Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

colonelwest posted:

Yes, just mail $3,000.00 in cash to an address in the Cayman Islands that I will PM you, and you’re in commando!

ty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Friends, the Warlord hasn't forgotten us. The checks are coming along with some great new posts. 2 weeks. 90 days tops. How do I know? I was behind the delivery truck today.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Dementropy posted:

Star Citizen? We Don't Know Yet.

Kinda seems like they should have gone with loading screens tbh, since they basically have de facto loading screens what with their 20 minute travel times.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Beet Wagon posted:

Kinda seems like they should have gone with loading screens tbh, since they basically have de facto loading screens what with their 20 minute travel times.

But loading screens would not be equally fast for everyone... If, say, you had an expensive Intel Optane SSD, you would be able to load faster, and that would be pay2win.

And you can't win Star Citizer.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

Friends, the Warlord hasn't forgotten us. The checks are coming along with some great new posts. 2 weeks. 90 days tops. How do I know? I was behind the delivery truck today.

You can tell that is the official FUD truck because it has a working cargo ramp. :D

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Sarsapariller posted:

I didn't save them, they were just screencaps of a file unpack that had a bunch of waypoints and scripts with revealing names.

Meanwhile in other dev shops:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G28MzVADeeI

Ah, I was hoping for a video of leaked build with Crobo singing "Dancing Queen" in the background.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Just want to say, this thread is great. I have only paid a little attention to SC drama in the past, but the full scope is a little staggering.

This reminds me, I bought Interstellar Marines a long rear end time ago in Early Access, and was so in to it I even bought a 4-pack for my friends. I messed around with some of the multiplayer awhile ago but it ran like rear end on my PC, and then promised campaign never materialized outside of a few levels with very basic objectives and weird AI. It was fun and had promise, but everyone hosed off I think. Haven't checked in ages.

What I'm saying is that I wasted $20 bucks on a game that went nowhere, and I still feel like it offered a more complete gaming experience than SC.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dementropy posted:

Star Citizen? We Don't Know Yet.

Wait, 12GB?!

:lol: what the gently caress

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Zushio posted:

Just want to say, this thread is great. I have only paid a little attention to SC drama in the past, but the full scope is a little staggering.

This reminds me, I bought Interstellar Marines a long rear end time ago in Early Access, and was so in to it I even bought a 4-pack for my friends. I messed around with some of the multiplayer awhile ago but it ran like rear end on my PC, and then promised campaign never materialized outside of a few levels with very basic objectives and weird AI. It was fun and had promise, but everyone hosed off I think. Haven't checked in ages.

What I'm saying is that I wasted $20 bucks on a game that went nowhere, and I still feel like it offered a more complete gaming experience than SC.

:agreed:

Star Citizen is making gaming history. Just not in the way backers think.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I want to see someone run a private SC server

And give out all the ships for free.

Imagine the Crobbers reaction.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Is Gary Oldman still/back in Squadron 42? I'm not up to date on the last couple of years or so, but the last I heard he got out of the project.

I'm fairly out of the loop of multi-player games other than Vermintide. Are there games that have interesting gameplay with multi-crew vehicles? Manning a turret while the pilot is flying evasive 3d maneuvers sounds miserable, but I'm curious what decent developers have come up with in this regard.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/890Jump/status/1171948469214429184

Zushio
May 8, 2008

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I want to see someone run a private SC server

And give out all the ships for free.

Imagine the Crobbers reaction.

I was actually wondering about this. Is part of the problem they are trying to find a way to make private servers impossible? It's a long shot, but with the current setup it would be absolutely vital in the long run.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Hannibal Rex posted:

Is Gary Oldman still/back in Squadron 42? I'm not up to date on the last couple of years or so, but the last I heard he got out of the project.

I'm fairly out of the loop of multi-player games other than Vermintide. Are there games that have interesting gameplay with multi-crew vehicles? Manning a turret while the pilot is flying evasive 3d maneuvers sounds miserable, but I'm curious what decent developers have come up with in this regard.

:gary: is still somewhere in Squadron 42. Where? Noone knows because noone has seen even one bit of that game for years.

