Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I'm very glad that you asked him about the 4-person vs. 6-person party thing, but I'm disappointed in the reply. I played Exile I not that long ago and having six people was so much more fun. I know that that game is rather easy, especially for the era, but I don't think that the party size is the reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Wanderer posted:

At the risk of seeming like a shill, I sat down with Jeff Vogel and his wife Mariann Kriszan right before PAX this year to talk about Queen's Wish, and I pulled a couple of questions for the interview from this thread.

https://www.gameskinny.com/hr5qq/yo...h-the-conqueror

Great interview, thanks for posting.

It's cute that he named one of the cities in Exile III after his wife.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Bold Robot posted:

Great interview, thanks for posting.

It's cute that he named one of the cities in Exile III after his wife.

He named an entire province after his wife. But if you pay attention, he names people and places after basically whatever he can get his hands on, like a somewhat more subtle version of Toriyama. There's an entire town in Exile 3 named after the Babylon 5 cast, and IIRC another town in Exile 1 or 2 named after the cast of a sitcom.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Wanderer posted:

Yeah, there's a thing in one of the blog posts from earlier this summer about how Vogel views himself as being in the business of making Jeff Vogel games.

Technologically, we're at the point where people are getting comparable amounts of mechanical complexity out of RPG Maker, but you sure aren't getting something Jeff Vogel would write.

Time for an anime remake of avernum I guess.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Oh yeah, I think there was a town where everyone was named after the cast of Friends.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Wanderer posted:

At the risk of seeming like a shill, I sat down with Jeff Vogel and his wife Mariann Kriszan right before PAX this year to talk about Queen's Wish, and I pulled a couple of questions for the interview from this thread.

https://www.gameskinny.com/hr5qq/yo...h-the-conqueror
Really cool interview.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

He named an entire province after his wife. But if you pay attention, he names people and places after basically whatever he can get his hands on, like a somewhat more subtle version of Toriyama. There's an entire town in Exile 3 named after the Babylon 5 cast, and IIRC another town in Exile 1 or 2 named after the cast of a sitcom.
I seem to remember reading that every province in Exile 3 was named after someone he knew in real life.

My personal favorite reference is the characters in Geneforge 6 named Savage and Hyneman.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

But if you pay attention, he names people and places after basically whatever he can get his hands on, like a somewhat more subtle version of Toriyama. There's an entire town in Exile 3 named after the Babylon 5 cast, and IIRC another town in Exile 1 or 2 named after the cast of a sitcom.

Yeah, I did another interview with him early last year, around the time he was getting ready to release the Avernum III remake.

quote:

Another reason I like to remaster the older games is because, you know, when I was a neophyte game designer, I’d just do stuff that was goofy and I don’t feel free to do that anymore. So the old games have this kind of looseness and weirdness and stuff about them that I just can’t get away with anymore. I don’t feel I can get away with it, but I can channel — I can bring back the stuff my young self made.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Honestly that's something I kinda miss about older RPGs in general. Like they were all way goofier than most stuff is now.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

There were towns named for memory management functions in C as well.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

And Tyler Too! posted:

Time for an anime remake of avernum I guess.

I would watch/read the poo poo out of an Anime/Manga Avernum adaptation. That would own bones.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

idhrendur posted:

There were towns named for memory management functions in C as well.

Armok from Dwarf Fortress is named after a variable in one of their earlier games, "arm_ok", indicating whether or not your character's arm is okay

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Something I've thought would do well but is completely not a game that Vogel would make would be a game about the foundation of Avernum. It'd be set after the First Expedition, right around when the Empire decided to start using the caves as a penal colony, so you have a bunch of misfits getting teleported down there and they have to figure out how to survive despite the demons, sliths, and the hostile nephils and actual criminals that are also getting teleported down. I picture it as being a cross between a 4X and a tower defense game, where you start out with Fort Exile and your crappy starter units, and you have to fortify, establish farms, train up your units, secure the teleporter, found new towns, beat back the sliths, and ultimately seal away Grah-Hoth.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Something I've thought would do well but is completely not a game that Vogel would make would be a game about the foundation of Avernum. It'd be set after the First Expedition, right around when the Empire decided to start using the caves as a penal colony, so you have a bunch of misfits getting teleported down there and they have to figure out how to survive despite the demons, sliths, and the hostile nephils and actual criminals that are also getting teleported down. I picture it as being a cross between a 4X and a tower defense game, where you start out with Fort Exile and your crappy starter units, and you have to fortify, establish farms, train up your units, secure the teleporter, found new towns, beat back the sliths, and ultimately seal away Grah-Hoth.

I don't know if he'd fancy that kind of shift, but I personally would be down for a prequel~ish game that told the story of Exile/Avernum before the events of the original game (all three trilogies). Call it Avernum 0 or some such.

That said, even though I'm not as fond of Geneforge as many here, I hope that he starts remaking those soon. Geneforge 1, 2 and perhaps 3 are really showing their age and I've heard reports of problems running them on modern OSs.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

JustJeff88 posted:

That said, even though I'm not as fond of Geneforge as many here, I hope that he starts remaking those soon. Geneforge 1, 2 and perhaps 3 are really showing their age and I've heard reports of problems running them on modern OSs.

