Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

SirPhoebos posted:

Would New York be a good place to learn playing a Merchant Republic for the first time?

EDIT: I'm still very much in the trying stuff out phase.

Definitely, they're also surrounded by heretics you can holy war so you aren't as confined by your available CBs as merchant republics can sometimes be. The MR of Chesapeake is good for swearing fealty to the HCC and expanding aggressively along the entire northern frontier, too, if you want a vassal MR game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

ck2 wiki entry on after the end posted:

Norse: A revival of the old Norse ways centered around Minnesota and Wisconsin that believes that the Christian god failed Old America and the their old gods can protect them where their Christian god could not.

Okay but this is me as of 2016 too.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
by 2030 we'll all be atomicists

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

My last big ATE game I conquered pretty much everything from the southern border of Maine to the northern border of Maryland as an anabaptist (which disappointingly had no real extra flavor), but going north was hard because the Occultists had rapidly united into a big ol' blob that was hard to penetrate between terrain and defensive pagans. Going south, the CSA took too big of a foothold to challenge, and going west, the Great Lakes had united under the vikings and took over Ohio.

I was also being swarmed by raiders between Vikings from out west, Pirates coming all the way up from the Caribbean, and a couple weird unaffiliated raiders I couldn't really identify. But what really killed me is some weird crash to desktop bug.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Occultists seem to blob a lot and I’m not sure why - I’ve seen it happen a bunch of times playing Quebec games and they’re just a priority target for me now if I’m anywhere in the northeast. In one game I noticed them launching a ton or prepared invasions, like to the point where I’d defeat one and immediately get another declared on me. I don’t think I’ve ever seen the AI use it that much in the base game.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Occultists seem to blob a lot and I’m not sure why - I’ve seen it happen a bunch of times playing Quebec games and they’re just a priority target for me now if I’m anywhere in the northeast. In one game I noticed them launching a ton or prepared invasions, like to the point where I’d defeat one and immediately get another declared on me. I don’t think I’ve ever seen the AI use it that much in the base game.

they're all feudal/tribal gavelkind pagans so they get access to the "become king of wherever" ambition which gives unlimited, free subjugation CB against everyone else in the kingdom. plus it's super easy to gobble up a bunch of one province tribals since it's fast to siege and easy to assault, and you only have to take a single holding. so it's like declare war, move in your stack, crush the other stack, take one holding, 100% warscore. if you move very quickly you can form the kingdom in a decade

once whoever becomes the biggest fish crowns themselves, quebec is the closest target for invasions because the duchies of quebec are usually closer in strength parity to snipe compared to the kingdoms of maritimes or hudsonia

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There was almost a strobe effect from all the tribals conquering eachother. I think the fact that After The End gives everyone access to all CBs may cause problems as well.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I'm getting back into CK2 after a long time away. Are there any good or interesting Greek starts? I have Old Gods, do not have Charlemagne.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

pospysyl posted:

I'm getting back into CK2 after a long time away. Are there any good or interesting Greek starts? I have Old Gods, do not have Charlemagne.

Byzantines

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

pospysyl posted:

Independent Naples in Old Gods and 1066

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Independent Naples in Old Gods and 1066

Isn't Amalfi also Greek?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Technowolf posted:

Isn't Amalfi also Greek?

Some of the patrician families, yes. There’s also an interesting semi-Greek start in Iron Century, Count Charles-Constantine of Vienne. He’s the son of a Byzantine princess and a deposed King of Italy, and starts as a vassal of Burgundy

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

ok should my iron century game be:

1. Armenians. I’ve done this before but not in iron century. Ideally I can find the guys with Parthian blood in this time but probably not.

2. Carantanians: make a Slavic state and maybe join the hre. would be dedicated to the destruction of the byzantines in a way the other two would not.

