Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Julio Cruz posted:

it's the Scone of Stone, because dwarf bread is made out of rock
I always thought the joke was that it was just a rock.

Like they creatively go on about what it's made of and the dwarven bakers and the properties (the main one being that you take it out of your pocket when you're hungry, think about eating it, then put it back, the other being you can throw it at people) and it's implied but never stated to be a bread made of rock, but it would just as well apply to a rock you just found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Aunt Isobel was +0114417371370. Died 40 years ago. :(

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Guavanaut posted:

Like they creatively go on about what it's made of and the dwarven bakers and the properties (the main one being that you take it out of your pocket when you're hungry, think about eating it, then put it back, the other being you can throw it at people) and it's implied but never stated to be a bread made of rock, but it would just as well apply to a rock you just found.

nah, this comes up in the fifth elephant, it's definitely some sort of bread. probably a fair bit of rocks in, but still fundamentally bread.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Rust Martialis posted:

Aunt Isobel was +0114417371370. Died 40 years ago. :(

No she wasn't. The + replaces/means the 011 (or 00 if you're in America for instance)

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
just fyi if anyone's watching Grand Designs there's a property developer who's currently :qq:ing that his contractors are actually knocking off at 4pm instead of working harder/later like he'd really like them to

it's pretty good schadenfreude

also his design is all based around circles, then when everyone told him how complicated building circular buildings is his response was "no I think it'll be easy actually"

he's currently 2 months behind schedule and way over budget :gritin:

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 11, 2019

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

The actual joke is that it's a parody of Lembas from LOTR. If elf bread is delicious, airy and magical, dwarf bread is.. well.. a lot like a rock.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Julio Cruz posted:

just fyi if anyone's watching Grand Designs there's a property developer who's currently :qq:ing that his contractors are actually knocking off at 4pm instead of working harder/later like he'd really like them to

Not as much schadenfreude as the presenter ripping off a poo poo ton of his investors!

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/RosamundUrwin/status/1171873763295682560
https://twitter.com/RosamundUrwin/status/1171874282017869824
https://twitter.com/RosamundUrwin/status/1171874438620602375

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Phone chat.
People saying their number when they pick up may be a remnant from old time movies.

My mother doesn't say a thing when she picks up the phone. She learned that cold call scammers will only react if you talk first.
And if there's no one talking after 30 seconds, she puts it down.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

CoolCab posted:

nah, this comes up in the fifth elephant, it's definitely some sort of bread. probably a fair bit of rocks in, but still fundamentally bread.
I do remember something about cats litter being ideal for loaves, but battle muffins as used in dwarf riots sound a lot more like random rocks the size of a fist than any baked thing.

Unless as above, the joke is that dwarves can bake something harder than a rock.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Julio Cruz posted:

also his design is all based around circles, then when everyone told him how complicated building circular buildings is his response was "no I think it'll be easy actually"

he's currently 2 months behind schedule and way over budget :gritin:

Vaguely related, the way that people on these shows seem to fetishise the idea of "my own home which is perfect and exactly how I want it" is deeply disturbing to me and I've often wondered if I'm the only person who feels this way. It's grotesquely self centred and unnecessary and most of the time utterly meaningless.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

RabidWeasel posted:

Vaguely related, the way that people on these shows seem to fetishise the idea of "my own home which is perfect and exactly how I want it" is deeply disturbing to me and I've often wondered if I'm the only person who feels this way. It's grotesquely self centred and unnecessary and most of the time utterly meaningless.

see also weddings

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

Anyone know if this would just effect vehicles or like central heating and that too?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

RabidWeasel posted:

I would like my home to be perfect for me, but that's more like "I'd like to be able to stand up properly in the shower" (loving sloping bathroom roofs are one of the things I really don't like about old terraced houses with retrofitted bathrooms and whatever genius last did the bathroom put the shower in the low corner) rather than a circular rotating kitchen and a swimming pool.

It is nice to have something 'for you' in your place of occupancy too, but that doesn't require land ownership or obsessive redesign.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Has Rees come out yet and said the Yellowhammer writers don't know poo poo and are spreading fear?
Funny why he hasn't.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

happyhippy posted:

Has Rees come out yet and said the Yellowhammer writers don't know poo poo and are spreading fear?
Funny why he hasn't.

Let's hope he does so some pissed-off civil servant leaks the good poo poo.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

"Nigel Farage has said that the Conservative Party and the Brexit Party would be "unstoppable" if they formed a pact to work together at the next general election.

The Brexit Party leader said: "What I am saying is I am somewhat disappointed that I offer a genuine hand of friendship and I say 'come on Boris Johnson, let's get the leavers of this country united, let's fight a general election because it is coming at some point before too long'."

Farage disappointed at self for reaching out to flailing Walrus.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Samovar posted:

No, no, he'll be found zipped up inside a gym bag and the coroner will conclude it's a suicide.

Too direct. More likely he'll be found unconscious drunk next to the body of his mistress, he's already handed them publicity that its a fiery relationship.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

happyhippy posted:

Funny why he hasn't.

can't do the real sick burns without parliamentary privilege amirite

hope he's got some way of venting his impotent rage

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Jedit posted:

Yes, but that doesn't mean that the public get to see it unredacted.

