Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

add a tennis court, for resale value

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

To add to the dog pile, 4500 total for two is offensive in its unbridled disdain. We bought a 2200 this year, only having gone that large because we intend to have children. At the moment a solid half of the house is dust storage because we simply have no use for it, and that's accounting for a large entertaining space and a shared 400 office.

To go a step further, they purchased an 8 acre lot. You're not getting that type of space in any urban setting, probably not even suburban. They're going to have something like 2000 that's basically strictly for entertaining, but they're going to be so far removed from population centers they'll be lucky to have people over once a month.

Cut 2000 off and donate it as an extension to some local clinic or something.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Build a duplex and rent out the other half.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
The thing to do wehen you live rurally and have glorious spaec, is to build the house as small as you need. You want to minimize the amount of space you need to cool or heat to comfortable living standards.

Then you build more houses as you need! For storage you can build a shed that is unheated and uninsulated. You can build a workshop or garage that only needs to be heated a little, or not at all depending on your needs. That's the way to do it. Secondary buildings.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

The Wonder Weapon posted:

To add to the dog pile, 4500 total for two is offensive in its unbridled disdain. We bought a 2200 this year, only having gone that large because we intend to have children. At the moment a solid half of the house is dust storage because we simply have no use for it, and that's accounting for a large entertaining space and a shared 400 office.

To go a step further, they purchased an 8 acre lot. You're not getting that type of space in any urban setting, probably not even suburban. They're going to have something like 2000 that's basically strictly for entertaining, but they're going to be so far removed from population centers they'll be lucky to have people over once a month.

Cut 2000 off and donate it as an extension to some local clinic or something.

FWIW, in the past couple of decades every home built in my urban community is 4500 or larger. (Mine is not, being one of the original houses in the area.)

It is also true that if you are away from population centers, then entertaining looks different, and if you can manage it, you might be wanting guest rooms for overnight visitors.

So, back to the original question, yes, architect, because basically whatever they want the space for, it's a good idea to get it right.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

To add something more pleasant, I'm 98% done with our driveway gate (just need to put a few extra screws into some brackets.) This was my first time doing anything like this, and I'm pleased with how it all turned out. Of course, the real test will be how it looks in 10 years.

Next summer I'll be applying a deck refinishing product of some sort to give a uniform and more appealing color.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
If you don't line dry your clothes in your 1000sqft laundry room you are literally destroying the planet you piece of poo poo

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
I think there are some misconceptions ITT about how big 4500 square feet actually is.

Assuming three levels (finished basement plus two above ground levels) the footprint of a 4500sqft house is something like 38ft x 39ft. Big, yes, but not outrageously big for most suburban US neighborhoods.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Floor chat:

Due to a dishwasher drain that blew, I'm looking at replacing flooring on my first floor. We're going to do most of the first floor in the same material, about 1500 sq ft. in total. We had a mix of carpet, laminate and bamboo up until this point. The bamboo was about 5 years old with an aluminum oxide finish and it held up fantastically well during the 5 years it was down. It stood up to kids and dogs with virtually no change or wear.

Now we're looking at primarily 2 options -- full thickness hardwood or a high-end engineered hardwood floor. Curiously, the engineered floor is more expensive, but it's thick plywood and a thick hardwood layer that would allow for sand/refinish after the factory ceramic coating is dead (hopefully well after we move in 10 years or so).

The company we're looking at it Uptown Floors http://www.uptownfloors.com/

What are thoughts on high quality engineered versus full thickness hardwood? We have a couple areas of the floor that have ~35' straight runs (both directions), so expansion/contraction is a concern. Part of me thinks that the engineered will give a better use as a floor, with lay-down and stability. The other part of me thinks that's true, but it's more expensive than full thickness and it's not full thickness...

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I've seen 200 year old hardwood floors. What's the oldest engineered floor you've seen?

If this is about durability......

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Motronic posted:

I've seen 200 year old hardwood floors. What's the oldest engineered floor you've seen?

