Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

A big flaming stink posted:

are we gonna have a lancelot and his betrayal card?

Hey everyone, look at the dork that read Le Morte d'Arthur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Seems as if the Arthurian legend theme is really resonating.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Pontius Pilate posted:

Seems as if the Arthurian legend theme is really resonating.

I'd rather have an entire set based on Arthurian legend rather than just a portion of it. It's just that only like five Americans know any of it.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

JerryLee posted:

I'd probably give it flash and indestructible on the turn it ETBs.

Flash for the flavor of you're just trying to enjoy your holiday party when this rear end in a top hat comes in and wants to have a cutting off heads contest, and then to add insult to injury he turns out to be a cheater.

And/or maybe give him indestructible but "Equipped creatures your opponents control are indestructible." For the garter.

Pity it's an un-set mechanic because Last Strike would definitely fit the Green Knight as a flavour thing.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Star Man posted:

Hey everyone, look at the dork that read Le Morte d'Arthur.

i dont know what that is

i watched the merlin miniseries with my mom

e: ok apparently the miniseries is based off le morte

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Sep 12, 2019

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

They should have made a set based on this King Arthur

https://youtu.be/gjbWDjzTM0A

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

i dont know what that is

Star Man posted:

It's just that only like five Americans know any of it.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

are we gonna have a lancelot and his betrayal card?

if there's a Lancelot card the adventure better be about riding in a cart

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

hey I watched the buffy the vampire slayer equivalent of that book!

thats really the most you can hope for american cultural knowledge

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Star Man posted:

I'd rather have an entire set based on Arthurian legend rather than just a portion of it. It's just that only like five Americans know any of it.

There was a musical about it, a lot of theater dorks know it as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-4YhsbClBU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Lord_Magmar posted:

Pity it's an un-set mechanic because Last Strike would definitely fit the Green Knight as a flavour thing.

Just have it say "creatures blocking or blocked by Green Knight get first strike". That's effectively last strike, only issue is if it hits a planeswalker or player but first strike generally doesn't matter there.

Didn't Lancelot gently caress Gweniverie and then get executed for it? Would be quite a sight to see a card about that

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Kalli posted:

There was a musical about it, a lot of theater dorks know it as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-4YhsbClBU

So like I said, only like five Americans have heard of it.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

no she got executed for it bc its the middle ages but he was so in love with her he went into a rage to stop it and wound up murdering a bunch of the kotr. then she becomes a nun and rejects him so he becomes a monk

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

JerryLee posted:

if there's a Lancelot card the adventure better be about riding in a cart

The shame cart

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Star Man posted:

So like I said, only like five Americans have heard of it.

So the next set should all be 9/11, Trump and guns references

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

fatherboxx posted:

So the next set should all be 9/11, Trump and guns references

At least people have heard of those things.

What I'm saying is that Arthurian legend is obscure outside of the UK and maybe France. Your average mass media consuming nerd might know that Lancelot was one of the Knights of the Round Table, but nothing else. No one's going to understand a card that's a reference to the Green Knight.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Star Man posted:

What I'm saying is that Arthurian legend is obscure outside of the UK and maybe France. Your average mass media consuming nerd might know that Lancelot was one of the Knights of the Round Table, but nothing else. No one's going to understand a card that's a reference to the Green Knight.

Sure, except I'm Australian and you don't need to know the reference for a card to be good. The Green Knight could be a good legendary and a good reference without the people even recognising the second part. The reference just becomes something people who do know the reference can share with those who do not.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
https://twitter.com/LuisSalvatto/status/1171932183545753600?s=19

https://twitter.com/ValimarMTG/status/1172076941047934976?s=19

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

nrook posted:

It kind of reminds me of Kamigawa actually, where Wizards created a Japanese mythology set only to later discover everyone just wanted anime land.

This keeps getting repeated on SA, and it isn't even true. Granted, I was on hiatus from the game during that period, but all my friends just bitched about Jitte.
Watch, in 5 years, everyone will be saying people rejected the Arthurian part of Eldraine because it wasn't filled with Saber-face. >_>

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

AlternateNu posted:

This keeps getting repeated on SA, and it isn't even true. Granted, I was on hiatus from the game during that period, but all my friends just bitched about Jitte.
Watch, in 5 years, everyone will be saying people rejected the Arthurian part of Eldraine because it wasn't filled with Saber-face. >_>

it's what maro says their market research found, iirc

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

This is something good to do with your Food tokens, even if you don't have any explicit food synergy.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I love the chivalric romances, but if they actually leaned into it we'd just have Lorwyn all over again.

