Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The key to forensic accountants is that they are called as expert witnesses in cases to give expert opinions about crime and damages and whatever and so on

What is your degree in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Leperflesh posted:

The OP links to a law school thread that is closed and links to a jurisprudence megathread that is also closed, so I'm gonna ask here and hope I don't get probed.

I'm a software technical writer with a degree in technical writing with a subject-matter focus in science writing, about 20 years of experience working in enterprise software documentation. I have an interest in law, a little education in intellectual property law (just a focus on it in one of my classes at school) and have taken the time to learn the basics enough to pedantically lecture my fellow goons when they make wildly wrong statements about it (which is always). I also enjoy reading sarcastic judge opinions, and as a technical writer I'm proficient in being very very precise and careful in the technical aspects of a document when it's called for.

I'm also 44 years old and kind of trying to figure out if there's a pathway out of my career and into some other career, which would still pay me reasonably well within a couple of years of getting going. Not necessarily going to law school and/or becoming a lawyer, mind you. But I imagine "legal assistant" means 70 hour work weeks and lovely pay. Does the legal realm have a spot for someone like me? I'd be willing to like take night classes for a year or two and get a certificate or something, but full-time college is out of the question. I live in the SF Bay Area, if that matters.

One time I drove by a place nearby that had a sign out front saying they were forensic accountants and it gave me Ideas. I bet there's forensic legal research? Would someone pay me $100k to dig through 100,000 pages of legalese in order to figure out what the gently caress happened in some case from 1986?

One of the key skills of a technical writer is translation; I interview subject matter experts and read technical planning documents and the bullshit gap-filled notes of programmers and then translate that into coherent understandable straighforward tasks, concepts, and reference for a specific audience, for example "end users" or "administrators" or "developers who already know how to do this and just need to look something up." Is there a realm of legal document poo poo around, like, reading a bunch of legal documents and then explaining to non-legal-nerd people what they actually mean? I guess a legal journalist might do that, but journalism is a lovely low-paid job for chumps these days.

I'm spitballing and brainstorming here so don't feel like you need to gladhandle me, if this is a bunch of idiotic ideas I'm OK with you saying so.

Do you own a house?

quote:

I bet there's forensic legal research? Would someone pay me $100k to dig through 100,000 pages of legalese in order to figure out what the gently caress happened in some case from 1986?
You're not a lawyer, so no.

quote:

Is there a realm of legal document poo poo around, like, reading a bunch of legal documents and then explaining to non-legal-nerd people what they actually mean?

You could become a paralegal with a few years of schooling and try to get a paralegal job. Anything else will likely be secretarial work. Long short at some sort of expert witness but pretty long shot, I can't think of a claim where you'd need a technical writer to testify. Maybe one of the biglaw losers in the law thread have some possibilities because those clients have money to burn

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

euphronius posted:

The key to forensic accountants is that they are called as expert witnesses in cases to give expert opinions about crime and damages and whatever and so on

What is your degree in

Leperflesh posted:

I'm a software technical writer with a degree in technical writing with a subject-matter focus in science writing
That's a BA. I took a lot of classes in geology, some astronomy, a bit of anthropology, so that's where I did my subject matter focus; but I was 90% sure even at the time I'd be going into software, and so I have no experience in science writing.

Ahah, thank you.

quote:

Hmm. I figured not having a legal degree would be an impediment to a lot of these things.

quote:

You could become a paralegal with a few years of schooling and try to get a paralegal job. Anything else will likely be secretarial work. Long short at some sort of expert witness but pretty long shot, I can't think of a claim where you'd need a technical writer to testify. Maybe one of the biglaw losers in the law thread have some possibilities because those clients have money to burn

OK, thank you. Not unexpected as a response, but I figured it was worth asking. And, I'll shift my dumb rear end questions to that appropriate thread you linked, so thanks for that too.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ActusRhesus posted:

Am I reading correctly that a lawyer is asking for advice here?

Here?

Wow.