Technically Space Engineers has the gameplay you're describing, but you have to build your own vehicles. Also Barotrauma to some extent, but in 2D. But it's all happening on a submarine manned and maintained only by the players.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Zushio posted:

I was actually wondering about this. Is part of the problem they are trying to find a way to make private servers impossible? It's a long shot, but with the current setup it would be absolutely vital in the long run.

I mean don't you still download the whole game, sever and client when playing? If someone skilled enough cared enough, we'd have SC Private Servers for a while now.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Zushio posted:

I backed it too.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/236370/Interstellar_Marines/ - forever early access, and the pioneers of the Crobbers style.

I was a pre-laptop theft Project Zomboid supporter, too. Its been a rocky road.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I actually am really disappointed in the failure of Interstellar Marines TBH. It was pretty much my dream game from the pitch.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zushio posted:

You literally can't make private servers impossible. You can only make them exceptionally difficult. Building the custom wow server was laborious; but people got it done.

There's nothing CIG can do that other people can't do. (True of all game studios, especially true of this one)

Kikas posted:

I mean don't you still download the whole game, sever and client when playing? If someone skilled enough cared enough, we'd have SC Private Servers for a while now.

No, you don't. They don't have to release the server code and it doesn't have to run locally. Any game serious about hacking will have a thin client and try to keep as much logic server-side as possible.

But, there's nothing preventing you from doing a clean-room implementation of the server to spec. Its a big pain in the rear end to reverse-engineer but it can be done.

E: But it won't happen here because the only people who care about SC are the people paying for it already. There's not enough people who want a private server for SC to get the work done.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 12, 2019

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Hannibal Rex posted:

He was out for a while recovering from the frostbite on his shoulder where Sandi touched him, my understanding was he dipped out pretty early. Rumors at the time stated it was something to do with his search results looking like this:

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 12, 2019

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

If I had gotten more enjoyment out of Star Citizen than any other game I had ever played, I'd probably quit videogames altogether tbh.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Sarsapariller posted:

God, they're seriously adding a fourth snub fighter?

What is even the point of these loving things? Fighters that have to be transported by another ship- in a game where you still can't transport fighters in another ship. Brilliant!

Eh, it's probably a way to appease people who are dreaming about functional docking mechanics. If it fits into some kind of special docking socket with a scripted animation, then they can claim to have working hangars.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kikas posted:

This seems like a job for *that* Kazan!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Agony Aunt posted:

Indeed.

Ok, so they claim to be open development and this is part of the marketing surrounding that, letting the backers know how they are changing things, but if they think this is going to improve things they are insane. If they can't handle 3 month release cycles they are not going to handle the much more complex "staggered" 6 month cycles.

Sure, it will give them more time on specific features, they can spend more time in QA (and therefore increase the amount of time on each feature!) but they are going to be walking on glass in relation to their codebase.

Its going to increase the risk of regressions massively unless they separate tasks out between the two development branches very carefully. Imagine if a dev on the "A" branch makes a change to a method that the "B" branch is not aware of until time it comes to merge.

I will forgive the thread this time with regards to your faulty memories and bad opinions about my hairstyle but I must interject.

THEYVE ALREADY ATTEMPTED STAGGERED RELEASE DATES.

It loving flopped and then went back to fully developing on patch. Bonus points if you remember how they initially focused everyone on Star Citizen then switched to Squadron 42 for lile 8 months and then split and then refocused the team AGAIN

rePool
Apr 18, 2019

Undercover Goon.

So long and thanks for all the fish
https://twitter.com/Jorunn_SC/status/1170447512454520832

I'm not even sure what to make of this. Why are we lining up a bunch of overpriced ships for yet another screenshot?

Not understanding the purpose aside from it being the only thing these guys can think of doing with a ship that has no role.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Remember the Fawlty Towers episode where Basil's wife gets pissed at him and fucks off on the same day he had a party planned for their anniversary? He spends the rest of the episode constructing more and more elaborate lies explaining her absence - that she's very ill, and can't see the guests, but she's totally there and everything is fine, eventually he dressed up Polly as his wife and turns down the lights and tries to pass her off to the guests. One guest gets too close and gets bitten before she can reveal the ruse. Things spiral further and further into the absurd in true series fashion.

