Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Nanigans posted:

Someone in this thread (I think a few) said Chinese tourists tend to go to Chinese places. There was some discussion about it.

Nothing a mainland tourist likes more than going to another country, eating only at Chinese restaurants, and complaining that the food is bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Can confirm. My dad's from Shanghai, mom's Taiwanese.

Lol actually my dad's pretty good but each vacation he does insist on eating chinese for one meal at least.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Bloodnose posted:

Thanks for this. I grabbed that one. How'd you find out about it?

I have friends in the bay area who keep track of this and who know that I want to know about any deals to Japan.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Well I guess pass em on to us. Bay area would be great for me :thumbsup:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

Nothing a mainland tourist likes more than going to another country, eating only at Chinese restaurants, and complaining that the food is bad.

I'm going to visit all stores of the Japanese bakery chain Andersen and eat their Danish pastries, and complain they are nothing like the pastries made in bakeries in Denmark.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Every trip so far, I've forgotten to try some super obvious snacks and drinks that are very easy to check off a list. What else should I add to it that involves basically no additional effort?

So far it's: Strong Zero, Taiyaki, Mochi (I've had this at home but having it while actually in Japan would be a thing) and I've been told I have to try Kirin Peach, and bring some home if I can.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Walk into a convenience store and buy something you haven't had before?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Phone posted:

i really wished i knew about this :(

e: looks like it's still up. $1400 PDX to NRT with JAL, dates in November/December and in June.

Wait what

This is either code-share with Delta or a new addition.

[Edit] Yep it’s code-share with The Nicest Flight, DL 69. Nothing like 10 hours in a 767 to fly over to Tokyo. At least it’s moving to Haneda next year along with all of Delta.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Sep 12, 2019

Foreign Substance
Mar 6, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I like aquariums and loved the one in Osaka, are there any others in Honshu or Kyushu that are good?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

nah

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Foreign Substance posted:

I like aquariums and loved the one in Osaka, are there any others in Honshu or Kyushu that are good?

Nagoya has a decent one but it's basically just Osaka's but smaller and with less whale sharks.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So what you're saying is I should go see the Nagoya one first

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Question Mark Mound posted:

Every trip so far, I've forgotten to try some super obvious snacks and drinks that are very easy to check off a list. What else should I add to it that involves basically no additional effort?

So far it's: Strong Zero, Taiyaki, Mochi (I've had this at home but having it while actually in Japan would be a thing) and I've been told I have to try Kirin Peach, and bring some home if I can.

うまい棒

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Shibawanko posted:

うまい棒
T...tasty rod?

edit: Oh wait I've had one of these before, it wasn't great.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

People are just going to list stuff you have had already had if you don't write what you've already ticked off. But here's some fairly obvious ones: Dorayaki, various dango, Ume-Shu, Karintou, weird umeboshi candy, vegetable/consomme flavour crisps/snacks like Jagariko, ramuen.

Stringent posted:

Walk into a convenience store and buy something you haven't had before?

Better to just roll with this imo, why let other people dictate what you should or shouldn't try. Just pick what piques your interest.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Jeza posted:

People are just going to list stuff you have had already had if you don't write what you've already ticked off. But here's some fairly obvious ones: Dorayaki, various dango, Ume-Shu, Karintou, weird umeboshi candy, vegetable/consomme flavour crisps/snacks like Jagariko, ramuen.

Better to just roll with this imo, why let other people dictate what you should or shouldn't try. Just pick what piques your interest.
Fair point! Although most of the things you listed were stuff that I wanted to try but had forgotten about (especially dango). My list is pretty big now so thanks for the help! I'll pick a few things at random in convenience stores too.

Foreign Substance
Mar 6, 2010
Grimey Drawer
If you go to Miyajima try the momiji manju I guess? I like oyaki, too, but those are more like a meal depending on how many you get.

