Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
I was think more of mecca being hidden inside everyone's rear end but that works too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Goast posted:

I was think more of mecca being hidden inside everyone's rear end but that works too

It may be in your rear end, as that's a place where everyone comes.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

im not owned i shout as i transform into a corn kabba

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
ten million bucks a pop for the pilgrimage to my rear end

if you can't afford it God says it's fine

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

how do you afford to live there if it costs that much simply to visit

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
someone come up with a good camel through the needle joke

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Ooh, baby, do you know what that's worth?
Ooh, Mecca is a place on earth.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/haaretzcom/status/1171027009654403073?s=19

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

the number of total people in the history of the world literate in linear A was probably extremely small, maybe even as few as a couple hundred or less according to a classics professor I had once.

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

twoday posted:

So, let's figure out what's going on with that wax covered in Greek letters at the shipwreck.

The idea of a Greek ship being shipwrecked on Mauritius in the 16th century is insane. Before the Suez canal was constructed in 1869 and allowed ships to travel from the Mediterranean to the Red Sea, the only route from Greece to Mauritius would have been across the entire Med, around the western and southern shores of Africa. Such a voyage would not have been pretty much impossible for anyone except the maritime empires of Europe at the time, and even then these voyages were only possible with massive amounts of financial support and state-level planning. Shipwrecks don't linger on a beach for thousands of years, so that wreck could not have been ancient Greek, and the 16th century Greeks didn't really have the resources to do this sort of thing. Who did?

dunno if this was mentioned already, but there was a canal before europeans built the current one

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canal_of_the_Pharaohs

twoday
May 4, 2005

quote:

FRAGMENT OF AN ANTHROPOMORPHIC BRAZIER

The Aztec were known not only for their sculpture, but also for their expressive and sensitive poetry. The sculpture and poem below provide a glimpse into ways that the cycles of life were portrayed. Look carefully at the sculpture. The three faces represent the cycle of life. In the middle we can see the face of a young man, with all his teeth and wearing an ornament between the nose and upper lip. On either side are two halves of the face of an old, toothless man; these two faces are framed by the symmetrically divided face of a corpse with its eyes closed. The thirteen decorative rings (four on the young man’s head, nine on the corpse’s) represent the parts of a calendar cycle.

Nezahualcoyotl, the poet-king of Texcoco writes:

I, Nezahualcoyotl, ask this:
Is it true one really lives on the earth?
Not forever on earth, only a little while here.
Though it be jade it falls apart, though it be gold it wears away,
Not forever on earth, only a little while here.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Oh hey its a chaos orb from Path of Exile

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Platystemon posted:

If they weren’t morons, why did they so massively overengineer that ring of supports?

They’re protected by the roof, so wood supports would last an awfully long time.

If stones are used, they needn’t be nearly so thick. Think of the concrete columns holding up modern buildings. That’s an upper bound on how large the verticals need to be.

In moderation, stone is an O.K. choice for the verticals
for the same reason concrete columns are used today—it’s very strong in compression. It’s a poor choice for the lintels because it’s weak in tension and the bottom half of the lintels are under tension.

Ancient people may not have put it in the same words, but people who could shape and transport stones of such immense size knew a thing or two about its properties. They knew they didn’t need such a volume of stone for support. They knew that the stone could be stacked rather than in monolithic blocks without compromising its strength. They knew that spanning a gap with a stone was kind of daft. They built like they did at Stonehenge not because it was the most practical way to build but because it pleased them to do so.

I mean maybe it pleased them to overbuild internal supports for a wood roof, but I tend to think that they didn’t quarry and move dozens of Davids just to hide them under a wooden façade.

So youre saying Stonehenge was an ancient trump resort?

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Actually after reading the thread it sounds like a lot of ancient structures were clocks?

