Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Dune + Messiah are two parts of the same book and should be read together and then you should not read anything else except this thread.

Dune Encyclopedia is cool and good and meta-canonical per the Word of Frank and should be read by all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

if youve got kanly yo ill solve it
check out this suk
while my mentat remoulds it

Word to your Reverend Mother

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Schadenboner posted:

Dune Encyclopedia is cool and good and meta-canonical per the Word of Frank and should be read by all.

is there a digital version of this somewhere? it's expensive as gently caress used and it's never going to get reprinted due to the baleful influence of He Who Is Not To Be Named.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

yo this Folio Society version is pretty af

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

uber_stoat posted:

is there a digital version of this somewhere? it's expensive as gently caress used and it's never going to get reprinted due to the baleful influence of He Who Is Not To Be Named.

I think someone posted a link a few pages back (linked in a tweet, I believe) that has a whole pdf.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

uber_stoat posted:

I posted it a few pages back, can't find the tweet myself tho. Just go looking.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Vlex posted:

I posted it a few pages back, can't find the tweet myself tho. Just go looking.

got it, thanks!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

This is the tweet and this is the link.

Also, If you look under your avatar you'll notice an octothorpe and a questionmark - the first takes you to the current post and the second creates a mini-thread of posts only by that user, so if you know who posted something in a thread you can quickly search through it that way, without relying on SA Search (even though it sort-of works right now) or google's site search.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

D. Ebdrup posted:

an octothorpe

this is my word of the day. you rule.

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

I read Dune for the first time this spring. It ruled. The narrative crescendos blew my hair clean off. The Missionaria Protectiva is really hosed up.

So then I watched Lynch's Dune by dodgy means. I thought it sucked. I never watched it when I was young, but all my cousins did and thought it was cool but it is not as cool as the book.

Then I found this thread and the Sweded video is so good and I'm still working on reading God-Emperor, but my brother brought me SciFi Dune and I just wanted to shout one thing into the void before I go back to lurking and reading GEoD:

Chani has water-fat tiddies

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Mistaken For Bacon posted:

I read Dune for the first time this spring. It ruled. The narrative crescendos blew my hair clean off. The Missionaria Protectiva is really hosed up.

So then I watched Lynch's Dune by dodgy means. I thought it sucked. I never watched it when I was young, but all my cousins did and thought it was cool but it is not as cool as the book.

Then I found this thread and the Sweded video is so good and I'm still working on reading God-Emperor, but my brother brought me SciFi Dune and I just wanted to shout one thing into the void before I go back to lurking and reading GEoD:

Sand-sail boat, sand-sail boat. Those big things keep you afloat.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
I’ll always have a special place in my heart for Lynch’s Dune because I saw it around ‘85 as a ten year old. I thought it was loving amazing at the time - far more interesting than Star Wars or Trek. Then i read the book when I was around 17 for the first time and realized that the movie does indeed suck in comparison. Nostalgia is a powerful force. “Father, the sleeper has awakened!”

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Mistaken For Bacon posted:

I see that you've watched the director's cut, as the tiddies were restored therein. Blessed tiddies.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Honestly thought the miniseries was pretty good. Nailed the casting for the Baron and the guy playing Paul had a few good scenes even though he was too old for the role until the last third.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I enjoyed Children of Dune because you got to see Leto rip a giant plasteel church door out of the wall with his bare hands and then spin Alia by her leg around his head like a helicopter like he was the Hulk.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Meridian posted:

Honestly thought the miniseries was pretty good. Nailed the casting for the Baron and the guy playing Paul had a few good scenes even though he was too old for the role until the last third.

Not a big fan of redhead Barons myself

Overnight Blaze
Mar 7, 2017

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I enjoyed Children of Dune because you got to see Leto rip a giant plasteel church door out of the wall with his bare hands and then spin Alia by her leg around his head like a helicopter like he was the Hulk.

Leto II getting sandworm superpowers is so bizarre compared to everything before it, it's one of my favorite parts of the series.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

It's just unfortunate that some books take nearly the entire length of the book to become good

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
I will kill him!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

my dog died im sad posted:

I will kill him!

I had that line stuck in my head as a child long before I ever saw the Dune movie because they kept saying it on MST3K.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I WILL KILL HIM!!!

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

They have tried to take the life of my son!

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

I had that line stuck in my head as a child long before I ever saw the Dune movie because they kept saying it on MST3K.

The MST3k take on Lynch's Dune would be fantastic.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

Mister Speaker posted:

I WILL KILL HIM!!!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I think I was 14 or 15 when I first tried reading Dune, and bogged down about a third of the way in. Had a hard time getting into it.

Then I happened to spot the Lynch movie at the video rental store, watched it, and suddenly the book clicked; I devoured the rest of the series.

The movie's weird and not necessarily fully true to the book, but I appreciate it and am glad it exists.

Also I know I've said this before in the thread but:

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i want to see another attempt but it has to be like an old-school epic. lavish sets and costuming, the entire thing filmed on 70mm film, entr'acte and minimum one intermission, thousands of extras trucked out into the desert, and the studio nearly goes bankrupt trying to finish the movie.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

An intermission was confirmed for Villanueve's Dune. It's approximately 1 year.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Do you own a monkey's paw, Farmer Crack rear end?

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Potentially never ending if the worm flops.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Lovely fade to black.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
loving my harem of Harkonnen girls: "I wish this was Paul"

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

rndmnmbr posted:

The MST3k take on Lynch's Dune would be fantastic.