If this is about durability......

I haven't seen hardwood floors on a subfloor on a truss with 35' clear runs. There's a good bit of movement with the truss and I'm concerned about expansion/contraction and how it'll deal with movement over time. I know a high-ply plywood will give enough to not be an issue, I don't know how a hardwood floor would perform. Am I describing it clearly?

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

meatpimp posted:

Floor chat:

Due to a dishwasher drain that blew, I'm looking at replacing flooring on my first floor. We're going to do most of the first floor in the same material, about 1500 sq ft. in total. We had a mix of carpet, laminate and bamboo up until this point. The bamboo was about 5 years old with an aluminum oxide finish and it held up fantastically well during the 5 years it was down. It stood up to kids and dogs with virtually no change or wear.

Now we're looking at primarily 2 options -- full thickness hardwood or a high-end engineered hardwood floor. Curiously, the engineered floor is more expensive, but it's thick plywood and a thick hardwood layer that would allow for sand/refinish after the factory ceramic coating is dead (hopefully well after we move in 10 years or so).

What are thoughts on high quality engineered versus full thickness hardwood? We have a couple areas of the floor that have ~35' straight runs (both directions), so expansion/contraction is a concern. Part of me thinks that the engineered will give a better use as a floor, with lay-down and stability. The other part of me thinks that's true, but it's more expensive than full thickness and it's not full thickness...

The one thing I'd suggest to check is on the approved routine cleaning methods for both kinds, but especially for the engineered flooring, and think about whether you are able to deal with the restrictions. You might find that you are not supposed to use a vacuum with rotating bristles, that you cannot use a Scooba, and that wet mopping and steam cleaning are off-limits.

Not saying that these are necesssarily showstoppers, but it's way better to know going in instead of after you've installed it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Floor chat:

When you say "full thickness" what do you mean? They make hardwood planks in various thicknesses. My friends 119ish year old house has original oak true-dimensional lumber as his flooring. (as in, 2" x 4") It was built as they clearcut the area for houses. That wood will never die. Most of it comes down to proper care and maintenance. If you're definitely moving in 10 years I wouldn't put too terribly much thought into it. They will both hold up fine. I am currently sitting on my oak floors from 1947, and other than needing to be refinished and a couple of planks replaced where a dog tore them up over the course of several years (it's where their dog gate looked out into the living room/front door) it's solid. There used to be carpet and all the awfulness of glue etc on top of them, years and years ago. I don't think there is subfloor. They are likely also from the surrounding area, there used to be a LOT of oak around here.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

TofuDiva posted:

The one thing I'd suggest to check is on the approved routine cleaning methods for both kinds, but especially for the engineered flooring, and think about whether you are able to deal with the restrictions. You might find that you are not supposed to use a vacuum with rotating bristles, that you cannot use a Scooba, and that wet mopping and steam cleaning are off-limits.

Not saying that these are necesssarily showstoppers, but it's way better to know going in instead of after you've installed it.

Good question. The definitely say no steam mops, but I'll look into it.

H110Hawk posted:

When you say "full thickness" what do you mean? They make hardwood planks in various thicknesses. My friends 119ish year old house has original oak true-dimensional lumber as his flooring. (as in, 2" x 4") It was built as they clearcut the area for houses. That wood will never die. Most of it comes down to proper care and maintenance. If you're definitely moving in 10 years I wouldn't put too terribly much thought into it. They will both hold up fine. I am currently sitting on my oak floors from 1947, and other than needing to be refinished and a couple of planks replaced where a dog tore them up over the course of several years (it's where their dog gate looked out into the living room/front door) it's solid. There used to be carpet and all the awfulness of glue etc on top of them, years and years ago. I don't think there is subfloor. They are likely also from the surrounding area, there used to be a LOT of oak around here.

They're both 3/4" floors. One is solid wood, the other is a 5.8mm thick veneer on a 11 ply birch plywood substrate. Both nail down. The engineered version has lengths up to 8', I'm unsure of maximum length of their solid pieces.

