Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
unfortunately the problem with the lack of closure is the nature of the industry and especially its journalism. there will be stories made up to collect attention for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Dave said in the newsletter that not only is no one talking in public about it, but no one is talking about it in private either. The result is he's in the dark too.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

As someone who doesn't know a drat thing about this person or AEW, I'm so far beyond lost it's ridiculous.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, back to just posting Stupid Wrestling Fan Opinions please. That's enough of this derail.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I mean it's pretty obvious that she is solving some type of mystery with a talking animal, possibly an owl or some type of parrot, in an exotic location and just does not have the time to spare on pro wrestling anymore.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

- WWE is just
- Baron Corbin is hot and sexy
- Seth Rollins has a big pegger
- Hulk Hogan is good
- Bret Hart was lucky to get forcefully retired when he did
- Eddie Guerrero saw Benoit feuding with Orlando Jordan and otherwise being a jobber after being the top champion just a year earlier, realized that was going to happen to him very soon as well, and did what he felt was right
- WALTER and Dijak are both Nazis
- Chris Jericho and M. Shadows got an identical tattoo because they are both in the same sex cult that recruits children
- Edge is a worse person with lower morals and a bigger ego than Corey Graves

i been workin on the railroad

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i found those online but not here. Don't look for it

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

WatermelonGun posted:

rowdy ringsports is a bum

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i read something in my above post that could be misinterpreted in a way that i wouldn't like. "the same sex cult" refers to the two men both being in a cult together. "same sex" is not meant to be read together as a term, but rather "the same" is meant to be read separately from "sex cult", indicating that they are both in one cult. i don't use the word sex for anything other than sexual intercourse

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I used to be "all in" on Jericho, but if he's starting same sex cults, that's problematic for my social media brand.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Graves retweeted some dude calling him a bad announcer.

https://twitter.com/ostinettliz85/status/1171648420714561537?s=20

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

a legendary dipshit

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
It's hard for me to tell if Corey Graves is good. I mean he's annoying as hell but I think he's supposed to be? I'm not sure.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

it's low hanging fruit to be like "person on wwe tv is bad at commentary." he finished 2nd in 2015, 2016 and 2017's observer awards voting for best tv announcer before (shock!) being voted 4th worst in 2018.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Heenan was one of the smartest funniest dudes ever in the business. All the things that came out of Heenan's mouth were Heenan's.

Lawler was a great foil to JR's straight man. Peak banter. Also another guy that was unscripted.

Corey Graves is none of those things. He's brainmushed, overscripted and no discernible personality besides Has Tattoos.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Remember when they made and or allowed corey graves attend bronycon

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that Corey Graves has been drilling assholes in his kids' stuffed animals.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that Corey Graves has been drilling assholes in his kids' stuffed animals.

Well he’s already drilling his daughter’s favorite wrestler soooo

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

coconono posted:

Well he’s already drilling his daughter’s favorite wrestler soooo

have you no decency

Only registered members can see post attachments!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

projecthalaxy posted:

have you no decency

I really don't.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Corey also doesn't seem to understand just how far to take his heel persona, if that indeed is what he's doing on Twitter like he claims and not just being an incredible rear end in a top hat. Something tells me that, if social media were around in the 80s and 90s, Bobby Heenan wouldn't be telling depressed people that they're weak and worthless for contemplating suicide.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

At some point he started living the gimmick and he sucks for it.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

So was it Vince who ruined Graves on commentary like he does to everyone else or what? I remember really liking him as a commentator on NXT.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Was he any good as an actual wrestler? I got into wrestling like, a month before he had to hang up the boots, so I have no idea how he was to watch, only that I hated hearing him on commentary being creepy about... I think it was Mandy Rose?

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Two years ago this forum was professing their love for Corey Graves and calling him the best announcer on TV going.