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Centrist Committee posted:

Actually after reading the thread it sounds like a lot of ancient structures were clocks?

they definitely weren't. it's one of the things that drives me batshit insane. like why the gently caress would you spend 200 years moving stones to do something you already know how to do.

monumental structures almost certainly embody a bridge between an earthly and heavenly realm, and mirror astronomical phenomenon as a result. they're recreating heaven on earth. why the gently caress would you spend so long making a calendar for poo poo you already know is going to happen. I'm pretty drunk.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Timekeeping is one of the most fundamental inventions of human society, and its granularity has kept pace with our societies.

Do monumental structures mirror astronomical phenomenon as a result of embodying a bridge between earthly and heavenly realm, or is the bridge between the earthly and heavenly realm embodied by the astronomical phenomenon they mirror? Is there necessarily a separation between form and function?

Gothic cathedrals, I think, are a good analogy of why a people might spend centuries building huge stone structures to serve an already existing function. The cities building them already had houses of worship, but they spent decades to centuries of resources to complete this specific style of monumental cathedral. The form of the cathedrals was explicitly designed both to mirror the function they served, as well as extend it through analogy, while the financing and construction of them was itself a devotional task and community project.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

they definitely weren't. it's one of the things that drives me batshit insane. like why the gently caress would you spend 200 years moving stones to do something you already know how to do.

monumental structures almost certainly embody a bridge between an earthly and heavenly realm, and mirror astronomical phenomenon as a result. they're recreating heaven on earth. why the gently caress would you spend so long making a calendar for poo poo you already know is going to happen. I'm pretty drunk.

How would you know it it's going to happen if you didn't have a clock to tell you? :smuggo:

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Actually after reading the thread it sounds like a lot of ancient structures were cocks

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Tjadeth posted:

I think there's something very human about the fact that, even though I know the Mithraic mysteries were probably just some astrological cult stuff based on their burgeoning understanding of the precession of the equinoxes, or something equally useless to my modern life, I'm still desperate to know what the secret was

edit: also if anyone else has cool historical astronomy/astrology facts I've been on kind of a wiki binge for the past month or so and would be delighted to hear them

Only ones I remember involve Greeks and Macedonians getting owned by eclipses:

1) Nicias, Athenian commander of the Sicilian Expedition (which he argued against) during the Peloponnesian War (which he didn't want to fight and even arranged a peace for), is stuck in Sicily after the failed attempt to take Syracuse. He plans to have his fleet retreat back to Athens in decent order. However, there's then a lunar eclipse and Nicias, being pretty drat superstitious goes "Let's wait for a literal loving month before retreating". So the Syracusans merk the Athenian fleet and pretty much snowball into annihilating the entire Expedition.

2) Prior to the Battle of Pydna, there was a lunar eclipse. The Macedonians proceed to freak the gently caress out and treat it like an ill omen. Meanwhile, the Roman commander tells all his soldiers beforehand "There's gonna be an eclipse, so don't panic, it'll last like 30 minutes" and all the soldiers think he's a loving badass. (You might want to take this one with a grain of salt though).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
In March of 1504, Columbus and his men were abusing the natives of Jamaica and they’d just about had enough of it.

Columbus warned the natives that God wanted them to give Columbus and his crew a break and that he would inflame the Moon as a sign.

Sure enough, there was an eclipse, and Columbus got a reprieve he didn’t deserve.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Chucat posted:

2) Prior to the Battle of Pydna, there was a lunar eclipse. The Macedonians proceed to freak the gently caress out and treat it like an ill omen. Meanwhile, the Roman commander tells all his soldiers beforehand "There's gonna be an eclipse, so don't panic, it'll last like 30 minutes" and all the soldiers think he's a loving badass. (You might want to take this one with a grain of salt though).

Lol I like this one, got a source for it?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mycomancy posted:

its covered in plutarch and livy

fun fact, the battle commenced because a pack mule ran toward the roman lines and some Thracian greeks ran after it making the romans advance into battle.