Pic of the engineered:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?
Cross posted from the Florida LAN thread:

Is anyone a real estate lawyer or have one to recommend? I co-own some property near Tampa, Florida and am having some issues with it.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

meatpimp posted:

Good question. The definitely say no steam mops, but I'll look into it.

They're both 3/4" floors. One is solid wood, the other is a 5.8mm thick veneer on a 11 ply birch plywood substrate. Both nail down. The engineered version has lengths up to 8', I'm unsure of maximum length of their solid pieces.

Pic of the engineered:

A 35’ long run of solid wood is not problem. Wood moves less than 1% lengthwise from green to kiln dry-movement in service lengthwise is negligible. It does expand/contract a bit more width wise, but this is why floors are tongue and grooved together. If you do solid wood (I sure would) make sure the flooring sits unpacked in your climate controlled house for a a few days at least (weeks would be better) to acclimate to the humidity inside. If your dishwasher leaks again, solid wood floors might well survive it with refinishing-engineered are gonna be toast. There’s a good chance the solid is mostly short lengths of it is cheaper than the engineered.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

durrneez posted:

Cross posted from the Florida LAN thread:

Is anyone a real estate lawyer or have one to recommend? I co-own some property near Tampa, Florida and am having some issues with it.

Legal Questions: Stop Talking Online and Ask An Attorney In Your Area

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

A 35’ long run of solid wood is not problem. Wood moves less than 1% lengthwise from green to kiln dry-movement in service lengthwise is negligible. It does expand/contract a bit more width wise, but this is why floors are tongue and grooved together. If you do solid wood (I sure would) make sure the flooring sits unpacked in your climate controlled house for a a few days at least (weeks would be better) to acclimate to the humidity inside. If your dishwasher leaks again, solid wood floors might well survive it with refinishing-engineered are gonna be toast. There’s a good chance the solid is mostly short lengths of it is cheaper than the engineered.

I'm going to have some moisture detection equipment in the new kitchen (I didn't know the dishwasher was leaking until it cupped the bamboo on the other side of the wall... 2 days later). It did a tremendous amount of damage that would have been overwhelmingly mitigated if there was an indication early on.

With that, I'm leaning more towards the solid. Still running options, though.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 11, 2019

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Thanks!

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

absolutely this, real wood is better in like every possible way. I just did my house with oak and I left one of the offcuts outside for months in the snow and rain and it still looked like the day it came out of the box.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Wood flooring has a couple of disadvantages:

- cost
- more expansion and contraction in the summer
- cleaning is easier than carpet but more difficult than vinyl
- termites (but this may be easy to handle depending on your area)
- long term water damage will still affect wood flooring
- in areas without a crawl space or basement, wood flooring needs to be glued down.

For these reasons, people who want to do a flooring remodel every 15 years, people who don't want to maintain their flooring carefully, or people who are anticipating on not permanently living in their house may be served well with engineering wood or luxury vinyl.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

meatpimp posted:

Floor chat:

What are thoughts on high quality engineered versus full thickness hardwood?
Are you going to be living/have stuff in the house while the floors are being redone? Not having to deal with dust and urethane VOC's is a great reason to with engineered flooring. Even with the best abatement systems--finishing hardwoods just seems to get dust everywhere.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Where's the line between lic/bonded handymen jobs and being your own/getting a GC for a job?

Example: I need to replace my bathroom fan and unfuck the ceiling. (It looks like a contractor stepped on the fan while reparing the attic trusses in the pre-closing window. Only found it on final walkthru closing day so its not a "hey fix this too you sellers").

I know a new fan would just be a straight electrician install, but replace and re-drywall is that better handled by a general handyman (lic. insured etc) or getting an electrician to do the fan and then a sheetrock guy for the ceiling?

I'm going to redo the bathroom eventually, but i'd rather get this fixed sooner than a whole reno.

