Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Malcolm XML posted:

Lrdimm support hell yeah gonna make me a 1tb workstation monster

Malcolm XML posted:

I will NEVER download more ram

Throw your SSD in the trash!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
512gb of ram is $2500

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Palladium posted:

My 3200CL16 E-die runs perfect on XMP undervolted to 1.25V but will not even POST with the Ryzen DRAM calculator safe presets at 3200MHz at 1.35V, what gives? It makes no goddamn sense.

For RAM OCing I found it a bit odd. Turn off XMP. Make sure all settings are at AUTO first, then go slowly and change each one, rebooting in between. Set a high -ish voltage for this process to allow the memory to POST/train successfully.

You could set just the main 18-20-20-20 timings and leave everything else on auto if you want to be lazy, thats what I did.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Lube banjo posted:

For RAM OCing I found it a bit odd. Turn off XMP. Make sure all settings are at AUTO first, then go slowly and change each one, rebooting in between. Set a high -ish voltage for this process to allow the memory to POST/train successfully.

You could set just the main 18-20-20-20 timings and leave everything else on auto if you want to be lazy, thats what I did.

Well, I just got my 16GBx2 Ballistix Sport LT E-die working at 3600C16-19-16-36 on 1.35V, manually keying everything with help of the calculator.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Palladium posted:

Well, I just got my 16GBx2 Ballistix Sport LT E-die working at 3600C16-19-16-36 on 1.35V, manually keying everything with help of the calculator.
I was going to say if it doesn't work just throw more voltage at it. EDie really likes voltage if you're ever having trouble.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Drakhoran posted:

so Gamers Nexus have apparently gotten some info on the upcoming Threadripper platform:

is there something wrong with me that i'm somehow seeing loss.jpg in this image

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

is there something wrong with me that i'm somehow seeing loss.jpg in this image

I don't see it, can you draw some boxes

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
After having my B450M Mortar for a week, I find it baffling to still see ASMedia USB ports making GBS threads themselves with cheapo USB Wi-Fi adapters (random disconnects galore) where Intel USB ports would run them flawlessly. Had the same issue with the Asmedia USB ports on my old 4790K mobo.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Palladium posted:

My 3200CL16 E-die runs perfect on XMP undervolted to 1.25V but will not even POST with the Ryzen DRAM calculator safe presets at 3200MHz at 1.35V, what gives? It makes no goddamn sense.

I'm on the 3600 Safe timings on my e-die but it wouldn't post with any kind of tweaked timings at any speed without something like 1.44 for DRAM voltage. Have you set or tried the alternate ProcODT setting as well? That's another thing that stopped me from posting.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Palladium posted:

Is it really worth going through this headache for margin of error performance gains in synthetic benchmarks? It's not like you're missing out on a free 1ghz+ overclock on a Sandy Bridge CPU or anything.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

FallenGod posted:

Is it really worth going through this headache for margin of error performance gains in synthetic benchmarks? It's not like you're missing out on a free 1ghz+ overclock on a Sandy Bridge CPU or anything.

There's virtually no CPU headroom in 3rd gen Ryzens so DDR4 OCing is the only thing left to raise performance. There are nice gains to be had in games from 3200C16 to 3600C16, not just only in synthetics.

Anyway I got 3600C16 working fine now, and got an Apple USB-C to 3.5mm adaptor (works with Win10 PCs) to replace the awful onboard audio...So all that's left to fix is Wi-Fi.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Palladium posted:

Apple USB-C to 3.5mm adaptor (works with Win10 PCs) to replace the awful onboard audio

I shouldn't be surprised that Apple did the mini displayport cable thing again, but.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Palladium posted:

if this is something built into the mobo, maybe it's messing with the subtimings buried on a second page somewhere?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
It's the same thing with my G.Skill 3200 CL14. It's so weird that even the motherboard BIOS's own safe preset doesn't boot.

It looked like they used the exact same RAM in GN's recent benchmark so I have no idea what's going on.

Backyarr
Jun 6, 2006
There's a pirate in your backyard!

Fallen Rib
My dual-rank B-die (G.Skill TridentZ 3200CL14, timings 14-14-14-34, 2x16 GB modules) will work at 3600CL14 (timings 14-15-15-30) when I give it 1.45 V. I sometimes have errors in Prime95 but I'm pretty happy with it.

The reason I'm posting this: I've noticed that newer versions of the Ryzen DRAM calculator undershoot the voltage needed for normal RAM operation. Version 1.6.0.3 seemed to give better values. By B-die won't even boot at anything less that 1.43 V when operating at 3600CL14. The DRAM calculator suggests 1.37 V :downs:

Disclaimer: don't know anything about E-die. You probably don't wanna go to 1.45 V with it.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Backyarr posted:

My dual-rank B-die (G.Skill TridentZ 3200CL14, timings 14-14-14-34, 2x16 GB modules) will work at 3600CL14 (timings 14-15-15-30) when I give it 1.45 V. I sometimes have errors in Prime95 but I'm pretty happy with it.

The reason I'm posting this: I've noticed that newer versions of the Ryzen DRAM calculator undershoot the voltage needed for normal RAM operation. Version 1.6.0.3 seemed to give better values. By B-die won't even boot at anything less that 1.43 V when operating at 3600CL14. The DRAM calculator suggests 1.37 V :downs:

Disclaimer: don't know anything about E-die. You probably don't wanna go to 1.45 V with it.

Are you sure all the settings are the same other than the voltage? I don't know what settings require a lot of voltage, but I went from 3600 "Safe" to 3800 "Fast" which actually required less voltage and had some looser timings, but some significantly tighter sub timings. 3600 "Safe" required something like 1.46v but 3800 "Fast" required 1.42.