The thing I ate that most surprised me last time I was in Japan was an unassuming bento from Takasaki station in a ceramic pot (toge no kamameshi), it was delicious.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

T...tasty rod?

edit: Oh wait I've had one of these before, it wasn't great.

You clearly just haven't eaten enough of them to find your flavor.

But seriously, seconding Stringent. Just grab more stuff while you are in the convenience store. There is way too much stuff to list and from the sounds of it you've barely scratched the surface.

That said, my personal recommendation is cod cheese. But thats because I have an unholy desire for more processed cheese sandwiched between dried sheets of cod.

.Z. fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 12, 2019

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Fair point! Although most of the things you listed were stuff that I wanted to try but had forgotten about (especially dango). My list is pretty big now so thanks for the help! I'll pick a few things at random in convenience stores too.

Remember to get an American Dog

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Foreign Substance posted:

If you go to Miyajima try the momiji manju I guess? I like oyaki, too, but those are more like a meal depending on how many you get.

The thing I ate that most surprised me last time I was in Japan was an unassuming bento from Takasaki station in a ceramic pot (toge no kamameshi), it was delicious.

hot take the momiji manju in miyajama taste like poo poo. Even from the super expensive place (the other stuff is way better).

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Magna Kaser posted:

wait i reread your post do you think mainland chinese tourists go to Japan to go to a Chinatown?

of course they do?

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
This is only tangentily related, but once I saw a Chinese tour group go to an ice cream shop in Kyoto with a vending machine checkout system, where the tour group leader kept screaming that the items she was entering herself were wrong, and yelledspoke into the face of the poor teenager working the front about how each of the 30 tickets she had printed needed to be slightly different in different ways.

I will never forget the look of repressed seething anger in that teenager's face. Priceless.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Yawgmoft posted:

This is only tangentily related, but once I saw a Chinese tour group go to an ice cream shop in Kyoto with a vending machine checkout system, where the tour group leader kept screaming that the items she was entering herself were wrong, and yelledspoke into the face of the poor teenager working the front about how each of the 30 tickets she had printed needed to be slightly different in different ways.

I will never forget the look of repressed seething anger in that teenager's face. Priceless.

rich tapestry of 5,000 years of cultural evolution on full display anytime china shows up

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

nielsm posted:

I'm going to visit all stores of the Japanese bakery chain Andersen and eat their Danish pastries, and complain they are nothing like the pastries made in bakeries in Denmark.

Does that mean I have to go visit Ikea stores wherever I go and then complain that the meatballs just don't taste the same?

Maybe try the Sakeru Gummy things from the Long Long Man commercial that got popular on Youtube?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Bofast posted:

Does that mean I have to go visit Ikea stores wherever I go and then complain that the meatballs just don't taste the same?

Maybe try the Sakeru Gummy things from the Long Long Man commercial that got popular on Youtube?
Actually imported one of those as a Valentine’s gift for my partner a while back. Its longness doesn’t make up for the so-so taste.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Gonna throw in a few more famous ones, should be available at any combini.
Alcohol:
-Compare the Suntory's Strong Zero to Kirin's Strong Hyoketsu (look for the "diamond cut" can of the latter)
-the stronger canned kaku highball from Suntory. The regular version 7% abv is poo poo and includes lemon-flavored spirits, but the 9% strong version is made with malt and grain whisky. Highballs are generally better with ice so get one of the to-go ice cups from the freezer (the one which has bags of ice) as well

Snacks/chips:
-Yamazaki Lunch Pack, maybe try peanut first
-Baby Star ramen, though you've likely already had this
-Karl? Or is it Carl. Basically a relaxed Cheetoh. On that note, also...
-Tongari Corn, compare to Fritos
-Calbee Ebisen if you are good with shrimp
-Toppo and Pretz. Pocky is a bit overplayed
-Tohato Caramel Corn, somehow better than actual caramel corn
-Pizza potato. If pizza and potato chips had a baby, it's basically this

Ice cream
-Yukimi Daifuku mochi and vanilla ice cream
-Choco monaka Jumbo is all of the joy of a Klondike without the loving hassle. I usually open the package and let it soften for 5-10 minutes before eating it.