Side note: this fan is plugged into a socket behind that shroud. it's not hard wired in.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You don't need an electrician to re-install a fan. Does the fan have a switch or is it all humidity controlled? Do you want to replace the fan or can it re-used?

If it was my house, I'd be looking for a painter with drywall skills. Cut out the damaged section. Put in a new piece of drywall. Rough fit you fan. Tape, mud, sand and paint your patch. Reinsert fan.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

The fan looks about as old as the house (60s), and the outlet is controlled by a switch.
I already bought a new/more modern fan as well.

I'm also fat and have lovely attic stairs, so i don't want this to be babbys first DIY adventure. I'm viewing this house as a repair training house, but am building up slowly in both skill and confidence.
I've done some shelving work, some ceiling mounted things, and so on.
I've installed a storm door, got plans to redo the floor in one room, replace the sub-floor and redo the floor in another, and eventually do a full reno on the bathroom.

I've got a feeling this fan isn't right or the hole is allowing a good amount of heat exchange with the attic space, because if i leave the door to the bathroom closed, it will be noticeably warmer and more humid than the rest of the house by the time i come home from work.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 11, 2019

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

Guessing, based on old attics. Your fan is venting right into the attic--no vents involved. Bonus points if the insulation in the joist bays around the fan has been removed.

If either are the case--you'll want to vent the fan. Most HVAC service folks have every thing needed to do a soffit vent on their trucks and /or would let you know what your options would be for venting. Venting a bathroom fan isn't a hard job--just a miserable one. Wedged in a hot attic with nasty old insulation and nails poking through the sheathing ready to spear you in the head/slice the back of your hand... Not a big dude job. :) A general handyman can do the job. The job only gets hard if you have to go through the roof.

If insulation is missing, replace as needed. You can buy precut lengths in a bundle--makes them very easy to move around. Your new fan should be IC rated. (Insulation Contact) Missing insulation would be cause of one room being warmer than others. (But windows and air vent locations probably more of a factor...)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

HycoCam posted:

Are you going to be living/have stuff in the house while the floors are being redone? Not having to deal with dust and urethane VOC's is a great reason to with engineered flooring. Even with the best abatement systems--finishing hardwoods just seems to get dust everywhere.

Going with a pre-finished hardwood. I am sold on factory finishes versus an in-place poly.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

toplitzin posted:

Where's the line between lic/bonded handymen jobs and being your own/getting a GC for a job?

Example: I need to replace my bathroom fan and unfuck the ceiling. (It looks like a contractor stepped on the fan while reparing the attic trusses in the pre-closing window. Only found it on final walkthru closing day so its not a "hey fix this too you sellers").

I know a new fan would just be a straight electrician install, but replace and re-drywall is that better handled by a general handyman (lic. insured etc) or getting an electrician to do the fan and then a sheetrock guy for the ceiling?

I'm going to redo the bathroom eventually, but i'd rather get this fixed sooner than a whole reno.

Side note: this fan is plugged into a socket behind that shroud. it's not hard wired in.

Basically echoing what others have said. I actually just had this quoted myself (and these things will vary by area) but a general handyman (yes they should be licensed/bonded) can install your new fan and punch a hole in the roof and properly seal/flash/vent it for ~$350. Since you've got the drywall repair as well maybe that's another $50-200 depending on how the patch/repair needs to be done.

edit: taking another look at the picture, probably $50 for the drywall repair. The contractor would probably want to use a fast drying compound so he can knock out the whole job in one trip. You can take a piece of that bad drywall that gets removed and get a color match done on the paint which should get you sorted on the paint front.

tangy yet delightful fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 11, 2019

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Insulation is fresh. That was one of the first things I did after closing was to get new insulation blown in.
Helps 100% with the HVAC and my bills are right where I expect. :D

The bathroom is a center of house cave, so no windows or other points of entry.

Note, we dont really use the master shower since its so small and no ventilation in there.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

My house is 2000 sq ft. My post above kinda got lost in the back and forth on a sq ft / guillotine ratio.

