Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Randaconda posted:

don't judge how i live, sometimes i feel like Totino's with added shredded cheese and cut up leftover cube steak on it :colbert:

:same:

When I doctor up a Totino's, I'm not buying extra ingredients. I'm buying the $1.36 pizza and tossing what extra poo poo I have to use up in the fridge on top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Randaconda posted:

don't judge how i live, sometimes i feel like Totino's with added shredded cheese and cut up leftover cube steak on it :colbert:

That's a pro move. Had some red baron last night and it made me regret not getting totinos. And while I'm a pizza-a-holic and love real pizza, the last 3 times I've ordered dinner for the family it's cost 40 bucks, and it's just not worth it anymore.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

LifeSunDeath posted:

That's a pro move. Had some red baron last night and it made me regret not getting totinos. And while I'm a pizza-a-holic and love real pizza, the last 3 times I've ordered dinner for the family it's cost 40 bucks, and it's just not worth it anymore.

Real talk here, Aldi has the best take 'n bake pizzas, and I think their thin crust varieties are the best.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

Real talk here, Aldi has the best take 'n bake pizzas, and I think their thin crust varieties are the best.

This is fact

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Not sure where an Aldi's is near me, but I'll give it a go. I had a loving HEB take and bake and it made me swear off store brand take and bake, the cheese was effectively velveta and leaked everywhere...stayed liquidy long after it had cooled to room temp, I'm sure it's why it's so huge yet cheap.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

This. I like Totino's but usually substantially modified. A little minced garlic (powder, if you're out), some Italian seasoning, pepperoni slices, and a ton more cheese, and they're pretty decent.

That's a weird amount of effort when you can make your own pizza dough in five minutes(not counting the time it takes to rise).

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I don't think you get the Totinos lifestyle

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PurpleXVI posted:

That's a weird amount of effort when you can make your own pizza dough in five minutes(not counting the time it takes to rise).

lol

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

So 90 minutes? I can't tell if your post was intentionally supposed to be this oblivious.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

It is hard to gently caress around making dough when you're drunk already.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

*waking up the next day with a sand-hosed mouth and a hangover*

The gently caress is this huge bloated blob of dough?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Croatoan posted:

I don't think you get the Totinos lifestyle

is that just slang for dying of heart disease

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Brawnfire posted:

Better than passing out with a pizza in the oven I suppose.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

Your date has a name, you know.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

The Grinch's fatty liver grew three sizes that night...

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Maybe.
Dumb.
What?
Maybe.
Dumb.
What?
Maybe.
Dumb.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Son of a bitch, what?!? You serve hot DP this holiday, I'm coming at you like john mclain.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

What's this about lamb cakes?

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Facebook Aunt posted:

I'm don't think I've ever seen lamb for sale in the supermarket. Lamb is kinda exotic here (western canada) so it's expensive at the places that have it.

My point, and I do have one, is that the essence of shepherd's pie is a working class meal so it should use working class meat, which in the US and Canada will be ground beef. Presumably our immigrant ancestors switched en masse to ground beef in their Shepherd's Pie because lamb was just too dear for a routine meal.

Shepherd's pie is lamb, because shepherd=sheep meat. Cottage pie is the same dish but with ground beef instead of lamb, because cottage, I dunno, cow-tage?

A hamburger is a working class meal made from ground beef, but you wouldn't call a chicken burger a hamburger just because chicken is more affordable where you live.

Anyway, my Irish mammy makes an awesome spicy cottage pie using chili beef topped with a layer of mashed potato. On top of that is a crunchy layer of crushed tortilla chips mixed with chili cheddar.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

The Bloop posted:

Maybe.
Dumb.
What?
Maybe.
Dumb.
What?
Maybe.
Dumb.

Nice summary of your last 8 posts

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Hirayuki posted:

Hello there nightmare fuel.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Hirayuki posted:

Predatormas is really for the children!

