Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackTie
Oct 23, 2008

haveblue posted:

Question- how did they decide that specific imperfection was a major issue needing correction and not the 500 other gouges and dents all over the tire?

If the damage went all the way and the tyre was losing pressure, they might have gone with water and soap. At least the repair covers quite a large area, so there's your repair for a bunch other damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Woo, there's video! It happens around 0:05. Looks pretty tame considering. Dude hops out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc88JoHx-kY

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Oh jesus, just so dumb I can't even think of the thought process to get into that predicament

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Icon Of Sin posted:

At least the output of the place has improved :unsmith:

GiP has a new military idiots thread, by the way.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3894960&perpage=40&pagenumber=16

Current topic of discussion: someone who tried to kiss the breach of an artillery piece as it was firing :psyduck:

calling his face hamburger sounds like it’s too generous, given the description :stonklol:

We got the rest of the story and it turns out it’s more of an OSHA situation than a hazing situation (not that the USMC is beholden to OSHA).

quote:

Used to work at a naval hospital. Apparently artillery marines used to have this hazing tradition called “kissing the breach”. Essentially, the M777 (155) howitzer artillery guns (like any gun) have a massive recoil and the new marines would put their face as close to the recoil as possible. Apparently, this was fairly common but honestly I never heard of it again after this. So this good looking, 19 year old boot actually “kissed the breach”. The gun recoiled and smacked him in the face. He transferred to our hospital one day after the incident and it was the worst injury I have ever seen to this day. He somehow survived being hit in the face by the recoil of a round capable of traveling 25 miles. This thing weighs like 9000 pounds and hit him in the face with literal cannon force. He makes it to hospital and I couldn’t believe my eyes. He essentially had lost his entire face. No eyes, mouth, nose, chin. Nothing. A gaping hole with tubes and surgical dressings. I was part of a team responsible for stabilizing him and never heard the outcome, but I know he survived for quite some time. He may have made it back home. I hope he is still around. He had a great family around him and the hardest part was seeing his mother holding pictures of her son before the incident happened. Heartbreaking.

quote:

Doc, I was in 11th Marines when this happened. This was a Marine up in 29 Palms, and it actually was not a a hazing incident. This was actually a procedure and supervision mishap. The 19 year old was the breach operator and was pretty inexperienced at the position. When you move a howitzer, procedure dictates removing the firing mechanism and storing it in the #2 bag until emplacement. During emplacement the Marine accidentally installed the firing mechanism UPSIDE-DOWN in what many of us artillery Marines were aware was a flaw that could happen in the design. Unfortunately, he did not notice this happened during emplacement. They received a fire mission, and when they went to fire it, there was the misfire. The section chief immediately noticed that the firing mech was installed incorrectly, and he shouted at his Marine to fix it. This is where leadership was in the wrong. He removed the mech, with his body bent over near the breech with both a round in the tube, prop behind it, and the initating magazine still in the breech. In order to actually successfully install the firing mech, you need to turn it in place until it clicks and locks. That click and lock is also the firing mech OPERATING. He locked it in, half bent into the breech, and BANG. Bounced his face off the breech, he ricocheted off the Gunner's sight, and landed at the section chief's feet. The chief ended up doing time in the brig for gross negligence.

quote:

Navy med did a good job, but he lost an eye. Full disability, probably.

quote:

That's awful. I hope that all military howitzers were taken offline until the firing mechanism was fixed so it could no longer be put in upside-down

quote:

We had a Corps wide artillery stand down, each unit's Field Artillery Chief had to personally supervise the implementation of white paint "witness marks" on the breech face and firing mech so that you could now verify that the mech was installed correctly.

Lessons Learned: Consequences from Artillery Mishandling

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

LifeSunDeath posted:

There was some documentary (maybe just an article) about this, they would burn/bury tons of equipment because the government wallet was wide open. Computers, vehicles, just anything you can destroy and loosely hide. But it got to the point where people were getting very ill from the fumes off burning equipment piles, and people started to notice.

e:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/burn-pit-military-lung-disease-thousands-of-veterans-fear-burn-pits-exposed-them-to-lethal-disease-2019-08-17/

They were burning a ton of poo poo in Afghanistan, and a bunch of friends and me now all have lung issues.

haveblue posted:

Question- how did they decide that specific imperfection was a major issue needing correction and not the 500 other gouges and dents all over the tire?

Probably did a leak check and found it.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 11, 2019

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

CommieGIR posted:

They were burning a ton of poo poo in Afghanistan, and a bunch of friends and me now all have lung issues.

In Bagram, the burn pit was about 3/4 of a mile away, they were burning all sorts of poo poo in 2008, and where I was working was in one of the 3 paths downwind from it. In Bastion, they had started restricting what could and couldn't be burned by 2012, but the 2 pits were: 800' from where we slept, and comically, 100' from the compound we worked out of.

So yeah, I got the lung funk too, and 11-12 separate anthrax shots can't have helped my heart/cardiovascular system.

