Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Jonah Galtberg posted:

remember how everyone loved to talk about how we had so much ~*~*~*~soft power~*~*~*~ and ~*~*~*~*~~**~~*~*~*punched above our weight~*~*~*~~*~**~ when in reality we were just riding the wave of american dominance through the 90s and 00s

Remember that time we tried to tell the US to stay out of East Timor because we weren't done stealing all of their oil and gas with Indonesia's blessing and Slick Willy said "lol nup" so turns out we don't deserve influence or soft power because we're low key fascist imperialists who would make China look like Finland or some poo poo if we actually had any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Jonah Galtberg posted:

remember how everyone loved to talk about how we had so much ~*~*~*~soft power~*~*~*~ and ~*~*~*~*~~**~~*~*~*punched above our weight~*~*~*~~*~**~ when in reality we were just riding the wave of american dominance through the 90s and 00s
https://www.fpwhitepaper.gov.au/foreign-policy-white-paper/chapter-eight-partnerships-and-soft-power/soft-power

quote:

We will develop a stronger nation brand that reinforces our reputation as an internationally competitive investment destination, a great place to visit, a quality provider of education and a trusted exporter of premium quality goods and services.

:flaccid:

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

surely someone is having a laugh with this

quote:

Australia’s democracy, rule of law, strong economy, quality education, cutting-edge science, multiculturalism and environmental protections are all sources of influence. These facets of modern Australia underpin our ability to attract capital and talent from around the world. They enable Australians and Australian institutions to speak with confidence and with credibility on the world stage.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
It's almost as sad as Australians that think the world will follow us into the golden age of renewable energy if we set an example by allowing ourselves to get eaten by international competitors

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

JBP posted:

It's almost as sad as Australians that think the world will follow us into the golden age of renewable energy if we set an example by allowing ourselves to get eaten by international competitors
:allears::allears::allears::chloe::allears::allears::allears::chloe::allears::allears::allears::chloe::allears::allears::allears::chloe::allears::allears::allears:

Your betters posted:

Australia’s ability to persuade and influence others is underpinned by some enduring strengths.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

There literally one thing this country has and it's rocks so let's sell the rocks and get ubereats imo you only live once

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

There's nothing more cutting-edge than digging up dead dinosaur matter and selling it to somebody else so they can light it on fire.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Sell the rocks before the commies steal them

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Luckily once the market has dried up Prime Minister Dutton will be there to purchase our own natural resources from a foreign corporation and store in in warehouses or something.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Sell prison space to China for real

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

okay but what the gently caress is going on here.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Antarctica has zero experience reflection. Should we be worried?

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

It all went wrong when they didn't let Lang Hancock use nukes to mine in the Pilbara.

Let's dig him up. He doesn't mind waiting.

clusterfuck fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Sep 11, 2019

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Humans administer china

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

That's why it's bad!

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
this thread "discussing" chinese-australians is a great example of how propaganda doesn't magically transform people into racists, it just reinforces racist views they have always held and then encourages them to express those views freely

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

fauna posted:

this thread "discussing" chinese-australians is a great example of how propaganda doesn't magically transform people into racists, it just reinforces racist views they have always held and then encourages them to express those views freely

The recent chat has nothing to do with Chinese Australians

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
imo it’s a good thing Morrison isn’t attending the UN climate conference. If he did he’d only serve to agitate against meaningful action, and hopefully non-attendance leads to Australia rightly becoming more of a pariah State on climate

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

JBP posted:

The recent chat has nothing to do with Chinese Australians
when does a chinese person living in australia become an australian?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Student guilds are hosed up and should be abolished anyway.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

fauna posted:

when does a chinese person living in australia become an australian?

When they become an Australian. If you go to study in Brazil are you a Brazilian lol

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

fauna posted:

Jonah Galtberg posted:

the idea that chinese people are somehow genetically immune to the brain diseases caused by being spoiled rich kids is actually extremely racist and infantilising, hth

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I think we can criticise Chinese government interference / the Chinese government encouraging their citizens to take pro Chinese government views on controversial issues which are often profoundly anti democratic without being racist. It’s a legitimate issue in certain places like universities that now a university or business can’t even mention say, Taiwan without risking blowback from Chinese interests.

That said saying “Chinese people are loving rude cunts, go back home you uncultured swine” like lately in the thread is a bit more difficult to swallow.