Law firm non-barred employer, but the advice is for the law firm

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I own a house in NH and my Neighbor's tree hangs over the border and over my driveway. Am I allowed to have someone come and prune it back to the border? If yes, what happens if it dies after I have it pruned?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

daslog posted:

I own a house in NH and my Neighbor's tree hangs over the border and over my driveway. Am I allowed to have someone come and prune it back to the border? If yes, what happens if it dies after I have it pruned?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
https://statelaws.findlaw.com/new-hampshire-law/property-line-and-fence-laws-in-new-hampshire.html

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Don't gently caress with trees, man.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I really enjoyed that article from earlier that went into detail on the case history of "spite fences."

I'm not a lawyer, so my first reaction was "is it so frequent that lovely neighbors build ridiculous fences just to be jerks that they have a name for it"

And then I was like "Oh wait, we're talking about humans here. Of course it's so common that it has a name."

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

quote:

Trees Along Property Lines

Is your neighbor's paper birch tree making you mad by dropping big piles of leaves in your yard? Are the roots pushing up your fence? New Hampshire law allows you to prune back a neighbor's tree to the property line at your own expense. However, there are a few things to consider before you get out the chain saw:

If you seriously injure or kill the tree, you can be held liable for damages, no less than three or more than 10 times the market value of the tree.
Landowners generally have a right to grow, maintain or cut down their trees as they see fit.
A landowner who fails to reasonably maintain their tree is liable for injuries resulting from the lack of maintenance.

Well that sucks. The tree will certainly die if I prune it back to the property line, so I'm stuck with a Tree overhanging my property until it falls and destroys my cars. Go NH!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

daslog posted:

Well that sucks. The tree will certainly die if I prune it back to the property line, so I'm stuck with a Tree overhanging my property until it falls and destroys my cars. Go NH!

Have you tried asking your neighbor about it? Make sure to butter them up with the traditional New Hampshire compliment: "Nice tooth"

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

daslog posted:

Well if it were due to a lack of pruning causing the damage, wouldn't the part mentioning the landowner being liable for "injuries resulting from lack of maintenance" suggest that they would owe you a new car?

Though I guess that would be pretty difficult to determine if a lack of maintenance was responsible.

flowinprose fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 12, 2019

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

daslog posted:

Maybe talk to an arborist and your neighbor and prune it back as far as is safe for the tree?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

daslog posted:

Imagine if you phrased this as a hypothetical then you’d get my answer !!!

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Maybe talk to an arborist and your neighbor and prune it back as far as is safe for the tree?

Yeah. Practical advice, have an arborist do the pruning. They’ll know how far they can go without killing the tree. If the tree does die, well you have someone to pass blame to if your neighbor sues. Arborists are probably insured for this stuff.

If you’re worried about killing the tree from pruning, how healthy is this tree to begin with? If it’s half dead already maybe your neighbor will get it cut down for you. Talk to your neighbor.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

euphronius posted:

Imagine if you phrased this as a hypothetical then you’d get my answer !!!

Hypothetical speaking, I may have trimmed a tree hanging over my driveway that belonged to my Neighbor. Now he's suing me because it's dieing. Will I lose? :ohdearsass: :ohdearsass: :ohdearsass:

Hypothetically, what should I have done?

This is in NH.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
High pathetically, my friend let's call him Corporate Executive Billy, was wondering how a hypothetical corporate triangular fission could be hypothetically accomplished with taxational continuity to avoid transactional fees, tax and transfer of deeds in corporate property. Hypothetically, would an auditor's statement of theoretical real value reserve based on last year's fiscal audit be sufficient to allow a temporary recalculation of private stock value below the legal limit to allow a transference key calculation sufficient to transfer real value stocks to reissue stocks in a hypothetical holding company, or would that violate chapter three § 3-1 nr. 1 of the Private Limited Liability Companies Act of 1997? Just asking as a fun thought excercise guys, would love a signed response with detailed references, thanks!!!

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
concur. a competent arborist will know what can and can't be done.

We have neighbors who are all kinds of bitchy because they put in a pool... that was sheltered from street view by our trees. then we cut our trees down because they were mite infested disaster trees.

