Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TwoPair posted:

It's dumb but frankly I kind of like them more than any appearance of Joker and/or Harley Quinn that I've seen in years so gently caress it, if comics have to have crazy murder clowns, I say it's time for a new era.

Joker and Harley cna do thier own things separately. Harley has her BFF(WB?), Ivy and the Squad and Joker is Joker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Even more bat questions: How is the Dark Knights: Metal series or whatever it is? It looks like it's complete and available in 4 trade paper back editions and is supposedly really good if you're into Snyder's Court of Owls and Zero Year stuff. At least that's what I've been reading. Any thoughts on this series?

Edit: Also, is there a good website dedicated at least in part to show correct reading orders and which issues/TPBs to get for different runs? Getting into crossover stuff is always nerve wracking for me because I don't usually want to miss out on parts of the story and like knowing the easiest way to obtain a complete story in as few books as possible. Another reason why I'm a huge fan of the omnibus route.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Sep 6, 2019

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You ought to read Snyder's entire Batman run (including his pre-New 52 Detective Comics, if you follow Metal up with the Batman Who Laughs miniseries) and the lead-in issues first. It's all a build. You don't need to read any other Metal side-issues, though there are some fun dark Batmen one-shots.

Snyder's own mythic DCU world building with hidden truths and secret primordial super elements always put me off a bit, and Metal through the start of his Justice League is the absolute height of it, but he does do the big, crazy stuff comic books should do. Justice League is going bonkers right now and I'm glad I'm still reading even if I found Metal and No Justice a bit insufferable.

edit: I used to search series in comicvine.com which would list trades and what issues were in them, but I'm not sure if it's still updated.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Sep 6, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’ve read volumes 1-9 of Snyder’s nu52 run, Black Mirror, And volumes 1-4 of nu52 Detective Comics. Is that the right reading list or am I missing some?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The final two N52 issues are in Vol 10, and If you want more Snyder, he also did 'All-Star Batman' (not the Frank Miller one), but I can't remember if that's important to the whole Metal thing at all.
There are two lead-up issues to Metal, 'Dark Days: The Forge #1' and 'Dark Days: The Casting #1', and during Metal, 'The Wild Hunt' and 'Batman Lost' are good tie-ins. Don't bother reading the 'Gotham Resistance' mini.
'Justice League: No Justice' comes out of Metal and leads to Snyder's 'Justice League', and he also writes a 'Batman Who Laughs' miniseries where he reteams with the artist 'Jock' from his Detective Comics run.

You don't need to read anyone else's Batman. Snyder pretty much just uses his own stuff, though he involves the map of the multiverse from Grant Morrison's 'Multiversity' in Metal and Morrison co-writes the 'Wild Hunt' one-shot. It's not very important to read 'Multiversity', but it's a great, crazy thing on it's own.

edit: And not by Snyder, but a new 'Batman/Superman' series just started using Metal's Dark Multiverse stuff.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Sep 6, 2019

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
My own take on Metal is that it is convoluted as gently caress, it might make your brain hurt if you actually have to figure it out (including one bizarre scene where Batman tells Superman that he wasn't sending his rescue signal to tell Superman to come rescue him but sending out his rescue signal to tell Superman not to come rescue him), and involves a lot of world building that doesn't feel organic, even though it borrows quite heavily from Morrison's Batman run. That being said, Batman rides a freaking dragon while trying to kill a batgod, and it gets so over the top crazy with comic book nonsense that it becomes actually fun to read.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Madkal posted:

My own take on Metal is that it is convoluted as gently caress, it might make your brain hurt if you actually have to figure it out (including one bizarre scene where Batman tells Superman that he wasn't sending his rescue signal to tell Superman to come rescue him but sending out his rescue signal to tell Superman not to come rescue him), and involves a lot of world building that doesn't feel organic, even though it borrows quite heavily from Morrison's Batman run. That being said, Batman rides a freaking dragon while trying to kill a batgod, and it gets so over the top crazy with comic book nonsense that it becomes actually fun to read.