Same with Chinese property buyers. Is there any hard data that suggests that they are affecting the price any more than say, the Italian or Greek immigration pushes in the 50s?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I sold my dad's house to Chinese people for $50k above reserve they're great

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

I for one, love China

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

teacup posted:

I think we can criticise Chinese government interference / the Chinese government encouraging their citizens to take pro Chinese government views on controversial issues which are often profoundly anti democratic without being racist. It’s a legitimate issue in certain places like universities that now a university or business can’t even mention say, Taiwan without risking blowback from Chinese interests.

That said saying “Chinese people are loving rude cunts, go back home you uncultured swine” like lately in the thread is a bit more difficult to swallow.

Same with Chinese property buyers. Is there any hard data that suggests that they are affecting the price any more than say, the Italian or Greek immigration pushes in the 50s?

nobody is saying that Chinese people are inherently rude you idiot, just rich people

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Rich people are bad hth

E: :argh:

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Crazy Rich Asians was a really bad movie

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

teacup posted:

Finally some quality auspol where someone who can't read tries to be woker than thou.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
lmao as if Australia somehow hasn't always been incredibly racist

my family was still being called krauts and huns all the way until the 60's, despite the fact basically everyone who could serve in the military did.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Recoome posted:

lmao as if Australia somehow hasn't always been incredibly racist

my family was still being called krauts and huns all the way until the 60's, despite the fact basically everyone who could serve in the military did.

Pretty terrible that they were still being called that a distant 15 years after Nazis conquered Europe

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

JBP posted:

Pretty terrible that they were still being called that a distant 15 years after Nazis conquered Europe

Just autoban, dude. Don't make the mods do the job for you.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

lol

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Australia is incredibly racist, and we should try to be less racist. I think it's getting better slowly, it's not as socially acceptable to be bluntly racist any more.

Show me another country that isn't racist, I can't think of any shining examples we can try and emulate.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

starkebn posted:

I think it's getting better slowly, it's not as socially acceptable to be bluntly racist any more.
lol

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

starkebn posted:

Australia is incredibly racist, and we should try to be less racist. I think it's getting better slowly, it's not as socially acceptable to be bluntly racist any more.

Show me another country that isn't racist, I can't think of any shining examples we can try and emulate.

Most places are terrible and nothing has changed all that much since say the 60s as far as I can tell. If anything there are pockets that have become way worse post the early 2000s with globalisation hitting full steam and the destruction of barriers to going very online.

E: like my smurf Facebook account still manages to feed me political content despite never using it for anything that isn't nerd feeds and the level of racist vitriol and poo poo that's within the rules is disgusting. It's a poisonous environment

Starshark posted:

Are you shocked and amazed that Australians were othering the poo poo out people while living in the 60s and with a post war mindset lol?

JBP fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 12, 2019

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Starshark posted:

no, no, you mean autobahn

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

starkebn posted:

I think it's gone backwards tbh

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
No one in this thread has been racist. Beijing influences is a geopolitical topic. It is under debate on campuses and parliaments nationwide.

I am not probating anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

god i'm losing it at labor's attack on gladys liu

quote:

Today there are extraordinary reports that senior Liberals were warned by security agencies that concerns about Gladys Liu’s links to the Chinese Communist Party made it “unwise” to preselect her.

One Government MP is quoted: “There should have been concerns when she was being chosen to stand as a candidate and I believe those concerns were ignored.”

These reports raise serious questions as to whether the Prime Minister and the Liberal Party put winning marginal seats ahead of Australia’s national security.

This goes far beyond whether an interview was clumsy. It goes directly to the national interest.

In light of these reports, the Prime Minister must urgently demonstrate to the Australian people what steps he took to ensure that Gladys Liu is in fact a fit and proper person to sit in the Australian Parliament.

It is in the interests of Chinese-Australian communities and our inclusive democracy for these specific concerns to be addressed.

The only person linking these specific and serious concerns about Ms Liu to the entire Chinese-Australian population is Scott Morrison and he should stop.

All parliamentarians must be able to provide assurance that they have no conflict of interest in serving the Australian people.

just remember that their candidate for that seat has the exact same resume as liu to the extent that they were both members on the same boards that they're alleging are ccp spy ops in australia

absolutely loving hilarious