Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

those mall security robots

A little off-topic, but: the what now? I must be really behind the times if we apparently are at a point where we got security robots now (and also, am I the only one worried by that idea?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Greader posted:

A little off-topic, but: the what now? I must be really behind the times if we apparently are at a point where we got security robots now (and also, am I the only one worried by that idea?).

I’m not sure what exactly you’re picturing, but prepare to be disappointed.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Remember the two goons in a relationship who instead of PMing each other would post in a long dead subforum that was only delisted instead of deactivated so you could use it if you knew the id and put it in the URL bar manually? And then they were caught by a FYAD poster who apparently just checks delisted subforums regularly. Also I think one of them was underage and the other was older so there was a huge creep factor too.

Yeah I remember

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Nuns with Guns posted:

Pyrs are more common and many of their lines have had the crazy protect drive diluted down enough for pet homes. They get brought up as a point of comparison in the original thread as a milder version of a maremma:

Thanks for this. It reinforces what I said about them being good "if you spend the time training them" tho I can see a dog that's even more hardcore than a pyr being a nightmare to get there, since one of the defining characteristics of a pyr is bring chill af.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Honestly most anything you can think of can be kept if you have the time, money, and effort. Thing is, most people lack that for anything besides chill dogs and cats and small herps and poo poo. If you’re willing to turn it into an expensive difficult hobby and not just “a pet :3”you can keep a Burmese python or a small crocodilian but the chances of a rando goon with kids who needs to consult us for the basics being able to do that is minuscule. “Idea a pet forum reality mod kills birds etc”

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
my fantasy pet is a red fox, unfortunately only silver foxes have been domesticated

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ArfJason posted:

my fantasy pet is a red fox, unfortunately only silver foxes have been domesticated
https://www.amazon.com/Rit-Dye-Liquid-Fabric-8-Ounce/dp/B00AQ761Y6

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Come on, red foxes are a real thing, and therefore a pretty lame fantasy. You should be wanting a dragon, a jackalope, or a phoenix or something.

In said fantasy world the forum thread would probably be something like "I found a baby centaur by the side of the road, I know they're sentient beings but can I keep it? It's so cute! By the way I think I ran over its mother"

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

TheDarkFlame posted:

Come on, red foxes are a real thing, and therefore a pretty lame fantasy. You should be wanting a dragon, a jackalope, or a phoenix or something.

In said fantasy world the forum thread would probably be something like "I found a baby centaur by the side of the road, I know they're sentient beings but can I keep it? It's so cute! By the way I think I ran over its mother"

"I'm getting a black dragon"
"No don't, black dragons are bred to guard treasure hoards and they will go crazy and act out without a hoard to nest in"
"I got a black dragon and now he just sleeps on a big pile of my silverware and tries to bite the kids every time they need a spoon"

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

the legal thread doesn't know or didn't care so maybe this one does: can someone please link me to the tree law thread?

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

https://old.reddit.com/r/bestoflegaladvice/

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ArfJason posted:

Red foxes have been domesticated in Russia. Don't know why.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

ArfJason posted:

Red foxes and silver foxes are the same species

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Red foxes and silver foxes are the same species

Like gently caress they are

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jerry Cotton posted:

This is the big one, comrade! I'm coming to join you!

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

the legal thread doesn't know or didn't care so maybe this one does: can someone please link me to the tree law thread?

Might also be referring to this thread?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Jerry Cotton posted:

Literally to study the process of domestication

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Telsa Cola posted:

Literally to study the process of domestication

Well that makes sense!

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Ariong posted:

I’m not sure what exactly you’re picturing, but prepare to be disappointed.

New flavor of lovely robots for 2019: https://mashable.com/article/stop-and-shop-marty-robots/

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I was thinking of an SA thread, although this is fun too

Jaguars! posted:

Might also be referring to this thread?