Metal is very Heavy Metal inspired basically.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I would recommend Metal to anyone who was a big fan -- not just a fan, but a big fan -- of pre-Flashpoint DC. 'Cuz like, yes, Rebirth technically "allowed" the post-Crisis DC stuff back in the books, but Metal was the first book to really take advantage and deep dive back into all the stuff that was available again.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Would also recommend it to anyone who see's any character and thinks it would be coolee if they were Batman

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

How do you store that many comics? I've seen lots of folks just have boxes and boxes of comics that get filed into the attic or some storage space somewhere. I actually enjoy reading and re-reading the books I buy and I think if I went the single-issue route I'd be more worried about ruining them and storing them than reading them. That's not meant to be a criticism as I find the hobby fascinating.

I have a set of about 40 DrawerBoxes (http://www.collectiondrawer.com) - 20 long boxes, and 20 short boxes. It's completely ridiculous, and I don't know what I'm going to end up doing with them all. The DrawerBoxes are incredibly well made and well designed, such that I can get access to stuff should I want it (I never do) but I like the act of collecting and organizing them all. I love single comics, but as others have said, a saner approach would be trades or digital.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So I’m about 60 pages (the first issue) into volume 1 of the Knightfall Omnibus. I’m already hooked. The art is a bit dated (not nearly as much as Death in the Family) but the writing is super punchy and to the point. Bane is immediately a much more interesting character than I believe he’d be. I dig him and see him, as he’s written, as a protagonist in a way. Or at least someone I want to root for. I like how they spent the time to delve into his backstory. I’m pumped to see where this goes.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

So I’m about 60 pages (the first issue) into volume 1 of the Knightfall Omnibus. I’m already hooked. The art is a bit dated (not nearly as much as Death in the Family) but the writing is super punchy and to the point. Bane is immediately a much more interesting character than I believe he’d be. I dig him and see him, as he’s written, as a protagonist in a way. Or at least someone I want to root for. I like how they spent the time to delve into his backstory. I’m pumped to see where this goes.

I just finished Volume 1, too, and really enjoyed it. I enjoyed the exhausted Batman tremendously. I like the art a lot - but Jim Aparo’s art was my first Batman when reading as a kid, so I have a different connection to the art. I still think Bane’s costume is ridiculous, though.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

I just finished Volume 1, too, and really enjoyed it. I enjoyed the exhausted Batman tremendously. I like the art a lot - but Jim Aparo’s art was my first Batman when reading as a kid, so I have a different connection to the art. I still think Bane’s costume is ridiculous, though.

I like Bane's original outfit. It's simple and works well.

chaosapiant posted:

Yeah he's much less of a brute then you would think he is.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Tom Taylor Suicide Squad confirmed
https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2019/09/09/a-new-suicide-squad-series-this-december-from-taylor-and-redondo

quote:

TASK FORCE X RETURNS IN A NEW SUICIDE SQUAD ONGOING SERIES

THIS DECEMBER
Bestselling INJUSTICE 2 Team of Writer Tom Taylor and Artist Bruno Redondo Reunite for the Wildest Version of the Squad Yet.

BURBANK, CA – (September 10, 2019) – The unlikeliest villains in the DC Universe are back in their grittiest incarnation yet as DC today announced plans for an all-new SUICIDE SQUAD ongoing series scheduled for December.

This new version of Task Force X is already full of changes, with new villains—any of whom could die on a mission or be dispatched by an all-new and mysterious leader who has replaced Amanda Waller. This Squad’s new mission is to neutralize a new group of international super-terrorists known as the Revolutionaries—and not everyone on either side will make it out alive! But when the U.S. government’s most deniable team of antiheroes realizes that the surviving Revolutionaries will be joining the Squad, that’s when the fireworks really begin!

According to an exclusive interview with The Hollywood Reporter, writer Tom Taylor talks about just how much he’s raising the stakes in this new series: “Truly, no one is safe, there’s a new regime, and this regime sees this team as assets and nothing more. They don’t care if they lose them in the field, they can always get more, and they DO get more.”

When DC’s most desperate villains are combined with new inmates of Belle Reve that Task Force X has been trying to kill, who can Harley Quinn and Deadshot trust? These misfits not only have to worry about surviving their next mission, but each other as well.

