Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

raminasi posted:

they demanded i come in and talk to them in person to get a sense of what i was looking for. i've had good experiences doing this, but their little interview was formulaic and weird. (like, for each thing on my resume they made me tell them what % of it was "development" and what % was "architecture.") they then submitted me for a role i was unqualified for and had no interest in. me and the company screener had a lol about it but then workbridge got mad and ghosted me. my time would have been better spent playing video games in my underwear.

e: oh and i forgot how i said was interested in a particular company and the guy said he submitted me for it but then i never heard anything back, so i didn't feel i could apply on my own because i had no idea what my status was. (i now know that in such a situation you can just go straight to the company and ask them wtf, but i was younger and more naive then and it was still lovely of him. also it turns out that company is apparently a trash fire.)

interesting. i just bailed on working with them again (didn't want to do that first time get to know ya chat when i was winding down my search) but i worked with em in the past and i got that ghosting you mentioned about 4 years ago when i whiffed on a few interviews

i always thought it was cause i kinda bitched at their rep after i did an interview where they never even received or asked about a ~4 hour code exercise i did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
yeah recruiters who do nothing but fill out a few applications for you and ghost you when you blow them aren’t a problem if all they ask in return is one 15-minute phone call, but workbridge demands a bunch of your time and effort in exchange for their uselessness

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
recruiters Lmao

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

stuffed crust punk posted:

I think someone in here mentioned not working with Workbridge - any reason why?

they wasted unusual amounts of my time even by the standards of recruiters

many years ago got one lead out of them and they cost me like four hours of my time. not a great ratio

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i’m working with them right now. did the meet in person thing, wasn’t a huge deal and took like 45 mins. got two upcoming interviews from them so far. i haven’t interviewed since 2014 so we will see what happens if i whiff lol.

my last boss really hated one of their recruiters though. my boss thought he was too pushy. it was pretty funny because when I met them in person said recruiter was like “yeah your last boss told me to gently caress off but no hard feelings, it’s a pretty competitive market. maybe you can put in a good word for me” and honestly i kinda liked the no-bs way they presented themselves to me

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

https://www.spellingmistakescostlives.com/product-page/never-work-1-risograph-print

e: to be clear I'm not trying to sell this, I just have this above my desk and look at it every time I start to get stressed about ~*my career*~

Not a Children fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Sep 10, 2019

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Whats everyones thoughts on cover letters? Especially for applications that dont require it but give an opportunity to upload one.

Personally, every hiring situation I've been in at multiple companies, the cover letter has been stripped away by HR and never even makes it to me as the hiring manager. Does it count on the HR side though?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i haven't used a cover letter or read a cover letter in like a decade

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the modern cover letter is:
"Hi <recruiter name>,
See my attached resume as pdf. Looking forward to working with you!

Best regards,
<your name>"

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
My thoughts on a cover letter is that it takes only a few minutes to edit my previous cover letter to update the date and put the new company's name in, so why not? It'd be different if I were ever shotgunning applications all over the place, of course, but I've only ever applied for three or four jobs at once (and that peak was when I was unemployed, too).

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

my only anecdote re: cover letters is that i asked my boss after I was hired and working a while. she never saw the cover letter at all, and it goes submission->HR->hiring team lead, so I imagine HR didn't keep or possibly even read it

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
for the most part cover letters are a waste of time and nobody cares about them. there are some exceptions. a cover letter is your chance to do the recruiter’s job for them and get noticed where you otherwise wouldn’t be.

if you’re applying for a job where the skills they’re asking for aren’t reflected in your resume, the cover letter is where you explain to the recruiter why you’re actually what they’re looking for. like if the job calls for c# skills and you have java skills, you can tell the recruiter, who may not otherwise be aware, that you’re a closer candidate than it looks like on paper.

another case is that it gives you a chance to tell a story. you can say that you see this company is working in trying to make xyz work, and the years you spent at a previous role were spent on a similar product and you have a lot of relevant experience in this field.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

for the most part cover letters are a waste of time and nobody cares about them. there are some exceptions. a cover letter is your chance to do the recruiter’s job for them and get noticed where you otherwise wouldn’t be.

if you’re applying for a job where the skills they’re asking for aren’t reflected in your resume, the cover letter is where you explain to the recruiter why you’re actually what they’re looking for. like if the job calls for c# skills and you have java skills, you can tell the recruiter, who may not otherwise be aware, that you’re a closer candidate than it looks like on paper.

another case is that it gives you a chance to tell a story. you can say that you see this company is working in trying to make xyz work, and the years you spent at a previous role were spent on a similar product and you have a lot of relevant experience in this field.

and even given all that odds are they will not be read and will not be able to be read

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

The Management posted:

yeah, I did one cover letter when I was switching from it to development and basically said "hey I know my titles don't line up but you should at least talk to me cause I promise I've got the skills you want"

I was also applying directly to the team doing the hiring, not a recruiter or hr (not that I knew this at the time)

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
The best cover letter is knowing the person who will be making the hiring decision socially.

