, which was confusing when I tried the next one and it was unbridled horseshit.

The Civil War one is a deliberate appeal to centrist respectability politics to draw people in with "well this seems entirely reasonable!" It's not even particularly good history, it's the kind of poo poo a high school teacher should be covering in like 10 minutes of class time for every American.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Chilichimp posted:

we made fun of him for it, but Sebastian Gorka going back to talk radio is probably where most of these failed grifters will end up.

I may have mentioned it up thread but I caught a few minutes of Rush bashing "'podcasters', whatever that is" and he seemed genuinely baffled.

"Guess he does a 'podcast' now since radio won't have him. Bunch of liberals who can't get on the radio"

and I laughed my rear end off.

Yes, Rush, I'd much rather listen to podcasts.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
PragerU's plan is to poo poo up YouTube by paying a ton of money to run their videos as really long ads and shift the dialogue. They also ask people to talk about the ad video in the comments to the real video to make Youtube comments even worse and more political across the board.

On the bright side, supposedly it's not really working and we're not crazy/wishful thinking. It didn't turn up with a quick search, but somebody had the YouTube ad demographics for PragerU a little while ago and it confirmed that some ridiculous amount of their ad viewers were old and a laughably small percent were even under 35.

It's hard to tell if it's just a grift that's going according to plan or a gently caress-up because they don't understand the Internet and are flailing to reach young people. Turning Point has a similar problem. Although, yes, they do also serve to provide "educational" videos for conservative and evangelical parents who want to brainwash their kids. That's more of a side effect I imagine though, since I think that space is already a little crowded.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Chilichimp posted:

Hannity is actually a prime example. I’ve never met anyone that actually likes him, but his radio show just chugs along. All these turds have to do is be a reason for old white men to turn on the radio and listen to lifelock commercials.

I've met plenty of people who like him but I live in the southeast. He's the media personality where, when you're arguing with some chud about liberal media bias, that's where they concede the conservative slant. So, to them, you have to get to Sean loving Hannity to reach the point in the news where the Overton Window breaks from the center. Even the assholes who admit he's an rear end in a top hat do the "well, he raises some good points sometimes" bullshit.

No, he doesn't. He does not.

Feldegast42 posted:

The same sorts of people who listen to an Amway presentation and go "yeah, you know, that kind of makes sense!"

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 11, 2019

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

the PragerU videos would be boring as gently caress even if I agreed with them, nobody listens to those who isn't already deep in the tank and so desperate for validation of their beliefs they won't turn anything off if it agrees with them

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

PragerU's plan is to poo poo up YouTube by paying a ton of money to run their videos as really long ads and shift the dialogue. They also ask people to talk about the ad video in the comments to the real video to make Youtube comments even worse and more political across the board.

On the bright side, supposedly it's not really working and we're not crazy/wishful thinking. It didn't turn up with a quick search, but somebody had the YouTube ad demographics for PragerU a little while ago and it confirmed that some ridiculous amount of their ad viewers were old and a laughably small percent were even under 35.

It's hard to tell if it's just a grift that's going according to plan or a gently caress-up because they don't understand the Internet and are flailing to reach young people. Turning Point has a similar problem. Although, yes, they do also serve to provide "educational" videos for conservative and evangelical parents who want to brainwash their kids. That's more of a side effect I imagine though, since I think that space is already a little crowded.

It's like all those lovely Christian TV and Radio stations out there. You need to "evangelize" the message alongside pushing your latest scam sales, and part of what you're doing is soliciting money to keep running the outlet. And that means a pretty successful funding model.

You don't care that you're only really reaching true believers, the true believers think they're converting tons of people. And it's not really much of a grift so much as a straight up business of selling "we're getting out your message!".

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

VitalSigns posted:

the PragerU videos would be boring as gently caress even if I agreed with them, nobody listens to those who isn't already deep in the tank and so desperate for validation of their beliefs they won't turn anything off if it agrees with them

This is true but you're also presumably a relatively younger person. Now imagine you're an older white boomer or Gen Xer looking for cat videos or funny videos of people hurting themselves on YouTube and this video comes up telling you how "FEMINISM IS DESTROYING MEN" before your video and you're like "holy poo poo I need to send this to all my friends and family!" and down the rabbit hole you go.

Prager U is incomprehensible to us because we are decidedly not the target audience, and it is funny that even after spending tens of millions of dollars they weren't particularly effective on their own target audience at that.

I shudder to think how many children are being homeschooled using Prager U tho. :smith:

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

tek79 posted:

Shapiro being a married is baffling to me. That's not to shame his wife, who might genuinely love him for whatever odd reason, but what's the initial appeal? How the hell did that come about?

Shorter than me: Check
Petulant, smug rear end in a top hat at all times: Check
Archaic, hateful, ignorant worldview: Check
Voice that can rip paint off walls: Check

Like, if anybody deserves to be a lonely incel, it's Ben Shapiro.