What kinda difficulty would I getting into if I wanted to DIY removing the fireplace insert, taking the fireplace out of service and drywalling over the wall parts leaving an inset into the wall and tiling the floor of the inset out to the current tile on the hardwood there?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

That Works posted:

What kinda difficulty would I getting into if I wanted to DIY removing the fireplace insert, taking the fireplace out of service and drywalling over the wall parts leaving an inset into the wall and tiling the floor of the inset out to the current tile on the hardwood there?

They're all kinda fiddly tasks so you can expect it to take much longer than a bevy of pros with experience, and/or it might not wind up with a perfect finish, but you're not going to collapse the chimney or anything.

The only note I'd give is that it's apparently necessary to provide venting from the chimney into the room via any closed up fireplaces to prevent that section of the chimney developing mould issues.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Your fireplace is not an insert.

You would have to demo all the tile/stone out from around it and, depending on how you want to build shelves/cubbies, demo the fire brick and parts of the chimney.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Motronic posted:

Your fireplace is not an insert.

You would have to demo all the tile/stone out from around it and, depending on how you want to build shelves/cubbies, demo the fire brick and parts of the chimney.

The bricks in it are just some sort of masonry plates that only look like bricks and they sit above a metal grille etc that you can see into space underneath it etc. All of the plates / brick seem to be entirely placed within the surrounding metal enclosure on all sides. Would that still not be considered an insert? When I brought photos to the fireplace store in town they identified it as some model of "zero clearance insert" so that's why I had been calling it that.

We would definitely be ripping out the hearth, tiles (except possibly the ones on the floor) with what we envison currently unless there's a good reason not to do so. Would prefer to make a cubby there so we could make use of the tiled floor portion and put things like a dog food and water setup etc that would be more out of the way.

Jaded Burnout posted:

They're all kinda fiddly tasks so you can expect it to take much longer than a bevy of pros with experience, and/or it might not wind up with a perfect finish, but you're not going to collapse the chimney or anything.

The only note I'd give is that it's apparently necessary to provide venting from the chimney into the room via any closed up fireplaces to prevent that section of the chimney developing mould issues.

Thanks!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That Works posted:

The bricks in it are just some sort of masonry plates that only look like bricks and they sit above a metal grille etc that you can see into space underneath it etc. All of the plates / brick seem to be entirely placed within the surrounding metal enclosure on all sides. Would that still not be considered an insert? When I brought photos to the fireplace store in town they identified it as some model of "zero clearance insert" so that's why I had been calling it that.

IF they ID'd it as an insert than go with that. From your pic it looks like a regular built fireplace with a screen door pasted on the outside (very common). That should make things significantly easier on you.

That Works posted:

We would definitely be ripping out the hearth, tiles (except possibly the ones on the floor) with what we envison currently unless there's a good reason not to do so. Would prefer to make a cubby there so we could make use of the tiled floor portion and put things like a dog food and water setup etc that would be more out of the way.

A cubby on the floor where the fireplace used to be? Might look a bit odd, but yeah.....should be pretty easy. The worst thing you have to deal with here is the chimney, which is probably nothing more than galvanized double or triple wall pipe in an OSB box.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Motronic posted:

IF they ID'd it as an insert than go with that. From your pic it looks like a regular built fireplace with a screen door pasted on the outside (very common). That should make things significantly easier on you.

A cubby on the floor where the fireplace used to be? Might look a bit odd, but yeah.....should be pretty easy. The worst thing you have to deal with here is the chimney, which is probably nothing more than galvanized double or triple wall pipe in an OSB box.

Thanks!

So for the chimney, it seems to be just a pipe like you said enclosed in a box covered in siding on the house. I didn't plan on removing the chimney and if possible just sealing up the pipe on both ends and as Jaded suggested make sure the box itself still gets some kind of venting. Would that work or would the entire pipe etc going up the side of the house all need to be removed? If that was the case it's a much bigger job than I think I want to consider as DIY at all.