It may have been preempted by the Queen's Wish Kickstarter taking off, but Vogel told me last year that he's working on a remaster of the first Geneforge, with a tentative release date sometime in 2020.

https://www.geekwire.com/2018/im-still-humble-toymaker-chat-indie-rpg-developer-jeff-vogel-seattles-spiderweb-software/

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I seem to remember the plan to be Queen's Wish 1, Geneforge 1 Remake, Queen's Wish 2, Geneforge 2 Remake, etc

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Wanderer posted:

It may have been preempted by the Queen's Wish Kickstarter taking off, but Vogel told me last year that he's working on a remaster of the first Geneforge, with a tentative release date sometime in 2020.

https://www.geekwire.com/2018/im-still-humble-toymaker-chat-indie-rpg-developer-jeff-vogel-seattles-spiderweb-software/
He's also said before that he likes to alternate between a brand new game and a remaster, since the latter takes much less creative energy, he uses it as a way to recharge the batteries.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Alright Vogel, where's my key.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

happy 9/11 everyone

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I scheduled all my meetings for not today. WHERE MY KEY

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Kickstarter backers remain the worst. People complaining about the launch discount, describing a $2 difference as "a slap in the face".

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

gently caress them. I hope Jeff doesn't take the whiners to heart.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

atholbrose posted:

Kickstarter backers remain the worst. People complaining about the launch discount, describing a $2 difference as "a slap in the face".

Yea it's lovely. Same with the complaints about not getting a key yet. It's like 6 AM over there, sure I wish I could have gotten my key this morning to try it out before work but it's not the end of the world and it's way too early in the day to fret about it just yet.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Srice posted:

Yea it's lovely. Same with the complaints about not getting a key yet. It's like 6 AM over there, sure I wish I could have gotten my key this morning to try it out before work but it's not the end of the world and it's way too early in the day to fret about it just yet.

HEY I'm just complaining in here and not sending Jeff nasty emails. I'm sure he's swamped, it's launch day.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

GreenNight posted:

HEY I'm just complaining in here and not sending Jeff nasty emails. I'm sure he's swamped, it's launch day.

Your post didn't even come off as a complaint to me since you were just wondering when it'll come and not moaning about how much better you'd have it if you didn't kickstart, so it's all cool :cheerdoge:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Woot! Got my key :D

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Me too! And just in time for my lunch break.

[edit] ...except that I forgot I have an errand I have to do at lunch. Well, at least I saw that there's enough character customization to play this as my FFXIV character, heh!

atholbrose fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 11, 2019

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
are there talking spiders in this one?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Nice to see Nethergate Resurrection on GOG now; it was the only game of his that was on Steam but not on GOG. Every game is on GOG now apart from the ones that he just gives away (the Exile quartet) or the black sheep that he refuses to acknowledge (original Nethergate)

Edit: Question... is there any way to get "sale alerts" directly from Spiderweb's site? I'm not going to buy TQW right away due to my back log, but Jeff is basically the only publisher from whom I buy directly. I would like to keep an eye on Ruined World and TQW and perhaps pick them up around the holidays.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 11, 2019

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Helianthus Annuus posted:

are there talking spiders in this one?

Seconding that. I'm interested in the game but if the GIFTS are there I won't think twice about buying it.

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

I was gonna buy this game anyway but I got given a 20% off coupon to use as well, which is nice

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I've played for a couple of hours and can confirm that this is definitely a Spiderweb game.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Glare Seethe posted:

I've played for a couple of hours and can confirm that this is definitely a Spiderweb game.

Yep, in all the best ways. I had to force myself to stop playing so I could dial into this meeting I'm now stuck in.

(I can only hope that the combat system in the game I'm putting together is half as fun. Playing this has solidified my ideas about changes I wanted to implement, so that's good.)

atholbrose fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 11, 2019

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

(Wow. Quote is not edit.)

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I think character development seems to be a little more open-ended and relaxed compared to the Avadon and the Avernum remakes. I'm still too early on to really judge but the skill trees are gone and with them the limitation on raising a skill without raising its prerequisite, which I kinda disliked. So it looks like you don't need to invest much in skills you don't want (just two points per tier).

But I'm also only playing on Normal so I expect my game to be super easy anyway.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Mr Snips posted:

I was gonna buy this game anyway but I got given a 20% off coupon to use as well, which is nice
Same. It combos with the 10% discount as well.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
If I had any problem with Avadon and the remakes, it's that they felt generally... smaller? They oriented themselves in scale on the Geneforge games, which is to say something originally designed to be on a networked overworld where each map is only a small little outtake of the whole.

Exile and Avernum were designed around being big, and that is something I miss.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
It's got that weird zen playing state a lot of the Spiderweb games put me in, where I'm just looking in this clump of trees, and poking my head in this cave before I stoppp... 7 hours later.

Trying to decide Normal or Veteran difficulty. I usually just normal and like late Exile 3 still became somewhere between and block and a chore for me. (And Avernum3:RW, didn't get that far in Avernum3 ver1).

Only poked at the starting bits but seems fun. And you don't pick junk off the floor spending all game wondering if you'll need 30 bricks anymore! I think.

Tylana fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 11, 2019

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

nice

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

i approve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Tylana posted:

And you don't pick junk off the floor spending all game wondering if you'll need 30 bricks anymore! I think.

Yeah. Out of habit I keep stopping near messes on the floor and hitting G, but there aren't any rocks, forks or bottles to pick up.