Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

A Handed Missus posted:

bonus leaky mosquito

Not a British engine without an oil puddle under it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

FuturePastNow posted:

Not a British engine without an oil puddle under it

Rolls are like Pratts. You start worrying when there ISN’T a puddle of oil under it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Okay, this is getting kinda silly at this point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNoETCRi_20

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Okay, this is getting kinda silly at this point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNoETCRi_20

At this point, you could build a homebuilt for the price. But whether you'd want to sit in it is another question...

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

MrYenko posted:

Rolls are like Pratts. You start worrying when there ISN’T a puddle of oil under it.

Jay Leno said, and I think he was talking about his Rolls, "if there's no oil under it, there's no oil in it"

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That looks bigger than a Cri-cri.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

FuturePastNow posted:

Jay Leno said, and I think he was talking about his Rolls, "if there's no oil under it, there's no oil in it"

The pilot of the An-2 I had a flight in (with a Soviet-built, Polish-installed, Hungarian-maintained copy of a Wright R1820) said that it had an 'inbuilt safety feature' of running out of fuel just before it ran out of oil. And the oil tank was something like 35 gallons. Obviously the pilot was exaggerating for comic effect, but judging from the drip trays, the amount of oil purged from the bottom cylinder, the air intake and the exhaust collector ring in the pre-flight, the perpetual blue exhaust haze and the general oily gunge collecting around the gaps in the cowling panels, it clearly wasn't by much.

Old air-cooled radials with some hundreds of hours on them seem to really start burning and leaking stuff.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

A friend was on this. A goose or geese ingested by turbine; turbine runs anyway

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

I hope it was a Canada goose because gently caress those honking making GBS threads bastards

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

BalloonFish posted:

The pilot of the An-2 I had a flight in (with a Soviet-built, Polish-installed, Hungarian-maintained copy of a Wright R1820) said that it had an 'inbuilt safety feature' of running out of fuel just before it ran out of oil. And the oil tank was something like 35 gallons. Obviously the pilot was exaggerating for comic effect, but judging from the drip trays, the amount of oil purged from the bottom cylinder, the air intake and the exhaust collector ring in the pre-flight, the perpetual blue exhaust haze and the general oily gunge collecting around the gaps in the cowling panels, it clearly wasn't by much.

Old air-cooled radials with some hundreds of hours on them seem to really start burning and leaking stuff.

Speaking of radials...

This was taken from underneath / inside the landing-gear nacelle of a B-17:

This, and the Liberator next to it, had liberal oil patches under all 4.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

I didn't know Abbotsford had a big airport. According to Wikipedia it's seen ~25% growth each of the past two years.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Charles posted:

I didn't know Abbotsford had a big airport. According to Wikipedia it's seen ~25% growth each of the past two years.

Yah Westjet and now other discount airlines have really been ramping up. Handy for all the Fraser Valley folks too.

Similarly I think Bellingham gets a lot of business for the cheaper fares for canucks flying to a US destination.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

PainterofCrap posted:

Speaking of radials...

This was taken from underneath / inside the landing-gear nacelle of a B-17:

This, and the Liberator next to it, had liberal oil patches under all 4.

The 1820s on the -17 have (I think? It's been a while) 37 gallon oil tanks per engine. Growing up working on them I just remember that they dripped like a motherfucker and refilling 150 gallons of oil was.... Fun...

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

priznat posted:

Yah Westjet and now other discount airlines have really been ramping up. Handy for all the Fraser Valley folks too.

Similarly I think Bellingham gets a lot of business for the cheaper fares for canucks flying to a US destination.

As someone who flies into BLI a lot, you're completely right, since it's way cheaper than Vancouver to several US destinations.

That said, Alaska has announced they're abandoning all their direct Hawaii flights from BLI (despite having a monopoly there, and the flights being consistently full), so I assume forcing people to connect through SEA will drive some of that business back to YVR.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Spaced God posted:

The 1820s on the -17 have (I think? It's been a while) 37 gallon oil tanks per engine. Growing up working on them I just remember that they dripped like a motherfucker and refilling 150 gallons of oil was.... Fun...

Are you old as dirt or related to someone at Fantasy of Flight? :)

Did you have an oil feeding system like a lube shop (tanks and hoses hanging from the ceiling)?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

azflyboy posted:

As someone who flies into BLI a lot, you're completely right, since it's way cheaper than Vancouver to several US destinations.

Great Falls and Kalispell Montana are pretty much 50%+ Canadians as well for the same reason and I personally prefer it. Not only are the flights cheaper, you can park within walking distance of the terminal for a downright reasonable fee. Last time I flew from Kalispell I parked within 150' of the door. I think it was a whopping $40 week or something like that. For us in Lethbridge, the driving distance is only slightly longer (10-20 min?) and the land border/airport security is far preferable to the potential airport mayhem.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I like Vancouver international but driving to it is absolutely ridiculous with how convoluted the best route can get. Everything is fine until you hit Richmond which is just such a chore.

I tried the new YVR version of park n fly last time and overall I think I prefer the OG park n fly. With the YVR one you gotta go out and hunt the car down after getting the keys from a locker instead of just walking off the shuttlebus right to your car all ready with the keys in it.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

madeintaipei posted:

Are you old as dirt or related to someone at Fantasy of Flight? :)

Did you have an oil feeding system like a lube shop (tanks and hoses hanging from the ceiling)?