10-20k greeks died, roman losses were minor; around 100 total. result of battle: fall of macedon

Real hurthling! has issued a correction as of 23:25 on Sep 12, 2019

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

mycomancy posted:

Yeah Livy has it.

quote:

When the fortification of the camp was completed, C. Sulpicius Gallus, a military tribune attached to the second legion, who had been a praetor the year before, obtained the consul's permission to call the soldiers on parade. He then explained that on the following night the moon would lose her light from the second hour to the fourth, and no one must regard this as a portent, because this [6??] happened in the natural order of things at stated intervals, and could be known beforehand and predicted. [7] Just in the same way, then, as they did not regard the regular rising and setting of the sun and moon or the changes in the light of the moon from full circle to a thin and waning crescent as a marvel, so they ought not to take its obscuration when it is hidden in the shadow of the earth for a supernatural portent. [8] On the next night-September 4-the eclipse took place at the stated hour, and the Roman soldiers thought that Gallus possessed almost divine wisdom. It gave a shock to the Macedonians as portending the fall of their kingdom and the ruin of their nation, nor could their soothsayers give any other explanation. [9] Shouts and howls went on in the Macedonian camp until the moon emerged and gave her light.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Are there any notable books or fairly recent articles discussing the main thread running though the Socratic dialogs as being the struggle to overcome the perverse values instilled by an education based mostly on Homer?

It seems relevant, with the trend in popular politics seeming to favor a speaker's ability to "pwn" their opponent rather than holding to consistent morality or a thought out plan of action. Guile, smooth deception, implacability, these seem like Homeric virtues and the exact sort of thing Plato was critical of.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Chucat posted:

Yeah Livy has it.

Wow, that implies that the dude had some sort of (at least partial) model of a heliocentric solar system. That's loving crazy!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

As he himself says, it's simply a matter of measurement and time. Even geocentric models recognised the Sun (of course, as all powerful it was) played a significant role in the passage of the planets, if not controlled them, and by 2CE these models were already almost identical to Copernicus' bar the important realisation that the Earth was not a fixed bystander to but a participant in the heavens.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mr. Dick posted:

Are there any notable books or fairly recent articles discussing the main thread running though the Socratic dialogs as being the struggle to overcome the perverse values instilled by an education based mostly on Homer?

It seems relevant, with the trend in popular politics seeming to favor a speaker's ability to "pwn" their opponent rather than holding to consistent morality or a thought out plan of action. Guile, smooth deception, implacability, these seem like Homeric virtues and the exact sort of thing Plato was critical of.

tangential but i can only speak at this from the small part of it that i am knowledgeable of, one very common idea in the ancient world you see repeated in a number of places is that written sources are bad for the mind. caesar views the gallic druid's holding of this belief as noteworthy to tell his readers, but a few centuries earlier plato himself tells us socrates held this position in the phaedrus.

socrates argues that writing his beliefs would weaken the memories of his students because they could just look poo poo up instead of learning and that in time his words would be dogmatic and used to silence freethinkers. the dialogs are perhaps platos best attempt at preserving his masters legacy while also abiding by his wishes.

the dialogs are philosophy in practice. they are a record of a conversation where an issue is debated rather than a set of precepts that can be followed. they are also rather dramatic and are excellent character studies of the various interlocutors so that everything happening is in a very well defined context for readers that give them their timelessness. trying to get answers out of literary socrates is frustrating; he is elusive, mainly debunking assumptions and eschewing sophistry in attacking the bullshitting, persuasive argument/rhetoric model you identify in homer and which was the core form of education for the the elite throughout antiquity.

the weed kicked it at the end someone tell me if i trailed off or made sense, sorry

Real hurthling! has issued a correction as of 02:20 on Sep 15, 2019

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mycomancy posted:

Wow, that implies that the dude had some sort of (at least partial) model of a heliocentric solar system. That's loving crazy!

They didn’t have to do any mathemetics to get some idea of what’s going on with the Moon.

The side of the Moon that’s bright is the side that’s closest to the Sun. This is most obvious when the Moon is a thin crescent, following the Moon at sunset or preceding it as sunrise.

