Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Conspiratiorist posted:

Timeline of events?

timeline of temp increases, and what happens at certain temp increases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
you people

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
This thread is good when it talks about things like carbon capture and what it would actually take and why it won't work as a license to keep polluting, or actual scientific projections on what's going to happen. It's real bad when it gets to the apocalypse fantasy circlejerk though, and it does that all the time.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
this thread is great for toeing the line on what must not be said

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Real talk civil disobedience is good, and right, and if you're able you should join a movement planning mass civil disobedience

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Elukka posted:

This thread is good when it talks about things like carbon capture and what it would actually take and why it won't work as a license to keep polluting, or actual scientific projections on what's going to happen. It's real bad when it gets to the apocalypse fantasy circlejerk though, and it does that all the time.
Tbf pretty much everything has been said that's going to be on that topic for the foreseeable future unless there's radically something new that isn't just a PopSci article. The only actual new and exciting content is how much more ice melt we got this month n how much closer we get to BoE or how another category 69 hurricane is pummeling Florida or another mega heatwave or another country running out of water.

We just recycle the same syndicated plot lines:
Individual action is good and useful / it's actually bad n worthless
Nihlistic hedonism is ok because no ethics under capitalism / actually it's bad
Anti-white people anti-natalists is good bc we have too many whites / MALTHUSISTS
Nuclear is good and necessary / actually it's bad and we don't need it because pumped sewage storage
Trees will save us when things get really bad there's still hope / no it can't
Flirtatious eco direct action but not / won't work
Roving van-lifers
Domes domes domes and more domes
Madmax power fantasies, imma raid ur bunker pete thiel

Xaris fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Sep 11, 2019

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Would you like to be enraged by climate denialism today? Boy, have I got the article for you!

Australian natural disasters minister David Littleproud: 'I don't know if climate change is manmade'

It has everything: outright denialism, pretending the science isn't sure about the cause of climate change, 'it has always been changing', claiming we can't know that climate change caused a particular fire, accusing the Greens of politicizing a tragedy and even supporting a 'sensible' response to climate change through [checks notes] supporting the production of more coal and gas.

Somehow, Australia's government always manages to be worse than even the Trump administration when it comes to climate change.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

I never understood the argument.

Ok, let's say it's not manmade, and it is bound to happen anyway. We loving know from science what is needed to lessen the impact. Why don't we do it then?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dante80 posted:

Ok, let's say it's not manmade, and it is bound to happen anyway. We loving know from science what is needed to lessen the impact. Why don't we do it then?

If you win that point they'll just jump to "it's too late". If you dispute that point they'll jump to "actually climate change is good".

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Although I am ultimately very pessimistic, I do think it's worth considering tipping points: the physical systems of the Earth have them, but civilization does as well; it feels as though nothing will ever change, but there will be a moment when the reality of the situation comes crashing home. It's inevitable, and I think it will happen soon, but the question is whether it will be soon enough.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

If you win that point they'll just jump to "it's too late". If you dispute that point they'll jump to "actually climate change is good".

But after that last jump you've successfully identified a Screamer by making it fail the Turing Test, so just open fire with your Desert Eagle? Should be easy to declare yourself the victor of the debate afterwards.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Dante80 posted:

Because outright denial is still pretty common here in Australia, at least by those on the right in power. It's not bound to happen because it isn't actually happening, etc etc.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

porfiria posted:

Although I am ultimately very pessimistic, I do think it's worth considering tipping points: the physical systems of the Earth have them, but civilization does as well; it feels as though nothing will ever change, but there will be a moment when the reality of the situation comes crashing home. It's inevitable, and I think it will happen soon, but the question is whether it will be soon enough.

In Europe it kind of is already, green parties are growing at an incredible rate and are enjoying a lot of support, they are the biggest single-issue parties in general. Such a shame that a lot of them consider themselves to be politically centrist, and many are happy with Macron-style economic incentives for capitalists which at this point, yeah is much too little too late.

