Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

I want to emphasize that not all TG Kickstarters have to be "for me" and that's fine. There are plenty of things that I don't back and a few things that I do. But aside from the setting and concept of the game, which is fun enough, it's not interesting enough for me to look up the mechanics of pbta and figure out what that is, then go back and figure out how these deck of cards are supposed to function with it.

When I look at a boardgame KS, which is admittedly what I look at the most, I look at the concept, the general mechanics, then read the rules before I back it. This KS only has the concept and maybe the general mechanics except that it uses another game as a basis for comparison. Like would you, or anyone else, buy a boardgame that only talks about how it plays by saying "It's a COIN game, but with xyz" and says nothing else than that? Something with that specific language without further explanation immediately says to me, "This KS is not for me," which you may be okay with, and that's fine. This is, of course, just my perspective, and I totally get if I'm just being overly critical/lazy, but that's the impression I get from the KS.

I think I get where you're coming from, and I don't really think you're being overly critical - I work and play in a sort of bubble and having impressions outside of that is helpful.

I initially didn't include any expansion on PbTA for a few reasons - I've not seen other PBTA TTRPGs spend a lot of/any time explaining what Apocalypse is or does, it's a very popular system right now, it's not really my game, I wanted to focus on what makes this special and unique, etc. I def wouldn't buy a board game like that, but I have bought board games that were rethemes or reskins of previous games based on similar pitches - which is, imo, a little closer to what's going on here.

But I think a page of, uh, spirited discussion is more than enough to tell me I could at least link to the Dungeon World SRD somewhere in the opening section, along with a quick "it uses 2d6" sort of thing somewhere. No harm, and if it helps catch the odd person, it'll be worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

How did they miss putting the poo on the #2?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

GrandpaPants posted:

I want to emphasize that not all TG Kickstarters have to be "for me" and that's fine. There are plenty of things that I don't back and a few things that I do. But aside from the setting and concept of the game, which is fun enough, it's not interesting enough for me to look up the mechanics of pbta and figure out what that is, then go back and figure out how these deck of cards are supposed to function with it.

When I look at a boardgame KS, which is admittedly what I look at the most, I look at the concept, the general mechanics, then read the rules before I back it. This KS only has the concept and maybe the general mechanics except that it uses another game as a basis for comparison. Like would you, or anyone else, buy a boardgame that only talks about how it plays by saying "It's a COIN game, but with xyz" and says nothing else than that? Something with that specific language without further explanation immediately says to me, "This KS is not for me," which you may be okay with, and that's fine. This is, of course, just my perspective, and I totally get if I'm just being overly critical/lazy, but that's the impression I get from the KS.

I wanted to check here but what I'm getting from your post is that in order for you to back a kickstarter on a tabletop RPG you have no basis for or points of comparison on, you would need a breakdown of the concept, the general mechanics, and all the rules before you backedit?

If so would reviewing the Dungeon World System Reference document sufficiently cover the general rules? Would the concept or game-specific rules need to be broken down in more detail than the preview descriptions or is there a different level you'd expect?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Nuns with Guns posted:

I wanted to check here but what I'm getting from your post is that in order for you to back a kickstarter on a tabletop RPG you have no basis for or points of comparison on, you would need a breakdown of the concept, the general mechanics, and all the rules before you backedit?

If so would reviewing the Dungeon World System Reference document sufficiently cover the general rules? Would the concept or game-specific rules need to be broken down in more detail than the preview descriptions or is there a different level you'd expect?

I'm not the one you're directly asking, but I posted a similar sentiment so I'll answer as well.

For me, I don't need a detailed breakdown of the rules (LANCER got me to pledge before I ever looked at their available rules), but I do need to know what I'm looking at just by reading a Kickstarter pitch. Having System Reference Document linked would be better than just saying it's a Powered by the Apocalypse game, IMO, but better still would just to include a quick "What does that mean?" section where you describe the general goals and high level gameplay of the Apocalypse World system in a paragraph or so. I don't need a dissertation, but I'd at least like to know what your goals are. Definitely don't just throw an acronym at me unless it's absurdly ubiquitous and not even really an acronym any more, like D&D or NASA.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Isnt the latest Reaper Bones supposed to be today?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Unoriginal Name posted:

:skeltal: More unpainted minis!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Nuns with Guns posted:

So to give an idea, my process for Fragged Regions (link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wadedyer/fragged-rpg-regions/description ) was:

1. Saw post about it here, which serves as a curation step since I'm not really keyed into any TTRPG stuff. For Kickstarter specifically, it affords some degree of pedigree and assurance that they are (probably) not going to run off with my money.
2. Looked at the KS, ironically enough skipped past what the KS was actually for since I had no context for it, saw the "New to Fragged" section, watched videos to familiarize myself. Interest grew. The colorful, vibrant art helped here, which is something else that I found lacking in the other KS.
3. Asked about the system in-thread, got linked to the F&F review for Empires. Read through it, got a sense of how it plays mechanically, was interested enough and thought the value was good enough to put money down on the KS.