As the Moon waxes, it moves farther from the Sun and the illuminated portion grows till you get a full Moon while the Sun is on the opposite side of the Earth.

The Moon wanes as it approaches the Sun from the west, now forming a crescent on the opposite side.

The ancients didn’t have to know anything about the composition of the Sun or the Moon or their relation in three‐dimensional space to make these connections. It makes sense even with a flat sky.

Eclipses happen when the Moon and Sun are exactly opposite in the sky (not passing north/south of the other’s antipode), and to get the timing right on that takes careful record‐keeping and mathematics.

The Sun might as well be a flat panel on the skybox, but the illumination of the Moon sure makes it look like a sphere.

From there, a person might get crazy ideas like Anaxagoras in the fifth century B.C., who said that the Moon was a sphere of irregular rock. He was less right about the Sun, which he thought was a burning rock and the source of meteors.

Speaking of spheres, if it is the Earth is casting a shadow on the Moon, why is that shadow a perfect disk? Why is it a disk on all lunar eclipses, seen anywhere in the known world? It starts to give a person ideas about the shape the Earth must take. Aristotle noted this circa 350 B.C..

None of this, however, gives reason to suspect that the sky isn’t flat and rotating around an immovable Earth, with the Sun, Moon, and planets sliding around on it.

We now know that Earth is a body not unlike Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn, so we call it a planet as well, but in antiquity, “planets” were literally “wanderers” because they move against the fixed stars.

The paths of these wanderers are peculiar, with Venus and Mercury behaving unlike Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn, none of the planets (or the Moon) quite following the same track twice, and and all of the planets at times reversing their ordinary motion. Looking into these paths is what leads to heliocentrism.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Real hurthling! posted:

the weed kicked it at the end someone tell me if i trailed off or made sense, sorry

You hit on the very thing Mr. Dick was trying to avoid. The best answer, the only really good answer, would be to devote some free time over the next few years to reread a bunch of the dialogs and take notes and spend time thinking about them.

That actually sounds super fun, Mr. Dick just wishes he had more time to devote to it.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets high as poo poo and pretends I can relate to people from thousands of years ago :2bong:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i dropped out of a classical literature phd because i wanted a job where i could afford weed and the masters they handed me one random day = good money on a school teachers pay table

Real hurthling! has issued a correction as of 03:27 on Sep 15, 2019

twoday
May 4, 2005

I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets high as poo poo and pretends I can relate to people from thousands of years ago :2bong:

:hmmyes:

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
i miss this thread but am too stupid to contribute please help

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

i miss this thread but am too stupid to contribute please help

Pick a field of study so obscure that there are only one or two books written about it. Read those books and you're done.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I ecpected this thread to be more about ancient attempts at socialism (early christian communities, the Gracchi?) and less about conspiracy theories.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Speleothing posted:

I ecpected this thread to be more about ancient attempts at socialism (early christian communities, the Gracchi?) and less about conspiracy theories.

I recall that one of the only reasons Greece was able to stand up against the Persians was that that (and this is a massive simplification so bear with me here) there were uprisings caused by the ossification of the Greek upper class.

The end result of these uprisings were land distribution reforms, the mass freeing of Greeks from slavery, and an overall redistribution of wealth. What does this have to do with the collective ability of Greeks to fight wars? Simple.

Fighting required wealth. You had to buy your own gear which meant that the more wealthy people you have the more soldiers you had. Likewise a family losing their fortune reduces the number soldiers because now they have to ditch their armor in favor of staying alive. The result was that the armies Greek city states could field went from topping out at the hundreds to reaching the thousands even for medium sized states because of instead of a few super wealthy families you had a bunch of well off families who were able to afford decent gear.

no I will not source my info fuk u

Agean90 has issued a correction as of 17:46 on Sep 25, 2019

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

anyway lol Sparta sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Mr. Dick posted:

Pick a field of study so obscure that there are only one or two books written about it. Read those books and you're done.

And can then proclaim yourself an expert in the field!