Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

SMB is perfectly fine. Yes 3 is the best and much better, but 1 is still better than a lot of platformers. The worst Mario is Super Mario Land. And even that one is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

If you charge up with the power bombs and only one beam equipped, you can do special attacks that almost nobody knows about.

https://metroid.fandom.com/wiki/Special_Charge_Beam_Attacks

holy poo poo

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I played through 1 recently and still had a ton of fun but yeah, 3 and World are much better.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I decided to finish the original Metroid before I jump into Super Metroid. I’ve played Zero Mission in the past but never the NES original, and I’ve played SM plenty of times, but looking forward to playing it again.

My take on Metroid is that this would be incredibly tedious without any sort of map. But I think it controls really well and the limited soundtrack and color pallet are evocative enough. The music really is special. I think the Geiger influence is most apparent in this game more than any other in the series, and I enjoy how each area has monsters with similar game functions but are textured differently to reflect their environment but also retains a mysterious alien look (The only Metroids I’ve not played are 2, it’s remake and Other M but we don’t even count that).

The actual metroids haven’t been as intimidating as this game since either.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I usually don't play games in the morning but super mario world at 7 in the morning feels right

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

100YrsofAttitude posted:

SMB is perfectly fine. Yes 3 is the best and much better, but 1 is still better than a lot of platformers. The worst Mario is Super Mario Land. And even that one is fine.

yeah it doesn't feel as good right when you pick it up, but you do get used to the physics and control. its a very good game

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I usually don't play games in the morning but super mario world at 7 in the morning feels right

Feels like Saturday mornings

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I decided to finish the original Metroid before I jump into Super Metroid. I’ve played Zero Mission in the past but never the NES original, and I’ve played SM plenty of times, but looking forward to playing it again.

My take on Metroid is that this would be incredibly tedious without any sort of map. But I think it controls really well and the limited soundtrack and color pallet are evocative enough. The music really is special. I think the Geiger influence is most apparent in this game more than any other in the series, and I enjoy how each area has monsters with similar game functions but are textured differently to reflect their environment but also retains a mysterious alien look (The only Metroids I’ve not played are 2, it’s remake and Other M but we don’t even count that).

The actual metroids haven’t been as intimidating as this game since either.

Metroid 1 was my first Metroid, and yeah, it has a lot of flaws, but it has a special place in my heart. Like you said, a lot would be improved with an in-game map, but as a kid I took the time to draw one out on paper. Another factor that doesn't help: a lot of passageways look really similar. While this is certainly a detriment, it also adds to the feeling that you're lost in this hostile labyrinth of a world. By the time I finally navigated all of the secret passageways and tricky platforming and the near-complete lack of objectives and found my way to the last boss, it was kind of an amazing feeling. It felt like I'd made it somewhere deep and secret, where the enemies really didn't want me to be.

Also, some of the music is downright sinister. In particular, this one always creeped me out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pcLtSle714&t=450s.

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

DorianGravy posted:

Also, some of the music is downright sinister. In particular, this one always creeped me out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pcLtSle714&t=450s.

The way they brought that music back for the Super Metroid item rooms is one of my favorite little video game music bits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q16T1-qcxtw

mekyabetsu fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 11, 2019

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Fired up the Switch for the first time in a while and SNESflix is awesome. I desperately need the wireless SNES controllers as soon as they become available in Canada. Ended up way too late replaying the start of Super Metroid for the first time in a decade.

(Yes I know about the 8bitdo ones, I have a pro controller already. It’s purely a dumb nostalgia purchase)

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I bought Deadly Premonition on Switch and now that they've patched the sound issues out I was like "Great! At least now I have a version of the game that won't crash at random!"

It crashed at random.

loving hell. Save often I guess. We just can't get a good port of this game, can we?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
At least it's an accurate port :v:.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Does it still have that bug where, if you have a key item and go via chapter select to an earlier chapter, the key item disappears, and then doesn't reappear when you return to the main playthrough?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I never, ever feel like going back to SMB 1, but at the same time, in Mario Maker 2, the SMB 1 tile and play set is by far my favourite, despite Mario 3 being my favourite game :shrug:

I think maybe it's having new experiences in SMB 1, plus better physics, and it all being HD (with those neat little shadows on everything that I thought I was going to hate, but very much don't).