Maybe, although I haven't seen that thread before. I thought there was a thread specifically about tree law, but maybe not. Thanks though, that looks like fun read.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

That's definitely the thread that's referred to as the tree law thread.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

apparently I don't pay enough attention to SA drama any more, what happened with Bobby Wickham

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

apparently I don't pay enough attention to SA drama any more, what happened with Bobby Wickham

She was a bad mod in general but the tipping point was when she 'glossed over' a guy admitting literal violent child abuse and when she eventually realized it just kinda said "knock that off"

She'd make fun of people for reporting posts so people stopped reporting posts and then whoops there's a thread about child abuse in e/n

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

More or less complicit in the Careful Drums child abuse situation by not reporting it or banning him or taking any kind of action, as far as I know.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Other highlights include following a poster around multiple threads/subforums going HEY COME BACK AND UPDATE YOUR THREAD ABOUT YOUR PERSONAL LIFE, and throwing a temper tantrum/probation spree against people warning new users away from offsite drama/horrible poo poo.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
She also said it was verboten for LGBT goons to warn other users of someone who was highly predatory on Discord and other chat services because it was "offsite" drama. Unfortunately several other mods backed this up, despite it being an obviously stupid position.

E: beaten by seconds

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Hahaha loving WHAT.

"Woah be careful this guy is a molester!"

Get probed for off-site drama. Jesus lmao, did mods actually back this? If so, gently caress all moderators / admins.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Did you think that the mods didn't know?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I have no idea what reminded me of this recently but who was the guy who asked what would happen if he "hypothetically" exhaled weed smoke into his baby's face?

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Guess where this lollipop's going?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The E/N subforum is an absolute shithole that attracts (or possibly spontaneously generates, more research needed here) self-pitying assholes to shore each other up and cheer on maladaptive, abusive and sometimes criminal impulses, at the expense of anyone without a registered SA forums account.

And the saga continues:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3899472&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post498538855

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Who What Now posted:

She also said it was verboten for LGBT goons to warn other users of someone who was highly predatory on Discord and other chat services because it was "offsite" drama. Unfortunately several other mods backed this up, despite it being an obviously stupid position.

E: beaten by seconds

What the gently caress.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

quote:

There’s no irrefutable evidence, but a lot of hints in things that she’s said.

Either way, it doesn’t exactly matter. She’s decided to keep it and I can only send miscarriage vibes out into the universe so hard. Working on being less bitter might be my only option.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

It still took an admin stepping in to take this guy out. Holy gently caress.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

:stare:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Lacey posted:

The E/N subforum is an absolute shithole that attracts (or possibly spontaneously generates, more research needed here) self-pitying assholes to shore each other up and cheer on maladaptive, abusive and sometimes criminal impulses, at the expense of anyone without a registered SA forums account.

And the saga continues:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3899472&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post498538855

Uhhhh wow

Too bad no one tried to poison that guy as a fetus.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

bradzilla posted:

It still took an admin stepping in to take this guy out. Holy gently caress.

The mods and admins are all just acting like they didn’t see the thread and complaining that they can’t be expected to read every thread and need people to make reports, while conspicuously ignoring everyone pointing out that other people in the thread were probated for making fun of that guy pretty much instantly.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

The mods and admins are all just acting like they didn’t see the thread and complaining that they can’t be expected to read every thread and need people to make reports, while conspicuously ignoring everyone pointing out that other people in the thread were probated for making fun of that guy pretty much instantly.

E/N gets like 3 posts a day you wouldn't think it'd be such a challenge to rein it in.

To be completely fair though 6 hour probes take effect immediately and don't need approval from an admin the way bans do so that's obviously going to result in minor infractions getting punished much faster than serious stuff.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

What the gently caress.

This is why the fabgoons thread got recreated in a different subforum. BW threw a total shitfit and probated like a dozen people for posting warnings that the discord links SCB was posting in the thread were links to his bestiality rape dungeon discord and not the official fabgoons discord. She also took some time between handing out probes to yell about how moderating discord -- someone literally no-one was asking her to do, ever -- is not her job and people should stop asking her to do it.

IIRC FAU did some drive-by shitposting in there as well.

I'm genuinely surprised that BW got banned for enabling a child abuser, because after that I assumed she had some kind of blackmail material on the admins and was thus forever immune to consequences.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

ToxicFrog posted:

I'm genuinely surprised that BW got banned for enabling a child abuser, because after that I assumed she had some kind of blackmail material on the admins and was thus forever immune to consequences.

Somehow in telling The Bobbie Wickham Story you still managed to sound crazier and worse than she does.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

It was honestly something that crossed my mind too lol. The thing that actually took her down was like the third or fourth fuckup of hers that would have gotten anyone else demodded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

IIRC FAU did some drive-by shitposting in there as well.
I hundo p hosed that one up, as I said in QCS. I just saw "off-site discord drama" and had a knee-jerk reaction. I reversed it pretty quick but the damage was done.