Lynch's Dune is complete trash unworthy of commemoration. Smithee's Dune, on the other hand, is a camp classic and should be required yearly viewing (along with the as-of-yet unrecovered original cut of Event Horizon).

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The Alternative Edition Redux version of Dune is the only version that's good: :colbert:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

It's okay. Not bad for a first record you put on the web.

That's a remastered version. The originals were sliiightly different, rougher, and better imo.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

SniperWoreConverse posted:

someone repost that article that someone wrote about why dune never became a star wars, how the nature of it makes it v hard to become like that

The first draft of Star Wars was literally set in the Dune universe but ok

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

alexandriao posted:

That's a remastered version. The originals were sliiightly different, rougher, and better imo.

No, I heard it before it was remastered and I was like "this is a decent concept album made by a high school student". It's a curiosity and not much more.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

alexandriao posted:

The first draft of Star Wars was literally set in the Dune universe but ok

wait do you mean this literally or facetiously

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Tree Bucket posted:

Do you own a monkey's paw, Farmer Crack rear end?

i was wondering why my finger kept cramping up so bad

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The early Star Wars script drafts are interesting, not to say good. You can tell Lucas went back to them to mine himself for Star Warsy ideas when he began to write the prequels, too.

They’re not literally set in Dune universe though. The “spice” that comes up briefly in actual Star Wars and more prominently in the drafts is just an appropriately sci-fi sounding replacement for the secret gold in The Hidden Fortress.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

skasion posted:

The early Star Wars script drafts are interesting, not to say good. You can tell Lucas went back to them to mine himself for Star Warsy ideas when he began to write the prequels, too.

They’re not literally set in Dune universe though. The “spice” that comes up briefly in actual Star Wars and more prominently in the drafts is just an appropriately sci-fi sounding replacement for the secret gold in The Hidden Fortress.

quote:

LUKE
The time has come for me to tell you of your heritage, as Deak told it to me and as his older brother Cliegg told it to him.
The boys settle down and listen attentively.
LUKE (CONT’D)
In another time, long before the Empire, and before the Republic had been formed, a holy man called the Skywalker became aware of a powerful energy field which he believed influenced the destiny of all living creatures…
BIGGS
The “FORCE OF OTHERS”!
LUKE
Yes, and after much study, he was able to know the force, and it communicated with him. He came to see things in a new way. His “aura” and powers grew very strong. The Skywalker brought a new life to the people of his system, and became one of the founders of the Republic Galactica.
WINDY
The “FORCE OF OTHERS” talked to him!?!
LUKE
In a manner different from the way we talk. As you know, the “FORCE OF OTHERS” has two halves: Ashla, the good, and Bogan, the paraforce or evil part. Fortunately, Skywalker came to know the good half and was able to resist the paraforce; but he realized that if he taught others the way of the Ashla, some, with less strength, might come to know Bogan, the dark side, and bring unthinkable suffering to the Universe.
LUKE (CONT’D)
For this reason, the Skywalker entrusted the secret of THE FORCE only to his twelve children, and they in turn passed on the knowledge only to their children, who became known as the Jedi Bendu of the Ashla: “the servants of the force”. For thousands of years, they brought peace and justice to the galaxy. At one time there were several hundred Jedi families, but now there are only two or three.
WINDY
What happened to them?
LUKE
As the Republic spread throughout the galaxy, encompassing over a million worlds, the GREAT SENATE grew to such overwhelming proportions that it no longer responded to the needs of its citizens. After a series of assassinations and elaborately rigged elections, the Great Senate became secretly controlled by the Power and Transport guilds. When the Jedi discovered the conspiracy and attempted to purge the Senate, they were denounced as traitors. Several Jedi allowed themselves to be tried and executed, but most of them fled into the Outland systems and tried to tell people of the conspiracy. But the elders chose to remain behind, and the Great Senate diverted them by creating civil disorder. The Senate secretly instigated race wars, and aided anti-government terrorists. They slowed down the system of justice, which caused the crime rate to rise to the point where a totally controlled and oppressive police state was welcomed by the systems. The Empire was born. The systems were exploited by a new economic policy which raised the cost of power and transport to unbelievable heights.
LUKE (CONT’D)
Many worlds were destroyed this way. Many people starved…
BIGGS
Why didn’t the “FORCE OF OTHERS” help the Jedi to put things right?
LUKE
Because a terrible thing happened. During one of his lessons a young PADAWAN-JEDI, a boy named Darklighter, came to know the evil half of the force, and fell victim to the spell of the dreaded Bogan. He ran away from his instructor and taught the evil ways of the Bogan Force to a clan of Sith pirates, who then spread untold misery throughout the systems. They became the personal bodyguards of the Emperor. The Jedi were hunted down by these deadly Sith knights. With every Jedi death, contact with the Ashla grows weaker, and the force of the Bogan grows more powerful.
WINDY
Where are the Jedi now?
LUKE
They’re hidden; but many are still fighting to free the systems from the grip of the Empire. Our father is a Jedi. He is called “The Starkiller” and is said to be a great and wise man, and tomorrow I am on my way to join him and learn the ways of the “FORCE OF OTHERS”.
BIGGS
Can we go, too?
LUKE
Not yet, Biggs my boy. There is much you must learn from Uncle Owen — where it is safe. And when you are ready, I will come back for you… I promise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

I wonder if he knew that "bogan" is australian slang for redneck