Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Kild posted:

standard doesn't have great equipment for him atm to take advantage of his 3rd line

:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
An incredibly practical lance, with attachments that stab your own horse in the head.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Jabor posted:

An incredibly practical lance, with attachments that stab your own horse in the head.

my favorite part is the idea that the way to make it hit harder is to distribute the force of impact over 4 points instead of 1

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

brb crossposting to the budk catalog thread

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I’m still baffled that R&D thought Arthurian knights was a bigger draw than fairy tales. The fact that most of the fairy tale stuff are draft commons while knights fill the legendary rare creature slots is dumb as heck.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Less knights more faeries and elves and stuff please

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Owlbear Camus posted:

You know, I could poo poo on that flavor text but I'd rather they feel free to tee off and occasionally trip over their dick into sub dad joke level humor than feel like they gotta play it straight.

They already did this flavor text on Onslaught. I'm 100% on board with reusing bad jokes.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

whydirt posted:

I’m still baffled that R&D thought Arthurian knights was a bigger draw than fairy tales. The fact that most of the fairy tale stuff are draft commons while knights fill the legendary rare creature slots is dumb as heck.

This part from MaRo's Making Magic article about Eldriane was hilarious:

"This concern was well illustrated by an interaction I would have many months later. We often like to invite other people to our design playtests so that we can get fresh perspectives on the set. After one playtester had playtested the set for the first time, I went up to him to get feedback. I asked him what he thought of the set. He gushed about all the fairy-tale elements. I asked what he thought about the Camelot part of the set. He said he hadn't noticed any. I then looked at his deck. He was playing Knight tribal. About three quarters of his deck was the "Camelot part of the set," but it didn't stand out to him because it's just the kind of thing Magic does all the time. Given, he was playing with playtest cards, so there was no art or flavor text to help spell out that part of the world, but the interaction was very telling."

I bet when he does his next year in review he'll be talking about how they leaned too hard on the Arthurian stuff nobody found very exciting, though obviously he's biased since he's the one who wanted the fairytale set in the first place.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Into the Story.
5UU instant

Draw 4. Costs 3 less if an opponent has 7+ cards in their graveyard.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

The thing that shocks me the most right now is the lack of Monty Python references. Good restraint I guess.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

suicidesteve posted:

Into the Story.
5UU instant

Draw 4. Costs 3 less if an opponent has 7+ cards in their graveyard.

Not even a rare, it's an uncommon, so Peasant cube people will be happy.

also that's a stone-cold bomb on a lot of draft formats.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

The Human Crouton posted:

R for a hasted first-striker. Surely those other two abilities must contain some sort of drawback.

Oh.

The card has the potential to do powerful things for 1 mana, but the fact that it doesn't do anything without support is a very serious drawback. Good decks want to be made of cards that are individually strong in addition to having synergy with the rest of their game plan and are leery of cards that require payoffs to contribute.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Blooming Brilliant posted:

The thing that shocks me the most right now is the lack of Monty Python references. Good restraint I guess.

Need a pongify-like that turns a creature into a 0/1 Newt for a couple turns.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

i think the idea is you go turn 1 [whatever], turn 2 stoneforge, turn 3 activate stoneforge for a sword, play this guy, equip the sword for free, and swing

idk man that seems extremely underwhelming and fragile for modern

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My prediction is that card will do stone cold nothing in Standard for 21 months, then M22 will print some absurd equipment and make it the centerpiece of a really strong Knight tribal deck for 3 months.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Personally, I rather like the Knights as a design element for the set. The Camelot thing is happening because most people don’t know the Arthurian tales in any real detail.

Admittedly I’m still hoping for a card themed around the Green Knight and his take turns decapitating each other competition.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

AlphaKeny1 posted:

idk man that seems extremely underwhelming and fragile for modern

yeah I don’t think it’s good, I just think if it has a place, that’s it

Hellsau posted:

Not even a rare, it's an uncommon, so Peasant cube people will be happy.

also that's a stone-cold bomb on a lot of draft formats.

the gently caress

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I mean Colossus Hammer is in M20 just begging for someone to break it via reduced equip cost

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

I mean Colossus Hammer is in M20 just begging for someone to break it via reduced equip cost

It already has been? There are infect decks and some wonky double striker decks floating out there.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Lord_Magmar posted:

Personally, I rather like the Knights as a design element for the set. The Camelot thing is happening because most people don’t know the Arthurian tales in any real detail.

Admittedly I’m still hoping for a card themed around the Green Knight and his take turns decapitating each other competition.

I don't hate that there's a knights theme in the set, it's just weird that the marketing seems to focus so heavily on the fairytale aspect while design seems to have been scared of it.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Sinteres posted:

I don't hate that there's a knights theme in the set, it's just weird that the marketing seems to focus so heavily on the fairytale aspect while design seems to have been scared of it.