So while Nemesis of Moles got through the first curation step*, the KS wasn't substantive enough to push through the second step. Lancer went through a similar process (but had a lower barrier of entry because I loving love K1BD). I don't have an expectation of the full rules (although the more information available the better, of course), since unlike a boardgame, a TTRPG IS basically the rules. But I do have an expectation for basic mechanics, flow of the game, even if it's a crunchy system or rules light game.

And in the end I'll read the rules and settings and imagine the games that I'll never play because nobody else I know is going to go through the effort of reading the rules and the cycle of hope and disappointment begins again.

*Please don't think I'm picking on you or something. Your project seems cool, just not for me.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 6, 2019

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.

Unoriginal Name posted:

Looks like they're launching on October 1.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

djfooboo posted:

:skeltal: More unpainted minis!

rattle me bones! I could use more things to never paint!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
PbtA is about as much a guarantee of quality as d20 was back in the day, i.e. not at all. There are a lot of PbtA games that have no clue how PbtA actually works (and DW is one of these) and you should never back a PbtA kickstarter without a preview copy of the rules.

Conversely, don't make one without that preview copy either. :v:

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Fantastic stl files for sci-fi/industrial terrain. $5K more and we get a freighter with a playable interior.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cochin-industrial/cochin-industrial-district-3d-printable-world-building/description

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Zurai posted:

I'm not the one you're directly asking, but I posted a similar sentiment so I'll answer as well.

For me, I don't need a detailed breakdown of the rules (LANCER got me to pledge before I ever looked at their available rules), but I do need to know what I'm looking at just by reading a Kickstarter pitch. Having System Reference Document linked would be better than just saying it's a Powered by the Apocalypse game, IMO, but better still would just to include a quick "What does that mean?" section where you describe the general goals and high level gameplay of the Apocalypse World system in a paragraph or so. I don't need a dissertation, but I'd at least like to know what your goals are. Definitely don't just throw an acronym at me unless it's absurdly ubiquitous and not even really an acronym any more, like D&D or NASA.

That's fair. I do think tabletop RPGs have a bad habit of listing whatever system they're built on without explaining what that means to the uninitiated. It's something I've noticed a lot with PbtA, but I think that's exacerbated by coming from it all originally being basic hacks and house rules that 100% depended on having the Apocalypse World rules on-hand to be playable. Nowadays a lot of people still assume familiarity with Apocalypse World and even refer people to read its rulebook for advice on other games, even though a lot of PbtA are standalone publications and potentially even incompatible with it in tone, genre, or rules. There's even two growing spinoff rules systems that are different enough to have developed their own labels that carried over the same "see X master game if you need more advice" attitude.

Dungeon World itself has a huge PDF made by SA on advice for how to run it because of how inadequate everyone felt the actual rulebook was at teaching you the game.

GrandpaPants posted:

So to give an idea, my process for Fragged Regions (link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wadedyer/fragged-rpg-regions/description ) was:

1. Saw post about it here, which serves as a curation step since I'm not really keyed into any TTRPG stuff. For Kickstarter specifically, it affords some degree of pedigree and assurance that they are (probably) not going to run off with my money.
2. Looked at the KS, ironically enough skipped past what the KS was actually for since I had no context for it, saw the "New to Fragged" section, watched videos to familiarize myself. Interest grew. The colorful, vibrant art helped here, which is something else that I found lacking in the other KS.
3. Asked about the system in-thread, got linked to the F&F review for Empires. Read through it, got a sense of how it plays mechanically, was interested enough and thought the value was good enough to put money down on the KS.

So while Nemesis of Moles got through the first curation step*, the KS wasn't substantive enough to push through the second step. Lancer went through a similar process (but had a lower barrier of entry because I loving love K1BD). I don't have an expectation of the full rules (although the more information available the better, of course), since unlike a boardgame, a TTRPG IS basically the rules. But I do have an expectation for basic mechanics, flow of the game, even if it's a crunchy system or rules light game.

And in the end I'll read the rules and settings and imagine the games that I'll never play because nobody else I know is going to go through the effort of reading the rules and the cycle of hope and disappointment begins again.

*Please don't think I'm picking on you or something. Your project seems cool, just not for me.

That makes sense, though the Fragged Empires expansion has the advantage there of being a first party rules supplement. It's building on a successful and established base setting by the same company that originated it. They also have the money from prior successes to afford some premium art upfront that helps communicate the unique features of the game's setting. I don't know how many rough components or art pieces Nemesis of Moles had finished for the game (couldn't look at it yesterday and it looks like the page was removed now), but being a smaller operation they are probably planning on commissioning a lot of the art after the kickstarter money is in-hand.

