Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Ok, England isn't all bad, I guess.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

There's a BBC program called Pop goes Northern Ireland, which is just archival footage from a particular year of the troubles, with the pop music hits of that year as background music. It sounds like a bad idea, but it works really really well.

That actually could be pretty interesting to see the juxtapositions!

E: like I was just making a reference to U2, but I learned a thing

foobardog has issued a correction as of 02:33 on Sep 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

It was but it wasn't directly because of him alone. It's not like they terfed all the members of Parliament who backed him, or later tried to make him king first before restoring the old monarchy

It sucked because the English gentry were, like, ludicrously bad at managing any of the large scale concerns of the nation that gave them their station without a clear, god appointed sovereign to keep them aligned on things.

the English gentry considered "servant 5 minutes late with my breakfast" to be a large scale concern

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I like how BBC did a fact check on "would remaining in the EU cost the UK £1 billion a month?" and came to the conslusion that yes, it's true. (it's the gross UK contribution to the EU, after rebate but before the £300m in delegated spending)

I wonder when they'll do a fact check on "would the british state surviving in some form cost the UK ~£40 billion a month?" next.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Private Speech posted:

I like how BBC did a fact check on "would remaining in the EU cost the UK £1 billion a month?" and came to the conslusion that yes, it's true. (it's the gross UK contribution to the EU, after rebate but before the £300m in delegated spending)

I wonder when they'll do a fact check on "would the british state surviving in some form cost the UK ~£40 billion a month?" next.

Head on down to the failing new york times thread in c-spam if you want to see some really bad fact checking.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

ugh, hate it when an arrogant warlock summons a Brexit Elemental that they have no means to banish.

britons forgot the oldest rule: do not call up what you cannot put down

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

rapeface posted:

britons forgot the oldest rule: do not call up what you cannot put down

first capitalism and now this, ugh, they're the *worst* about summoning eldritch horrors that just stick around

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Share the load, Mr. Baggins.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Private Speech posted:

Interesting blog post on the abuse of the term "cost" in media coverage like the above
https://stumblingandmumbling.typepad.com/stumbling_and_mumbling/2015/02/the-cost-bias.html

Essentially by doing that, they're valuing EU membership at zero. A real example of cost would be incompetently causing chaos at all our ports of entry through some stupid policy decision - the losses caused by all the delays are a genuine cost because there's no transfer going on.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Samovar posted:

Share the load, Mr. Baggins.

Correction: Bojo should not, under any circumstances, share his "load" with anyone.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Bernstrike posted:

starting to see what they mean about brexit tbh

jeez. i knew the eu wasn't great, but holy poo poo

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

redleader posted:

jeez. i knew the eu wasn't great, but holy poo poo

Every time you put conservatives in position of power. Every time.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
In side news, supposedly pro-Chagossian MPs are suggesting that, instead of giving the territory back to Mauritius as demanded by the International Court of Justice, if we let the Chagossians back to their homeland at all it should be as servants on the military base that forcibly expelled them in the 70s:

The Grauniad posted:

West, MP for Hornsey and Wood Green, has long campaigned for the Chagossians’ right to return to their homeland. “We went to see how a resettlement programme might be possible and what it might be like to live there,” she explained. “The best solution is for the UK government to resettle the Chagossians.

“We travelled with a Foreign Office official and a member of staff who organises heritage tours [for exiled islanders]. The UK officials are doing a very good job in terms of the environment and looking after wildlife.

She continued: “On the last day we met senior US officials … that would be the [focus] of any resettlement. There’s no reason why the community couldn’t seek work at the base.”

The Empire never ended

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Obliterati posted:

In side news, supposedly pro-Chagossian MPs are suggesting that, instead of giving the territory back to Mauritius as demanded by the International Court of Justice, if we let the Chagossians back to their homeland at all it should be as servants on the military base that forcibly expelled them in the 70s:

The Empire never ended

or rather, it ended but the british government refuses to believe it

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

I. DRINK. YOUR. BREXIT.
I drink it up!

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Obliterati posted:

The Empire never ended

a charitable interpretation of this might be that she's tailoring her message to suit an audience

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

watson is such a loving nerd

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

gschmidl posted:

Every time you put conservatives in position of power. Every time.

Brexiteers are like, can't believe we ditched the party just before somebody brought coke.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

gh0stpinballa posted:

watson is such a loving nerd

Tom Watson? I think he is closer to a lying snake than a nerd, but what has he done now?

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Dravs posted:

Tom Watson? I think he is closer to a lying snake than a nerd, but what has he done now?

When Labour are rising in the polls and we have any kind of unity he chooses that exact moment to drive his useless 'Labour should switch to unequivocal Remain support' attack line. The subtext of this is simply that he wants to oust Corbyn of course.

