Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Azza Bamboo posted:

Just keep one thing in mind when building your home: The ladies.
You mean the females :females:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

PRADA SLUT, et minimalist al avert thine eyes. This poo poo is gaudy as gently caress, and I apology for the enormous photoset posting. This thread must see this. Deer god.

$227,900/9 br/6000 sq ft

Scranton, PA

built in 1920

From here: https://thehousehuntingblog.com/post/187631642153/2279009-br6000-sq-ft-scranton-pa-built-in

Tag yourselves? I think I'm the corner sink. I thought I was the mini pulpit in the bedroom with no bed but that pink canopy, but I believe that's a radiator covering? I don't know. I'm still reeling a bit.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I'm the fold-up metal chairs in the dining room.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm the statue poised murderously over the bathtub.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m the spinet piano.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I'm the miniature Vatican.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Drone posted:

I'm the fold-up metal chairs in the dining room.

Dammit! I guess I'll go with the neoclassical couple poised to watch your death when you slip in the shower and bash your head open on their shelf.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

there wolf posted:

Dammit! I guess I'll go with the neoclassical couple poised to watch your death when you slip in the shower and bash your head open on their shelf.

Ahem.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm the statue poised murderously over the bathtub.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

value-brand cereal posted:

This makes me wonder what would be the worse and most dangerous thing to put on your ceiling. Hay is flammable but would burn quickly. Candy like hard peppermints wouldn't exactly burn, but if it gets hot enough you'll have hot sugar dripping on you. Though if you're still inside a burning building at that point, that's probably the least worrying thing to deal with.
yes I always wanted something natural for the ceiling, something that felt alive, and it suddenly hit me: ants

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

6000sq ft ? Perfect for a childless couple. Not sure where Scranton is but it sounds bad.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Don't apologize when you know you're right.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

That's what happens when you take a few minutes to try and figure out what the statue is a replica of so you know exactly who the blood sacrifice is for.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

None of you know the pain of living in Scranton though.

(Grew up in Wilkes barre)

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

PRADA SLUT, et minimalist al avert thine eyes. This poo poo is gaudy as gently caress, and I apology for the enormous photoset posting. This thread must see this. Deer god.

$227,900/9 br/6000 sq ft

Scranton, PA

built in 1920

From here: https://thehousehuntingblog.com/post/187631642153/2279009-br6000-sq-ft-scranton-pa-built-in

Tag yourselves? I think I'm the corner sink. I thought I was the mini pulpit in the bedroom with no bed but that pink canopy, but I believe that's a radiator covering? I don't know. I'm still reeling a bit.

Would the gently caress out of that place.

227,000? really?
I paid just a bit less than that for a poverty spec ~500 sqft one bedroom condo.

Are there some major structural deficiencies in that place? Or is it Scranton thats the problem?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

wesleywillis posted:

227,000? really?
I paid just a bit less than that for a poverty spec ~500 sqft one bedroom condo.

Are there some major structural deficiencies in that place? Or is it Scranton thats the problem?
Scranton is over a hundred miles from the two nearest large cities, so I figure that's the big thing.

Tehdas
Dec 30, 2012
Coming from Australia nearly all these houses look crazy cheap.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

$227,900/9 br/6000 sq ft

Scranton, PA

built in 1920

Someone tweet this to Taika Watiti STAT

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Tehdas posted:

Coming from Australia nearly all these houses look crazy cheap.

Are you factoring in the conversion rate, or forgetting they're in the Bumfuck province of Nowhere?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

$227,900/9 br/6000 sq ft

Scranton, PA

built in 1920

I love it. I think my mom would die for this house.

Too bad it would be impossible to find suitable furniture.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Fixed this room :effort:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

wesleywillis posted:

227,000? really?

My 2 minute Zillow search turned up homes of similar size ranging in price from $29k to almost $600k so I don't think location is the only reason for the low price here. Would guess a combination of location, overall condition, and 99% of potential buyers not wanting all that poo poo in their home.

Edit: It does have a pending offer tho :shrug: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1005-Vine-St-Scranton-PA-18510/9571464_zpid/

Edit 2: It's got a combination of steam heat and electric heat, and one room has a lovely portable air conditioning unit sitting in it. I bet the monthly utilities bill is astronomical.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Sep 11, 2019

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Youth Decay posted:

I'm gonna interrupt Groverroom chat to ask what kind of countertop this is? It looks cool as hell

Kitchen...rug? At least you could replace it if you dumped a pot of chili on it, unlike kitchen carpet.

