Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Wrestlepig posted:

Downtime would just be Human drama stuff right? Have a clark Kent phase.

That's exactly right. I'm stealing from Spectaculars and trying to make time between the adventures be pursuing your human wants and needs. The stressful thing isn't just defeating the Rhino, it's also finding time for Mary Jane and Aunt May, and the only way to really do that is be late to your responsibilities at the Daily Bugle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

I might have accidentally made the game attractive to a table of 5 players (+ me as GM). It's above the recommended amount of players - so anything I should particularly adjust for that? I can tell it will make the stress economy easier, which means I should strive to (occasionally) split up the party and if that doesn't happen, make consequences more brutal so they burn through resisting them. Have I got it right?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I've run and played 5P. I don't know that it makes the stress economy easier - you just hit them with +N stuff. It allows for more synergy, but that's hard to quantify.

I'd just play it by ear. Blades is a great game for on the fly adjustments. Are they having an easy time? More trouble. Too hard a time? Less trouble.

I'd worry less about mechanical balance and more about just keeping the table focused. The bar as a Blades GM goes up a lot with 4 or 5 players, so you've got to really be on top of it. Never let anybody rest or get on their phone.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Cool, thanks.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Yeah, to echo that, I ran a year long blades game with three "seasons" and five players. My biggest mistake was not kicking the crap out of them with extreme prejudice early. Blades PC's are basically indestructible superheroes to anything below Level 5 harm, so don't pull your punches.

The extra player means that there's more meat to soak up hits / stress, so you need to hit harder to make sure that the healing-downtime stays a common thing and reward the moves / playbooks that use it frequently.

tokenbrownguy fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 12, 2019

Serf
May 5, 2011

tokenbrownguy posted:

Yeah, to echo that, I ran a year long blades game with three "seasons" and five. My biggest mistake was not kicking the crap out of them with extreme prejudice early. Blades PC's are basically indestructible superheroes to anything below Level 5 harm, so don't pull your punches.

The extra player means that there's more meat to soak up hits / stress, so you need to hit harder to make sure that the healing-downtime stays a common thing and reward the moves / playbooks that use it frequently.

this is absolutely the case. the game starts off with the PCs being a little on the fragile side, but once they figure out how the resistance system works they can really cut loose. never pull your punches, always trust the fiction and give things meaningful consequences because the Blades system means the PCs can handle it

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

I'll be sure to do that!

I'm mostly worried about handling the paradigm shift to how conflict resolutions works while also slowly introducing mechanics to my players, to be honest. Funnily enough my style always was towards rewarding daring players and interesting ideas and being light on specific prep but heavy on the world feeling real, so you'd think I would feel right at home, but I'm still nervous!

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 12, 2019

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I've always felt like pbta-based games are really easy to get the challenge right: I just make up more or less bullshit depending on how the encounter is going.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

My copy of Hack the Planet showed up.

Pros
- Real pretty
- Seems a solid remake of Blades
- The Haunt is a rad replacement for the Whisper
- Acts of God are cool as hell and the game has its' personality down pat.

Cons
- Pretty derivative of Blades. Other than the Haunt, pretty much every playbook is the same as its Blade's. Crews are a little better off, but over half are still straight from Blades.

Looking forward to running it! Think I'm going to use HtP as an off-session game when one of my core group can't make it.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

So, I ran my first whole session.

This game is so loving good. I've never seen my table like this. At one point, I got basically shushed as the GM while players were roleplaying between themselves.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

dex_sda posted:

So, I ran my first whole session.

This game is so loving good. I've never seen my table like this. At one point, I got basically shushed as the GM while players were roleplaying between themselves.

That's peak roleplaying right there.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

The latest group I introduced it to are like the total reverse, only one guy actually embraces the Big Crime style and uses flashbacks.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Gorefiend posted:

The latest group I introduced it to are like the total reverse, only one guy actually embraces the Big Crime style and uses flashbacks.

My players instantly decided to flashback to summoning a ghost to gently caress over Bazso and then for the score, they tried to bribe Bluecoats to do something for them and obviously the Bluecoats hosed them over, so they attacked an outpost and killed the Bluecoat that hosed them over.

Now they've got the law coming big time, are at war with Lampblacks and they fiddled with Roric's ghost so The Crows are not gonna be very happy with them to say the least. Session 1.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

dex_sda posted:

My players instantly decided to flashback to summoning a ghost to gently caress over Bazso

Peak blades right there. gently caress Bazso Baz

Dzurlord
Nov 5, 2011
So I'm running a game for the first time. It's going okay so far, and some of my players are really diving into being able to build out portions of the world - there's a thriving Iruvian immigrant community now, and contrasting it with the Red Sashes and the Iruvian Embassy is great. The Whisper from the Dagger Isles is also going nuts with ghost stuff and demon stuff and nautical stuff.

And that's all good. I stress about them having a good time and this game actually being, like, good? But that's normal for me.

BUT LAST GAME HOLY poo poo.