Read a fresh report today that basically is capitalism's answer.html

https://eto.dnvgl.com/2019

The tldr is we're gonna blow past 2.0 to 2.5 degrees for sure due to "lack of political will" (to create incentives for electrified industry, electric cars), oil needs to mostly end in the early twenties, we gotta get 1500 billion dollars investment in the energy grid each year, need octuple the rate of renewable energy development by 2030 and we need to increase battery production by the low low amount of 50 times before 2030.

Yeah looks like we're saved guys. Globalist capitalism has got this in the bag! Thank gently caress, I was getting worried there for a second.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

It's the most efficient of all economic systems, at killing off its host.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Is there a good timeline of events that I can look at? It's not easy to find correct information it seems.

If you mean historical timeline the NYTimes magazine had an issue dedicated to this one topic: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/08/01/magazine/climate-change-losing-earth.html

It's really disheartening to read but what isn't itt?

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Martian posted:

Somehow, Australia's government always manages to be worse than even the Trump administration when it comes to climate change.

If you're Australian, you can take comfort in the existence of Alberta, where the leadership won't even admit climate change is happening.

As one of only two land-locked Canadian provinces they've been tantrumming for a while about the lack of enthusiasm for pipelines they feel they need to get even more diluted bitumen from their tar bitumen sands to all the overseas markets wetting themselves at the possibility of buying even more lovely heavy oil-like product. Latest move by their government is to set up a commission of inquiry into foreign funding of environmental movements opposed to pipelines and oil tankers. As part of his inquiry the commissioner will be travelling to B.C. to gather evidence that those of us opposing even more dilBit tankers in our waters are only doing so because of all that sweet, sweet Sierra Club money. Or maybe Soros money - I dunno, have to check the signature on the last cheque.

If Alberta ever does carry through with threats to secede from Canada Australians can rejoice that there is now a country with a government dumber than theirs.

At least despite a lack of rain it's been a mild, cloudy summer and neither province is burning down as fast as usual over the last five years. Still time for a dry autumn though. The soil is insanely dry atm.

e: And now the premier of Alberta is suggesting that Putin might have the right idea for dealing with environmentalists. Sorry Australia, you've have to step up your game if you want to regain your title.

Hexigrammus fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 11, 2019

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

How did this article sneak by us...

quote:

A Washington Post analysis of more than a century of National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration temperature data across the Lower 48 states and 3,107 counties has found that major areas are nearing or have already crossed the 2-degree Celsius mark.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Dante80 posted:

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Am I looking at this map correctly? Did the climate deniers effectively pray the heat away?

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Kunabomber posted:

Am I looking at this map correctly? Did the climate deniers effectively pray the heat away?

Look at Mississippi! Suck it libs.

My personal experience there is that it's never been hotter but that map says otherwise.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Cali looks like the hottest state SO OBVIOUSLY WE SHOULDNT I VEST IN RENEWABLES BECAUSE ITS THE LIBERALS DOING CLIMATE CHANGE

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

"I'm gonna be dead before I can enjoy this 'better world' you're promising, so *gently caress everyone and everything*!"

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

Look at Mississippi! Suck it libs.

My personal experience there is that it's never been hotter but that map says otherwise.

I've lived in CT more or less all of my life, and anecdotally it is extremely obvious that it's warmer here. My community garden has tons of retirees who've been gardening there for decades, and they're all constantly talking about how difficult the last ~10 years have been. More pests, more diseases, plants like tomatoes that just don't want to grow/ripen because it's consistently too warm. Small gardens that aren't professionally managed are incredibly vulnerable to extended periods where temperatures are just a few degrees too warm.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Hexigrammus posted:

If you're Australian, you can take comfort in the existence of Alberta, where the leadership won't even admit climate change is happening.

e: And now the premier of Alberta is suggesting that Putin might have the right idea for dealing with environmentalists. Sorry Australia, you've have to step up your game if you want to regain your title.

I don't want to take anything away from the sterling effort Alberta's leaders are putting in, it's truly impressive. But if you think Australia is going down without a fight you should think again.

