Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
voter turnout is 5% less than 2016 at this point, the early election bullshit works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!

DariusLikewise posted:

the early election bullshit works

forgive my ignorance and sleepiness, but what does that mean? Is that good?

Also I couldn't sleep. Clown will eat me. I'm going now, but trying to meditate and clear my thoughts of the bad and focusing on the good has been a hellacious ride tonight.

I get to watch the new Neil Breen film tomorrow, so hooray for bad films. The WSO is doing a Jurassic Park night. Maybe I can actually make a "Cream of the crap" showing at the cinematheque one day. I have my health. Good non-conservative friends and family. I have a job that is exhausting but fulfilling. I made great beef gyro's the other day. I am almost finished writing my latest book.

Life can be good.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

infernal machines posted:

Depends, do you like sunlight and not freezing to death?

Hate it, hate it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Powershift posted:

Hate it, hate it.

Well then good news!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'll start winterizing my blood. Hope those mosquitoes have a strong liver.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I really shouldn't be surprised but it still never fails to amaze me. All the ridings full of new McMansions voted conservative, the places were plastered with billboards reading LOWER PROPERTY TAX - TAKE EDUCATION OUT OF PROPERTY TAX. So, these people moved to these areas specifically because they're good to raise kids in. There are few undesirables and the schools are good. So of course they voted to take money away from the schools. I get that the average person living there has way too much debt, and god forbid we pay for all that sprawl, but voting against the best interests of your own kids is a new one.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

autism ZX spectrum posted:

I really shouldn't be surprised but it still never fails to amaze me. All the ridings full of new McMansions voted conservative, the places were plastered with billboards reading LOWER PROPERTY TAX - TAKE EDUCATION OUT OF PROPERTY TAX. So, these people moved to these areas specifically because they're good to raise kids in. There are few undesirables and the schools are good. So of course they voted to take money away from the schools. I get that the average person living there has way too much debt, and god forbid we pay for all that sprawl, but voting against the best interests of your own kids is a new one.

no it's not have you heard about climate change

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I'm willing to give idiot boomers a pass on the climate change thing because it isn't really a tangible thing for the most part. If you're a creationist or just a moron it's possible you don't believe it. Voting to take money out of schools though is very much a cause -> effect thing

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I'm willing to give idiot boomers a pass on the climate change thing because it isn't really a tangible thing for the most part. If you're a creationist or just a moron it's possible you don't believe it. Voting to take money out of schools though is very much a cause -> effect thing

Sure it's cause and effect, but if you defund the schools your kids will never be smart enough to figure it out!

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

people in suburbia not wanting to pay taxes being seized on by corporate backed populism, lol, being a happy accident of ignorance is naive at best.

white man gotta rule the world even if it ends in flames. they are fully loving committed and willing to spend.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

I'm willing to give idiot boomers a pass on the climate change thing

I'm not. Our whole existence on Earth is at stake. Refusal to learn given new evidence under those circumstances is no excuse.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

they're voting to put other people's money into schools in place of theirs, rather than move money out. I mean, everyone pays property taxes directly or otherwise, so it's sort of fiddling at the edges, but there's definitely a motivation out there that doesn't accord with "starve the schools"

I don't think many boomers still have kids in school anyway, of course

Subjunctive has issued a correction as of 14:08 on Sep 11, 2019

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

nah dude its the same, they just don't believe removing money from schools leads to worse education because they buy propaganda that schools are overfunded and teachers are overpaid, it's the exact same rejection of cause -> effect as when they reject more co2 emissions -> climate change -> life as you know it ends

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:chaostrump:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 04:26 on Jun 20, 2021

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Funding schools through property taxes is stupid though, as it's exactly how the US gets amazing richly appointed schools with a dozen white kids in McMansion county while burnt out inner City schools get metal detectors and despair.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Subjunctive posted:

"

I don't think many boomers still have kids in school anyway, of course

Boomers don't.

"Those people" do, always "coming over here and having fifty kids".

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Catholics?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Every sperm is sacred, but some sperm are more sacred than others.

Now let's all gather round and sing Beasts From England

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

vyelkin posted:

nah dude its the same, they just don't believe removing money from schools leads to worse education because they buy propaganda that schools are overfunded and teachers are overpaid, it's the exact same rejection of cause -> effect as when they reject more co2 emissions -> climate change -> life as you know it ends

its worse then that, most boomers do not want to pay school taxes because they dont have kids in school anymore so why should they pay for it?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

eXXon posted:

Funding schools through property taxes is stupid though, as it's exactly how the US gets amazing richly appointed schools with a dozen white kids in McMansion county while burnt out inner City schools get metal detectors and despair.

people keep arguing this and while on the surface yes, school taxes through property taxes is bad policy it's being instituted by a conservative government that is going to use it to give rich people an 800 million tax break and cut that funding from school

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
Required listening:
https://youtu.be/5wHDFBZ9YKg

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

forgive my ignorance and sleepiness, but what does that mean? Is that good?

its bad, pallister called the election early and right before the federal election to generate apathy among voters which decreases turnout which usually favour conservatives

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Love too see that all the provinces with my best prospects for grad-school are the mega-chud ones. Kinda levels the playing field at least. Really coming down to Edmonton vs. Winnipeg.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Virtual Russian posted:

Love too see that all the provinces with my best prospects for grad-school are the mega-chud ones. Kinda levels the playing field at least. Really coming down to Edmonton vs. Winnipeg.

You have my condolences.

Even more required listening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLlsjEP7L-k

in fact, can we embed this on autoplay for the thread?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Virtual Russian posted:

uh, is this where we post the crisis hotline?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

please do

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

DariusLikewise posted:

its worse then that, most boomers do not want to pay school taxes because they dont have kids in school anymore so why should they pay for it?

I didn't think people like this existed until I worked with a guy who was talking about how the moment his kid gets old enough to stop going out of Halloween he's going to stop giving out candy and his exact words were "if my kid isn't getting anything anymore, why should I give out candy?" and then I understood why we are where we are as a society

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

I am toxic work and I hope you called this man a leech and never helped him for as long as you knew him

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Virtual Russian posted:

the edmonton university area is better than anything in winnipeg

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Welcome to Quebec when CAQ won.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
I love election time so much

https://twitter.com/TondaMacC/status/1172000459558535168?s=19

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Wait I didn't realize there was a PS3 reboot :captainpop:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's because the Liberal's don't care about the left wing enough to even notice it exists :rimshot:

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

I prefer this one:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
and yet isn’t Edmonton regarded as the more cosmopolitan of the albertan cities

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

priznat posted:

and yet isn’t Edmonton regarded as the more cosmopolitan of the albertan cities

Oh yeah, we look like Paris compared to any other place in the Prairies.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
8 fired, 7 suspended at City of Winnipeg after internal probe into ‘slacking’

(... after an internal review into the city’s Planning, Property and Development (PPD) department.)

Maybe Vancouver should be doing the same since they're kinda famous for their massive permitting backlog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

James Baud posted:

8 fired, 7 suspended at City of Winnipeg after internal probe into ‘slacking’

(... after an internal review into the city’s Planning, Property and Development (PPD) department.)

Maybe Vancouver should be doing the same since they're kinda famous for their massive permitting backlog.

SLACKER!!