I honestly don't understand those who think that they could simply revoke Article 50 and get away with it without some kind of credible referendum. The current Labour position is:

1) If Tories stay in, fight for a referendum, campaign for Remain against their bad deal
2) If Labour get in, negotiate a softer Brexit deal involving Customs Union /Single Market to remove the backstop, have a referendum and officially campaign for their deal

This is not contradictory and it is not illogical. It is the fairest approach on a hugely divisive issue with a 48/52 previous result.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
A Scottish appeals court ruled against prorogation, the next hearing is the 17th.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

briefing the press again is old watson, what a moral and physical coward

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Jables88 posted:

2) If Labour get in, negotiate a softer Brexit deal involving Customs Union /Single Market to remove the backstop, have a referendum and officially campaign for their deal

I don't think they would necessarily campaign for their deal. I think they'd give members and MPs free reign to campaign for either side

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

RandomPauI posted:

A Scottish appeals court ruled against prorogation, the next hearing is the 17th.

gently caress now it's up to Wales as the tie-breaker

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol boris

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
you know, the only real place this can go from here is another referendum with another leave victory

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Jables88 posted:

When Labour are rising in the polls and we have any kind of unity he chooses that exact moment to drive his useless 'Labour should switch to unequivocal Remain support' attack line. The subtext of this is simply that he wants to oust Corbyn of course.

I honestly don't understand those who think that they could simply revoke Article 50 and get away with it without some kind of credible referendum. The current Labour position is:

1) If Tories stay in, fight for a referendum, campaign for Remain against their bad deal

This is not contradictory and it is not illogical. It is the fairest approach on a hugely divisive issue with a 48/52 previous result.

So if you want Remain, you should... hope the Tories remain in power?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

RandomPauI posted:

Some legal types are saying that this means MPs can go back to work right away. Just lol if they open parliament again today.

Civilized Fishbot posted:

you know, the only real place this can go from here is another referendum with another leave victory

As dumb as brexit so obviously is and as much as I'm against this whole stupid thing, I would accept a remain loss in a second referendum if leave voters were actually voting for something specific this time.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

So if you want Remain, you should... hope the Tories remain in power?

This suggests that Labour's campaigning one way or the other would be what tips a second referendum over to Remain or Leave.

I think a second referendum is pretty much a lock for Leave, so the only sensible approach is to make sure that Leave isn't a disaster.

EDIT:

quote:

As dumb as brexit so obviously is and as much as I'm against this whole stupid thing, I would accept a remain loss in a second referendum if leave voters were actually voting for something specific this time.

Exactly, it's loving this.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i think remain would beat no deal in a referendum at about 55:45 but i absolutely do not want to find out i'm wrong because it would be a loving stupid idea

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Jose posted:

i think remain would beat no deal in a referendum at about 55:45 but i absolutely do not want to find out i'm wrong because it would be a loving stupid idea

No deal is catastrophically idiotic, but if that's what it would take to settle this then that's what we should do. If people knowingly vote no deal then so be it. (I think labour's plan is best, but if it's a choice between no 2nd ref, and 2nd ref with no deal option, then gently caress it let's try that)

Loser's consent is really, really important and right now they don't have it. We also wouldn't have it if A50 is simply revoked.

it dont matter has issued a correction as of 11:09 on Sep 11, 2019

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Jose posted:

Fairly sure that Labour have said that no deal would not be on the ballot because it is a loving moronic idea and they are not going to allow people to vote for something that is clearly against their own self interest.

As somebody who is not a Labour supporter and actually wants to remain, their plan is clearly the best.

Simply revoking art. 50 is dumb as poo poo and as others have said, now the majority of people understand what a cluster gently caress this all is, if they still wanted to leave with a deal that actually makes sense then I would accept it. I would still fight to rejoin the EU at a later date, however, I wouldn't be able to say that people had no idea what they were voting for anymore in actual honesty.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

https://twitter.com/hmtreasury/status/1171454868277489664

Wait I changed my mind let's no deal right now

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

HM Brexit Government

or maybe 'Government'

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
A brief little Brexit haiku:

https://twitter.com/Adam_SH69/status/1171689413459488768?s=20

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

quote:

- People travelling to the EU will be able to take advantage of duty free shopping meaning they won’t have to pay UK excise duties on cigarettes and alcohol
- People travelling back from the EU will still be able to bring back unlimited amounts for their own use, if they pay duty in Europe
- At the point of leaving the EU, people can continue to purchase and bring home unlimited alcohol and cigarettes in Europe if they pay duty on it there – as is the case currently
- People will now also have the alternative option to buy limited amounts of duty-free alcohol and cigarettesat duty free shops in Europe instead. For example, a holidaymaker could save more than £12 on two crates of beer.

Imagine how much money you can save on two crates of beer, all you need to do is buy a round trip plane ticket (don’t forget the cost of the visa)

https://twitter.com/seankenny/status/1098313467981950977?s=20

twoday has issued a correction as of 11:34 on Sep 11, 2019

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
https://twitter.com/davidallengreen/status/1171721092500791296
https://twitter.com/davidallengreen/status/1171730033750228993

Another record! Good going, Boris!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon