Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

drat that’s a good idea. Make it so blatantly obvious nobody ever checks...like that episode of Wishbone where the letter was hidden in plain sight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
It's like she looked directly into the heart of this thread.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sinteres posted:

Choose one at random?

The card pumps out 2-3 damage a turn, sometimes as a ping and sometimes with lifelink.

The tokens are incredibly pushed for a 4 mana enchantment with no further investment. Once Merriment is on the battlefield it goes to work for you.

Compare, say, Gideon, Ally of Zendikar or Garruk Relentless who make vanilla 2/2s, or Ajani, Strength of the Pride who makes Ajani's Pridemates as a - ability. This makes much more offensively-minded tokens, as they all have haste and another little bonus to go with it. And it lacks a Planeswalker body which means it can't be killed by Questing Beast in its neverending quest to kill all Teferi.

Sarkhan's +1 is already a better wincon for Jeskai PW decks but this is certainly up there.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

the problem with Robin Hood's Merry Men or whatever is that it's slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow. It's a four mana enchantment that does nothing at all until the upkeep after you play it, and still doesn't really take over a game until both players are in topdeck mode. As a control finisher, I'd much rather just have M20 Mythic Chandra, who can clear a board, remove big threats, and also put an inevitable and unstoppable clock on the opponent that doesn't care if they have blockers.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
it's an enchantment thats bad vs aggro and gets bounced by teferi. Strongly doubt it goes anywhere. but maybe i'm misunderstanding the future meta.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

No Wave posted:

it's an enchantment thats bad vs aggro and gets bounced by teferi. Strongly doubt it goes anywhere. but maybe i'm misunderstanding the future meta.

Teferi is going to be taken out back and shot one of these banlist updates so that’s not a problem for long

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Yeah the part of merriment where it's a four drop that does literally nothing until your next turn is making me pretty leery of it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
it seems nice in boros land destruction i guess?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

TheKingofSprings posted:

Teferi is going to be taken out back and shot one of these banlist updates so that’s not a problem for long

No way. There's plenty of reasonable ways to keep it in check. It'll be a pillar of the format but it's not ban-worthy

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

No Wave posted:

it's an enchantment thats bad vs aggro and gets bounced by teferi.

Its biggest strength and weakness is teferi. He enables the deck type it wants and hates it out.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Boros control is a fun and interesting deck to play, and that enchantment slots right in. None of those things are true, but it's fun to play make believe in the fairy tale set.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

fadam posted:

What’s the best combination of sleeves to disguise Chinese counterfeits from inquisitive opponents??

Kmc premium sleeves by whatever name they are these days. The kind with the textured fronts.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Sickening posted:

Kmc premium sleeves by whatever name they are these days. The kind with the textured fronts.

God bless

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

fadam posted:

God bless

Also just double sleeve everything and nobody will be able to tell unless they really get all up in your cards

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TheKingofSprings posted:

LOL Bigferi made it all the way to the end of its standard and was way more oppressive

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

The real travesty is that Robin Hood isn't legendary.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Hood gang isn't even as good as Assemble the Legion and I think that saw some fringe sideboard play at best

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Holding out for Rogue Tribal subtheme but that's just me.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Lone Goat posted:

Hood gang isn't even as good as Assemble the Legion and I think that saw some fringe sideboard play at best

Assemble saw maindeck play but yeah it certainly wasn't format defining or anything

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

How was big teferi oppressive? 5 Mana to draw a card or tuck a permanent? The only problem was access to good counters and wraths and everything else was super lovely. He was just a good card in an extremely low-power standard.

Though I suspect that the people that complained loudest were the ones playing bo1 in arena and in that case that's just how that works.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

5 mana teferi was 3 mana

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

A Moose posted:

How was big teferi oppressive? 5 Mana to draw a card or tuck a permanent? The only problem was access to good counters and wraths and everything else was super lovely. He was just a good card in an extremely low-power standard.

Though I suspect that the people that complained loudest were the ones playing bo1 in arena and in that case that's just how that works.

He is also played in Modern, though he currently he seems to be giving up a fair number of his slots to SFM.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Voyager I posted:

He is also played in Modern, though he currently he seems to be giving up a fair number of his slots to SFM.

He was already losing them to t3feri and narset

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

All these promo arts are making me a little sad- they're so much neater than the typical art. We could be having sets full of those more crazy styles :qq:.

That said, really really happy they're finally letting folks do art like that.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

The World Inferno posted:

All these promo arts are making me a little sad- they're so much neater than the typical art. We could be having sets full of those more crazy styles :qq:.

That said, really really happy they're finally letting folks do art like that.

yeah they finally realized people also enjoy more stylized art... and promptly put it behind an additional paywall

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

resistentialism posted:

5 mana teferi was 3 mana

Five mana but with a two-mana rebate, and he was a win condition. Time Raveler is good card and a lot of things are worse because of him but he can't actually win a game like Hero of Dominaria can.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Five mana but with a two-mana rebate, and he was a win condition. Time Raveler is good card and a lot of things are worse because of him but he can't actually win a game like Hero of Dominaria can.

It's this. Being able to spend 5+ every turn and then have 2 open for a counter is crazy and builds to a flat win Ultimate

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Yeah, it's hard to overstate how sweet it was to have pseudo-ramp in colors with an insatiable hunger for mana that didn't normally have access to that effect.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Voyager I posted:

Yeah, it's hard to overstate how sweet it was to have pseudo-ramp in colors with an insatiable hunger for mana that didn't normally have access to that effect.
Koth standard best standard.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

sit on my Facebook posted:

No way. There's plenty of reasonable ways to keep it in check. It'll be a pillar of the format but it's not ban-worthy

Agreed. Stuff gets banned when every deck either has to run it or has to run a counter to it. There are plenty of decks that don't even give a poo poo about smolferi. Plus it's relatively easy to handle for everything except decks that run no hard removal.

It's also the hardest counter to simic flash, which is a good thing. I don't play smolferi but I don't think he's ruining standard.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Tubgoat posted:

Koth standard best standard.

Standard valakut was pretty fun to play until caw blade showed up, then nothing was fun to play.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I was wondering why I don't really see MtG fan merch in my local cons when I read up that WotC straight-up disallows it? It's still true, right?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Schneider Heim posted:

I was wondering why I don't really see MtG fan merch in my local cons when I read up that WotC straight-up disallows it? It's still true, right?

They make money from licensing the brand.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Jabor posted:

They make money from licensing the brand.

Well I've seen D&D fan merch being sold, or at the very least memes/phrases associated to it (I wonder if "Roll for initiative" or "Lawful Evil" are trademarked in any way), and that's owned by Wizards too.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Also just double sleeve everything and nobody will be able to tell unless they really get all up in your cards

I would suggest going full Daniel Wong and quad sleeving but apparently you can't get the outermost layer anymore so you can only go up to triple sleeves

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Surely there are people who try to get byes just deck checking anyone who double sleeves like that?

torsoboy
Sep 9, 2001

lesbian armada overlord
I think the counterspell fairy split card could go nicely in a snapcaster + kola-command shell actually.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Schneider Heim posted:

Well I've seen D&D fan merch being sold, or at the very least memes/phrases associated to it (I wonder if "Roll for initiative" or "Lawful Evil" are trademarked in any way), and that's owned by Wizards too.

They don't license that brand very much.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Schneider Heim posted:

I imagine it’s because there’s not much point to mtg fan merch. Custom playmats *are* the fan merch and anybody can just go to inked gaming or another place to get those done. I’ve seen custom deck boxes drawn on the basic white box and 3d card cutouts before but that’s pretty much the extent of it. The game’s not touhou, as much as WOTC wants it to be by pushing all the planes walkers. I’m sure somebody buys those action figures too, but every time I’ve seen them in the clearance bin a few months later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

Based on the facebook ad she's from it looks like she is probably a 3/3. It's hard to tell though cause it's a really shittily made ad. https://www.facebook.com/201120755306/posts/10162121560635307/?sfnsn=mo