“Bruno and I have been working together for around eight years and he’s one of my favorite artists in the world,” said Taylor. “We speak the same storytelling language and we have the same storytelling values. Getting to create all new characters with Bruno for DC is a bit of a dream.”

The 40-page, $4.99 debut issue of Suicide Squad is scheduled to release December 18, 2019, written by Tom Taylor with art by Bruno Redondo, cover by Ivan Reis and Joe Prado, and variant cover by Francesco Mattina.

edit: Added a spoiler for a bit that may be giving away something coming up in Leviathan.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 10, 2019

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
harley quinn breaking glass was like, really good

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I know King gets flack for his Batman run but I really enjoy the way he writes Batman and Catwoman. This was one of those quiet issues which actually seems to stall the overarching story completely but I find myself enjoying these stories (like Date Night) more than the actual overarching story.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

i think i would like it if the context it's in was completely different and it made any sense at all

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The Bat and the Cat can't trust each other anymore.
The Bat and the Cat can't be happy together.
The Bat and the Cat don't love each other anymore.
[The Bat and the Cat are also The Knight and The Lion]
Maybe the Bat and the Cat love each other?
Maybe the Bat and the Cat can be happy together?
Maybe the Bat and the Cat can trust each other anymore?
The Bat is tired of lying.
The Cat is tired of lying.
The Bat is lying.
The Cat is lying.
Is the Bat lying?
Is the Cat lying?
TO BE CONTINUED
$3.99 please.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
so I guess DC decided to spoil that whole Superman/Batman "who are the infected heroes" mystery early, huh

https://screenrant.com/dc-comics-he..._campaign=SR-TW

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's not like anyone was demanding a Vicki Vale miniseries.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Barry Convex posted:

so I guess DC decided to spoil that whole Superman/Batman "who are the infected heroes" mystery early, huh

You know I generally haven't minded the Batman Who Laughs in Snyder's stuff, tryhard though it may be, but

quote:

That head was YEAR OF THE VILLAIN: HELL ARISEN. You know, HELL ARISEN stands for "HA." That was what it was on the board, these two things come together with "HA."

Jeeeesus Christ. :doh:

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Barry Convex posted:

If we're going off of solicitations, they spoiled 5/6ths of those in covers/promotional stuff that has already come out. Maybe all six and I've forgotten.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Edge & Christian posted:

The Bat and the Cat can't trust each other anymore.
The Bat and the Cat can't be happy together.
The Bat and the Cat don't love each other anymore.
[The Bat and the Cat are also The Knight and The Lion]
Maybe the Bat and the Cat love each other?
Maybe the Bat and the Cat can be happy together?
Maybe the Bat and the Cat can trust each other anymore?
The Bat is tired of lying.
The Cat is tired of lying.
The Bat is lying.
The Cat is lying.
Is the Bat lying?
Is the Cat lying?
TO BE CONTINUED
$3.99 please.

That Bat and Cat poo poo is infuriating and cringey as gently caress to read.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Edge & Christian posted:

If we're going off of solicitations, they spoiled 5/6ths of those in covers/promotional stuff that has already come out. Maybe all six and I've forgotten.

All of them were shown to be scratching their necks in the “Who are The Infected?” promo image.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Madkal posted:

I know King gets flack for his Batman run but I really enjoy the way he writes Batman and Catwoman. This was one of those quiet issues which actually seems to stall the overarching story completely but I find myself enjoying these stories (like Date Night) more than the actual overarching story.

Yeah I'm more invested in that part too, and the second annual was probably one of my favorite Batman comics ever. I think there have been other good parts of the run as well, but since 50 it's been pretty bleak, which is a lot of issues now, so I'm glad things are back on the upswing.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The Riddler YotV special was interesting if only because it's an attempt to refocus Riddler after King used him up. Obviously it doesn't quite mesh with City of Bane and the tone is very different than any of the current Batman lines (which makes sense since Russel is also currently on Wonder Twins and there's a lot of the same energy there).

