Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Skyarb posted:

I'm a giant loving idiot. Should I get a Grom or a Monkey?

As someone with two years on a Grom; Razkul 125.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Skyarb posted:

Sachs MadAss

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Skyarb posted:

Kymco K Pipe

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Kymco K PipeSpade

Fixed

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Redvenom posted:

Go gently caress yourself petrol stations, go gently caress yourself....

Come on, there's a lot better way to carry gas home if you know what you're doing!

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Come on, there's a lot better way to carry gas home if you know what you're doing!

Use a Camelback like a real motorcyclist.

tjones
May 13, 2005
I only buy the best vacuum stainless steel hydroflasks for my petrol.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Super Duke

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Z125 and a MadAss. Together they were cheaper than a Grom (these are mine)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Madasses are cool and more people (myself included) should own them

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I would if they weren't rare as hens teeth and had some way to get groceries home on it.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
N8r bought a grom

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Slavvy posted:

Those photos are utter trash and are actively hurting your ability to attract buyers. You have to make some effort to actually sell the bike and make it seem appealing, I did a big effort post on this a while back but the tl;Dr is: you aren't selling a sensible vehicle to a rational person making an objective decision, you're selling the idea of fun to someone looking for something to brighten their life. You've gotta get them in the feels, make them think of sunny days, sitting at the cafe admiring their beast. lovely pictures of a grubby anonymous blob is only gonna attract fuckwits and lowballers.

E: here you go, looks like I was even directly talking to you!

OK,

Slavvy et al., Please tell me if this new batch of photos is any better.

I'd really like to sell this Bike soon, and without taking a big hit in the price.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Ok...

Those are my top 4 pictures.

What do y'all think?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Fix the scratch on the exhaust, then they'll be perfect. Right now, all I can see is that scratch.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Steakandchips posted:

Fix the scratch on the exhaust, then they'll be perfect. Right now, all I can see is that scratch.

How do I fix a scratch like that?

A Sharpie?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I don't even like HD and I have an uncontrollable desire to buy your bike. You nailed it. Those pictures are magazine worthy and your bike is gorgeous.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Coydog posted:

I don't even like HD and I have an uncontrollable desire to buy your bike. You nailed it. Those pictures are magazine worthy and your bike is gorgeous.

Thank you Coydog, that's great news.

I updated the craigslist, and applied the "scratch" feedback, and chose pictures that didn't highlight the scratch.

https://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/6973454753.html

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The Bananana posted:

Ok...

Those are my top 4 pictures.

What do y'all think?

That's the best one IMO but try not to cut parts of the bike off with the edge of the picture.

Also try to always have the front wheel turned so you can see it, never turn it edge-on to the camera because it makes the bike look weedy and awkward.

In general good job, your chances have gone up enormously!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The Bananana posted:

Thank you Coydog, that's great news.

I updated the craigslist, and applied the "scratch" feedback, and chose pictures that didn't highlight the scratch.

https://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/6973454753.html

This is a way better ad than your last one. :nice:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I have my bike back from Enfield, along with what seems like a more reasonable explanation of the problem. The owner there is a long time mechanic and that's who I ended up dealing with on this.

He said that Enfield was emphatic about getting tons of pictures of everything because they are desperately trying to understand and contain any lingering manufacturing issues on these bikes (lol).

Their diagnosis was that one of the valve rods was manufactured by a machine that was out of spec, and that the rod gradually damaged the valve. Enfield has also, just recently, moved from the cylinder head assembly that they had been using, to a new one which is in theory more rugged. Part of the delay was waiting for the shop to get one of the new assemblys for me. The owner said that he's actively working on building up a local parts inventory to turn this kind of stuff around faster, but that a lot of Enfield "dealerships" in the US are really just Ducati dealerships or something that want to use the cheap bikes to woo people in and then upsell them, and they don't want to be proper "dealers" in the way he's trying to be -- so, one way or another, Enfield needs to sort out their supply and distribution in the US, but given that I've committed to this bike I'm happy that my "local" dealership is trying to be a real shop. The total cost to me would have been $0 out the door, except I also had them replace my bent handlebar for me and a cracked blinker, which came to $90 with labor (I supplied the bar because I was going to do it myself before these other problems became more urgent, so that's the cost of a blinker plus a half hour of labor).