Merely two days ago the minister for water resources, drought, natural disaster and emergency management, David Littleproud, has said that he doesn’t “know if climate change is manmade”. Littleproud’s position was supported by the Nationals deputy leader, Bridget McKenzie, the minister for resources and northern Australia, Matt Canavan, and the environment minister, Sussan Ley, all of who denied knowledge of or downplayed the link.

This at a time when bushfire season has started two months early, in winter, in subtropical regions that don't normally burn and most of New South Wales and Queensland are experiencing a severe drought.

Don't come play with the big boys if you don't expect a challenge.

for reference
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/sep/10/david-littleproud-australian-minister-disaster-climate-change-man-made

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...-climate-crisis

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Paradoxish posted:

I've lived in CT more or less all of my life, and anecdotally it is extremely obvious that it's warmer here. My community garden has tons of retirees who've been gardening there for decades, and they're all constantly talking about how difficult the last ~10 years have been. More pests, more diseases, plants like tomatoes that just don't want to grow/ripen because it's consistently too warm. Small gardens that aren't professionally managed are incredibly vulnerable to extended periods where temperatures are just a few degrees too warm.

how difficult and expensive would it be to grow something like tomatoes in a partially indoor climate controlled setting?

What labor, materials, time, etc. would be required?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
In the past decade Australia has had 3 Prime Minsters who tried to do more than nothing about climate change and in each case it was a huge part of why they lost.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

To be fair, I posted this over a year ago in an older thread:

Evil_Greven posted:

You're aware that we've already seen an increase in global mean temperature of over 1°C and not even a 50% increase in CO2 ppm, right?

You're aware that this is in spite of our dimming pollutants, yes?

You're aware that since the 1960s, temperatures recorded by radiosonde have risen by over 0.85°C?
Look at the decadal means...
1960s mean: -0.118
1970s mean: -0.13
1980s mean: 0.06
1990s mean: 0.185
2000s mean: 0.352
2010s mean: 0.739 (through 2016)

Before you say that's bullshit, let me just remind you of something: the graph you normally will see is NOAA Land and Ocean Anomaly.

Unsurprisingly, water ain't warming quite as fast as the atmosphere and so it's pulling the curve down. Take a gander at playing with the plot (Land vs. Ocean vs. Land and Ocean).

So when I say yeah, we're over a degree and approached two degrees in 2016, I ain't making poo poo up like some might want to believe. If you take out our loving dimming, we're probably over +2°C preindustrial already over land:. Some might want to be pedantic and incorporate SST in sounding such an alarm, but they drat well better realize we ain't cooling down anytime soon. SST is going to catch up over time and we don't live in the ocean - never mind the reliability in older measurements of SST.

Ocean lags behind Land, and it's a gigantic portion of the Earth, so it's way worse over Land.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
Hi guys, I am a high school maths high school teacher and was interested in doing the climate strike next Friday (20 Sep) but have decided that a far more impactful thing to do than striking would be to spend the day teaching about climate change, the mathematics of it, etc.

Has anyone done this for high school students in a positive (ie not boring) way?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

bobvonunheil posted:

Hi guys, I am a high school maths high school teacher and was interested in doing the climate strike next Friday (20 Sep) but have decided that a far more impactful thing to do than striking would be to spend the day teaching about climate change, the mathematics of it, etc.

Has anyone done this for high school students in a positive (ie not boring) way?

Maybe explain logarithmic scale to them, and why "2C" vs. "3-4C" is a big deal. As someone said - either in this thread or the other, a good way to explain why 2C is as bad as 3C+ is that if your body temperature permanently increased two degrees (either in C or F), you'd be dead.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

how difficult and expensive would it be to grow something like tomatoes in a partially indoor climate controlled setting?

I'm not a commercial grower so I really don't know how it's done at scale, but I can say that an amateur level it's much easier to use indoor environments to protect against the cold than it is to protect against the heat. Greenhouses are generally pretty cheap and easy to set up if you aren't growing a ton of crops, but their main purpose is to keep crops warm. Cooling is usually semi-passive and the intent is to keep your plants from overheating when it's very warm out, because the greenhouse environment will be warmer than the outdoor environment (which is generally the point).