Event Leviathan is also turning very much in to a spy story but there's a bit of Lane-wank (like a bit of Morrison's Bat-wank) given her also running with another detective team. I shouldn't be surprised since that's half the point of the event and Bendis even outright talks about it in interviews.

The return of Frankie in Gotham City Monsters seems like it has potential.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Was/Is Batman Eternal any good? Specifically the Batman Eternal collected in:

https://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/BATMAN-ETERNAL-OMNIBUS-HC/JAN190658

I realize taste is subjective but I'm not sure where this fits into the era of Morrison/Snyder/Tomasi. I generally liked what I read of those three authors on their respective books, but was not like, super enamored, but I also love buying gigantic doorstop books.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Some people liked it. I found it to be very unremarkable and forgettable.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It's quantity over quality.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I thought Eternal was horrible. Just week after week of poorly written bait-and-switches pretty blatantly designed to pull every Batman villain (and to reintroduce the ones that the N52 hadn't yet) and ally into splash panels.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Batman Eternal had fun cliffhangers and terrible payoffs.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

The Riddler YotV special was interesting if only because it's an attempt to refocus Riddler after King used him up. Obviously it doesn't quite mesh with City of Bane and the tone is very different than any of the current Batman lines (which makes sense since Russel is also currently on Wonder Twins and there's a lot of the same energy there).

Event Leviathan is also turning very much in to a spy story but there's a bit of Lane-wank (like a bit of Morrison's Bat-wank) given her also running with another detective team. I shouldn't be surprised since that's half the point of the event and Bendis even outright talks about it in interviews.

The return of Frankie in Gotham City Monsters seems like it has potential.

King's take on Riddler is garbage. Just another murder-man who says, "what is the difference between an x and a y?" before he shoots someone. If Russell is writing something different (and lighter/smarter/more interesting!) I'll definitely check it out.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Zachack posted:

Was/Is Batman Eternal any good? Specifically the Batman Eternal collected in:

https://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/BATMAN-ETERNAL-OMNIBUS-HC/JAN190658

I realize taste is subjective but I'm not sure where this fits into the era of Morrison/Snyder/Tomasi. I generally liked what I read of those three authors on their respective books, but was not like, super enamored, but I also love buying gigantic doorstop books.

It isn't going to blow your socks off, but it was enjoyable.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think Batman and Robin Eternal had a bit more of an interesting plot, plus it brought in Cass and had a few good Genevieve Valentine issues. It'd be cool if she came back. Really liked her Catwoman series.

Currently reading the Harley Quinn OGN and like site said, it's really good.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Sep 12, 2019

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Android Blues posted:

King's take on Riddler is garbage. Just another murder-man who says, "what is the difference between an x and a y?" before he shoots someone. If Russell is writing something different (and lighter/smarter/more interesting!) I'll definitely check it out.

It's definitely lighter, but Russell is more or less taking King's serious version with the goddamn question mark scar on his chest and doing an intro for whoever else picks up the Riddler to take him into a new direction. It could arguably also be a criticism of King's take since he has Luthor personally explaining why Eddie didn't get an upgrade like everyone else and it involves The Riddler's whole motives and schitck essentially being childish and immature.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

i wish there was anything happening in event leviathan at all considering it now has basically every DC character i really like in it

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
The Riddler issue is the first Russell comic in a long while that I've liked, and I think in a large part because it gets back to an element of pre-reboot Riddler that I liked-- that he's really too smart to just keep losing fistfights, and should eventually find something better to do with his time. Fingers crossed somebody at DC also has fond memories of his stint as an insufferable but generally benign private investigator.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I just finished Vol 10 of Snyder’s Nu 52 run. I’d also read volumes 1-4 of detective comics new 52 and black mirror. As well as the full “Joker: Death of the Family” book. On the whole, I really really loved Snyder’s run and hope Morrison’s continues to hold up as I read more. I know New 52 got a lot of flack, but the Batman stories all seem really solid. I also loved Batman Eternal vols 1-3.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Whomever came up with the name Event Leviathan should be fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012
I just read the first issue of Superman: Year One and really enjoyed it. Didn't think it was a Frank Miller book after the various Dark Knight books and ASBR. A pleasant surprise.