For tabletop RPG kickstarters, I do like when there's a preview of some basic rules, and even a video demonstrating how they work in play. A lot (most?) of those kickstarters gate quickstart or beta test rules behind backing the game, and I think that's a good way to get buy-in.

With Dungeon World specifically, I'd like to know how the known weak points of the system are addressed by the rules.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Oh, where’s this DW pdf?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Scrape and Evil Mastermind's Dungeon World GM's Guide

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Even after all this time it still blows my mind that the Guide is still as popular as it is.

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

Lemon-Lime posted:

I would play a John Wick RPG where you make absurdly competent assassins and use gunfu to rampage through generic action movie mooks.

A page back, but have you seen One Last Job? Not quite "absurdly competent" but it really hits home with the reluctant return to "work" idea. And its super easy to mess with the system too. I have a Star Wars - Old Republic homebrew that I want to run with it at some point.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Even after all this time it still blows my mind that the Guide is still as popular as it is.

It's basically the GM section that DW doesn't have, and people still play DW.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Evil Mastermind posted:

You did good, kid.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

You did good, kid.

I always say that Scrape did the lion's share of the work. He's still the primary author.

That said, I really wish I knew how many downloads the Guide has all told.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I don't know how many downloads the guide had before, but since I re-hosted it to the current link, its had 552 downloads.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Lemon-Lime posted:

He's never been known as someone who is particularly good at designing systems, just as a dude who made some games that people liked despite the mechanical issues with them (L5R and 7th Sea).

Bear in mind the L5R system underwent heavy revisions by other designers to be massaged into something AEG felt was marketable in the first place.

Seriously, check those credits on the first edition if you have a copy, it's a trip.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
I don't know how many AoS goons we have in here, but this guy is making sweet kits to convert Stormvermin into various Clan Skryre units that look great. If he can get over the next couple of stretch goals, he'll make a Warlock Bombardier kit for peeps who didn't manage to catch Carrion Empire or just want an alternate sculpt.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/battlebits/battle-bits-ratmen-conversion-parts/

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
The Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood newsletter announced that there will be a Day 1 price of $99 for the standee edition of the game when the KS launches on 10/8. I know games do that sometimes, so I'm wondering if that means you have to put up the full $99 and can't just do the $1 reserve your pledge kind of thing? I'm wondering if today's launch of the Aeon Trespass Odyssey will have the same thing. edit: Yeah it has a free add-on for backing today so I wonder if that means the full $129 (this is the preview: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1492106834/407946890?ref=9ov821&token=37592c16)

If you put up the full amount, you can always back out right?

edit2: In the comments for Aeon, they've confirmed you can put up $1 and still get the Day 1 bonus if you up your pledge later.

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 9, 2019

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Honestly the appeal is largely gonna be for people who already have a passing understanding or knowledge of Dungeon World or at least Apocalypse world. We don't do a lot to mess with the underlying systems there, even the core Moves are going to be tweaked DW ones. The real juice is in the deck stuff, which is why I focused on it mainly, sorry to hear it doesn't grab you tho. Is there anything you think I could add that'd help that?

Gonna be honest, knowing your core moves are just gonna be the Dungeon World one’s with tweaks turns me off harder than anything. Core moves are what PBtA games live or die on and are the main way to reinforce the themes and narrative you’re going for...and you’re telling me you’re just gonna crib from someone else’s game, and one that didn’t get how to write good moves at that.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

Gonna be honest, knowing your core moves are just gonna be the Dungeon World one’s with tweaks turns me off harder than anything. Core moves are what PBtA games live or die on and are the main way to reinforce the themes and narrative you’re going for...and you’re telling me you’re just gonna crib from someone else’s game, and one that didn’t get how to write good moves at that.

Yeah. DW's Defy Danger is doubly-bad, because (1) it encourages everyone to argue for their best stat being how they defied the danger every time, and (2) it is contrary to game it's based on -- in D&D, each class is "better" at defying different kinds of danger.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
How do you make defy danger better? Doesn't the person running the game have DM fiat to veto/penalize someone claiming they're so wise they can dodge falling rocks or flex their way past a scything blade trap?

I always thought most of DW's mechanics were really just ways to get people engaged in the fiction instead of going "Poison attack? Okay uh, rolling at +8 I resist it."

Ohthehugemanatee fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 10, 2019

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

How do you make defy danger better?

Delete it from the game. Avoiding harm-as-established is already a consequence in most other moves.

A move that exists just so D&D players can roll dice because they expect to have to roll dice is intrinsically incompatible with PbtA.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 10, 2019

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
90% of Defy was just DEX anyway. Unless it’s magic in which case you could argue that it’s your wisdom or intelligence, whichever is higher.

