Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What if you're being kidnapped or want to discreetly start recording audio like in those project veritas videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

What if you're being kidnapped or want to discreetly start recording audio like in those project veritas videos.

Hit the power button like 800 times to call 911?

Also you can record video without unlocking.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

I like faceid because I work with gloves on, so I can change the podcast I’m listening to without having to remove those gloves.

Touchid honestly just feels like a hassle now when I use it on my iPad.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Clark Nova posted:

Looks like Microsoft killed off cheap copies of Office in their Home Use program, replacing it with a discount on the subscription service. :rolleyes:

There are also cheap keys on eBay, which are apparently legal to resell in the EU

Are they?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

vkeios posted:

I like faceid because I work with gloves on, so I can change the podcast I’m listening to without having to remove those gloves.

Touchid honestly just feels like a hassle now when I use it on my iPad.

I like Touch ID because I sit in a lot of meetings and want to do what the PR says that Face ID will let you do: use the phone at a glance — i.e. poke it and glance at the screen without drawing attention to it by having to move at it in any wya and make it obvious that I'm now staring at my phone.

Once Face ID is a reliable a under-chin-and-up-the-nose-ID, we might have something to work with — that only leaves winter clothing (which is when unlocking it in your pocket becomes very handy).

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

AlternateAccount posted:

Do you know if they have deals for actual public school teachers?

If your school is using office 365 A3 or higher (or microsoft 365 A3 or higher) you could just use your credentials to fetch a free license.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

MarcusSA posted:

Why do you need to unlock your phone when you are driving but can’t look at it?

Or pocket for that matter...

Like say I got a message while driving and I want to see it on the lock screen. With Touch ID I could reach down and unlock it, then glance at it out of the corner of my eye. With Face ID I have to hold it up in front of my face and crash into a pedestrian.

As for pocket, there's lots of things I used to be able to do blindly, like changing tracks on music, launching an app discreetly, tapping out a brief message on the sly in a meeting as noted above.

E: don’t get me wrong, I like Face ID and think it’s marvelous. On balance it’s a huge improvement. Just saying it’s not without its ergonomic drawbacks.

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Sep 11, 2019

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

FaceID is awesome though.

Ideally we’d have both but I have to assume whole screen Touch ID isn’t ready for prime time or they would do it.

I don't like FaceID, but I would stop complaining if Apple gave me the option to immediately use my passcode to unlock instead of waiting for FaceID to fail twice. We're getting into winter clothing weather and it's typically made FaceID useless for me. It's easier to take off a glove to TouchID than it is to undo my scarf and hat or ditch my balaclava, and both are harder than just punching in my passcode which would still be an amazing fallback if it wasn't delayed response.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Martytoof posted:

I don't like FaceID, but I would stop complaining if Apple gave me the option to immediately use my passcode to unlock instead of waiting for FaceID to fail twice. We're getting into winter clothing weather and it's typically made FaceID useless for me. It's easier to take off a glove to TouchID than it is to undo my scarf and hat or ditch my balaclava, and both are harder than just punching in my passcode which would still be an amazing fallback if it wasn't delayed response.

When you swipe up to unlock, if you tap the "Face ID" text it will immediately pull up the keypad for entering your code. It's not instant, but faster than waiting for it come up by itself.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Violator posted:

When you swipe up to unlock, if you tap the "Face ID" text it will immediately pull up the keypad for entering your code. It's not instant, but faster than waiting for it come up by itself.

Thanks for this! Super unintuitive but it works; You just saved me a boat load of cumulative time!

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Like say I got a message while driving and I want to see it on the lock screen. With Touch ID I could reach down and unlock it, then glance at it out of the corner of my eye. With Face ID I have to hold it up in front of my face and crash into a pedestrian.

You shouldn't be reading texts while driving.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Data Graham posted:

Or you could ask Siri to read it. Or you could just loving wait. Even *Florida*, the lawless hellscape, will bust you for this poo poo now.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Don't read text messages while driving IMO.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Family Values posted:

You shouldn't be reading texts while driving.

People who use their phones driving are the worse.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yes thank you, I thought my note about hitting a pedestrian amply suggested that I know it is a bad thing.

But people will do it anyway, and I’m saying Face ID makes that :airquote: use case :airquote: more dangerous than it was with Touch ID.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

On my bus commute every morning I see a horrifying number of people watching movies while driving with their phones on dash mounts.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Data Graham posted:

Really kinda sucks if you want to unlock your phone but can't look at it (you're driving, it's in your pocket, etc)

CarPlay.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Dicty Brojangles posted:

On my bus commute every morning I see a horrifying number of people watching movies while driving with their phones on dash mounts.

These might be people using YouTube to stream a music video, I hope.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I was driving on a road trip with a buddy talking about a movie and he pulled his phone out, loaded the trailer, and held it up in front of my face while I’m speeding down the highway. I was so flabbergasted that I just looked around the phone for the whole three minutes it played but I should have yelled at him. I was just astonished and it would not surprise me that morons are watching movies while driving.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Violator posted:

I was driving on a road trip with a buddy talking about a movie and he pulled his phone out, loaded the trailer, and held it up in front of my face while I’m speeding down the highway. I was so flabbergasted that I just looked around the phone for the whole three minutes it played but I should have yelled at him. I was just astonished and it would not surprise me that morons are watching movies while driving.

that phone would have been slapped out of my face and would have fallen into the phone abyss aka the impossible-to-get-to place under my car's seat.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Why do you need to unlock your phone when you are driving but can’t look at it?