Okay so they were trying to expand out and tick off their first little square of turf. Their Very Good Friend Bazso (who absolutely wasn't doing this for his own reasons, no) suggested that they go after these four Bluecoats who were operating out of a small little night patrol station. They were basically becoming straight-up extortionists hiding behind a badge, and were more or less a crew trying to hold down a couple blocks of ground. The players thought this was a grand idea (gently caress the police!) and were off.

In the middle of the beatdown, our Cutter had busted out Not To Be Trifled With and was wading in with her Fine Heavy Weapon and rolled a success with a consequence. She dropped three of the goons but for a consequence I rolled with that she unintentionally caught one of them in the throat with the wooden haft of her weapon and outright killed him. She declined to resist the consequence.

Some weirdness happened re: ghosts and a lack of death bell, but it basically came down to the six of them standing around in their new little patch of turf looking at a body which was stunningly intact. And that all was okay for me, I'm thinking "okay, this is an alright place to wrap" and then their Slide looks up and says, "We're gonna Burke and Hare this" and their Lurk says "can I have a flashback to have stashed a small handcart in the alley we already established was behind their building" and their Hunter says "I have this physicker as a favored contact, can I say that he's a medical student or something at the University" and they instantly decided that they wanted to roll immediately into a score where they want to sell/trade/something this shiny fresh cadaver to their doctor friend. While the theme to Smokey and the Bandit plays.

...I love this game so much. This is so loving awesome. I have no idea what I'm going to plan for the next session but it needs to be so over the top and this is the best.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
How would you go about explaining the setting to a group?

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Peaky Blinders but there's no sun.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Dunwall, but the whales are demons and instead of the Outsider you just have a bunch of sad gothic ghosts bumming around.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Cool crimes in bad times

Biffmotron
Jan 12, 2007

“Doskvol is an industrial fantasy city haunted by ghosts made of lightning”

Stolen from Blades at the Con

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
An even shittier Victorian London. Oh and there is no sun and death is a bit hosed up.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
From the rulebook:

“You’re in a haunted Victorian-era city trapped inside a wall of lightning powered by demon blood.”

Now go do crime.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Started playing Control. A X-Files / SCP / Control style Blades hack would be pretty good.

QuasarInfinity
Mar 13, 2003

I routinely spend all of my money on Warhammer models.
Fallen Danzig

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

The second session resulted in: my players trying to fix their kill of a cop by... doing nothing except killing a second cop (still no idea what they were attempting); allying with an inspector against the bluecoats and in the resulting flurry completely outmaneuvring the leader of the Sashes... and then killing a child in a sacrifice to a demon after a nasty Devil's Bargain by the team's whisper.

I kinda like this game.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

We're new to BitD and started off with the Copperhead County hack. I think it went quite well but have a few questions.

1. At crew creation you have to chose which faction controls the area where you have set up shop. Can this be any faction or just criminal factions?
2. During payoff, you get negative status with the faction you raided in the score. Is this automatic? What if the heist was quiet and the players got away without being seen? I can always make up an unknown witness or left-behind clue to justify the loss of status, but need to understand if the inevitable status loss is an integral part of balancing mechanics.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Freudian slippers posted:

We're new to BitD and started off with the Copperhead County hack. I think it went quite well but have a few questions.

1. At crew creation you have to chose which faction controls the area where you have set up shop. Can this be any faction or just criminal factions?
2. During payoff, you get negative status with the faction you raided in the score. Is this automatic? What if the heist was quiet and the players got away without being seen? I can always make up an unknown witness or left-behind clue to justify the loss of status, but need to understand if the inevitable status loss is an integral part of balancing mechanics.

I believe any faction you want.

Depends on how strict with the rules you want to be. I think that there is no heat or rep gain for quiet scores, so it would make sense that there would be no status change. I'd say go with whatever the fiction supports. Evidence left behind doesn't need to explictly point to the player crew either. Thats how they get heat even if no one can prove a murdered person was killed by them. The bell tolls and the cops are just on higher alert in general, thus heat goes up. So if there is any evidence left behind of someone, anyone, doing a score against a gang, maybe their relationship with everyone gets worse. Or you just do a fortune roll and see who they blame.

I'd say 'gently caress It, Fiction First'. Also depends on the tone of the game you want to set.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

OK, thanks!

The hack is set in current day Tennessee. The players set up shop in the backyard of the local, evil mining corporation and made a tentative alliance with the miners union. They then robbed a gas station for beer and 250$, before the miners informed them that the mining company planned to bribe an official and would be keeping a nice lump of cash around the office. They made a stealthy approach and knocked out one guard outside. One player then called a flashback and lifted an identity card from a senior company employee at the HQ TGIF drinks and beer bash. Sadly, he had to use his lambada skills (que music) to get close to her and was spotted by his on/off GF. This caused minor headlines in the local paper, as "Lascivious Lambada Leads To Beer Hall Brawl".

Armed with the identity card, the party's smooth talker rounded up the interior guards under the guise of a surprise Health & Safety inspection, while the rest broke into the head office and opened the safe.

