Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

lilljonas posted:

Lots of food will last 2-3 days in the fridge, even if you can't freeze it.

Pretty much anything will last a week in the fridge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/RosamundUrwin/status/1171864228879372289?s=19
https://twitter.com/RosamundUrwin/status/1171873763295682560?s=19
https://twitter.com/RosamundUrwin/status/1171874438620602375?s=19

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
From a friend who's a Labour councillor there.

quote:

On 10th September the Labour Group on North West Leicestershire District Council presented a motion stating that, in the face of the risks to the quality of life a no deal Brexit might bring down upon to the people of North West Leicestershire, the council should write to our MP asking him to do would he could to prevent such a material risk.

As per a speech from a fellow councillor - we want to be able to look our constituents in the eye if it all does go tits-up (which is a very real possibility - see the Yellowhammer release!) and be able to say that we did what we could to protect their interests. Not unreasonable.

Now the Tories voted against it en mass, as you would expect. No surprises there. I mean, Cummings almost certainly knows where they live...

But then, step forward the Lib Dems. The "remain" party, from what the newspapers tell me. How did they react?

Well, the leader of the Lib Dems on the council (and probable Lib Dem candidate in an upcoming general election, by all accounts) gave a speech decrying the potential risks as "Project fear!" and that we need to "get on with it"! Oh really!

Then, of course, all the Lib Dem members on the council (I can only assume whipped) voted against the motion! A motion against a no deal Brexit. Oh my!

Didn't know you could get Lib Dems in no deal Brexiteer flavour these days. Still - now we know!

You can find the motion that was voted down here:
https://minutes-1.nwleics.gov.uk/ieListDocuments.aspx?CId=129&MId=2048&Ver=4

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Chucat posted:

I actually got bored and decided to read about this and it appears to be just:

A county fire service is not using Fireman Sam as their mascot and is using a team of anthropomorphic fire extinguishers instead, because they want something more diverse. The guy who made the change said the show is completely fine and if they changed the/his title to "Fighfighter Sam" they'd make him their mascot again.

And the FBU are fine with them dropping him as a mascot?

I was going to post about it yesterday but thought it was too dull. Guess who sparked all the outrage................piers morgan.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

All poo poo flows back to Piers Morgan. Preferably into his face.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I like all the suggestions for Lady Sybil so far. And I found out Elizabeth Spriggs has been dead for over a decade (she was Sybil in my head, from Simon and the Witch probably).

I m a bit cautious that they casta POC as Carcer, the evil character. Unless all the upper crust are going to be POC which would be hilarious.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Sloth Life posted:

I like all the suggestions for Lady Sybil so far. And I found out Elizabeth Spriggs has been dead for over a decade (she was Sybil in my head, from Simon and the Witch probably).

I m a bit cautious that they casta POC as Carcer, the evil character. Unless all the upper crust are going to be POC which would be hilarious.
Why are you cautious? Should POC not be allowed to play villains?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Captain Fargle posted:

EDIT: It's legitimately amazing how bad a choice that is. Was every black woman in Britain over 40 just suddenly unavailable or something?

As noted, makes perfect sense for Night Watch.

She's not canonically black in the books is she? I mean, as a ~miscegenator~ I'm down with it myself and I'm curious who they'll cast if they do a 'present day' version.

And yeah, what's wrong with a black bad guy? If that was the only black person on the show then yeah but we've just established that's not the case sooo

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

As noted, makes perfect sense for Night Watch.

She's not canonically black in the books is she? I mean, as a ~miscegenator~ I'm down with it myself and I'm curious who they'll cast if they do a 'present day' version.

And yeah, what's wrong with a black bad guy? If that was the only black person on the show then yeah but we've just established that's not the case sooo

With a couple of exceptions Pratchett never really mentioned (human) race at all, and in a few asides he mentions that Ankh-Morpork residents come in pretty much all colours (at the same time in the case of Nobby Nobbs).

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
The show that just cast a gender fluid actor to play a famously gender fluid role in a series famed for its sensitive portrayals of race, racism and jingoism will need nervous castigation for casting a BME actor in a major speaking role?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Age I can deal with, but Sybil should be fat - or at the very least plump, or wearing clothes to the effect of making her look more massive than she is. And yea rare isn't mentioned, I do kinda want them to make all the upper crust black and the working poor white.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Age I can deal with, but Sybil should be fat - or at the very least plump, or wearing clothes to the effect of making her look more massive than she is. And yea rare isn't mentioned, I do kinda want them to make all the upper crust black and the working poor white.

This is the 'Future' LIBERALS want!!!!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jose posted:

Pretty much anything will last a week in the fridge
As the Americans kept finding out in the 90s, kids don't.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

I do kinda want them to make all the upper crust black and the working poor white.
I don't, because that's what the BNP actually believes. Welfare aristocracy are the new bourgeoisie and all that poo poo.