One of the side-benefits for Boris of proroguing parliament is that there's no chance of an uppity MP reading the complete unredacted document live on BBC Parliament. At least not until tuesday.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i'll say it again - i think a bxp con electoral alliance is basically a lock. if they can't do it in public, it will be a backroom thing - weaker candidates instead of straight up not standing eg.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

CoolCab posted:

i'll say it again - i think a bxp con electoral alliance is basically a lock. if they can't do it in public, it will be a backroom thing - weaker candidates instead of straight up not standing eg.

Weaker candidates would still be a bloodbath, just not quite as big a bloodbath. Most people don't vote for the local candidate, they vote for the leader or party. The Brexit Party fielding a complete washout of a candidate would still be enough to destabilise a Tory marginal.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

CoolCab posted:

The thing is it doesn't matter how "strong" or "weak" the person is, it's that their vote share cannibalises each other.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah that's the problem, the public isn't in on your backroom electoral pact.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
What’s all this talk about Black Swan being the actual worst case scenario not Yellowhammer? (Which has clearly just been retitled)

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Aidan_702 posted:

What’s all this talk about Black Swan being the actual worst case scenario not Yellowhammer? (Which has clearly just been retitled)

Black Swan is the army shooting everyone striking in the Yellowhammer docs

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

https://twitter.com/paulmasonnews/status/1171879622830645252?s=20

:eyepop:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Josef bugman posted:

True, but once again it's only going to be crazy people, such as ourselves, who are doing this/paying that much attention.

I hope so!

RabidWeasel posted:

From seeing how it was shown on the news during the day (we have it on in the office which has been pleasingly amusing recently) it felt like Corbyn got at least as much screen time as Watson which was good, though before the proroguation judgement came out there was quite a lot of bullshit being thrown around by talking heads as you might expect. Len McCluskey dropped some loving huge shade on Watson which was hilarious and they even let him do a pretty long bit on how Labour's brexit policy is the only one which makes sense.

To be fair I didn't see it properly, just appeared like Watson was getting a minute or two of speech delivery, so maybe I missed Corbs etc and it was more "trouble in t'Labour again" than anything else :shobon:

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

https://twitter.com/Byline_Media/status/1171856106882252802

:surprised pikachu face so big it blots out the sun: who would of fuckin guessed the charlatans pushing for leave the hardest are gambling other peoples money on it to their own benefit?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Julio Cruz posted:

see also weddings

I was going to add that but at least weddings have guests and you throw a big party even if it's ludicruously overblown and dumb.

Guavanaut posted:

I would like my home to be perfect for me, but that's more like "I'd like to be able to stand up properly in the shower" (loving sloping bathroom roofs are one of the things I really don't like about old terraced houses with retrofitted bathrooms and whatever genius last did the bathroom put the shower in the low corner) rather than a circular rotating kitchen and a swimming pool.

It is nice to have something 'for you' in your place of occupancy too, but that doesn't require land ownership or obsessive redesign.

Yeah exactly, just having personal space and facilities which suit you is a far cry from most of the stuff you get on Grand Designs and similar shows.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

RabidWeasel posted:

I think maybe grand designs isn't the programme for you. Like art and design aren't bad.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
One of my friends, who is very lovely but has anxiety issues and is nigh on terminally "apperance based" when it comes to politics, had a wedding that cost £25,000. That is nigh on two years of wages for me. It's incredible how much people spend on it.

The day was lovely but still whooo boy.

Also if I had silly money I would probably build a nice mock up farming village from the Iron Age.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
To be fair my least favourite grand designs are the ones where the guy, it's always a guy, is incredibly keen to tell you how much over budget they've gone.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Julio Cruz posted:

due to past behaviour I'm afraid you've permanently lost your bolognese discussion privileges

What's wrong with my bolognese

Are you sure you're not thinking of my chili con carne which has baked beans in it

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Aidan_702 posted:

Gove brings it up during his Select Committee hearing (also when he emphatically asserts the document is a Worst Case Scenario rather than Base Case which I presume is why it was changed between the leaked copy and the official one)

https://www.parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/2e9c4033-92b3-4edb-b5dd-09f0990e832c from 12:07:00

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

CoolCab posted:

Yeah, it also came up in Feet of Clay in connection with the Dwarf Bread Museum. It's a pretty major part of the plot that it has a bakery oven.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Drone_Fragger posted:

:surprised pikachu face so big it blots out the sun: who would of fuckin guessed the charlatans pushing for leave the hardest are gambling other peoples money on it to their own benefit?

"Big scoop from @Byline_Media" says twitter account @Byline_Media

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Drone_Fragger posted:

Is there any reason no one else has picked this up yet and barely anyone's reacted to that tweet?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I cannot loving WAIT to hear the red flag being sung through the streets.

So now that bojo admitted to lying to the queen when will he be gallowed? Are rotten bananas applicable or is it tomatoes only?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Josef bugman posted:

Also if I had silly money I would probably build a nice mock up farming village from the Iron Age.
That sounds interesting. I think the land would be the biggest cost, depending on how many like-minded primativetech people you could get on side.

Feinne posted:

Yeah, it also came up in Feet of Clay in connection with the Dwarf Bread Museum. It's a pretty major part of the plot that it has a bakery oven.
They also fired a clay man in there, so it's an oven that can get a lot hotter than a modern bakery oven (but not as evenly as a kiln which is why the golem cracks up), which fits in with the description of dwarf bread as more forged than baked.