Which would be why I'm an failed, under-employed PoS.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Whats everyones thoughts on cover letters? Especially for applications that dont require it but give an opportunity to upload one.

Personally, every hiring situation I've been in at multiple companies, the cover letter has been stripped away by HR and never even makes it to me as the hiring manager. Does it count on the HR side though?
i think you can have a job and say CL's are useless, or take the 5 minutes to dovetail a template per application, but you don't get to whine about not having a job AND say CL's are useless

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
yeah I wrote one for a job last night that would be a transition from service provider land to customer land explaining the skills match. may not get read but it took me maybe 20 minutes? honestly it helped me in framing what I’m looking for too.

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

quite frankly I don't believe this talk about the market
Over the years I've experimented with various cover letter variations, but no matter what I do, it doesn't seem to matter much in terms of response rate. These days I just include a 2 sentence generic cover letter, or leave it blank.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Just introduce yourself and literally copy paste the relevant job requirements into the cover letter and call it a day.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Applied for another job I won't ever hear back from!

:woop:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Schadenboner posted:

same, buddy, same. also lmao if we’re unknowingly competing for jobs in MKE

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

same, buddy, same. also lmao if we’re unknowingly competing for jobs in MKE

Are you a lovely developer or a lovely ops guy?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m a lovely it and operations manager

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m a lovely it and operations manager

Nah, you're probably applying to be my lovely boss then?

:shrug:

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Schadenboner posted:

:yossame:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Schadenboner posted:

hell yeah same

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Schadenboner posted:

When I first moved to Canada I was applying for basically every job that came up in indeed. The job I actually got I forgot I even applied to it in the first place lol.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

qhat posted:

The job I actually got I forgot I even applied to it in the first place lol.

:yossame:

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
i got contacted for a "lead dev" position, which on paper sounds like a step-up
I'm assuming it means anything from "you'll join the existing team of lead devs" to "you're the one dev on that project so you're lead" with a low probability for "you'll have some responsabilities"
What kind of mindset should I exhibit to look like a competent match ? I'm used to interviews but I'm not sure what they could expect except stuff like people and organization skills on top of the rest, maybe ?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
I was supposed to interview a guy yesterday but his wife called about 2 hours beforehand and told us that he was in a car accident.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ThePeavstenator posted:

I was supposed to interview a guy yesterday but his wife called about 2 hours beforehand and told us that he was in a car accident.

Was the car ok? You could offer to interview the widow?

:shrug:

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

gf got to last round of interviews with a cool woke non profit but the hiring lead there is going to chat to a previous employer who had to pay out an employment rights claim to her so isn't looking good

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I got a call last week "Hi this is <CEO> from <company>, I came across your resume and I think you'd be a good fit for our Director of Operations position". We talked for about a half hour, the company sounds good, the position is something I'm looking to pivot into, the guy seems cool.

"OK, I'll email you the job description so you can look it over, call or email me and let me know if you'd like to come in for interviews"

I get the email, the JD looks good, shoot him an email saying "I like what your company does and I'm confident I can add value, I'd like to schedule a time to interview with you and your team"

Radio silence.

Leave him a voicemail this week.

Radio silence.

I loving LOVE JOB SEARCHING :woop:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Guess they're on vacation!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

silvergoose posted:

Guess they're on vacation!

The CEO got fired

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I've been ghosted by at least 3 recuiters so far, on the first reply
as if these jobs got filled seconds after the linkedin messages is sent

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
company I interviewed at is asking for references, but I haven’t seen a job offer or even if their comp is something I’d consider. should I push back?

also who asks for references in this day and age?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i always get asked but it's only at the offer stage that i will provide them

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

freeasinbeer posted:

company I interviewed at is asking for references, but I haven’t seen a job offer or even if their comp is something I’d consider. should I push back?

also who asks for references in this day and age?

References are provided after comp has been agreed on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
well, time to do a code exercise on the last interview process i have in flight after stopping my search

i was told i would get 3 hours for it, i'm giving it 90 tops