They had to plant a row of trees. we now reap benefits of tree fence. We may also be spite fencing but only because there is a large brush area on one side of our house. The neighbors do fuckall to maintain their side of it, so it keeps sprawling. In both directions. So it's less a spite fence and more a defensive barrier. But we'll try to make it pretty at least.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
I have to go to traffic court for a speeding ticket, for doing 100 in a 65 mph zone. That speed in Illinois is considered a Class A misdemeanor, so I am very nervous about this. I spoke with a lawyer, who said given that I have no previous record, there is a good chance he can get it down to a petty crime.

1) I have never worked with lawyers before, but the guy sounded like he knew what he was doing, so do I just sign up with him and hope he will do well? I tried another guy and he seemed nice but seemed less professional.
2) He tells me with right paperwork I dont even have to show up in court (its 2 hour drive away and will require a day off work). Is it ok to not go to court or will it be a good idea to show up anyways? Will it mean more for the judge, or maybe even my lawyer?
3) If something does go wrong and I end up with a misdemeanor (A or B) and therefore shows up on my record, do you think it will cause me problems when I try to register for a green card?

Thanks, from a very anxious goon

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

nervana posted:

doing 100 in a 65
2 hour drive away

I don't know, man, sounds like it's only 1.3 hours to me

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

nervana posted:

I have to go to traffic court for a speeding ticket, for doing 100 in a 65 mph zone. That speed in Illinois is considered a Class A misdemeanor, so I am very nervous about this. I spoke with a lawyer, who said given that I have no previous record, there is a good chance he can get it down to a petty crime.

1) I have never worked with lawyers before, but the guy sounded like he knew what he was doing, so do I just sign up with him and hope he will do well? I tried another guy and he seemed nice but seemed less professional.
2) He tells me with right paperwork I dont even have to show up in court (its 2 hour drive away and will require a day off work). Is it ok to not go to court or will it be a good idea to show up anyways? Will it mean more for the judge, or maybe even my lawyer?
3) If something does go wrong and I end up with a misdemeanor (A or B) and therefore shows up on my record, do you think it will cause me problems when I try to register for a green card?

1) Talk to some lawyers, go with the one you like.
2) Maybe, ask your lawyer.
3) Absolutely tell your lawyer about this concern if you don't know. Immigration law is a can of worms, which your lawyer is required to advise you on. I suspect the answer is you're fine, but seriously double and triple check, that's way more important than anything else.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

nervana posted:

Not a lawyer, but I am a speeder. Had something similar in VA on 1 and 2. I did get a lawyer, didn't have to attend in person, and got the charge reduced to "defective equipment" and paid more total, but didn't get any points on my license or a misdemeanor. YMMV though. No idea on #3, definitely ask a lawyer about that. Anecdotally, I know people with green cards who have traffic-related violations, but dunno if any reached the misdemeanor level.

Good luck with the green card. That's it's own special pile of bullshit.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

nervana posted:

2) In Texas, when someone with a ticket hires a lawyer they will typically meet with me at a pre-trial conference where the defendant doesn't even show up. There, we would come to an agreement on a plea deal (like deferred or probation type thing) and the lawyer would sign off on it. Its not difficult to imagine that the lawyer is talking about the same sort of arrangement.

1) Regarding whats typical and customary in that jurisdiction for pleas and deffered and what kind of deal he can get you, no one except a traffic ticket lawyer, who practices in that specific court, can be sure. You'll have to rely on advice of counsel for that.

3) If you have questions about particular immigration law, you should speak to an immigration attorney. Though its possible, its less likely that a traffic ticket lawyer will have the specific answers to those questions - totally different practice area, but there can be some overlap.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

nm posted:

3) Absolutely tell your lawyer about this concern if you don't know. Immigration law is a can of worms, which your lawyer is required to advise you on. I suspect the answer is you're fine, but seriously double and triple check, that's way more important than anything else.

Not a lawyer, but my spouse focuses exclusively on the immigration consequences of criminal offenses. I've had it hammered through my head that immigration law is completely unforgiving and opaque. She's always recounting cases of people who get deported etc because their attorney has them unwittingly plea to something that fucks them over. 100% consult an immigration attorney so that you don't get deported and/or have your green card denied.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Thinking of starting a small business and want to register the trademark.

I've done a cursory search and haven't found any obvious pre-existing trademarks that might try and challenge it.