It makes sense for them to be gunshy because if it's successful they'll just plan to come back to it in 2 years and have a whole bunch more designs they can use immediately.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Kalli posted:

It makes sense for them to be gunshy because if it's successful they'll just plan to come back to it in 2 years and have a whole bunch more designs they can use immediately.

I've been wondering about that. It seems like it might be hard to come back after they already blew their load with all the most recognizable characters from fairytales, but I guess they could revisit some of the same characters by upgrading some of them to legendary status. Have we seen anything with three pigs yet?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

The equip cost is high enough that you can't feasibly cheat it down low enough to be playable, and if you're putting that much work into generating mana or doing things analogous to generating mana then you can get much better payoffs for that level of effort. The Hammer gets used with effects that allow you to skip the equip cost entirely, at which point a good draw has you killing people on turn 2.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Sinteres posted:

I've been wondering about that. It seems like it might be hard to come back after they already blew their load with all the most recognizable characters from fairytales, but I guess they could revisit some of the same characters by upgrading some of them to legendary status. Have we seen anything with three pigs yet?

https://www.mtgsalvation.com/cards/throne-of-eldraine/37056-blow-your-house-down

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Bricks don't hold up like they used to.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Sinteres posted:

My guess is the last really heavy "fairy tale" set was Arabian Nights, and just in general design is probably scared of going back to really early magic where it wasn't it's own thing but riffing off a lot of other things too often.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Lord_Magmar posted:

My guess is the last really heavy "fairy tale" set was Arabian Nights, and just in general design is probably scared of going back to really early magic where it wasn't it's own thing but riffing off a lot of other things too often.

That does match up with what Maro's said about wanting to save legendary status for their own creations rather than the references. If they do revisit Eldraine in the future, maybe they can make more things that "feel like" fairy tales without actually being Disney references to close that gap.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Voyager I posted:

The card has the potential to do powerful things for 1 mana, but the fact that it doesn't do anything without support is a very serious drawback. Good decks want to be made of cards that are individually strong in addition to having synergy with the rest of their game plan and are leery of cards that require payoffs to contribute.

It's better than a bunch of the dorky 1-drops that Cavalcade is already playing.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Tainen posted:

Bringing back invitational cards was a mistake

Should have printed the card name in amonkhet invocation font

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Kild posted:

standard doesn't have great equipment for him atm to take advantage of his 3rd line

Too bad Sigiled Sword of Valeron is rotating out.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Rinkles posted:

lol i thought it was a dumb joke by ross not actual indignation

I shared the tweet because I thought it was amusing. I don't know how Tom Ross actually felt about it.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

whydirt posted:

It kind of reminds me of Kamigawa actually, where Wizards created a Japanese mythology set only to later discover everyone just wanted anime land.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

Star Man posted:

I shared the tweet because I thought it was amusing. I don't know how Tom Ross actually felt about it.

Unless you’re 80, I don’t think crying emoji is the face of righteous indignation

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Fanatic knight and gingerbrute are gonna slot right into cavalcade and it’ll remain a tier two deck that gets a lot of dumb wins that I love very much

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

AlternateNu posted:

It already has been? There are infect decks and some wonky double striker decks floating out there.

I'm talking about in Standard.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Playing Bolt Bend in a format with cards like Thought Erasure and Chandra's Triumph is annoying as gently caress.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Anyway, if I was to do a Green Knight card it would probably have indestructible or something and an ability that causes target creature to first deal damage equal to power to the Green Knight, and then the Green Knight deals damage equal to it's power to target creature.

Thus your opponent can potentially kill it with a trick, but otherwise you get the usual story of the Green Knight letting his opponent swing first, nearly kill him (only a sliver of skin keeps his head on his body) and then swing back to kill them.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

nrook posted:

It kind of reminds me of Kamigawa actually, where Wizards created a Japanese mythology set only to later discover everyone just wanted anime land.
?? People liked the flavor at the time, it's just that everything felt overcosted and underpowered compared to what came before and afterwards. Well, besides Jitte.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Lord_Magmar posted:

Anyway, if I was to do a Green Knight card it would probably have indestructible or something and an ability that causes target creature to first deal damage equal to power to the Green Knight, and then the Green Knight deals damage equal to it's power to target creature.

Thus your opponent can potentially kill it with a trick, but otherwise you get the usual story of the Green Knight letting his opponent swing first, nearly kill him (only a sliver of skin keeps his head on his body) and then swing back to kill them.

I'd probably give it flash and indestructible on the turn it ETBs.

Flash for the flavor of you're just trying to enjoy your holiday party when this rear end in a top hat comes in and wants to have a cutting off heads contest, and then to add insult to injury he turns out to be a cheater.

And/or maybe give him indestructible but "Equipped creatures your opponents control are indestructible." For the garter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
are we gonna have a lancelot and his betrayal card?