I like how the upcoming Zorro D6 game put stealth under perception.
Spirit of 77 has taken a hit or get out-of-the-way, which limits it to plus hustle or plus might (which is a combination strength/toughness stat). If the players need another type of avoid danger, I generally just make them roll plus soul, because otherwise it’s a bit of a dump stat.

Act under pressure is better than defy danger because it’s single stat. Some people are really good at it (like the Haycon in cartel or the battlebabe in apocalypse world), other people have to choose: sacrifice other things, or be bad when the chips are down.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I totally agree that core moves make a pbta game, but the logic for us sticking closely to DW is that's the kind of moment-to-moment gameplay we want you to have alongside the card and deck stuff. I could entirely rewrite a set of moves but given that your actions are closely mirror how a DW game tends to go outside of the deckplay/cards stuff, it seemed a little pointless to spend a lot of dev time remaking the wheel, especially with how character moves are so wildly different in their implementation to any other pbta game.

Some areas we did feel would make for interesting changes largely revolve around the package itself as a resource, and how it effects your "rating", but it's not really anything massive.

Shifting our Defy Danger move to use only Dex is one of the core move tweaks we've discussed (as well as just straight up removing several of them that are better suited to Character Moves given the rapid cycling), fwiw, but Disposable kind of encourages more rolling than your average PbTA game by virtue of failed rolls leading to more character turnover, which is where the fun is.

All that said, if Dungeon World is really absolutely not at all your bag (which I guess is true of a lot more people in here than I thought!) I guess this isn't a game for you unless the roguelike, deckbuilder, 1-on-1 and theme elements overcome that distaste. Either way, I'm hyped for the 15th!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hey guys, do you remember that really truly honestly totally licensed Game of Thrones card game which went to KS a few times? There's been an update.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

...well, that's certainly an interesting criminal path.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Hopefully they accept the offer to go to the wall and not suffer the local lord's justice.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Looks like Amy Veeres ran off with the money from the Kamigakari: God Hunters kickstarter to fund her move, apparently. I don't think the link can be viewed if you're not a backer, but here's some cut and paste.

Noelle Siddall posted:

What's going to happen next?

I don't know. It largely depends on what Amy does next. If she's lying, nothing short of a full coming clean, a full apology, and then a full and complete accounting of what the state of the money is right now will satisfy me, personally. And even then I will likely demand she somehow account for the money going forward, such as signing someone else's name onto the bank account so they can monitor the whole thing, or even just transferring all funds over.

If she's not lying, the trick is that she is the sole owner, operator, and employee of Serpent Sea Games, which is what holds the Kamigakari license. If she decides not to give us the license, then there is little we actually can do. If she decides to give us the license, then Olivia and I will do everything we can to give you what you deserve.

What can you do?

Urge Amy to do the right thing. Either she can come clean, or she can give us the license so we can do what we can for you. Those would be the right things.

What you should not do is flame or harass Amy. Please, as a personal favor to me, please refrain from this behavior. Your frustration and anger are completely justified, and you are valid in feeling those things—I'm right there with you! But the internet tends to go a little overboard with these things. I would much rather have earnest pleas for the right thing to be done here than for the situation to get worse with the usual threats. This naturally goes for the rest of the group working on this game, too.

Assuming my access to publish updates isn't somehow revoked, I will try to stay in touch with you and let you know where we're at.

I'm so sorry this happened. It wasn't anything I wanted, for anyone involved.
It's not clear if Amy was telling the truth or not and what the actual situation is, but there's a good chance the project's DOA. And if so it's a drat shame as I know a few of the people working on it and they were definitely doing their hardest. :sigh:

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
I'm an editor on Kamigakari. I'm not sure how much I can say right now, but the statements made in the update Noelle posted are missing a lot of context, and that the conclusions drawn are inaccurate, and I expect the project to be fulfilled. Amy's been in the hospital.

demota fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Sep 12, 2019

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Well this is, uh... unfortunate, no matter what happened.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

In what context is "I spent it because I'm an absolute moron" and a zero-dollar balance not a deathknell?

Sathzur
Nov 19, 2009

moths posted:

In what context is "I spent it because I'm an absolute moron" and a zero-dollar balance not a deathknell?

It could mean "I spent all of my share of the money raised and have nothing at all left for basic essentials". Amy has often become stressed out during the campaign and after, hopefully, this is just her overreacting and she'll calm down soon

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Yeah, Grant just posted something about Kamigakari being functional, so I guess I'm going to not worry about it until I guess I should?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's in direct response to being asked about the $80k remainder of the KS money.

How am I'm seeing Amy is untrustworthy and lies a lot so everything is probably OK from multiple people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I'm not unsympathetic to mental illness, but I've seen reports from multiple folks that this is hardly the first time she's caused drama behind the scenes and the fact it's a pattern is supposed to be reassuring?

It'll be nice if it comes out but I'm not exactly expecting much at this point.