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

PurpleXVI posted:

Nah, when I make proper pizza dough, it's yeast risen, and takes more than five minutes, and it's way better. I work 14 hour days lots, and when I don't get lunch until 5pm, an extra 60 seconds to take stuff out of the fridge that's already in there, off the spice rack that I already have, and to reduce the number of dishes to 1 is a lot faster. I prefer "from the ground up" pizza, but sometimes just don't have the time. I consider Totino's as a starting point for my pizza coding.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

LifeSunDeath posted:

Son of a bitch, what?!? You serve hot DP this holiday, I'm coming at you like john mclain.

Dr Pepper is my drink of choice when booze isn't available, but I may try this when the temperature drops below 50, because what if it's actually good?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
you drive a hard gamble

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Nice summary of your last 8 posts

And my next 8 gods willing

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Iron Crowned posted:

Dr Pepper is my drink of choice when booze isn't available, but I may try this when the temperature drops below 50, because what if it's actually good?

IIRC, Dr Pepper was still sweetened with cane sugar when heating it became a thing, and I've heard that that makes a difference. Still, probably worth a try!

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

hot fresca is the way to go

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

You people make me sick, drinking boiled sodas...you animals, stinking animals.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

snoo posted:

hot fresca is the way to go

I'm just boiling gallons of Tab, it's disruptive but it's what the people want

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq9hNTUbtiE

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Zinger Pie

I think the only other thing I've ever bought from KFC was a Double Down, back when those were a thing, so I don't know what the Zinger chicken is normally like. Also, I thought it wasn't called Kentucky Fried Chicken any more? Did they change back?

Anyway, the Zinger Pie looks like a pretty standard pie from the outside. You can sort of see in this photo that it's in one of those foil tins that pies sometimes come in, but otherwise it's pretty unremarkable.

The interior doesn't photograph well but looks fine in real life. The pastry's a bit thick around the edge and it took me a couple of bites to get to the filing, but the filling itself was pretty nice. The warning on the bag proved hyperbolic though, as the pie was neither spicy hot nor physically hot. It had some chilli, but it was relatively mild and didn't linger, and the pie certainly wasn't cold but there was no danger of burning my mouth. It was not thermonuclear - just a reasonable eating temperature. On a scale of 1-5 where 1 is no chilli at all and 5 is too much, I'd probably rate it a 3, but a mild 3 due to the fact that it didn't build up as I ate.

Coming back to that foil tin, it had the effect they always do of making the bottom a bit soft. I'd prefer if it had been heated without the tin so as to create a slightly crisper shell, but it wasn't bad enough to threaten the structural integrity of the pie. You can easily eat it one-handed.

Over all I'd say it was a decent pie, and at $5 for the pie and some perfectly adequate chips you could certainly do a lot worse.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

This one makes my mouth water, even though I know it's slop.

The only time my mom ever bought those instant pasta side dish things like Lipton alfredo was when we were camping. After hiking for 2 hours, gathering firewood, and playing in a stream all afternoon, that poo poo tasted award-winning.

Hunger truly is the best seasoning.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Hot soda?

lemme get in on that

Doesn't add much.

It was fine, but too hot

that's just ice, so I don't waste it

Polyseme has a new favorite as of 07:21 on Sep 11, 2019

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

My point, and I do have one, is that the essence of shepherd's pie is a working class meal so it should use working class meat, which in the US and Canada will be ground beef. Presumably our immigrant ancestors switched en masse to ground beef in their Shepherd's Pie because lamb was just too dear for a routine meal.
I guess so, but doesn't it also come from a time when "working class" still meant farming as in grow your own food and raise your own sheep, or at the very least buy locally? When I hear "working class meat" in 2019 I think more of cheap factory farmed mass-production Brazilian beef which not only goes against the historical spirit of the dish but will also kill us all.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Iron Crowned posted:

I was in a western-style restaurant in Tibet for shits and giggles, and they'd clearly seen things like pizza but didn't know about pizza dough - so I got what was essentially a huge round toast and... hot coke with fresh ginger. I still drink the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

gschmidl posted:

I was in a western-style restaurant in Tibet for shits and giggles, and they'd clearly seen things like pizza but didn't know about pizza dough - so I got what was essentially a huge round toast and... hot coke with fresh ginger. I still drink the latter.

Coke with ginger is good, you just gotta add some liquor to make it really good.