No bodies, but not exactly a complete stealth success either. I'm guessing the mining company isn't sure if it was them, but they're certainly on the Ones-to-watch list.

This game is rather fun!

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Ya there is plenty of evidence there to fictionally justify the lose of rep. A senior company employee loses his ID at the same place as a dude starts a giant brawl? There you go.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Has anybody gotten Band of Blades yet and have opinions on it? I love The Black Company but don't have any experience with the Blades in the dark system.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

LongDarkNight posted:

Has anybody gotten Band of Blades yet and have opinions on it? I love The Black Company but don't have any experience with the Blades in the dark system.

I think band of blades is a triumph. I had the pleasure of playing it with one of the writers at Gencon two years ago and got myself a copy as soon as I could.

I also love BitD, so I'm not sure how you would fare just jumping in to BoB without knowledge of the system, but the book is totally self contained with regards to rules.

The world building is top notch, and if I never get to play it again, it was worth it just for the read. In typical evil hat fashion, the physical book is of much higher quality then the typical print on demand hardcovers most new releases use.

If you like black company and have even a passing interest in more narrative driven roleplaying then you should check it out.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Wrr posted:

Ya there is plenty of evidence there to fictionally justify the lose of rep. A senior company employee loses his ID at the same place as a dude starts a giant brawl? There you go.

Well to be fair, he didn't start the fight. His on/off GF did, when she found him trying to relieve Karen from HQ of her card through dirty dancing. A natural complication is of course that Karen now has fallen head over heels with this mysterious Lothario of the lambada and will stalk him relentlessly. Such is life.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

ZachAttack posted:

I think band of blades is a triumph. I had the pleasure of playing it with one of the writers at Gencon two years ago and got myself a copy as soon as I could.

I also love BitD, so I'm not sure how you would fare just jumping in to BoB without knowledge of the system, but the book is totally self contained with regards to rules.

The world building is top notch, and if I never get to play it again, it was worth it just for the read. In typical evil hat fashion, the physical book is of much higher quality then the typical print on demand hardcovers most new releases use.

If you like black company and have even a passing interest in more narrative driven roleplaying then you should check it out.

It's also, from what I have seen, absolutely hard as balls to win with. Like seriously, holy gently caress.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

ZachAttack posted:

I skimmed thru the beta rules a while back. Is the entire book the campaign to Skydagger Keep or is there more after that?

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

LongDarkNight posted:

I skimmed thru the beta rules a while back. Is the entire book the campaign to Skydagger Keep or is there more after that?

That's the whole game, I believe the plan is to release at least 3 total campaigns that lead up to the final confrontation with the cinder King.

There is a pretty great FAQ thread in the forged in the dark forums with Stras discussing more of the backstory and the sequel plans.

Josef bugman posted:

It's also, from what I have seen, absolutely hard as balls to win with. Like seriously, holy gently caress.

Yeah, this is a game that the players can absolutely lose. But as the GM I am absolutely going to put my finger on the scale of it's clear that group wants the victory, if that's the story they want to be a part of. I'll just make it cost a lot.

ZachAttack fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 11, 2019

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

ZachAttack posted:

There is a pretty great FAQ thread in the forged in the dark forums with Stras discussing more of the backstory and the sequel plans.

Got a link?

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

I think it was this one:
https://community.bladesinthedark.com/t/band-of-blades-ama/60

The whole BoB sub-forum there has great info. Stras is in it all the time answering questions and talking about the game.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Third session, getting into the swing of things. My players staged two operations to murder Bazso and pin the blame on one of their rivals. This game is so motherfucking good.

I played Bazso a bit like Rawls from the Wire, which made it very easy to enjoy the murder. :)

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Question: How do you guys handle a limited success on a yes/no roll?

Example. A crew member is picking a lock. Let's assume the roll is risky/limited due to the lock's quality. The player does nothing to improve the effect and rolls 4/5. Obviously, there will be some consequences ( a guard walks in, equipment breaks), but what about the lock? Is a limited effect enough to open it or not?

I tried to solve this with an "open the safe" clock, which kind of worked, but it meant the player had to roll several times to complete one action, which seems against the spirit of the rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Freudian slippers posted:

Question: How do you guys handle a limited success on a yes/no roll?

Example. A crew member is picking a lock. Let's assume the roll is risky/limited due to the lock's quality. The player does nothing to improve the effect and rolls 4/5. Obviously, there will be some consequences ( a guard walks in, equipment breaks), but what about the lock? Is a limited effect enough to open it or not?

I tried to solve this with an "open the safe" clock, which kind of worked, but it meant the player had to roll several times to complete one action, which seems against the spirit of the rules.

I think a clock can work just fine in that situation. A very complicated lock might require an extremely fine amount of precision or it could be a multi-stage affair with getting through multiple sections of one lock. Or if you don't want to use a clock for the lock, you could throw in 3 ticks in the general alert/danger clock in lieu of having an immediate consequence. This could represent the lockpicking process taking a lot of time, or being noisy, or even tripping some sort of warning system somewhere else. The lock opens, but the general tension of the heist escalates.