Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

The 2003 he-man series had Skeletor rip off his own face after acid fell on it tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I'm sure there had to be kids somewhere that were afraid of Zedd. But it's like you guys said for as cool as his design was he spends the vast majority of his screentime making empty threats and only gets into one fight that he runs away from when his staff breaks?

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

JT Smiley posted:

I'm sure there had to be kids somewhere that were afraid of Zedd. But it's like you guys said for as cool as his design was he spends the vast majority of his screentime making empty threats and only gets into one fight that he runs away from when his staff breaks?

Zedd was initially scary to 7-year old me, upon his introduction in the second season three-part opener. Seems like they deliberately toned him down shortly after that, though.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What's funny about Lord Zedd

The goofier he got, the more competent he became. Season 3 was basically Lord Zedd Wins over and over again, with the only set back being because Master Vile hosed up

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

And after running away from Mondo initially he repeatedly owned the Machine Empire

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Owned the Machine Empire while on a camping trip with his wife, no less.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also for all of the bad things from Ninja Steel

That crossover episode was pretty good on the whole. The Tommy stuff felt earned, other Rangers got to actually do poo poo, and the Master Morpher concept is loving brilliant.

It's such a great idea I hope it some how carries forward in the franchise.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Burkion posted:

Also for all of the bad things from Ninja Steel

That crossover episode was pretty good on the whole. The Tommy stuff felt earned, other Rangers got to actually do poo poo, and the Master Morpher concept is loving brilliant.

It's such a great idea I hope it some how carries forward in the franchise.

There's no way it won't. Tommy will keep reappearing as much as they can get JDF because he's the Power Ranger and JDF is never going to say no. Plus, the Master Morpher has become a part of Tommy's cross-media character, not only did it appear in that special, it also appeared in the comic about him as an old man.

We're going to get Master Morpher Tommy forevermore and I cannot complain.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

I wish someone would explain wtf is that master morpher.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Siegkrow posted:

Just a macguffin that lets a ranger with multiple connections to the Morphin Grid utilize all those powers at will. Really not that unusual of an idea given there's probably at least a dozen technological geniuses across every team, most of which existed in the same dimension to begin with.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Siegkrow posted:

Dr. Tommy Oliver woke up one day and thought "Ya know... I've been 'irrevocably shut off' from the Morphin Grid like... 8?...9? times now? And not only can I find powers like Pez-- I mean, I loving MADE my own DinoGems at one point-- but other teams keep popping up"

Cuz SIK-HIYaaa montage where Tommy roundhouse kicks his old morphers FOR SCIENCE

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

FilthyImp posted:

Dr. Tommy Oliver woke up one day and thought "Ya know... I've been 'irrevocably shut off' from the Morphin Grid like... 8?...9? times now? And not only can I find powers like Pez-- I mean, I loving MADE my own DinoGems at one point-- but other teams keep popping up"

Cuz SIK-HIYaaa montage where Tommy roundhouse kicks his old morphers FOR SCIENCE

New Canon right here.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The real reason is Hayley made it for him.

On a weekend.

While simultaneously working on four other projects.

Tommy is a terrible scientist.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
To be fair he's a paleontologist in name only.

"Dragons aren't even real dinosaurs!"

"You wanna tell that to the Dragonzord?"

"...here's your degree."

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Haley: The Dragozord is obviously a Tapejara.
Tommy: Oh yeah, which of us has a degree?
Haley: Both of us. I have five.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Well that neatly solves the problem of there not being enough years between the halfway part of Turbo and a year or two? before Dino Thunder for Tommy to have gotten a PhD.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Turns out it's an honorary degree from UC-AG and he just didn't pick up on that part.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Billy made the master morpher with his best friend forever the Bookalah

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The thing about Zedd is his loving music, which is one of the better imitations of the Imperial March.

He directly threatens the rangers only like twice and shows up at battles less than Rita did so... ?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
To be fair, the entire scene where he enters the Command Center is pure gold. Both for managing to carry his menace LATE in season 3, and also for showing his sillier side with his interaction with Alpha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzP-Rfthhno

This is a great reminder of just how good a villain Zedd was. If the show had a better budget, or was just in a better place, he would have had a Hell of a final battle with the Rangers. That's the one sore spot- he never gets to have a final stand like other villains do.

But it kind of fits with him being the last of the Skeletor/Mummra/Megatron types. (Though Megs kinda got a final stand in the movie I guess)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Divatox had a final stand and basically won. She's so underrated

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Burkion posted:

To be fair, the entire scene where he enters the Command Center is pure gold. Both for managing to carry his menace LATE in season 3, and also for showing his sillier side with his interaction with Alpha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzP-Rfthhno

This is a great reminder of just how good a villain Zedd was. If the show had a better budget, or was just in a better place, he would have had a Hell of a final battle with the Rangers. That's the one sore spot- he never gets to have a final stand like other villains do.