Lol I'm a tiny baby child, turning 23 next month. I worked with Yankee Air Force, Collings, and EAA. Most of the poo poo I did was pax related but I right seated every blue moon and helped with ramp work. We just used Jerry cans full of oil

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Yo I heard jet fuel can’t melt steel beams C/D

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Arson Daily posted:

Yo I heard jet fuel can’t melt steel beams C/D

i immersed a steel beam in a barrel of jet fuel and it hasn't melted yet

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Bit of help here? Is this the world's ugliest Spitfire or something else?

WT Wally
Feb 19, 2004

Hawker Hurricane?

simble
May 11, 2004

It probably is the world's ugliest spitfire, except they call it a hurricane. Could be something else though that picture is pretty terrible.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
The overall shape of it is a hurricane, but there's either some kind of video/lens distortion going on or they built it out of spare parts from other unrelated aircraft.

e.g.

I don't know exactly what this was made out of but it certainly isn't purebred P-40

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Never mind!

The plane is a prop over the stage at an Iron Maiden concert. I assumed it was a solid model but I was just informed that it's a loving inflatable, which obviously means the lines aren't necessarily going to match reality. Bruce Dickinson referred to it as a Spitfire, hence the confusion.

Mr. Funny Pants fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 12, 2019

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Never mind!

The plane is a prop over the stage at an Iron Maiden concert. I assumed it was a solid model but I was just informed that it's a loving inflatable, which obviously means the lines aren't necessarily going to match reality. Bruce Dickinson referred to it as a Spitfire, hence the confusion.

AAAAACESSS HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGH

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Not quite *Aeronautical* insanity, but definitely *some* kind of insanity: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuYIbYVLF4k

Might want to turn your headphones/speakers down for this one.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 12, 2019

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Sagebrush posted:

The overall shape of it is a hurricane, but there's either some kind of video/lens distortion going on or they built it out of spare parts from other unrelated aircraft.

e.g.

I don't know exactly what this was made out of but it certainly isn't purebred P-40

Well that sent me down some weird google rabbit holes.

It's a replica made entirely from scrap that some dude in North Carolina built at home, then it was brought to a small airfield in Carthage and is parked outside a BBQ joint.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Yep, I knew about it because I went to that BBQ place (The Pik-N-Pig) once and wandered up to the plane out front and was like :psyduck: trying to figure it out

Very good BBQ incidentally. I have some relatives in the area so someday I want to rent a plane and fly in.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Great Falls and Kalispell Montana are pretty much 50%+ Canadians as well for the same reason and I personally prefer it. Not only are the flights cheaper, you can park within walking distance of the terminal for a downright reasonable fee. Last time I flew from Kalispell I parked within 150' of the door. I think it was a whopping $40 week or something like that. For us in Lethbridge, the driving distance is only slightly longer (10-20 min?) and the land border/airport security is far preferable to the potential airport mayhem.

God drat, I don't even like to go to the airport that's 40 minutes' drive instead of 20.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Sagebrush posted:

Yep, I knew about it because I went to that BBQ place (The Pik-N-Pig) once and wandered up to the plane out front and was like :psyduck: trying to figure it out

Very good BBQ incidentally. I have some relatives in the area so someday I want to rent a plane and fly in.
Pik-N-Pig is amazing. We used to fly in there for dinner before night training sorties from time to time.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Speaking of the B-29ski, I heard an anecdote once emphasizing the strictness of the reverse-engineering that I’m not sure quite passes the sniff test and I wonder if anyone else has heard it too—

On top of the well-attested stuff like needing delicate permission from Stalin to use standard Soviet parachutes instead of perfectly replicating the American ones, supposedly one of the interned B-29s had empty circular sockets at some crew stations. The Soviets guessed that it was a mounting bracket for some top-secret piece of kit that the Americans had dropped into the ocean or otherwise made special and successful efforts to conceal or destroy, and the Americans were keeping mum. In any case, they dutifully included the circular mounting bracket in the Tu-4, just in case.

They were, of course, if the story is to be believed, field-modified cup/thermos holders.

Russia had at least 3 planes to work with, so all the "lol, they duplicated misdrilled rivet holes/mismatched chromate paint, etc." are all pretty obviously made up.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Not quite *Aeronautical* insanity, but definitely *some* kind of insanity: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuYIbYVLF4k

Might want to turn your headphones/speakers down for this one.

Ok when is this coming to the hyperloop??

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Cocoa Crispies posted:

God drat, I don't even like to go to the airport that's 40 minutes' drive instead of 20.
I don't either, but if it saves $300+, I'll make an exception.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-49664560

quote:

Two freefalling parachutists nearly collided in mid-air with two US fighter planes travelling at almost 350mph (560km/h), a report has revealed.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Meat missiles.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Where the footage at

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Airliner pilot spilled coffee and it shorted a panel to the extent it melted buttons and produced smoke

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Thats pretty bizarre. I've actually been to the tests for different fluid spills on aircraft stuff. Its definitely a standard part of the qualification process of electrical panels in cockpits. Usually its coffee, coke, water for drinking fluids.

EDIT: They'll do a long list of fluids, DO-160 has a list of common ones, though they don't always do that test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

Who leaked my workplace accident to the press :mad: