Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Hedgehog Pie posted:

And those kid versions of the Nitro Girls are, er, definitely something!

yeah what the gently caress is that about. really weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I can’t imagine little girls wanting to be nitro girls let alone their parents wanting them to grow up to be nitro girls. This is the sort of gift someone’s weird uncle gets because he has no brain filter to tell him all the reasons it’s a terrible idea

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Aesop Poprock posted:

I can’t imagine little girls wanting to be nitro girls let alone their parents wanting them to grow up to be nitro girls. This is the sort of gift someone’s weird uncle gets because he has no brain filter to tell him all the reasons it’s a terrible idea

Nah it's the kind of merch that gets made when people realize that little girls like wrestling too, but these same people are stuck in the mindset of "if they are little girls then the only thing we can sell them are frilly dresses."

Not WCW related but semi related, didn't Maria, (pre grift days), try to get WWE to make some merch for girls based around the womens division and was fobbed off?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Alaois posted:

he was also immediately repackaged from The Ye-tay to Super Giant Ninja, a 7 foot tall man dressed in a bad halloween store Scorpion from Mortal Kombat costume

Yeah, but he's still called Yeti during World War 3 even though he's dressed like giant Scorpion from Mortal Kombat. He's also literally the very first person eliminated out of sixty even though he was promoted for weeks as one of the monsters of the match.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

there are only 4,998 public enemy pins in a warehouse somewhere and i'm going to find them

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I will not lie but I enjoyed the hell out Public Enemy vs Nasty Boys. They don't do good ol' fashioned garbage wrestling like that anymore outside of the ECW tribute shows and those are just sad.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

I get the impression Public Enemy really lived up to their name. They never seemed to hang around at any wrestling organization for very long. Also, I read Kurt Angle's book years ago, he mentioned them and said what amounted to, "we didn't like them, so we had the APA work them really stiff in their last match."

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

rujasu posted:

I get the impression Public Enemy really lived up to their name. They never seemed to hang around at any wrestling organization for very long. Also, I read Kurt Angle's book years ago, he mentioned them and said what amounted to, "we didn't like them, so we had the APA work them really stiff in their last match."

Public Enemy were the Nasty Boys without Hogan's protection. They were hosed up most of the time, didn't understand people that weren't on their level of hosed up and died young.

Also the fact it was two white dudes co-opting militant african american culture is another one of those things that could only exist in the 90s.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

The American Dream posted:

I spent 2 days painting my grandparents new shed for the money for Wwf warzone.

Then electronics boutique offered revenge for $10 if you traded in WWF Warzone towards it, greatest trade in the history of our sport.

woah that's a deal.

(warzone and attitude were trash awful games and I knew the wcw n64 games were better but I was a playstation wwf mark so that's on me)

also I want that dean malenko eyes of ice shirt, I know you own the rights to it wwe just reprint it

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Public Enemy also had heat in WWE because they turned down an offer from them and opted to sign with WCW instead, so when they went to WWF in 99 it was made sure that the locker room would hate their guts. That's why they were only there for like 3 months.

MrBling fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 11, 2019

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/kerryawful/status/1171821859370872832

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

But nWo was supposed to be 4 Ly...

https://twitter.com/urbanheretic187/status/1171822401811865601

motherfucker.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Considering who Rodman still pals around with, he's the only guy who took the NWO 4 Life seriously.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Those tiny belt pins are great

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

MrBling posted:

Public Enemy also had heat in WWE because they turned down an offer from them and opted to sign with WCW instead, so when they went to WWF in 99 it was made sure that the locker room would hate their guts. That's why they were only there for like 3 months.

This is such a Vince McMahon thing to do. Sign wrestlers out of spite just to embarrass them under contract.

This thread inspired me to go and check out some of their ECW stuff and man I never need to see them again.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

shiksa posted:

(warzone and attitude were trash awful games and I knew the wcw n64 games were better but I was a playstation wwf mark so that's on me)

Disagree. The N64 games were probably better (I didn't have much opportunity to play them) but War Zone and Attitude were solid, enjoyable games and were miles ahead of everything else that came out on PlayStation for WCW or WWF.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

rujasu posted:

Disagree. The N64 games were probably better (I didn't have much opportunity to play them) but War Zone and Attitude were solid, enjoyable games and were miles ahead of everything else that came out on PlayStation for WCW or WWF.

Had you had more opportunity to play the N64 games, you wouldn't be making this argument.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rujasu posted:

Smackdown! and Smackdown! 2 were both better than they were, and were for the Playstation, wtf

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Attitude and war zone would be ok games if the n64 wcw games never existed. Especially since the snes/sega era games were so bad.

Those aki n64 games really blew everything out of the water they were so good. Even 20 years later it would probably be worth dropping $100 for a used n64 and the 4 aki games.

Someone recently made a rom based on no mercy but it’s all turner era wcw wrestlers. It looks amazing.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
yeah if I'd never gone to my friends house and played wcw v nwo I probably would've liked them fine. smackdown 1 and 2 did rule a lot.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

ecavalli posted:

Had you had more opportunity to play the N64 games, you wouldn't be making this argument.

Randaconda posted:

Smackdown! and Smackdown! 2 were both better than they were, and were for the Playstation, wtf

I didn't play SmackDown! 2, but I preferred Attitude to SmackDown! 1. I dunno, I kinda bounced off SD! and didn't have any interest in playing SD!2.