Does anyone know what would be a reasonable fee for a straightforward registration in one or two classes?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

daslog posted:

Hypothetically, what should I have done?

You should have talked to an attorney in your area

Thesaurus posted:

Not a lawyer, but my spouse focuses exclusively on the immigration consequences of criminal offenses. I've had it hammered through my head that immigration law is completely unforgiving and opaque. She's always recounting cases of people who get deported etc because their attorney has them unwittingly plea to something that fucks them over. 100% consult an immigration attorney so that you don't get deported and/or have your green card denied.

Yeaup. Especially these days.

I would suggest talking to an immigration attorney in your area. If nothing else to get that green card process started.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
This is in FL. I won a judgement in Small Claims court for ~4k. Yay, I won. Now the person is ducking payment.

2 questions
1) What's the best way to go about collecting the money? Can I sell the item they "misadvertise" sold to me for a reasonable amount and just "subtract it from the judgement amount"? Could they argue that I sold it unreasonably and that now they owe me nothing?

2) If I posted a copy of the judgement on Facebook for my(and their) friends to see and stated factually that I won this judgement against them, and cause them embarassment? Could this be defamation(since people might not want to buy things from them anymore because they look like a scam artist?)? Note that the sale of these kinds of items is not their primary business.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

lord1234 posted:

This is in FL. I won a judgement in Small Claims court for ~4k. Yay, I won. Now the person is ducking payment.

2 questions
1) What's the best way to go about collecting the money? Can I sell the item they "misadvertise" sold to me for a reasonable amount and just "subtract it from the judgement amount"? Could they argue that I sold it unreasonably and that now they owe me nothing?

2) If I posted a copy of the judgement on Facebook for my(and their) friends to see and stated factually that I won this judgement against them, and cause them embarassment? Could this be defamation(since people might not want to buy things from them anymore because they look like a scam artist?)? Note that the sale of these kinds of items is not their primary business.

Generally for a judgment debt, if the debtor won’t pay, you will want to rely on wage garnishment and if the person owns any real property, filing a judgment lien. This is state law specific though so you could hire a lawyer to pursue the debt for you.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Boy, you really do have a ton of legal problems.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
It's just one problem, really.

~4k is the value of the house.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

lord1234 posted:

2 questions

Posting a copy of a valid judgment with nothing else (none of your commentary or your version of what happened for example) would absolutely not be defamation.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I have a judgment for $160,000 (of which I was due 25%) in my desk

Sigh.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

blarzgh posted:

Boy, you really do have a ton of legal problems.

The prior post i made involving ShopX/ShopY is exactly this case which I did end up winning.

Discendo Vox posted:

It's just one problem, really.

~4k is the value of the house.

That house is long sold

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Posting a copy of a valid judgment with nothing else (none of your commentary or your version of what happened for example) would absolutely not be defamation.

Couldn't you potentially run afoul of debt collection laws? I know FDCPA prohibits debt collectors from doing this as a means of embarrassing/coercing a debtor into paying.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

BonerGhost posted:

Couldn't you potentially run afoul of debt collection laws? I know FDCPA prohibits debt collectors from doing this as a means of embarrassing/coercing a debtor into paying.

I’m pretty sure the definition of debt collector doesn’t include the person the debt is owed.

It’s just not likely to help you get paid though. If this person won’t pay you they are probably not susceptible to shame.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

Look Sir Droids posted:

I’m pretty sure the definition of debt collector doesn’t include the person the debt is owed.

It’s just not likely to help you get paid though. If this person won’t pay you they are probably not susceptible to shame.

I'm hoping they pay up. We'll see.

lord1234 fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 26, 2019

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Look Sir Droids posted:

don't forget, every state has its own independent fair debt collection practices act which could very well include a judgmentally holder

It may not be defamation, but, it may be considered a form of harassment in the state, or violation of the local fairn debt collection practices act

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The lesson is don’t loan people money and most judgments are worthless

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

euphronius posted:

The lesson is don’t loan people money and most judgments are worthless

The lesson is only lend to people with semi-steady jobs and most judgments should be translated to garnishment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
Wasn't a loan, but i agree. However, good news, they paid! Yay!