As far as the cubby goes I think if we have the same tile on the floor going into the recessed cubby as well and then make the drywall and repainting etc all match it's basically just a dugout with some stuff in it. If it looks too poo poo I can just build in a low bookcase or storage cabinet with a bench top to sit on along that wall or something instead and just trim that up with the same baseboard moulding etc.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That Works posted:

So for the chimney, it seems to be just a pipe like you said enclosed in a box covered in siding on the house. I didn't plan on removing the chimney and if possible just sealing up the pipe on both ends and as Jaded suggested make sure the box itself still gets some kind of venting. Would that work or would the entire pipe etc going up the side of the house all need to be removed? If that was the case it's a much bigger job than I think I want to consider as DIY at all.

You're going to need to maintain the integrity of however you weather seal it. For the short term it should be fine as it is providing the chimney cap is in tact. Past that I don't know the best thing to do. Perhaps pull the chimney cap, block it off from the top (pitched) and use standard roofing material on it?

I agree with Jaded about venting. Who cares about the chimney pipe you are no longer using, but you don't want the OSB to get moldy.

Honestly I don't really like anything about your plan with the cubby. You're creating problems you don't need to have by way of a protrusion outside of the side of your house with a bunch of leftover junk sitting on top of it. My guess is that it's always going to be cold and it's going to be a periodic hassle to weatherproof.

If I were in your position I'd throw up some 2x6'es across the demoed opening, vapor barrier towards the outside, insulate, and rock over it. And when you need the siding redone rip the chimney/box off entirely. Or even sooner.

I could be more concerned than necessary about this, but that's my take.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

meatpimp posted:

Going with a pre-finished hardwood. I am sold on factory finishes versus an in-place poly.

Plot twist:

Remember I said we had fantastic luck with the strand-woven bamboo that was put down about 5 years ago? It was a cheapo from Costco with a 13 layer aluminum oxide finish. It is absolutely hard as nails.

I assumed the new UV cured ceramic finish on the samples I got would be as tough, but they weren't even close.

I have a test that I do with my tungsten carbide wedding ring where I push the smooth edge into the surface and drag it to see if the surface dents. Then I take the sharp edge and gouge the surface to see if it's going to scratch with dog nails, etc. The bamboo is impervious to both attacks. The samples I got with the ceramic were fine with denting (the hickory samples are softer than bamboo and will dent easier, of course, but it wasn't too bad), but the gouge test was a miserable failure. To the point that after a few gouges I was through the coating to bare wood.

So I'm in a quandary... we are hard on floors. This bamboo with aluminum oxide factory finish held up to our use. I absolutely cannot spend $15k+ on a floor to have it perform worse than the cheapo bamboo we had...

Is there a factory finish that is going to be as hard as what we have now, but on 3/4" hardwood? Where do I even start to look?

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Genuine question: is there a reason that you aren't considering going again with bamboo similar to what you had before? From your posts, you seem to have had really good luck with it and liked the durability of the finish.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I redid the living room floor in my new house with this stuff: https://www.calibamboo.com/geowood-flooring.html

Cost me $3.50 / sq ft about a year ago, seems to have held up fine but I don't have alot of traffic. I had the same worries about engineered wood and water which is why I went with this stuff, the backing feels like a dense plastic and is supposed to be pretty water resistant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

That Works posted:

Thanks!

As far as the cubby goes I think if we have the same tile on the floor going into the recessed cubby as well and then make the drywall and repainting etc all match it's basically just a dugout with some stuff in it. If it looks too poo poo I can just build in a low bookcase or storage cabinet with a bench top to sit on along that wall or something instead and just trim that up with the same baseboard moulding etc.
I'm sure there are Reasons that aren't clear to me, but it seems way easier/cheaper to run whatever chimney pipe you need for the wood stove up the existing chimney? Put the wood stove on the current stone hearth (replace/expand it if needed since the stove will stick out in the room) and then remove/replace the existing mantel with whatever stone/tile you need to have around the woodstove.