"what the gently caress is a girdle?"

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Rinkles posted:

it's what maro says their market research found, iirc

I don't doubt that some people didn't really like the weird art and flavor with the Kami, but underpowered set that sells like poo poo after a broken one is about as fundamental to magic as a 2/2 for 2 mana.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Star Man posted:

Uhhhhhhh maybe you've heard a little indie film called The Sword in the Stone, thanks there is actually very little of the Arthurian myth in that movie

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
That film just came out "The boy who would be king", I watched it on an aeroplane recently, it was aight.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

When everyone says nobody knows anything about Arthur my first reaction is 'What about that Sean Connery movie?' but I guess a lot of Magic players weren't even alive when it came out.

teddust posted:

I don't doubt that some people didn't really like the weird art and flavor with the Kami, but underpowered set that sells like poo poo after a broken one is about as fundamental to magic as a 2/2 for 2 mana.

Apparently it tested poorly on basically every metric, from flavor to mechanics. When they want to do not-Japan again, they should probably just start over.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Star Man posted:

Yeah I’m sure all the mtg geeks had a deep understanding of Greek lore before Theros and knew what a caryatid, crocota, or eidolon was. People know enough to get the theme going and they can learn more through the cards.

Personally I’m just interested in seeing how WOTC tackles the healing of sir Urry in such a set. I’m sure it’ll be hamfisted and generic and not get the point but I’m still interested.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
https://twitter.com/sickofit/status/1172134077589159936?s=19

50 card limited deck is op apparently.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

the kamigawa problem was partially mechanical and partially flavor. I mean ninjutsu is an all-time cool mechanic and there was plenty of power in Betrayers, but soulshift and splice are really parasitic, Bushido encourages swinging past each other, and channel, sweep, and offering barely exist at all. Also, “have lots of cards in your hand” as a theme is miserable. Plus they made lots of legendaries because that was the theme but made them all have extremely weird, narrow abilities because that was how legendaries usually worked back then.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Stangg posted:

That film just came out "The boy who would be king", I watched it on an aeroplane recently, it was aight.

A guy Ritchie Arthur film came out either last year or two years ago. Plus there was that Merlin series.

Plenty of Arthurian stuff still gets made for pop culture. Americans just don't get into Arthurian Legend. Or most fantasy stuff at all, really. Lotr and Harry Potter were odd exceptions

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Between Game of Thrones and Harry Potter, I am pretty done with high fantasy, though The Magicians is super cute.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Tubgoat posted:

Between Game of Thrones and Harry Potter, I am pretty done with high fantasy, though The Magicians is super cute.

There are some decent things out there. Brandon Sanderson is a decent author who isn't a weirdo about women and treats writing as a job, not a hobby.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

jassi007 posted:

There are some decent things out there. Brandon Sanderson is a decent author who isn't a weirdo about women and treats writing as a job, not a hobby.

He also drops into LSVs stream from time to time and happily fields questions about his books and writing from an army of nerds.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
put date masamune into mtg

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
https://twitter.com/Theasianavenger/status/1172112350620446721

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

TheChirurgeon posted:

A guy Ritchie Arthur film came out either last year or two years ago. Plus there was that Merlin series.

Plenty of Arthurian stuff still gets made for pop culture. Americans just don't get into Arthurian Legend. Or most fantasy stuff at all, really. Lotr and Harry Potter were odd exceptions

I just remembered the recent Robin Hood film which is a a transparent Iraq war allegory down to a crusader using a flare arrow to call in a catapult strike during a house to house archery battle

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

MikeCrotch posted:

I just remembered the recent Robin Hood film which is a a transparent Iraq war allegory down to a crusader using a flare arrow to call in a catapult strike during a house to house archery battle

One of the many, many problems with that film was that it couldn't pick a lane as to whether or not it wanted to lean into the campy anachronism or not. Like the Sheriff of Nottingham's guards had ye old timey riot shields and poo poo.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

when life gives you angels, make angel food cake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Kenrith family

Tainen fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 12, 2019