Actively cooling a greenhouse for personal use would be tough and I don't even know how you'd go about doing it. If it's somehow just flat out too hot for tomatoes to grow in the summer, you'd be better off using a greenhouse to extend your growing season into the fall when it's cooler and taking advantage of the greenhouse to keep temperatures up rather than trying to beat the heat.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Tab8715 posted:

Fans to fan out heat and lights are the most power intensive its easy as gently caress.The lights will keep everything nice and warm
a controlled environment allows better growth than outdoors, You can grow watermelons indoors easy. Labor time dependent on size of operation. For example yoi could grow a tomato plant in a 32 gal rubbermade container in your closet with CFL bulbs. Its ghetto but itll work. You could scale up and do 10 plants and yarn them for maximun light penetration. It all is dependent on your plan.

I own a 5,000 sqft warehouse with 4 indoor growing rooms . Really a simple process if your smart enough to automate.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

bobvonunheil posted:

I've gone into math a bit in this and past threads. I'm not a teacher, but maybe some stuff like this would serve as ideas.

Calculating CO2 mass in the atmosphere:
Earth's atmosphere: 5,148 trillion tonnes.
Mean molar mass of the atmosphere: 28.97g/mole
Carbon Dioxide (CO2) molar mass: 44.0095 g/mole
Atmospheric CO2 parts per million (ppm), March 2017: 407.05 ppm
Atmospheric CO2 mass, March 2017 (atmosphere mass * (carbon dioxide molar mass / atmosphere molar mass) * CO2 ppm): 3.18 trillion tonnes of CO2

Calculating CH4 mass in the atmosphere:
Earth's atmosphere: 5,148,000 gigatonnes (Gt) = a
Mean molar mass of the atmosphere: 28.97g/mole = b
Methane (CH4) molar mass: 16.04 g/mole = c
Atmospheric CH4 ppm, 1984 annual mean: 1.64456 ppm = d
Atmospheric CH4 mass, 1984 (a * (c / b) * d): 4.69 Gt = e

The equation for Stefan-Boltzmann is E = σT^4
E = energy flux (W/m^2)
σ = 5.67×10^-8 W/m^2
T = temperature (in Kelvin)

Incoming solar power averaged over the Earth's surface with its current albedo is ~240 W/m^2:
~240 W/m^2 = 5.67x10^-8 W/m^2 * T^4
T = (240 W/m^2 / 5.67x10^-8 W/m^2)^(1/4)
T = ~255K

But wait, you say - the Earth's surface is ~288K not ~255K:
E = 5.67x10^-8 * (288K)^4
E = ~390 W/m^2

255K is the average temperature of the Earth's atmosphere (it can be really cold depending on altitude).

Some really old oil post:
The U.S. oil consumption is around 19 million barrels a day (circa 2011). This is pretty large, about 22% of global oil consumption. It's sometimes hard to visualize just how much that is, though.

At a little under 160 liters per barrel, that's over 3 billion liters a day, or over 3 million cubic meters of oil. This works out visually to over three square km covered a meter deep in oil. So, that's about 1100 square km annually to the depth of a meter, or 1.1 cubic km of oil.

Now, the average weight of crude oil is around 0.825 kg/liter for a total approaching 2.5 billion kg daily (the average composition by weight is about 84% carbon, so that's over 2 billion kg of carbon daily), and there's an estimated (in 2000) 230 trillion kg (230 gigatonnes) of crude oil in the earth.

So, it'd take 92,000 days for the U.S. to consume all the world's oil at 2011 rates. 250 years seems like a lot, but remember one little thing - the U.S. only accounts for 22% of global oil consumption. This cuts the figure to 70 years... from 2000... assuming no increases/decreases in consumption.

9/11 side note, since I saw Rime coming to the realization back in 2017 looking at these old posts, 9/11 caused grounding of commuter flights which altered global dimming that we had inflicted upon ourselves and increased the day/night variation in temperatures (dimming moderates temperatures).