Far right women are just as brainwashed. Condescending, Archaic, Smug, are all just synonyms for Powerful, Intelligent, Moral to them. If you've ever dated a woman or been friends with women who used to be in one of these heavily enforced traditional religions or like an LDS / Evangelical offshoot cult you see sometimes, no matter how out of the church or left leaning they get, they sometimes just gravitate back to these religious white, clean cut, near-abusive if not abusive types that are bigoted and dumb as gently caress.

I've had male friends do something similar but it seems the women slip back into it easier. Maybe that's also because men in general suck so you may as go with the devil you know? I dunno, I'm sure someone smarter than me has looked into this.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Lightning Knight posted:

This is true but you're also presumably a relatively younger person. Now imagine you're an older white boomer or Gen Xer looking for cat videos or funny videos of people hurting themselves on YouTube and this video comes up telling you how "FEMINISM IS DESTROYING MEN" before your video and you're like "holy poo poo I need to send this to all my friends and family!" and down the rabbit hole you go.

Prager U is incomprehensible to us because we are decidedly not the target audience, and it is funny that even after spending tens of millions of dollars they weren't particularly effective on their own target audience at that.

So you mean the right wing videos appeal to.... already right wing people? Who then go and annoy other people who don't care what 50 year old Uncle Jeff thinks about feminism? There's not really a rabbit hole to go down there, they've already been wallowing in that hole since the Clinton administration.

Lightning Knight posted:

I shudder to think how many children are being homeschooled using Prager U tho. :smith:

Quite frankly it's better for those kids to be "educated" by PragerU videos than by quite a lot of the homeschool "education" materials out there. Among other things PragerU can't go full hog on a bunch of the really serious Christian weirdness because they do have to play the game of being outwardly passable to people who are merely Republicans in denial. You're not going to find PragerU saying things like electricity is a mystery noone understands.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

fishmech posted:

So you mean the right wing videos appeal to.... already right wing people? Who then go and annoy other people who don't care what 50 year old Uncle Jeff thinks about feminism?

It appeals to right wing people/the choir, yes, but it also appeals to "apolitical" white people who are immersed in the typical culturally conservative suburban background, which is more problematic/dangerous. Or at least it would, if Prager U videos were less tedious and bland lol.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Lightning Knight posted:

It appeals to right wing people/the choir, yes, but it also appeals to "apolitical" white people who are immersed in the typical culturally conservative suburban background, which is more problematic/dangerous. Or at least it would, if Prager U videos were less tedious and bland lol.

Those people are already right wing, it's the same preaching to the choir story.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

fishmech posted:

Those people are already right wing, it's the same preaching to the choir story.

They are, but they don't know that they are. Or rather, they do not have the political and ideological language to articulate that.

Right wing media is, in effect, an entire assembly line designed to ferry them from that end to open fascism, and it's only interesting in that so many of the participants in the process are either only interested in making money off it rather than any real ideological conviction, or are in denial about their end goals and motivation.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

this loving idiot.

https://twitter.com/JasonSCampbell/status/1171581467362824193

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Wait, so PragerU logic, if progressives want donor transparency, which is code for no equality, then, it must be said that progressives are actually conservatives because conservatives do not want marriage equality for the lgbtq community???

WHAT A TWIST

Progressives are conservatives, which means that they are bad. An easy conclusion to reach if you believe conservatives are bad.

And I do agree, there shouldn't be equality when it comes to donors because not all donors are equal.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/themaxburns/status/1171591437038886912

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

what happened to klippenstein?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Well, there is indeed an argument to be made that by preventing a hot war between Russia and the US nuclear weapons saved many lives. I don't see how holding that out as a hypothesis is controversial. I personally would prefer not being one fuckup away from near total annihilation though.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I'm trying to think of the dumbest possible way to turn conservatives against a policy, and I can't come up with anything dumber than "campaign finance reform is a plot to destroy the NAACP"

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

VitalSigns posted:

I'm trying to think of the dumbest possible way to turn conservatives against a policy, and I can't come up with anything dumber than "campaign finance reform is a plot to destroy the NAACP"

The plight of a neoconservative Never Trump failing to understand their increasingly paleoconservative audience.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

it's like when republicans consistently try to point out that democrats were the party of the confederacy

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Mr Interweb posted:

I'm out of the loop too.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Feldegast42 posted:

lovely olds love them.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

MrUnderbridge posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcy7qV-BGF4

For those curious.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

He lost his dear boy Harry back to the chuds.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Munin posted:

Well, there is indeed an argument to be made that by preventing a hot war between Russia and the US nuclear weapons saved many lives. I don't see how holding that out as a hypothesis is controversial. I personally would prefer not being one fuckup away from near total annihilation though.

there was never going to be a hot war with or without nuclear weapons.

if you're wondering how did they get this guy to do a prager u video - they tricked him into doing it.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Tricked him? Why, I'm shocked! Shocked, I say!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

People underestimate how tired of war the major powers were after WW2. Only the US went away with a "That was awesome!" attitude.

Which probably explains why they celebrate WW2 to this day. It was their last straight victory against an unambiguously evil power.