Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyOvQfgQhKQ

Didn't see this posted, apologies if I missed it. I'm really digging the look of it, there really aren't enough comedy films in a year (and often the ones that exist aren't anything exciting, cookie cutter things from people who aren't actually funny etc) so definitely perks my interest. D'Arcy Carden, Neil Casey, and Beck Bennett are alone to sell me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It was posted but deserves to be again

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Vagabundo posted:

Are they, though? The box office returns say otherwise. In 2017, 3 of the top 5 top grossing films at the US box office for the year were Superhero films (I'm assuming that's what you're talking about. Or are we including films such as Oldboy, Road to Perdition, Blue is the Warmest Colour, etc?). In 2018, it was 4 of the top 5 spots. In 2019, it's been 3 out of 5 again.

The "people" you're referring to are, in all likelihood, a vocal minority projecting their views on everyone else and passing off their opinion as fact. For all this talk of "superhero fatigue," where's the actual evidence?

"I'M loving SICK OF THESE COMIC BOOK MOVIES"--critic
"why do people hate this movie???"
"because they're sick of comic book movies"
"(rams glasses up nose so far they go through your forehead and into your brain) actually"

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I am enjoying the irony of the lifecycle superhero movies have had. People wanted superhero movies, so they got them. Then they wanted good ones, got those too. They wanted to see their heroes team up and fight each other, then that happened. Then people started complaining that they were tired of them, and why can't studios try something different? "No, not like that."

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

kiimo posted:

It was posted but deserves to be again

D'oh, I literally went one page further back than I originally did and there it was. Glad to see others excited by it too, the YouTube comments are, of course, YouTube Commenty and full of dweebs.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

Seeing this movie called The Twentieth Century tomorrow. It's a Canadian gonzo biopic by way of Guy Maddin. Unfortunate the trailer is only on Facebook.

Update: this movie loving owned. Everyone should see it, but if you're Canadian it should be mandatory.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

flashy_mcflash posted:

Update: this movie loving owned. Everyone should see it, but if you're Canadian it should be mandatory.

Does it have a distributor? Although it does feel like it downtown not everybody in the country is in Toronto this week to catch it at TIFF.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

LifeLynx posted:

I am enjoying the irony of the lifecycle superhero movies have had. People wanted superhero movies, so they got them. Then they wanted good ones, got those too. They wanted to see their heroes team up and fight each other, then that happened. Then people started complaining that they were tired of them, and why can't studios try something different? "No, not like that."

Actually, this is not how it happened.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Lobok posted:

Does it have a distributor? Although it does feel like it downtown not everybody in the country is in Toronto this week to catch it at TIFF.

Yup. Best Friend Forever has the worldwide rights, Maison 4:3 has Canadian rights, and Oscilloscope has US.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Peanut President posted:

"(rams glasses up nose so far they go through your forehead and into your brain) actually"

Nice meltdown.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Peanut President posted:

The actual superhero fatigue is among media commentators, be them critics or people who make jokes about movies. Even complaining about superhero movies is tired now. The general audience just watches them the same as always.

What I'm interested to see is how the disconnect between these people develop. Used to be it was "the general audience loves braindead movies critics hate", then it's "the general audience loves these popular movies critics love", soon it might be "critics and audience love these braindead movies".

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The MSJ posted:

The actual superhero fatigue is among media commentators, be them critics or people who make jokes about movies. Even complaining about superhero movies is tired now. The general audience just watches them the same as always.

What I'm interested to see is how the disconnect between these people develop. Used to be it was "the general audience loves braindead movies critics hate", then it's "the general audience loves these popular movies critics love", soon it might be "critics and audience love these braindead movies".

The upcoming superhero/comicbook movies will be Joker in October, then nothing else all year until Birds of Prey and Bloodshot next February, followed by New Mutants in April, Black Widow in May, Wonder Woman 1984 in June and Eternals in November. I can't imagine that any of those are going to be breaking any records so expect a whole bunch of articles screaming "Audiences are dropping off! The bubble has finally burst!" for months on end.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The bubble has burst.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

The bubble has burst.
Huh? Don't these comic movies still make huge amounts of money?