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Evil_Greven posted:

A great post

The internet seems to have a blanket of spam from anti peak oil posts, But it seems there are countries that are starting to dry up in terms of oil production. "Dry Up" as a term of decades, not a year or two down the road. What happens to the nonaligned countries when the wells dry up? mass immigration?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

bobvonunheil posted:

I’m a teacher (science and social studies) and I would argue that it’s not more impactful to teach about this.

The strike shows solidarity with a huge range of people who are probably very new to activism. Being another body in this context means that you personally demonstrate the power of collective action in a way that simply plying your trade can’t. Go strike.

All of you. Walk out of your loving jobs on the 20th.

Unless you’re in Canada, then you do it on the 27th because we’re loving dumb.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Xaris posted:

Tbf pretty much everything has been said that's going to be on that topic for the foreseeable future unless there's radically something new that isn't just a PopSci article. The only actual new and exciting content is how much more ice melt we got this month n how much closer we get to BoE or how another category 69 hurricane is pummeling Florida or another mega heatwave or another country running out of water.

We just recycle the same syndicated plot lines:
Individual action is good and useful / it's actually bad n worthless
Nihlistic hedonism is ok because no ethics under capitalism / actually it's bad
Anti-white people anti-natalists is good bc we have too many whites / MALTHUSISTS
Nuclear is good and necessary / actually it's bad and we don't need it because pumped sewage storage
Trees will save us when things get really bad there's still hope / no it can't
Flirtatious eco direct action but not / won't work
Roving van-lifers
Domes domes domes and more domes
Madmax power fantasies, imma raid ur bunker pete thiel

This is true of all d + d threads. It's social media, people aren't going to really discuss things in that format

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

bobvonunheil posted:

You're gonna get a lot of angry emails and calls from parents, just saying.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

tuyop posted:

I’m a teacher (science and social studies) and I would argue that it’s not more impactful to teach about this.

The strike shows solidarity with a huge range of people who are probably very new to activism. Being another body in this context means that you personally demonstrate the power of collective action in a way that simply plying your trade can’t. Go strike.

All of you. Walk out of your loving jobs on the 20th.

Unless you’re in Canada, then you do it on the 27th because we’re loving dumb.

Yeah, I kind of agree with this. We're past the point where it makes sense to really try to convince people or even teach them the science. Mainstream media is largely on board with the messaging of "climate change is real, it's bad, we're hosed." The only people you're fighting against now are the ones that are willfully ignorant, and even when it comes to kids you're going to hit a wall of diminishing returns since their parents are going to push back hard.

The best you can do for these kids is to show that direct, collective action can make a meaningful difference and cause people to actually sit up and notice. I have a feeling you're going to eat a lot of negative feedback no matter what though.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Teaching people about global warming and science at face value is overall a good thing.

All of the leading climate scientists (Hayoe, Michael Mann, Etc.) regularly speak about global warming to future PhDs to grade school children.

They know we’re going beyond 2C and they’re still spreading awareness because people don’t know fully comprehend climate change.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Fans to fan out heat and lights are the most power intensive its easy as gently caress.The lights will keep everything nice and warm
a controlled environment allows better growth than outdoors, You can grow watermelons indoors easy. Labor time dependent on size of operation. For example yoi could grow a tomato plant in a 32 gal rubbermade container in your closet with CFL bulbs. Its ghetto but itll work. You could scale up and do 10 plants and yarn them for maximun light penetration. It all is dependent on your plan.

I own a 5,000 sqft warehouse with 4 indoor growing rooms . Really a simple process if your smart enough to automate.

Interesting.

Now scale this solution across the entire planet because this is one of many things we will need to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

Teaching people about global warming and science at face value is overall a good thing.

All of the leading climate scientists (Hayoe, Michael Mann, Etc.) regularly speak about global warming to future PhDs to grade school children.

They know we’re going beyond 2C and they’re still spreading awareness because people don’t know fully comprehend climate change.

Teaching is fine, but if we're talking about direct effects then taking part in the climate strike is going to be drastically more impactful.

It's almost certainly never going to happen on the scale necessary, but a national general strike is probably one of the few things that could actually make a difference.