Here we are trailered up and on the way back to Vermont.

I put 30 miles on riding up to a ~2000' peak.

I parked next to some much fancier bikes with Canadian plates. There was a friendly seeming group of 3 guys speaking french by them.

I brought a DJI Phantom 3 up with me, but only snapped this one shot because the sky was darkening and I did not want to risk the descent in rain.

Safe and dry back in her tent, and as I write this I hear the first drops of rain banging on my metal roof.

Further updates as I either go more exciting places, or have more exciting Enfield Problems™

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s cool that enfield makes their own machines to make the rods

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It’s cool that enfield makes their own machines to make the rods

Er, I doubt if they do? I don't think this general class of defect is that unusual. For instance, we got Subaru to put a brand new short block into our 2015 forester, because of some issue with a machine that fabricated one of the parts for it being out of spec which causes some of these cars to burn oil at an unreasonable rate (in my case I was having the oil light come on in between regular 10000 mile changes, and was down ~a quart and a half in 6000 miles before they replaced the block).

One other note on my lol video -- It's worth realizing that the bike which broke in half was a rental used on Leh and Ladakh. One of my coworkers in Dehli has told me that tourists and locals alike rent bikes for those rides without having any idea what they're doing or getting into, abuse the gently caress out of the bikes, and then drop them back off. So, whether "bike breaks in half" was caused by "super lovely manufacturing" vs "a succession of lovely renters abusing it in ways it was not designed to tolerate", but the whole thing would give me second thoughts about renting a bike of any kind for the Leh / Ladakh rides, even though I know they are super popular and lots of people do it.

edit: I know that Enfield built new factories and sets of production lines for these bikes (https://blog.motorcycle.com/2017/08/28/motorcycle-news/royal-enfield-opens-third-factory/)

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 7, 2019

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Tim Raines IRL posted:

a lot of Enfield "dealerships" in the US are really just Ducati dealerships or something that want to use the cheap bikes to woo people in and then upsell them

"...but if you want a reliable bike, take a look at this Diavel..."

Cool to hear its back on the road!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Er, I doubt if they do?

It was a joke, based around the machine making the parts being faulty

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It was a joke, based around the machine making the parts being faulty

after I'd made the reply I realized I was probably being too literal, but you know what? If I make robotic posts that belie a thinly veiled tendency towards presenting as though I have impaired understanding, gently caress it, I'm not editing it out, that poo poo is probably as real as the nose on my face.

I will be sure to share your joke with my coworker in Delhi, because I bet he'll get it instantly and also think it's hilarious.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Tim Raines IRL posted:

after I'd made the reply I realized I was probably being too literal, but you know what? If I make robotic posts that belie a thinly veiled tendency towards presenting as though I have impaired understanding, gently caress it, I'm not editing it out, that poo poo is probably as real as the nose on my face.

I will be sure to share your joke with my coworker in Delhi, because I bet he'll get it instantly and also think it's hilarious.

Ok

:yikes:

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Lol, it sure is a lot to unpack in 1 post

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

The Bananana posted:

How do I fix a scratch like that?

A Sharpie?
I'd like recommendations for that too, I've got one on my exhaust from being a lazy dumbass and trying to squeeze it in front of my car in the garage without moving my car.

mewse
May 2, 2006

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I'd like recommendations for that too, I've got one on my exhaust from being a lazy dumbass and trying to squeeze it in front of my car in the garage without moving my car.

My kneejerk response would be bbq paint. I can't see a sharpie doing a good job. If it's non-stainless steel, maybe cold blue?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

photoshop

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

lawl

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

fr, if they spot it in person then they can haggle

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Either try to cover it up with a sharpie or equivalent paint pen, or own up to it and post it on the ad. If they going to see it anyway, expect major haggling when they discover it for the first time. Personally I prefer people to list what's wrong with something before I make the time to come see it. If a scratch is going to keep someone from buying your bike, better to know it up front and not waste both your time.