E: the burn pits are gonna be the agent orange/GWS of the Forever-War.

spookykid fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 11, 2019

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Dannywilson posted:

In Bagram, the burn pit was about 3/4 of a mile away, they were burning all sorts of poo poo in 2008, and where I was working was in one of the 3 paths downwind from it. In Bastion, they had started restricting what could and couldn't be burned by 2012, but the 2 pits were: 800' from where we slept, and comically, 100' from the compound we worked out of.

So yeah, I got the lung funk too, and 11-12 separate anthrax shots can't have helped my heart/cardiovascular system.

E: the burn pits are gonna be the agent orange/GWS of the Forever-War.

Most of us almost instantly on getting back had worsened PT scores, difficulties catching our breath, etc.

Its gotten steadily worse for me, I have a recurring cough now

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

deong posted:

Woo, there's video! It happens around 0:05. Looks pretty tame considering. Dude hops out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc88JoHx-kY

Thanks, it was driving me mad thinking how the truck ended up like that.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

The house was traveling over the posted limit and the truck jumped right out in front of it.

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008

fisting by many posted:

Thanks, it was driving me mad thinking how the truck ended up like that.

The boys were just getting stinko.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl751CDdRZI

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

I can only hope he caught that on his ankles (looks like it) instead of the alternative.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Literally the whole reason they made that video is as an ow-my-balls style skit, there was never any other purpose.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Pretty sure that is a dude who was making his living for a few years making videos just like that. Went by Horse or something?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

No, those are clearly cars

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

toplitzin posted:

Here's some full footage of the F3 event:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuvHv_VRUM8

Ted in the paddock posted:

Yep, the paddock here at Monza, the best of the season it has to be said...the beautiful people here passing around, all air kisses and...

quote:

'scuse me while I kiss the sky...

RandomFerret posted:

No, those are clearly cars
:golfclap:

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Platystemon posted:

(not that the USMC is beholden to OSHA).

Some parts are! Had one at one of my stations, not that it makes a huge difference overall but it's more than 0.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

CommieGIR posted:

Neuro issues have been linked to them as well, more poo poo just keeps popping up!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It doesn’t take a loving rocket scientist to know that breathing smoke is bad and that some of the stuff they were burning was extra toxic.

It’s such a disgrace.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Platystemon posted:

It doesn’t take a loving rocket scientist to know that breathing smoke is bad and that some of the stuff they were burning was extra toxic.

It’s such a disgrace.

Well no, obviously. My surprise stems from it being acknowledged this "soon".

KBR was caught burning UXO, bio waste, and a host of other poo poo I don't even remember at this point in the open burn pits. Not a drat thing happened to them, truly, but that's not a surprise at all. Then you've got the part where the drinking water was shipped over with all kinds of stuff that leeched into it as well.

What I'm getting at is the OSHA is inside us now.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://i.imgur.com/ADr3THj.mp4

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gonna need to get the NHTSA on this one

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Every time I see a jackass stunt involving a nutshot I keep thinking of the video of the idiot teenager who tied a string around his balls, took a running leap off some bleachers. He gets up, leans forward and a jet of blood shoots out from his freshly castrated groin

Ugh...

ickna
May 19, 2004

Alabama tag on the truck. checks out

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Willfrey posted:

Every time I see a jackass stunt involving a nutshot I keep thinking of the video of the idiot teenager who tied a string around his balls, took a running leap off some bleachers. He gets up, leans forward and a jet of blood shoots out from his freshly castrated groin

Ugh...

The gently caress?

No.

Why would you even

Just no.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Willfrey posted:

Ugh...

His friends kept shouting "DO IT, NO BALLS" but alas, he misunderstood.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Willfrey posted:

Ugh...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SywExJR4lrI

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

goddamn, imagine having to explain that to every one you date for the rest of your life

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Ghostnuke posted:

goddamn, imagine having to explain that to every one you date for the rest of your life

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Ghostnuke posted:

Just get some fake nuts and you're golden. No babies!

Or whatever, just leave it off. Nobody really likes that part anyway.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Rent-A-Cop posted:

No erection either, if I'm not mistaken.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Rad-daddio posted:

Just take some testosterone and such, should be fine.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Rad-daddio posted:

i've got like no testosterone and the erection part still functions, roughly.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Rent-A-Cop posted:

https://www.neuticles.com/

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Saw a couple of studies when I was younger that said ladies eyeing up dudes in pants fairly consistently rated big balls > big dicks

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
well yeah ladies love huge scrotes, you can play with em, do silly putty tricks, all kinds of stuff. what can you even use a big dick for, pissing a lot? pissing on the pisspig grandad? gross.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Splicer posted:

Saw a couple of studies when I was younger that said ladies eyeing up dudes in pants fairly consistently rated big balls > big dicks
That's insane and I hate it.

I'm gay now. I hope you're happy women.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
cumshitter sound off please, if u had to choose between a lenny kravitz penis or a big rolly polly pair of sackjewels which would u choose.

remember one of the genital can only speak in lies , so. choose well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
WHat a dumb derail.