Or pocket for that matter...

If you ask Siri to make a phone call for you, it asks you to unlock your iPhone (assuming no CarPlay). That is easy with TouchID, but probably not with FaceID. There are possibly other things it will do this, like sending a text message, but I haven’t tried. I honestly only ever enabled Siri because it’s require for CarPlay.

I personally see no compelling reason to upgrade from my iPhone 7 Plus, except to go back to a smaller form factor. I would still be using my iPhone 6, but its 16GB of storage space made it unusable. I’m on a 256GB iPhone 7+ and still have 100GB before I run into trouble. :shobon:

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

AlternateAccount posted:

Do you know if they have deals for actual public school teachers?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/education/educators/default.aspx

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

If you ask Siri to make a phone call for you, it asks you to unlock your iPhone

This is not the case I just asked her to call one of my contacts and I had the phone facing away from me.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Hit the power button like 800 times to call 911?

Also you can record video without unlocking.

It only takes like 3 tries to call 911, which is coincidentally the minimum number of presses it takes for you to realize you're not pressing the volume button

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fallom posted:

It only takes like 3 tries to call 911, which is coincidentally the minimum number of presses it takes for you to realize you're not pressing the volume button

It’s 5 fast clicks to call 911.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
I have an external (wireless, non-bluetooth) mouse. What I would like to do is simulate holding down the right-click button for a long(ish) period of time without physically holding down the right-click button, so that I can get up from my computer while it does its thing.

What I think would work is a piece of software that could do this simulation—ideally with the sort of thing where I press some key combination (shift-f7 or something) to turn on the holding down, and then the same combination to turn it off.

I've fiddled with BetterTouchTool (which I use otherwise) and Karibiner to accomplish this, and the best I can do is set up a key combination to be a single right-click, but then I have to hold down that key combination, which doesn't really solve my problem, unless I can also find some software to also simulate holding down those keys.

On Windows, there's AutoHotkey, which can do this, but I cannot find a macOS equivalent.

Does anyone know of a way I can accomplish this?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Axiem posted:

I have an external (wireless, non-bluetooth) mouse. What I would like to do is simulate holding down the right-click button for a long(ish) period of time without physically holding down the right-click button, so that I can get up from my computer while it does its thing.

What I think would work is a piece of software that could do this simulation—ideally with the sort of thing where I press some key combination (shift-f7 or something) to turn on the holding down, and then the same combination to turn it off.

I've fiddled with BetterTouchTool (which I use otherwise) and Karibiner to accomplish this, and the best I can do is set up a key combination to be a single right-click, but then I have to hold down that key combination, which doesn't really solve my problem, unless I can also find some software to also simulate holding down those keys.

On Windows, there's AutoHotkey, which can do this, but I cannot find a macOS equivalent.

Why not just put a book on the button or something?

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

tuyop posted:

Why not just put a book on the button or something?

That’s what I currently do, though it’s subject to jostling and the like; it’d be nice to have a software solution.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Nice, thank you.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

This is not the case I just asked her to call one of my contacts and I had the phone facing away from me.

Well it’s definitely the case for me.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Uhhh, I just did the latest Catalina update and now.... my MBP is totally dead and bricked. No power, power button does nothing, completely unresponsive. Anything non-obvious to try?!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

Well it’s definitely the case for me.

If I had to guess you need to enable this

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah I’m not enabling that. I think it’s weird people want tech companies listening in on their conversations to avoid clicking a button. The only way I would enable that is if I truly needed a hands free setup, eg on a motorcycle. Anyway, I won’t continue the iPhone derail.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
You don't need Hey Siri. Just Allow Siri When Locked.

Axiem posted:

Controller Mate is the gold standard for this kind of stuff and can do anything.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

~Coxy posted:

You don't need Hey Siri. Just Allow Siri When Locked.

Ok I will make another post but only to defend my honor. I have that enabled. It doesn’t work. Asking for directions works, so some things do, but making a phone call isn’t one of them, at least for me, which is basically the only thing I ever use it for.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

Ok I will make another post but only to defend my honor. I have that enabled. It doesn’t work. Asking for directions works, so some things do, but making a phone call isn’t one of them, at least for me, which is basically the only thing I ever use it for.

Ok that’s weird. :shrug: it should work.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ve definitely had that unlocking needed message, but I just tried a call and it was fine with it. Maybe it’s iOS version dependent.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

AlternateAccount posted:

Uhhh, I just did the latest Catalina update and now.... my MBP is totally dead and bricked. No power, power button does nothing, completely unresponsive. Anything non-obvious to try?!
What year is it? Try resetting the SMC

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Is there a Catalina public beta? I can't really find any info on it.

Also it's pretty weird that iOS 13 will come out in September but Catalina won't come out until October. Right now iOS 13 breaks apps like Reminders because Reminders created in iOS 13 do not work with iOS 12 or Mojave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

What year is it? Try resetting the SMC

Tried that, no dice :(

Headed to the fruit stand in a few minutes.