3. Crimean Goths: try to survive the nomad thunder dome, Crimea is a really good duchy if you can.

Leaning toward the goths but I haven’t mucked around in the Balkans much and I don’t think I’ve ever messed with the southern slavs at all

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Regarding Nomad Clans: is there any reason why I shouldn't be working towards having only my clan?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

If I have hundreds of hours on my 3.1 version, but I also want to eventually play the new After the End version on 3.2, do I just finish all my old campaigns first?

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

SirPhoebos posted:

Regarding Nomad Clans: is there any reason why I shouldn't be working towards having only my clan?

You’ll get really annoying minor clan uprisings if you don’t have at least one other clan with enough land. If you’re going to be nomadic long-term, having a bunch of relatively happy weak clans doesn’t hurt you much.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

SirPhoebos posted:

You're forced to have several clans by minor clan uprisings, I think 3 is the minimum as long as you have enough land in the horde. Also clans will want 2/3 of the land to be distributed between them, so you probably want 4 or 5 clans in the horde to make them small enough you can crush them individually once they get uppity. Also remember they count by county number but counties are not of equal value for nomads, the ones with more building slots are far better, so keep the ones with more than 3/4 to yourself and dump the bad ones to clans. Absorb the other clans before turning tribal and push the button before uprising starts to avoid splintering the realm.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Sep 11, 2019

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

If Byzantium had actually had an empress this cool we'd all be speaking Greek.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Thanks.

Still looking for tips on spreading secret societies, especially who to target for recruitment.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

If Byzantium had actually had an empress this cool we'd all be speaking Greek.

Female Justinian?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

DarkCrawler posted:

Female Justinian?
So, Justinian's empress Theodora?

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

SirPhoebos posted:

Thanks.

Still looking for tips on spreading secret societies, especially who to target for recruitment.

For a religious cult, immediately ignore Zealous characters - it won't work on them. iirc trusting characters will be slightly easier to bring over.

Target high-diplomacy characters first, so they can spread it themselves. It'll be harder targeting rulers - it becomes harder the higher ranked they are - so aim for non-landed to begin with.

Generally you can match the story choices to their education/best skill.

More info here.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
What are my options for taking counties from the Papal States without getting excommunicated? Are there any? I want the modern world holdings of Italy (except Rome and that other one that the pope starts with), but they have sucked up a sizable chunk of it.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

The Narrator posted:

For a religious cult, immediately ignore Zealous characters - it won't work on them. iirc trusting characters will be slightly easier to bring over.

Target high-diplomacy characters first, so they can spread it themselves. It'll be harder targeting rulers - it becomes harder the higher ranked they are - so aim for non-landed to begin with.

Generally you can match the story choices to their education/best skill.

More info here.

It's also worth noting that it's more expensive to try and convince somebody that's landed vs some random courtier. Also people will generally try to induct their kids and every member tries to convert people. So there's something to be said for even trying to convert other lords' courtiers and trying to get them married or something. Basically throw out as many threads as you can and people you do manage to bring in will try to convert others.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Dongattack posted:

What are my options for taking counties from the Papal States without getting excommunicated? Are there any? I want the modern world holdings of Italy (except Rome and that other one that the pope starts with), but they have sucked up a sizable chunk of it.

Without having him as your vassal, or just outright being of a different religion, he's not going to let you have them without being hassled for it.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I did the 769 start as Ragnar’s dad. I have enough provinces to be the emperor of Scandinavia, but I am about 300 gold short in financing creating the title. I am in my late 50s so I’m not sure how much time I have left before gavelkind breaks me. Should I not worry about it and put everything back together with Ragnar or is there a fast way to get the gold? I have reformed the religion if that matters And I have 12 boats from shipbuilding 1.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Lots and lots of raiding and ransoming of any and all captives. Although, with just 12 boats, you're not exactly invading Paris any time soon…

e: Or maybe this old thing, if circumstances allow it and it hasn't been patched out…

Tippis fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 11, 2019

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Tippis posted:

Without having him as your vassal, or just outright being of a different religion, he's not going to let you have them without being hassled for it.