Backyarr
Jun 6, 2006
There's a pirate in your backyard!

Fallen Rib

Burno posted:

Are you sure all the settings are the same other than the voltage? I don't know what settings require a lot of voltage, but I went from 3600 "Safe" to 3800 "Fast" which actually required less voltage and had some looser timings, but some significantly tighter sub timings. 3600 "Safe" required something like 1.46v but 3800 "Fast" required 1.42.

They're the same other than the CAD Bus resistances, which I haven't played around with and left at 24-24-24-24. Notice the difference in voltages. Maybe that's the important factor for lower voltages?
1.6.0.3: https://imgur.com/DFwWPGP.png
1.6.2: https://imgur.com/e7uT7yP.png

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

Backyarr posted:

From what I recall, Buildzoid found E-die really likes (works) higher voltage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhp8iwHJxyI&t=2995s

And is indifferent to hair dryers in case you're wondering.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeHEtULQg3Q&t=368s

Golluk fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 11, 2019

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Has AMD said anything about when this month the 3950x is supposed to be released?

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Still just "September". I wouldn't expect the launch until late September, possibly even September 30. Since they are still struggling to meet demand for the 3900X they'll want to build up as much stock as possible before launch.

eames
May 9, 2009

can't help but wonder if the late 3950X launch and 3900X shortages are a result of AMD simply not getting enough good silicon to meet demand, shamino (ex-Asus employee) hinted that this is also the reason for boost clocks falling short of the official spec.

That wouldn't be surprising considering early Ryzen 1 CPUs overclocked much worse than the ones built later as the process matured, what is new is that the CPUs are technically not meeting spec, have virtually no OC headroom and silicon quality now almost equals higher frequency.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
....you know, there was a rumor floating around that Microsoft was tinkering around with AMD-based Surface devices, and there's a Surface event next month.

I am almost terrified to hope.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

eames posted:

can't help but wonder if the late 3950X launch and 3900X shortages are a result of AMD simply not getting enough good silicon to meet demand, shamino (ex-Asus employee) hinted that this is also the reason for boost clocks falling short of the official spec.

That wouldn't be surprising considering early Ryzen 1 CPUs overclocked much worse than the ones built later as the process matured, what is new is that the CPUs are technically not meeting spec, have virtually no OC headroom and silicon quality now almost equals higher frequency.

probably correct. as process nodes get denser freq becomes really hard to increase. I think they could find fully enabled 8 core dies but those would go to EPYC for margin reasons. So they screwed themselves by promising high frequency cores.

AMD marketing creates problems again!

ufarn
May 30, 2009
We're all hoping laptops make the direct jump to ARM, but using AMD to fill the gap probably isn't a terrible idea.

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

ufarn posted:

We're all hoping laptops make the direct jump to ARM

They're called tablets

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

They're called tablets

Chromebooks are on both ARM and x86, unless they dropped the ARM ones.

not that we are getting off x86 purely for compatibility reasons for a very very long time. There's going to be a middle step of a co-processor before a full switch. There is way too much legacy.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

They're called tablets

Mobile OS though :( Not that Windows on ARM is that great right now but linux on ARM isn't bad, it's improved tremendously in the past few years compared to when I first tried it.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

pixaal posted:

Chromebooks are on both ARM and x86, unless they dropped the ARM ones.

not that we are getting off x86 purely for compatibility reasons for a very very long time. There's going to be a middle step of a co-processor before a full switch. There is way too much legacy.

What's the benefit of moving off x86 and onto ARM?

All the pundits keep hooting and hollering about moving to ARM. No one ever offers a cogent explanation for why we should.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

What's the benefit of moving off x86 and onto ARM?

All the pundits keep hooting and hollering about moving to ARM. No one ever offers a cogent explanation for why we should.

I have no idea, but if it was going to happen there is a 0% chance it would be a clean cut there would be a co processor first, pointing this out tends to get them to stop.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

The ISA is prettier.

Apr 7, 2003

Not sure if I can sell a hardware migration with "but the ISA is prettier"

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
People look at the efficiency of low performance ARM CPUs and fancifully imagine that if they scaled up to perform as well as x86 CPUs, they wouldn't be facing the same performance/efficiency tradeoffs that x86 CPUs are.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Apr 7, 2003

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Not sure if I can sell a hardware migration with "but the ISA is prettier"

you can if you throw in some leds!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Lmao I love this chart

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

priznat posted:

Lmao I love this chart

Disco record sales.jpg

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

Disco record sales.jpg

Haha I was thinking Homer’s pumpkin futures but the disco sales one is bang on, forgot about disco stu :(

Probably because he doesn’t advertise

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

K8.0 posted:

People look at the efficiency of low performance ARM CPUs and fancifully imagine that if they scaled up to perform as well as x86 CPUs, they wouldn't be facing the same performance/efficiency tradeoffs that x86 CPUs are.

It's funny, because Chromebooks are a great example of why this doesn't work, outside of the rather expensive ones (which still only perform like low-midrange x86 Chromebooks at best) you get a terrible experience that works in the same way that using your old laptop from 2010 works.

pixaal posted:

I have no idea, but if it was going to happen there is a 0% chance it would be a clean cut there would be a co processor first, pointing this out tends to get them to stop.

None of the successful architecture changes for existing products relied on co-processor nonsense. Historically, it's been a sign of a failed attempts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

The only actual reason that an ARM transition might happen on PCs/servers/whatever is because ARM the company is very liberal about licensing ARM the ISA so there's a much bigger variety of vendors than the x86 duopoly. That's it. If that somehow proves valuable to the market then the transition will happen, otherwise it won't.