Star Citizen is the game development version of that episode.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

rePool posted:

I'm not even sure what to make of this. Why are we lining up a bunch of overpriced ships for yet another screenshot?

Not understanding the purpose aside from it being the only thing these guys can think of doing with a ship that has no role.

It's important to maintaining a healthy cult to have periodic meetings for everybody to reaffirm their life choices.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
its pretty cool they got the whole server together for a screenshot

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

rePool posted:

If this wasn't space, you could ramp them. But since this is SC, the most fun thing you could do with such a lineup is ram something into it. Maybe there's no firepower in the game to damage it, but surely there's something with enough mass.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Sarsapariller posted:

* Travel to the "Jump Point" which could be the first hint that they are actually going to try to stand up a second solar system in the game and try to use the single new wormhole as some kind of prop to sell "Exploration" gameplay. It'd basically be like exploring the tram from Ironforge to Stormwind.

This would actually kind of make sense, they said they hit the limit with what they can add to the current system (Hurston?) and couldn't add anything new without removing something... A new system with a loading screen disguised as a jump animation could allow them to add new things.

Then again, last time I played attempted to play, the inital load-in was over 5 minutes... then again, again, they've conditioned the backers to be used to long travel times...

My guess is that it'll be another sand worm. Looking kind of good but completely fabricated BS.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I think the problem is server side? They can't do a new system without xX~SSOCS~Xx because they need to be able to shift you to another server.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
So, like half the post in the r/starcitizen sub are about the newest "caudillo" helmet that has just been released. Like, whoa! so cool.

Also, lol:

Hey! The 890 is the fastest ship. Who could have guesasfas434ejskfldsf

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Beet Wagon posted:

I will never understand the Citizen's pathological hatred for loading screens. Most games I've played have some form of loading screen and it's like... it's a thing that exists. Who cares? As long as it's not every 5 minutes then it doesn't matter, what matters is how good the game between the loading screens is.

Or poo poo, just do what DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 3 et al did and put a hilarious button-mashing mini-game in the loading screen. Yeah Vegeta, do those pushups! Yeah Goku, eat those bowls of rice! Yeah Gohan, pull those swords!

Why the gently caress do I remember what all the loading screen mini-games were, I haven't played that game in years.:sweatdrop:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Saladin Rising posted:

Or poo poo, just do what DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 3 et al did and put a hilarious button-mashing mini-game in the loading screen. Yeah Vegeta, do those pushups! Yeah Goku, eat those bowls of rice! Yeah Gohan, pull those swords!

Why the gently caress do I remember what all the loading screen mini-games were, I haven't played that game in years.:sweatdrop:

Namco Bandai has a patent on loading screen minigames, that's why noone else can do them.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

rePool posted:

So correct me if I'm wrong, but that's a display of a minimum of 11k sunk into Star Citizen there.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

You could fly the yacht for 'free' on the second degree test server if you paid your fan club dues

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

rePool posted:

If that is actually in game then i'm pretty amazed. I had assumed the servers would poo poo a brick with so many big ships in the same location.

Wonder what the FPS was like.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

He talks a lot of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

G0RF posted:

Chris and especially Sandi are in hiding now. It’s not in question.

Sandi has appeared twice in 2019, and on both occasions in bit parts. She used to co-anchor a weekly show AND have her own weekly sketch infotainment like “Sandi goes to Flight School” and “Empire Report” (starring Beck Rossum!) Plus she’d do walk-on appearances on Reverse the Verse sometimes too.

Chris had “10 for the Chairman” and all his other appearances. He’d do Wing Commander Q&As with Ben. He’d do “meet the developer” sit downs and show those golden fingertips through which godcode flowed...

Those days are long gone. Chris may show up once a quarter for a show. He puts in the absolute bare minimum time he has to to keep fans from assuming he’s flown to his own non-extradition island escape. But ever since they talked Calder into writing that nearly $50 million check for Squadron marketing, they’ve all but vanished.

This is good for Star Citizen.

:lol: :eonwe:

Chris is too busy though, he's busy coding SSOCS late into the night. This was confirmed by people who talked to him at the exclusive dinner thingy.