You can have the Pope as a vassal? Did not know that.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Dongattack posted:

You can have the Pope as a vassal? Did not know that.

Yes, but it's a huge faff to make it happen. You have to be an emperor (since the Pope is a king-tier title); you have to install an anti-pope (this will probably get you excommunicated); and then you need to push the claim for the papacy that the anti-pope automatically gets, which means you have to defeat the papacy and all its allies.

It has huge benefits, but also requires a ton of fairly risky (or expensive) set-up.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Also you can't get excommunicated if you have your own antipope, so you can just make one even if you're a king and then take whatever Papal lands you want.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I'm about to do it for the first time ever in my empire of Arles game. As soon as I declared my antipope, the empire of Bulgaria declared on me on behalf of the pope. This was a couple days ago and I haven't touched it since, because i know it's gonna be a slog. Especially because I did it right after jumping into a new character that was in the middle of an invasion of Lotharingia. This game was also the first time getting the Alexander bloodline though too, which was fun. I'm glad I had the 10k+ prestige to sacrifice for it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

KDdidit posted:

I did the 769 start as Ragnar’s dad. I have enough provinces to be the emperor of Scandinavia, but I am about 300 gold short in financing creating the title. I am in my late 50s so I’m not sure how much time I have left before gavelkind breaks me. Should I not worry about it and put everything back together with Ragnar or is there a fast way to get the gold? I have reformed the religion if that matters And I have 12 boats from shipbuilding 1.
Just command 'cash 300' what are you waiting for

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

KDdidit posted:

You probably won't be able to siege down holdings, but remember that parking raiders on a province lets you suck up "unprotected loot" slowly. The amount of loot can be checked by selecting a province and checking the tooltip of the bar below provinces income or fort level. Also the AI will never raise levies in a province with hostiles in it, do target realms with only 1 or 2 counties to hoover up change. Lots of small coastal realms in England, islands in the Mediterranean, and Venice could be a good target if they have no troops or retinues raised. A few years of this should get you the gold you need.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

KDdidit posted:

It's risky but you can always take a trip down to the Mediterranean and raid merchant republics or Rome or whatever. They're drowning in cash so your haul will be solid, should be able to get the full 120 each time you do it, but it's a long enough boat ride that you could possibly die before you get your third raid done.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
With 12 boats raiding's gonna be slow and painful, and that's like 1 shipyard. Sigurdr should have more coastal counties than that.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

With 12 boats raiding's gonna be slow and painful, and that's like 1 shipyard. Sigurdr should have more coastal counties than that.

I assume this is before the Viking age

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I assume this is before the Viking age

Viking age fires in 793, so if Sigurdr is in his late fifties, it's got to be getting close.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

GHOST_BUTT posted:

Viking age fires in 793, so if Sigurdr is in his late fifties, it's got to be getting close.

I've had it fire as late as 800, but Sigurdr is a hearty fellow and should easily live to his mid 60s, barring any terrible dice rolls. Remember to take a focus that grants +1 health, if you have Way of Life. Hunting is probably the best in this case.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Honestly, even if you don't get it, tribal gavelkind makes it pretty easy to re-unify. You get strong claims on everyone who splits away, and you can even duel them over strong claims, allowing you to take entire kingdoms without even declaring war. Which will probably be to your advantage, since tribal elective tends to favor badass warriors, so your next guy will probably be able to take at least some of the other heirs in a fight

I just hope you have defensive pacts turned off cause they're really busted and unbalanced for tribal play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I totally turned defensive pacts off. Did 3 runs with it in other starts and it wasn't for me. I could live with the <50 pacts, but the >50 ones didn't seem to make sense. Any way I got Scandinavia with about a year to spare, had to rush back after pillaging and win a holy was because i forgot i lost a bunch of piety reforming the religion. The council thing is annoying, why they don't want me to take an opm in dejure Scandinavia is a mystery, but whatever. When do people go feudal as Vikings? Still haven't kicked off the Viking age yet.