I am currently very into worn old oriental rugs. I got a little one, 4x6 maybe, at the Goodwill bins for $5. It was covered in dog hair but surprisingly did not have any stains or smell like urine.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Is that a harpsichord

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Kitchen...rug? At least you could replace it if you dumped a pot of chili on it, unlike kitchen carpet.

I am currently very into worn old oriental rugs. I got a little one, 4x6 maybe, at the Goodwill bins for $5. It was covered in dog hair but surprisingly did not have any stains or smell like urine.

There are some surprisingly decent looking polypropylene rugs - you can vacuum and spot clean, but if you dump the pot of chili you take it outdoors, add a bit of dishwashing liquid, and turn the garden hose on it.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Is that a harpsichord

I think it's a square grand piano

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes
I just drove through Scranton 3 weeks ago on a trip back home to Ohio to get help with car repairs. It's the kind of place that you cold sweat over the possibility of your car breaking down in.

Edit: I may have gotten routed around the center of town; regardless, the immediate suburbs are a discouraging place.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Is that a harpsichord

Would buy the house just to record the video for a suburban cover of 'The Perfect Drug'.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

TofuDiva posted:

I thought it was a virginal :quagmire:

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Sirotan posted:

My 2 minute Zillow search turned up homes of similar size ranging in price from $29k to almost $600k so I don't think location is the only reason for the low price here. Would guess a combination of location, overall condition, and 99% of potential buyers not wanting all that poo poo in their home.

Edit: It does have a pending offer tho :shrug: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1005-Vine-St-Scranton-PA-18510/9571464_zpid/

Edit 2: It's got a combination of steam heat and electric heat, and one room has a lovely portable air conditioning unit sitting in it. I bet the monthly utilities bill is astronomical.

I'd be willing to bet that the realtor in charge of the listing got way more curiosity calls wanting the backstory than anything else, and that he was really glad to get that property to pending status.

Pretty much the only thing that the listing blurb divulges about the house's history is that the original owner was a real estate guy!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

knox_harrington posted:

6000sq ft ? Perfect for a childless couple.

Ah you're reading the home DIY thread too?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Nessus posted:

Scranton is over a hundred miles from the two nearest large cities, so I figure that's the big thing.

Scranton was an important city during Pennsylvania's coal boom. As a result, it is full of really nice buildings, built to last by miners and industrialists when they both had huge piles of money. Now the entire region has no industry and no real reason to exist, but all of the government buildings are well made, and the city and surrounding towns have preschools and social services run out of edifices with eight inch thick stone walls. Even the old houses are nice old houses, and are generally occupied by retirees who don't mind the total lack of culture there. Because the people who lived there invested their wealth in infrastructure, the region largely survived the transition away from coal--even if there's not much to do there.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

That's still an absurdly cheap price, <$40 per sq ft? like cheaper than a mobile home. That's 1970s price for a tract home. Scrantelous!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Is that a harpsichord

That was my thinking too.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

nice I always wanted a erect wall cock

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

nice I always wanted a erect wall cock

Ah, excellent choice! Historically, that's an old marital aid. Couples would rub the scrotum for good luck in producing heirs before retiring to bed. You'll note the gilding has fully worn away, exposing the white stone beneath it.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

TofuDiva posted:

Yeah, it's a square grand piano.

My wife's family has one, and I looked into getting it tuned at one point, and most tuners won't touch them. There are a few specialized places that do work on them, but it's not cheap. They're all 100+ years old at this point and there's quite a lot that needs replacing if you want to get an old one into playable condition.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Is that a harpsichord

Growing up, I had a neighbor who had a harpsichord. I wasn't supposed to touch it but I did anyway.

This same neighbor had a kiln installed in the basement to fire ceramics.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm the realtor not even bothering to move the bags of garbage out of frame while taking photos

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

My parents have a square grand that dates back to the 1880s. If I remember correctly it's difficult to find someone to tune one, namely because few tuners have even seen one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I found this home: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1141-Stuart-Rd-Princeton-NJ-08540/39009741_zpid/

I actually think it looks kind of neat.

They've kind of got this angle aesthetic going.

They really like that angle thing.

They also like the siding indoors thing.

More angles. Also sunken tub for the :females: I think they somehow did it without compromising the joists though.

EVERYTHING MUST BE ANGLED. :females:

This photo was near the end, instead of with the other kitchen photos. The stained glass chicken stands out in this house.