Seriously though it's just a scratch. Shouldn't be a huge deal.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

This past weekend, my friend an I went on a bike ride:
https://goo.gl/maps/i2aDEWFkfyicrYFW9
(e-holy crap Google maps sucks for sharing custom directions [to mobile devices]. Image for if you're trying to look at that link on your phone)

I rented this maximally farkled dadbike from https://www.allseasonmotorsports.ca/, which I can highly recommend to anyone renting a bike out of Calgary, and not only because they're the only place left that rents bikes in Calgary.

The ride was fantastic, great weather and great roads, especially the road south from salmon arm, and then from Vernon out to Fauquier. I've only been as far as Revelstoke once, in winter, so most of it was new territory for me.
On the Friday we took a little detour up to the Dreamcycle motorbike museum in Sorrento. Honestly I didn't know what to expect, thinking it might be a bit pony, but it was really good and well worth a visit if you find yourself out that way. Some ancient, rare bikes in there, and the guy who runs it knows them all inside out (since he restored them). You can even sit on the one remaining Galimberti in the world that he has on display!
Gallery: http://imgur.com/a/z4RDtSL

The Tiger itself? Really competent. The suspension was excellent, soaking up cattle grids, frost heaves, rumble stripes, train tracks, like they weren't there, all without being wallowy. It was comfortable, allowing you to stretch out in various ways. The bar risers let you stand no problem on the chunky pegs. The tires were of the chunky adv type (no idea what brand), but they stuck and cornered well enough. I didn't push hard because my friend is a cruiser rider from Alberta who's only been riding for a couple of years, and sometimes gets confused and frightened by corners. Also I'm not one to push things to far anyway.
The engine? It's a thing that converts chemical energy stored in gasoline to kinetic energy by burning said gasoline. You turn the throttle, bike goes faster. You turn it farther, the engine makes more enginey noises. That's about all I can say about it. If you told me it was a P-twin, I wouldn't question it. Compared to the triple in the street triple R I rented last year, it's night and day. The striple is playful, revvy, fun, and makes a nice noise when you rev it out. This lump just goes about its business with like an efficient bureaucrat. Also the shift lever has less feel than a Ducati rear brake - the gear indicator and rev change is all the indication you get that something happened when you made the gear change foot motion.
All in all, it was an unflappable, very competent, and highly boring motorcycle. I enjoyed riding it, but for the ride, and the scenery, not for the bike. So I guess in that regard, by being invisible, you could argue it gets out of the way and lets you enjoy the ride. But I like a bit of drama and sense of occasion in a bike, especially when I'm limited to riding one weekend a year.
I wouldn't buy one, which was good to find out, since I was considering one in the future.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 10, 2019

GeneticWeapon
May 13, 2007

mewse posted:

My kneejerk response would be bbq paint. I can't see a sharpie doing a good job. If it's non-stainless steel, maybe cold blue?

Sharpie looks alright for a couple of days, but it will fade quickly. I bought a small kit of model paint to fix the scratches on my bikes when they happen.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Finger Prince posted:

(e-holy crap Google maps sucks for sharing custom directions [to mobile devices]. Image for if you're trying to look at that link on your phone)

I rented this maximally farkled dadbike from https://www.allseasonmotorsports.ca/, which I can highly recommend to anyone renting a bike out of Calgary, and not only because they're the only place left that rents bikes in Calgary.

The ride was fantastic, great weather and great roads, especially the road south from salmon arm, and then from Vernon out to Fauquier. I've only been as far as Revelstoke once, in winter, so most of it was new territory for me.
On the Friday we took a little detour up to the Dreamcycle motorbike museum in Sorrento. Honestly I didn't know what to expect, thinking it might be a bit pony, but it was really good and well worth a visit if you find yourself out that way. Some ancient, rare bikes in there, and the guy who runs it knows them all inside out (since he restored them). You can even sit on the one remaining Galimberti in the world that he has on display!