A year before that it was Mauro.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

super macho dude posted:

Two years ago this forum was professing their love for Corey Graves and calling him the best announcer on TV going.

see, the MMA threads were ahead of the curve on hating Mauro for years

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

super macho dude posted:

Corey Graves has explicitly got worse in that time. He's gone from being a heel cheerleader to being constantly antagonistic and a constant stream of repetitive catchphrases. He's also ramped up the weirdness to certain women wrestlers and also turned out to be a right chode on Twitter. At the same time more of us have been exposed to Kevin Kelly and friends's amiable chemistry on NJPW and Excalibur has set a great example of how modern commentary should work on AEW. All in all it's not unjustified.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ShootaBoy posted:

Was he any good as an actual wrestler? I got into wrestling like, a month before he had to hang up the boots, so I have no idea how he was to watch, only that I hated hearing him on commentary being creepy about... I think it was Mandy Rose?

He was very much average on his best day and mediocre on his normal day. Sterling James Keenan/Corey Graves was very much a forgettable wrestler.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Graves was basically a store-brand CM Punk, I believe that was even the consensus when he was on the indies. His brother is seemingly the more talented worker of the two, albeit he also only got over by doing an 'edgy' heel gimmick in Mexico

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

One week ago, this forum showed images of Alex Marvez's goat up close and said that he was the super sexy bohemian deviant.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Ganso Bomb posted:

So was it Vince who ruined Graves on commentary like he does to everyone else or what? I remember really liking him as a commentator on NXT.

like I said he was voted #2 announcer three years in a row before moving up. he was in most places good graces, and as happens with literally everyone, sucks rear end on wwe tv. Vince runs nearly everything.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Rarity posted:

Corey Graves has explicitly got worse in that time. He's gone from being a heel cheerleader to being constantly antagonistic and a constant stream of repetitive catchphrases. He's also ramped up the weirdness to certain women wrestlers and also turned out to be a right chode on Twitter. At the same time more of us have been exposed to Kevin Kelly and friends's amiable chemistry on NJPW and Excalibur has set a great example of how modern commentary should work on AEW. All in all it's not unjustified.

It's all of this and we went from 'Corey Graves is the fresh new Raw announcer' to 'Corey Graves is inexplicably announcing 5 to 10 hours of mainline WWE programming every single week', so it would be hard to not notice new problems and have them impossibly magnified.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Mauro was great before he went to NXT and, like NXT, became indulgent to the point of self-parody.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
On gimmicks in pro wrestling:

quote:

True enough, horrible cheesy gimmicks have been around forever. However, if your going to have one of these goofy cos-play gimmicks, your only going to go so far.

Of course, they made a dancing clown unicorn WWE Champion, so maybe this cos-play poo poo is what the crowds want nowadays.

All I know is if I see some corny gimmicks like Kairi dresses as a pirate, or the New Day with unicorn headbands, or Fandango as a male ballerina, or some other cartoonish poo poo, I’m changing the channel.

And before anyone thinks he's a fan of NJPW or AEW, you are mistaken. He hates it because "its full of dudes who can only get over through flippy spots".

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Chances of them not watching other wrestling because 'they don't have CHARACTERS'?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I always love that “you go can only go so far with a crazy gimmick” logic because two of the most pushed WWE wrestlers of all time are an undead funeral parlor worker and his brother, demon.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Blast Fantasto posted:

I always love that “you go can only go so far with a crazy gimmick” logic because two of the most pushed WWE wrestlers of all time are an undead funeral parlor worker and his brother, demon.

Well that's a 50% success rate

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

I Before E posted:

Well that's a 50% success rate

please respect the millionaire ruler of knox county, tennessee

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Dusty Rhodes pretended to be a black cowboy for two decades so I don’t wanna hear about gimmicky wrestlers not having legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

coconono posted:

Dusty Rhodes pretended to be a black cowboy for two decades so I don’t wanna hear about gimmicky wrestlers not having legs.

did they sign that guy with no legs to a contract

edit: i thought this was the AEW thread, sorry