Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Krankenstyle posted:

the celsius scale has roughly 100 degrees between the coldest and hottest temperatures on earth, centered on the freezing point of water. it just makes sense

what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I like Fahrenheit because anything under 0 degrees is a place you shouldn't live and anything over 100 is a place you shouldn't live

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Krankenstyle posted:

the celsius scale has roughly 100 degrees between the coldest and hottest temperatures on earth, centered on the freezing point of water. it just makes sense

I mean, maybe soon 32F will be as cold as it gets but... no? In the northeastern US, late(sometimes even middle) fall, winter, and early spring are full of temperatures way below the freezing point of water, to the point where in the winter 32 isn't even that cold out. 0C isn't all that cold and 100C is a natural atmospheric temperature outside of like... being close to lava.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Serf posted:

i think its more about the usa's imperialism, not chile's (??)

another man in the pocket of big Chile

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Grondoth posted:

I mean, maybe soon 32F will be as cold as it gets but... no? In the northeastern US, late(sometimes even middle) fall, winter, and early spring are full of temperatures way below the freezing point of water, to the point where in the winter 32 isn't even that cold out. 0C isn't all that cold and 100C is a natural atmospheric temperature outside of like... being close to lava.

I think he's saying -50C to 50C, not 0-100C, hence 'centered'

how this is meant to be more convenient for anything is unclear since it's a handy-dandy mnemonic involving negative numbers and if you're not a scientist half of that scale is just fine gradations on it's way too goddamned cold

A Wizard of Goatse has issued a correction as of 20:15 on Sep 11, 2019

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Grondoth posted:

he's saying 100 points centered on 0, so -50 to +50, which does correspond pretty well to the most extreme temperatures its possible to encounter (-58F to 122F)

of course this ignores that the portion of the range that people actually inhabit is compressed into a much smaller part of that 100 point range, so decimalized and negative values need to be used far more frequently in day-to-day life (which isn't hard, but is genuinely less intuitive)

e;fb

LGD has issued a correction as of 20:20 on Sep 11, 2019

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
oh

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
Jesus shut the gently caress up about temperature scales.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Irradiation posted:

Jesus shut the gently caress up about temperatures.

it's right there in the thread title numbnuts

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Serf posted:

i think its more about the usa's imperialism, not chile's (??)
as i said, it's a dumb tweet in many ways

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

https://twitter.com/TexanforTrump/status/1171652982565421058

rest of the thread is same old "children: good or bad?" bullshit but that's 🔥

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Uh oh

https://twitter.com/aoc/status/1171897574103666689?s=21

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
https://twitter.com/HowlinFantods/status/1171858241476866049

although I'm sure Grover Norquist's incoming meltdown will trump all of this

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Civilized Fishbot posted:

This is not true. Kelvin is just Celsius plus 273 degrees. Kelvin is based on Celsius, and Farenheit is independent of both. There's not a "more accurate" set of units for recording temperature.

Bzzzt

and they’re not called “degrees”.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the vaping ban is awesome gently caress you vapers!!!!

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
We Get It, You (Don't Get To) Vape

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
the vaping ban is a good thing from a pure health standpoint.

Vaping is insanely bad for you.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The vaping ban makes vapers angry and that’s good enough for me.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the warriors but it’s a bunch of teens trying to get the last mango flavored juul pods

vaaaaaaapers, come out and vvvaaaaaa-aaaaape

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

CharlestheHammer posted:

the vaping ban is a good thing from a pure health standpoint.

Vaping is insanely bad for you.

yeah now all the vapers who are already addicted will have to get their nicotine from a healthier source, like low tar cigarettes

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Al! posted:

yeah now all the vapers who are already addicted will have to get their nicotine from a healthier source, like low tar cigarettes

from what I’ve seen those might actually be healthier. Not like by much but still

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Al! posted:

or they could quit

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Al! posted:

Addicted to mango flavour?

They’re poo poo out of luck because they could never get flavoured cigarettes.

They can still get flavour‐free vapes.

In what universe do people go “I can’t get flavored vapejizz now so I guess I’ll switch to equally flavorless cigarettes”?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I guess I didn’t specify flavored vapes but yeah that is what’s getting banned, not like vaping in general.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

VAPERS RISE UP

sad to see AOC attacking Trump from the right when it comes to imperialism

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
does all that apply to weed vapes too or just the cigarette kinds?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Platystemon posted:

Addicted to mango flavour?

They’re poo poo out of luck because they could never get flavoured cigarettes.

They can still get flavour‐free vapes.

In what universe do people go “I can’t get flavored vapejizz now so I guess I’ll switch to equally flavorless cigarettes”?

they can buy mangoes now

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I guess I didn’t specify flavored vapes but yeah that is what’s getting banned, not like vaping in general.

it's too bad they didn't ban all vaping though it would have been very funny

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I was very confused when the vaping trend started because to me "vaping" was only about weed.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
I'm still mad at Obama for banning cloves. Fucker.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
Weed vapes are cool and good and basically the only way I can inoculate myself to go outside

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

LGD posted:

he's saying 100 points centered on 0, so -50 to +50, which does correspond pretty well to the most extreme temperatures its possible to encounter (-58F to 122F)

of course this ignores that the portion of the range that people actually inhabit is compressed into a much smaller part of that 100 point range, so decimalized and negative values need to be used far more frequently in day-to-day life (which isn't hard, but is genuinely less intuitive)

e;fb

Pro tip from someone who lives in a country that uses Celsius

We almost never use any non-integer number temperatures in everyday life, because the idea of needing anything more exact for temperatures in a non-scientific setting is ridiculous. And negative ones for temperatures are pretty rare here, too.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ya same. direct sun vs shade, humidity, and wind all make more than 1C/2F difference so decimals are worthless in a weather context

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Platystemon posted:

mostly me, since I used to be a pack a day smoker

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

well, with that kind of ban, perhaps the curse of dipping will once again be loosed on high schools the country over

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
a vaping ban will make all people who vape officially Cool since doing crimes is obviously a very cool thing to do.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Krankenstyle posted:

ya same. direct sun vs shade, humidity, and wind all make more than 1C/2F difference so decimals are worthless in a weather context

Differences of less than one centigrade can matter.

There are plants that take superficial damage at e.g. 30°F but at 29°F they’ll die back to the ground.

Plants don’t feel the wind like we do and shade is irrelevant at night. It’s true that temperature can vary over a small area, but it’s generally correlated. If the forecast says it will be 30°F on Tuesday and 29°F on Wednesday, it may not be exactly 30°F on Tuesday at your place, but it’s a good bet that it will be colder on Wednesday than on Tuesday.

There’s still a risk that one “30°F” night isn’t the same as the next “30°F” night because of local or other factors (like higher cold sensitivity in wet soil), but granularity is good and it’s nice having it on apps and devices that otherwise wouldn’t by flipping the toggle to “I miss the empire :wotwot:”.

The people making that electronic home weather station won’t bother to program and display tenths of Celsius degrees, but they have to have Fahrenheit. It’s a selling point.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

you're not really refuting my point there chief

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If difference in temperature of less than one centigrade didn’t matter, we would not yet have felt global warming.

How’s that for a hot take?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Platystemon posted:

If difference in temperature of less than one centigrade didn’t matter, we would not yet have felt global warming.

How’s that for a hot take?

weather is local, climate is global

decimals make sense in an averaged global context, not in a momentary local context