The Tiger itself? Really competent. The suspension was excellent, soaking up cattle grids, frost heaves, rumble stripes, train tracks, like they weren't there, all without being wallowy. It was comfortable, allowing you to stretch out in various ways. The bar risers let you stand no problem on the chunky pegs. The tires were of the chunky adv type (no idea what brand), but they stuck and cornered well enough. I didn't push hard because my friend is a cruiser rider from Alberta who's only been riding for a couple of years, and sometimes gets confused and frightened by corners. Also I'm not one to push things to far anyway.
The engine? It's a thing that converts chemical energy stored in gasoline to kinetic energy by burning said gasoline. You turn the throttle, bike goes faster. You turn it farther, the engine makes more enginey noises. That's about all I can say about it. If you told me it was a P-twin, I wouldn't question it. Compared to the triple in the street triple R I rented last year, it's night and day. The striple is playful, revvy, fun, and makes a nice noise when you rev it out. This lump just goes about its business with like an efficient bureaucrat. Also the shift lever has less feel than a Ducati rear brake - the gear indicator and rev change is all the indication you get that something happened when you made the gear change foot motion.
All in all, it was an unflappable, very competent, and highly boring motorcycle. I enjoyed riding it, but for the ride, and the scenery, not for the bike. So I guess in that regard, by being invisible, you could argue it gets out of the way and lets you enjoy the ride. But I like a bit of drama and sense of occasion in a bike, especially when I'm limited to riding one weekend a year.
I wouldn't buy one, which was good to find out, since I was considering one in the future.

oh hell yeah I took that ferry too! we were on our way to Silverton, our last site in Canada before heading back to Portland. glad you got to enjoy the lovely weather too!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Finger Prince posted:

Oh, man. Yeah that's a great ride, I've only done Fauquier to Vernon once, but hopefully I can get it in next year. Amazing scenery changes as you go from the interior to the mountains. And there's that one really tight curve inside a canyon, I think? Right next to a restaurant that's otherwise in the middle of nowhere. I really should have stopped in there to check it out.

If you do it again but you've got an extra day, I strongly recommend going Nakusp->New Denver->Balfour Ferry->Kootenay Bay->Creston, then back to Cowtown along the Crowsnest and 22. I try and get that in at least once a year, with an overnight camp along the way, haven't done it on the Rex yet but hopefully in a couple weekends.

Phy fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Sep 11, 2019

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Phy posted:

Oh, man. Yeah that's a great ride, I've only done Fauquier to Vernon once, but hopefully I can get it in next year. Amazing scenery changes as you go from the interior to the mountains. And there's that one really tight curve inside a canyon, I think? Right next to a restaurant that's otherwise in the middle of nowhere. I really should have stopped in there to check it out.

If you do it again but you've got an extra day, I strongly recommend going Nakusp->New Denver->Balfour Ferry->Kootenay Bay->Creston, then back to Cowtown along the Crowsnest and 22. I try and get that in at least once a year, with an overnight camp along the way, haven't done it on the Rex yet but hopefully in a couple weekends.

There's a biker stop cafe place with some tight curves just after, lots of them. My buddy had a bit of trouble with one, thank goodness for intercoms... I let him lead and set the pace after helping get his bike out of the ditch. He was fine, kept it upright and stopped, the soft shoulder just swallowed his tires. He did alright getting back on and continuing after that, I was worried he'd totally be parking it every corner, but he still remembered how to turn and kept up a steady, if leisurely pace. He said he just was a bit psyched out by blind corners after that.
Thanks for the route tips! I was trying to work out a southerly route that went by Crowsnest, but the museum was a fixed destination and it would have been a bit of a slog fitting it in going south. I'll definitely plan that section for next time I'm out that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What do you guys do when you park in pay-and-display lots? Like, my receipt is literally going to blow away unless I... tape it to my windscreen?