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Downloaded Blasphemous yesterday and I like it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DePPiw44is

Basically a Metroidvania with an aesthetic that's a cross between pixelart Dark Souls / Bloodborne, and edgelord teenage sketches. So far it's p cool!

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Cartoon Violence posted:

Playing Mario 3 on NESFlix and.... it's really good? I was just in here saying how much I was struggling with Mario 1, maybe powering through that with the use of rewind helped me practice or maybe the controls of 3 click with me more, but I'm having a blast and have cleared World 1 and half of World 2 with minimal deaths. Liking the more complicated level design too.

Yes, SMB3 is an all-time classic and one of the few NES games that really does still hold up today, incredible for a 31 year old game.

SMB1 is still playable but doesn't quite stand up as well, although I think it holds up remarkably well for what was basically the first ever game of it's type, much better than Zelda 1 which I find incredibly frustrating to play.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mokinokaro posted:

He took a big hiatus from game development due to stress/health issues but it looks like he's fully refreshed and back on board.
He also became a certified buddhist priest during that hiatus.

Really.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Neddy Seagoon posted:

At least it's an accurate port :v:.
It is not. The 360 original did not have any of these issues.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I finally finished the Dragon Quest XI demo :(

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Kingfish posted:

I finally finished the Dragon Quest XI demo :(

Can you load that save after finishing to run around the areas you have access to?

I'm about to finish Fire Emblem and thought I might do some power leveling and see if I can perfectly finish creating some of the gear where I only hit +1 or +2

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1171761570684297217

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I didn't see it posted but Limited Run is finally shipping out Celeste next month.

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/1171450372314939393

Jesus, I ordered this I think back in like January.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Don't you goddamn joke I would kill for a sequel to that game

minya posted:

SAme. It’s hard for me to explain why it left such an impact but I still think about it pretty regularly even still.
:same:

why did that game have such an impact on people

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Your Computer posted:

:same:

why did that game have such an impact on people
There was nothing like it and there still never has been since to my knowledge. I mean grinding on scrub enemies not just to get stronger but to specifically evolve your legs or jaws or whatever til you're a hosed up looking monster fish? And then you become a mammal?? Not to mention the bonkers poo poo at the end. E.V.O. is an experience.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

That is pretty much exactly where I expected it to end up because mech games always review like that.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Famitsu review score for Link's Remakening: 35/40

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

in case you were wondering why your backlog is so huge, Japan is getting a tax hike on Oct 1st and studios are putting out as much as they can before that.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

A lot higher than I would expect tbh.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

100YrsofAttitude posted:

SML however is the best drat Mario-shmup ever!

Because it's the only one :v:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

less laughter posted:

hosed up if true

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

A lot higher than I would expect tbh.

Yeah, I remember armored core games getting absolutely pilloried back in the day.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

less laughter posted:

Must be the worst game in the series.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

less laughter posted:

Is that like an 8.8?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nintendo must not care about Link's Awakening that much or they would have paid famitsu for a better score

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Leal posted:

Is that like an 8.8?

Never would have thought Famitsu was full of white supremacist

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

RE: Hori Split pad: No gyro, no purchase

WTF Hori

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Andrast posted:

Nintendo must not care about Link's Awakening that much or they would have paid famitsu for a better score

Sadly this isn't that far from the truth when it comes to Famitsu.

EDIT: \/ I wasn't sure. There are a lot of game fans who still take them seriously.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 11, 2019

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

Sadly this isn't that far from the truth when it comes to Famitsu.

It wasn't a joke

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Horizontal doesn't have any gyros and they do not know where you can buy them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Never would have thought Famitsu was full of white supremacist

It's also the 14th LoZ game release on a home console!