Do it as Pratchett wrote, nobody gives a poo poo about race other than weirdos, but only because everyone else is too busy hating on trolls and dwarves and Pictsies.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Rarity posted:

I think the expectation is that it will be up today. It's taken longer for Sanitary Naptime to edit because we recorded a bonus episode last night, ya UNGRATEFUL LOUT.

But Rarity! I'm hungry for it because I want to hear you! :allears:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Just because someone is tubby in their 40s, doesn't mean they were as a teenager.

(Source: me :shobon:)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

feedmegin posted:

Just because someone is tubby in their 40s, doesn't mean they were as a teenager.

(Source: me :shobon:)

Or vice versa, source me. (not yet in my 40s tho, 38)

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Should I join Unison, Unite or UCU?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/tamcohen/status/1172042266195701761?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not sure we have enough nukes to solve brexit tbh, they couldn't even wipe the UK out let alone anyone else.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

fuf posted:

ucu, it is more focused

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

fuf posted:

Join whichever one has recognition in your workplace (probably UCU if you're in HE). And also IWW, you can dual card & there's an IWW industrial group for HE.

Also, if joining UCU, hit them up for a ballot paper like immediately because they sent them out last week and VOTE YES ON STRIKE ACTION AND ACTION SHORT OF A STRIKE. There's also a half hour stoppage on the 20th for the climate strikes, so hit up your branch secretary about that.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Josef bugman posted:

It'd be more like Ironbridge, a reconstruction but for people to walk round.

I think it'd be nice, buy a plot, find out if there are any hill fort remains, set up a community.

Maybe show how to go on a cattle raid.

This was just down the road from me growing up:

https://manxnationalheritage.im/our-sites/cregneash/

During the summer it's full of students who get paid minimum wage plus free accommodation to sit outside the houses spinning yarn or whatever.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

good thing we're definitely not doing nothing

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Huh maybe I should invest in a jerrycan ...

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

when Leviathan rises from the sea, we will be ready

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Today this morning seemed to be simultaneously talking up how bad yellowhammer is whilst downplaying its actual content: they really hammed up how bad less choice of food is, whilst failing to mention the catastrophic medicine shortages or NI situation, and emphasised (seemingly for balance) that there wouldn't be any energy problems though despite the redacted bit that we've now all seen.

Best possible reporting to help out Government imo, really playing into the whole "project fear" thing by hamming up the less scary stuff whilst also downplaying the really bad poo poo completely. Shouldn't be surprised, but deliberately designing your pro-Government propaganda to look like you're scaremongering against the Government is loving sly

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

The Lone Badger posted:

That looks like very poorly designed gear. Dark fabric is bad enough but... metal buttons? Are you fzcking kidding me?

What would you use? Wood?! :monocle:

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
Case Nightmare Yellowhammer

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

The Lone Badger posted:

That looks like very poorly designed gear. Dark fabric is bad enough but... metal buttons? Are you fzcking kidding me?

That's just for day-to-day wear. When fighting fires he dons a full-length ballgown covered in sequins. The idea is to blind the fire with luxury!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Borrovan posted:

Today this morning seemed to be simultaneously talking up how bad yellowhammer is whilst downplaying its actual content: they really hammed up how bad less choice of food is, whilst failing to mention the catastrophic medicine shortages or NI situation, and emphasised (seemingly for balance) that there wouldn't be any energy problems though despite the redacted bit that we've now all seen.

Best possible reporting to help out Government imo, really playing into the whole "project fear" thing by hamming up the less scary stuff whilst also downplaying the really bad poo poo completely. Shouldn't be surprised, but deliberately designing your pro-Government propaganda to look like you're scaremongering against the Government is loving sly

Maybe they just guessed (correctly) that non-diabetic English people are cunts who don't give a solitary gently caress about other people's insulin or what happens in NI. So not being able to buy European booze or whatever is the only relevant part of Yellowhammer for their oval office audience

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Let’s go nuclear. Enact Operation Yellowcake.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Yellowhammer = Orwell Mayhem

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They should sell the insulin producing bacteria alongside the homebrew stuff in Wilko's.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Stout.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl6TWGRcs6E

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/markcurtis30/status/1172066482706161664?s=19
https://twitter.com/markcurtis30/status/1172066500615778304?s=19
https://twitter.com/markcurtis30/status/1172066519670566912?s=19

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Not sure why everyone is shocked at the Sybil casting. TV will cast POC, TV will cast LGBT but TV will never not cast thin.

Ms Adequate posted:

But Rarity! I'm hungry for it because I want to hear you! :allears:

As I say to my sex buddies, prepare for major disappointment

Rarity fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Sep 12, 2019

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
https://twitter.com/TheBarofNI/status/1172063125295849472

It's amusing that our free press have decided that nothing happened yesterday
https://twitter.com/SunApology/status/1171910321335865345

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
So our glorious future is as a bomb factory for racists

Also our glorious present and past

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

sebzilla posted:

Yellowhammer = Orwell Mayhem

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Hey, if anyone else is wanting in on the podcast, make sure you're on the discord.
I don't know how many people we've got lined up for next week, the Lib Dem conference/ what we think of the EU special, but we have further episodes after that too.