Here's how I'd rank wrestling games I put significant time into:

No Mercy (N64) > Wrestlemania 2K (N64) > Attitude (PSX) > War Zone (PSX) > SmackDown! 1 (PSX) > WCW Mayhem (PSX) >>>>>>>>>>> Wrestlemania 2K (GBC) > WCW Nitro/Thunder (PSX)

I should probably walk back "miles ahead of everything else that came out on PlayStation" - they were both miles ahead of Nitro and Thunder and slightly ahead of SmackDown! 1, and maybe SD!2 was better.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

War Zone was my fave wrestling game, even after the smackdown games came out. They even had a training mode that showed your inputs so you could figure out the timing and patterns because all the cool moves require a string of inputs.

I never had an N64 so I can't talk on No Mercy(I think I played it like once).

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

attitude definitely sucked in relation to warzone. it all felt more rinky dink and cheapo somehow despite technically having more MOVES~!

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

The American Dream posted:

Attitude and war zone would be ok games if the n64 wcw games never existed. Especially since the snes/sega era games were so bad.

Exactly. They may not have looked/sounded amazing thanks to the lacking storage space on those N64 carts, but they had gameplay that simply embarrassed everything that came before — especially if you had four players in the same room.

Hell, I'd argue that for pure gameplay feel and visceral fun factor, those Aki games easily beat out any modern WWE games.

rujasu posted:

No Mercy (N64) > Wrestlemania 2K (N64) > Attitude (PSX) > War Zone (PSX) > SmackDown! 1 (PSX) > WCW Mayhem (PSX) >>>>>>>>>>> Wrestlemania 2K (GBC) > WCW Nitro/Thunder (PSX)

Putting WCW Nitro/Thunder at the rear end end of the list is entirely correct. That loving game was abysmal. That said, it had some hilarious wrestler intro videos.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

IIRC Thunder having the weirdest cage climbing mechanic. You could scale the sides of the cage like a fast spider but good luck actually doing anything with it.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

ecavalli posted:

Putting WCW Nitro/Thunder at the rear end end of the list is entirely correct. That loving game was abysmal. That said, it had some hilarious wrestler intro videos.

They had to have blown the entire budget for those games on those FMV's. I guess the best thing I can say for them is that they were fairly simple to pick up and play, but I don't know why you'd ever want to.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeEGs_ierWo

I always enjoyed Kevin Nash encouraging you to pick somebody else. Didn't even want to work more than he had to in a video game

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Have some pity for those of us who rented Backstage Assault. :(

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Have some pity for those of us who rented Backstage Assault. :(

i did not mind the mayhem/backstage assault sequence tbh. they were incredibly satisfying simulators of slow, clunky wrestling, the commentary was good and in the one that had a ring you could decide to rotate yourself away from your opponent and launch yourself to the arena floor from the top rope for no reason

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

lost my old email posted:

i did not mind the mayhem/backstage assault sequence tbh. they were incredibly satisfying simulators of slow, clunky wrestling, the commentary was good and in the one that had a ring you could decide to rotate yourself away from your opponent and launch yourself to the arena floor from the top rope for no reason

I actually have good memories of Mayhem! Less so Backstage Assault.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
I picked up a used copy of Thunder at Blockbuster and it was so bad. I brought it back and the guy who sold it to me less than an hour earlier gave me a refund with no questions asked. He had to have played it and knew my pain.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i don't like fighting games, and didn't like the idea of a wrestling game if i can't have 'great matches' in them, so didn't like the button combo fighting games in a wrestling ring that made it impossible to have a story-like match in any way. warzone and attitude were both that way but attitude had a ton more content so i did play that for a little while

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 11, 2019

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Cavauro posted:

i don't like fighting games, and didn't like the idea of a wrestling game if i can't have 'great matches' in them, so didn't like the button combo fighting games in a wrestling ring that made it impossible to have a story-like match in any way. warzone and attitude were both that way but attitude had a ton more content so i did play that for a little while

You feelin' okay, Cav? This was a weirdly sedate post from you.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

mearn posted:

I always enjoyed Kevin Nash encouraging you to pick somebody else. Didn't even want to work more than he had to in a video game

Sting is either high as gently caress or didn't give a single gently caress.

I'm curious if they really dragged all those people in, individually, with their gear on, to tape those intros or if they did them on a green screen at shows. Piper says "I heard Nash say 'don't pick me!' so fine!" so in my dreams, they crammed the entire roster into the recording studio.

Fake edit:

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

iamsosmrt posted:

This is such a Vince McMahon thing to do. Sign wrestlers out of spite just to embarrass them under contract.

This thread inspired me to go and check out some of their ECW stuff and man I never need to see them again.

The scary thing is, Public Enemy wasn't half as good in WCW as they were in ECW.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm curious if they really dragged all those people in, individually, with their gear on, to tape those intros or if they did them on a green screen at shows. Piper says "I heard Nash say 'don't pick me!' so fine!" so in my dreams, they crammed the entire roster into the recording studio.

It's definitely green screen, but at the time, with WCW paying to fly everyone to every show, it probably wouldn't have been too hard to get whoever you need together.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

lost my old email posted:

Yeah, I thought it was weird how you could miss doing a flying move on an opponent who was lying on the mat, but I liked Tony Schiavone going, "How did he miss? Do we have to draw a big X on the guy's chest?!"

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

ecavalli posted:

You feelin' okay, Cav? This was a weirdly sedate post from you.

thank you for caring for your family e-cav

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

mearn posted:

Was this the game where the wrestlers got different costumes based on what stable you put them in? I remember seeing a character model in one of the 90s games that had Hogan in Raven's Flock and it was pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

there was a very good AJPW game on the PS1 but it never came out in the US. All Japan Pro Wrestling - King's Soul