Zedd bringing his throne to the Commander Center like a total baller is awesome.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
If Zedd had grown giant and ripped the og megazord apart with his bare hands, we all woulda pisses ourselves. But yeah, he just doesnt do enough directly to the rangers to spook kiddos.

The comics are touching on how hosed his psychological tactics are tho

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

If Zedd had grown giant and ripped the og megazord apart with his bare hands, we all woulda pisses ourselves. But yeah, he just doesnt do enough directly to the rangers to spook kiddos.

The comics are touching on how hosed his psychological tactics are tho

That's one thing that stuck out to me rewatching Season 2 and 3

Fucker is all about divide and conquer. He doesn't hold back when it comes to loving with the Rangers

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Oh God it is the first loving time I've heard the English voice of Zedd.
How was anyone ever scared of this? It sounds like my grampa with a throat infection. In the latin Spanish dub he got a deep (if distorted) voice.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Burkion posted:

That's one thing that stuck out to me rewatching Season 2 and 3

Fucker is all about divide and conquer. He doesn't hold back when it comes to loving with the Rangers

Not to mention how he can freely and with minimal effort bring old monsters back from the dead, often multiple ones at once, they're lucky he never did more than like 5 at once

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zedd probably has the best track record of any Power Rangers. Both MMPR and Zero technically end with him winning, with a little help from Rita he destroyed both sets of power coins, took down the Machine Empire, and at the end of Space basically gets spared by Zordon and gets to live out the rest of his days as a human. So yeah, I’d say he kind of came out on top all things considered.

Also to be honest I kind of like goofy sitcom dad Zedd more than dark and menacing Zedd all things considered.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Hell In Space ends with him winning too

Rita's hot, he's young, let's party

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Burkion posted:

Hell In Space ends with him winning too

Rita's hot, he's young, let's party

And if you wanna get nasty, he double wins because his balls survive the Z-Wave and he gets to make an evil son.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Honestly it could be argued that Zedd got a lot more competent once Rita came back. Before, all he had going for him was crippling the Dino Zords and getting rid of the Green Ranger but afterwards he actually started winning a lot more decisive victories (especially in Season 3). So yeah, all things considered Zedd is probably the most successful villain in all of Power Rangers (if not Toku in general).

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

And if you wanna get nasty, he double wins because his balls survive the Z-Wave and he gets to make an evil son.

I’m assuming Thrax was likely conceived sometime before In Space, it’d make more sense that way.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 13, 2019

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

I’m assuming Thrax was likely conceived sometime before In Space, it’d make more sense that way.
Rita was awful handsy with Zedd's python

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Larryb posted:

I like my evil balls theory better. Plus they either did it when they got married, or else while Rita's dad was crashing with them, or when they were sleeping in an RV with the minions.

e: either way, rita gave birth in that rv in the moon

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Sep 13, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

When they had Thrax the only way anything makes sense is if Zedd put him in a dumpster and sent him back in time.

They could have had him in Turbo, and sent him back just before Countdown 2 Destruction

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

When they had Thrax the only way anything makes sense is if Zedd put him in a dumpster and sent him back in time.

Seems about right for the moon crew by season three, honestly.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I love how Master Vile saunters in "You're a bunch of gently caress ups, I could do this easily", then loses once, wins once, and loses a second time and is like "They keep fighting after they lose? gently caress this I'm outta here!"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, Beast Morphers finally returns tomorrow (though Australia’s already up to episode 18 by now).

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

The Dino Charge Morphers are just drivers.

Prove me wrong.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
How was Kaitou Sentai Lupinranger VS Keisatsu Sentai Patranger? I've been watching Kamen Rider build and the advertisement for a plays before a bunch of episodes. It looks really cool and I'm curious how it even works. Do you like the two Ranger teams fight each other?

Also, would it be inappropriate to link a Kickstarter for a Power Ranger inspired game that got an endorsement from the executive editor of the Power Ranger comics? I just feel like it be relevant to the interests of the people here.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Covok posted:

How was Kaitou Sentai Lupinranger VS Keisatsu Sentai Patranger? I've been watching Kamen Rider build and the advertisement for a plays before a bunch of episodes. It looks really cool and I'm curious how it even works. Do you like the two Ranger teams fight each other?

Also, would it be inappropriate to link a Kickstarter for a Power Ranger inspired game that got an endorsement from the executive editor of the Power Ranger comics? I just feel like it be relevant to the interests of the people here.

Unfortunately it ended up being really bad, probably the second worst season of the post Shikenger era(with Nininger still being the worst)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

LuPat is Wasted Potential. It was charming enough for the most part, but it's not really good, they didn't know how to resolve their own plots in meaningful ways from week to week. At least I could watch it, though. Ryusoulger is awful so I tuned out awhile ago.