I'm sure if Infinity War + Endgame hadn't slowed the pace of the entire Marvel franchise down, we'd still be seeing the normal amount of major character movies multiple times a year. It's really just that big event gumming up the works for a bit.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The upcoming superhero/comicbook movies will be Joker in October, then nothing else all year until Birds of Prey and Bloodshot next February, followed by New Mutants in April, Black Widow in May, Wonder Woman 1984 in June and Eternals in November. I can't imagine that any of those are going to be breaking any records so expect a whole bunch of articles screaming "Audiences are dropping off! The bubble has finally burst!" for months on end.

There's gonna be a bunch of TV shows coming up, aside from the ones already airing. "Superheroes" is probably a TV/Movie genre or subgenre by now, like it or not, and people just love it. Así es la vida :shrug:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The "bubble bursting" also implies that they're gonna keep running the exact same business model and the exact same style of movie over the next decade or whatever, when everything is indicating that they're focusing on diversifying their portfolio in part with all the Disney+ stuff, but also with something like Dr. Strange 2 apparently being a horror movie. Whether that's actually the case or not remains to be seen, but it's not hard to imagine the next logical step being a coordinated move away from "superhero movies" and more into genre fiction.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Sep 12, 2019

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Anyone feeling happy today?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZfBr6MPIKE

There you go!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
New Mutants is never coming out.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

LifeLynx posted:

I never wanted them.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

The MSJ posted:

I think it's probably when you have to watch movies as your job you get sick of seeing the same poo poo over and over whereas if you're a consumer you can just not go to see it. Also, critics already like braindead movies, as long as they are pretentious and braindead instead of simple and braindead.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

exquisite tea posted:

I never wanted them.

And I never wanted Fast and Furious movies. Then 5 showed up and we're stuck with them for good, and all we can do is enjoy the ride.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

New Mutants is never coming out.

Which is bizarre, because I'm sure it's a whatever movie. The longer they delay it, the worse they're making it. If any cut exists with finished effects they should just quietly dump it on Hulu.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

feedmyleg posted:

Which is bizarre, because I'm sure it's a whatever movie. The longer they delay it, the worse they're making it. If any cut exists with finished effects they should just quietly dump it on Hulu.

2 years of reshoots makes me wonder how much money they blew on this thing.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Peanut President posted:

as long as they are pretentious and braindead instead of simple and braindead.

please cite examples of films that ride the pretense of being braindead

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Rumor in the industry is that it's so bad it's unwatchable and probably not releasable. I don't know how that's possible, but that's what I've heard.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Dillbag posted:

Rumor in the industry is that it's so bad it's unwatchable and probably not releasable. I don't know how that's possible, but that's what I've heard.

Which version is unwatchable?

There's like 4 now right?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Have the Suicide Squad trailer editors make a cut of New Mutants, that way there will be songs that I rocked out to in high school playing in the movie

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Dillbag posted:

Worse than Endgame?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

NO RING

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

any movie you like :smug:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I thought they haven't reshot anything yet.

Last (rumor?) we heard, Disney wanted to drop all references to the word 'mutant', or at least the characters knowing anything about the world of mutants, so that it might fit in a timeline before the first MCU X-Men movie and maybe the characters/actors could be integrated in.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 12, 2019

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Peanut President posted:

any movie you like :smug:

:hmmyes:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

So are we talking Gremlins 2, or what?

Because I'd take Gremlins 2 any and every day over this endless deluge of crap from Disney.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

So are we talking Gremlins 2, or what?

Because I'd take Gremlins 2 any and every day over this endless deluge of crap from Disney.
I recently watched Gremlins 1 & 2 back to back and was blown away with how great the sequel was. I dunno if you're trolling about it, but I found all of the fourth-wall meta stuff absolutely hilarious.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

JazzFlight posted:

I recently watched Gremlins 1 & 2 back to back and was blown away with how great the sequel was. I dunno if you're trolling about it, but I found all of the fourth-wall meta stuff absolutely hilarious.

Not trolling at all. I can see someone calling the movie 'pretentious' and or 'braindead' simultaneously, and neither of those terms disqualifies it from being incredible.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

What I mean is that use of 'pretentious' as a catchall term makes it mean both everything and nothing. Is this being done in support of a claim that critics (or even just film enthusiasts) who understand how to interpret film language on some level are engaging with the material artificially?

If the word is going to be used in such a vague and dismissive way I'd be interested in knowing what films op considers 'pretentious and braindead' as opposed to the dogshit MCU films that are being defended as worthwhile.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Submitted for this thread's approval...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqPCBdOViOQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

i'm only afraid of the grimdark reboot