Otsumami for when you're drinking the chuhai and/or highball
-kakipi, short for "kaki no tane + peanuts," a quintessential otsumami. If you like wasabi try and find the wasabi-flavored kaki no tane, they are amazing
-Cheeza, like a cheez-it but drastically closer to actual cheese

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

zmcnulty posted:

-Cheeza, like a cheez-it but drastically closer to actual cheese

Seconding these things, they kick rear end.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Is November too cold for going to the beach around Tokyo?

Are there any good beaches around Tokyo?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Supposed to be cold this year so yes likely too cold to even just sit there and enjoy it in November. You could find a beachside onsen though (Atami is first that comes to mind), and just hop in the onsen while looking at the beach.

As for good beaches, pretty much the only ones are on Tokyo's islands, or maybe Shimoda.

Grand Fromage posted:

Seconding these things, they kick rear end.

username checks out

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 12, 2019

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Actually come to think of it, my group does have a ryokan booked and it is overlooking the ocean.

Good enough! If it's not too freezing maybe we'll check out a nearby beach there. It's on Awaji Island so it should be nice.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

zmcnulty posted:

Supposed to be cold this year so yes likely too cold to even just sit there and enjoy it in November. You could find a beachside onsen though (Atami is first that comes to mind), and just hop in the onsen while looking at the beach.

Can this be a day trip from Tokyo? I've never been to the Hakone area onsens but I'm taking my trip in November with a Japan first-timer and an onsen should probably be on the agenda. Beachside sounds nice.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Easily, Atami is like 90 minutes away from Tokyo. Accessible via Shinkansen too. There are lots of ryokans that offer daytime packages, just pay more money and it includes lunch, time in a private onsen, private room, etc.

I usually go here. Right on the beach: http://www.nagahamaen.com/
Day packages are here: https://www.jalan.net/yad371695/dayuse/

That said Atami isn't really the Hakone area, it's a bit further down the peninsula.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the links, that does look easy. Is Hakone itself a little more convenient then? I've never done an onsen resort so it'd all be new to me. I just want it to be an easy jaunt from Tokyo and something that would impress a first timer.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Hakone is geographically closer to Tokyo, but considering there's no shinkansen and the 30-40 minutes you'll spend on the mountain train to get to many places, it could take slightly longer get to your ryokan. Still very doable as a daytrip though, plenty of places there offer daytrip packages as well.

There's the lake, and depending on which onsen you go to--weather permitting--you can see Mt. Fuji from the bath. Higher elevation also means it will be cooler, which makes it easier to sit in a hot onsen for longer.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Got to see a helicopter land at the defense department.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

zoom zoom

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

zmcnulty posted:

Gonna throw in a few more famous ones, should be available at any combini.
Thanks for these too! Gonna skip anything cheesey, though my friend is obsessed with Cheeza. Legit never heard of Baby Star Ramen in my life so I'll keep an eye out. Probably gonna skip the canned Kaku highball you mentioned. Super can't stand whisky!

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Hakone is a bit better equipped to handle tourists that can't speak Japanese than Atami in my experience, just throwing that out there.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Anybody aware of a parcel forwarding service that can accommodate delivery other than by JP? I'm trying to get two oil lighters off of Rakuten because I can't find brick and mortar resellers for love nor money.

The sellers on Rakuten don't ship abroad, I can't get them while I'm still here because they are shut on weekends and holidays (incl. this upcoming Monday?). The parcel forwarding services I've looked at won't accept it because they say that JP post won't accept oil lighters, even though they are new, empty and sealed. But clearly these shops are selling them online for delivery, so it's obviously possible.

Do I just need to find a less scrupulous/more flexible service? Or is my only option to have it delivered to a real person in Japan who can forward it for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah that looks like a lighter-specific problem and not a Rakuten/forwarding one. And yes this Monday is a holiday.