Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Is that a shaped charge on a stick?

There's all kinds of crazy suicide poo poo people do. The Wikipedia article about anti-tank warfare has a section on suicide attacks. China and Korea would both strap bombs to people and have them run up to a tank, lay down between the treads and then blow up when the tank rolled over them which exploited the weak underside armor of the tank. I guess you can't really complain to OSHA if your job involves blowing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Volcott posted:

Yes. Shitotsubakurai or lunge mine.

>The pokey bits are nails to ensure the proper standoff range for the warhead to function properly. The fuze was activated by a ripcord. So you'd have to run up, jam the thing at the enemy tank, then pull a cord to activate the warhead and probably kill yourself.

Yeah there's no ripcord.

quote:

When the legs of the mine hit the objective, the handle was pulled forward, cutting a pin and making the detonator move forward to the detonator charge. This would set off the mine, blowing up its user and, probably, the targeted enemy armour.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

loving gremlins :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZElJxTCIsJI

https://i.imgur.com/QUWlZTf.mp4

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah there's no ripcord.

I stand corrected, thanks for the assist.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Volcott posted:

Yes. Shitotsubakurai or lunge mine.

>The pokey bits are nails to ensure the proper standoff range for the warhead to function properly. The fuze was activated by a ripcord. So you'd have to run up, jam the thing at the enemy tank, then pull a cord to activate the warhead and probably kill yourself.

The thingy on his hat says "kamikaze" so that follows

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

That's not what "sticky bomb" means!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

NATO reporting name “Baka”

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Thank you for saving me from having to remember the name of that Bugs bit :allears:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That had some jokes I didn’t get as a kid, like the reference to Wendell Wilkie, Victory Through Hare Power, and Bugs’ heart marked “4F” (and highly unsuitable for the draft).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

There's all kinds of crazy suicide poo poo people do. The Wikipedia article about anti-tank warfare has a section on suicide attacks. China and Korea would both strap bombs to people and have them run up to a tank, lay down between the treads and then blow up when the tank rolled over them which exploited the weak underside armor of the tank. I guess you can't really complain to OSHA if your job involves blowing up.

The Soviets had a sharpened log used against them.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jerry Cotton posted:

That's some ewok poo poo

schmug
May 20, 2007

I somehow got down the youtube bee catching rabbit hole. enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpXTK0E7Gco&t=535s

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

shovelbum posted:

That's some ewok poo poo

Well, sharpened logs and booze so yes.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Well, sharpened logs and booze so yes.

A bit redundant, we know the tankers were Russian

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jerry Cotton posted:

Tank Archives (run by our very own Ensign Expendable!) had a story about a Soviet soldier stopping a German light tank with stuff like mud and branches. He clogged the engine vents so it would start overheating and jammed branches into the gun ports to prevent them from traversing. Eventually the crew compartment started filling with smoke from the clogged exhaust so they had to bail out.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

Tank Archives (run by our very own Ensign Expendable!) had a story about a Soviet soldier stopping a German light tank with stuff like mud and branches. He clogged the engine vents so it would start overheating and jammed branches into the gun ports to prevent them from traversing. Eventually the crew compartment started filling with smoke from the clogged exhaust so they had to bail out.

Yeah OK but that's too unlike a pencil for the tired joke to work.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

chitoryu12 posted:

The ole banana in the tailpipe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HktV2yGtLv8

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The safest mass fight you'll ever see. Vests, helmets, chairs flying...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz2s_2uCoE4

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

The Soviets used to train dogs to do this. Just spend a few weeks teaching them to run up and lay under a tank for treats, and then get them out on the battlefield with a bomb strapped to them.

The initial plan was for them to run up and leave the bomb and run away, but that didn't work so they switched to doggy suicide bombers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-tank_dog

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

PostNouveau posted:

The Soviets used to train dogs to do this. Just spend a few weeks teaching them to run up and lay under a tank for treats, and then get them out on the battlefield with a bomb strapped to them.

The initial plan was for them to run up and leave the bomb and run away, but that didn't work so they switched to doggy suicide bombers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-tank_dog

quote:

The first group of anti-tank dogs arrived at the frontline at the end of the summer of 1941 and included 30 dogs and 40 trainers. Their deployment revealed some serious problems. In order to save fuel and ammunition, dogs had been trained on tanks which stood still and did not fire their guns. In the field, the dogs refused to dive under moving tanks. Some persistent dogs ran near the tanks, waiting for them to stop but were shot in the process. Gunfire from the tanks scared away many of the dogs. They would run back to the trenches and often detonated the charge upon jumping in, killing Soviet soldiers. To prevent that, the returning dogs had to be shot, often by their controllers and this made the trainers unwilling to work with new dogs. Some went so far as to say that the army did not stop with sacrificing people to the war and went on to slaughter dogs too; those who openly criticized the program were persecuted by "special departments" (military counterintelligence).[3] Out of the first group of 30 dogs, only four managed to detonate their bombs near the German tanks, inflicting an unknown amount of damage. Six exploded upon returning to the Soviet trenches, killing and injuring soldiers.[3] Three dogs were shot by German troops and taken away, despite furious attempts by the Soviets to prevent this, which provided examples of the detonation mechanism to the Germans. A captured German officer later reported that they learned of the anti-tank dog design from the killed animals, and considered the program desperate and inefficient. A German propaganda campaign sought to discredit the Red Army, saying that Soviet soldiers refuse to fight and send dogs instead.[3]

Another serious training mistake was revealed later; the Soviets used their own diesel engine tanks to train the dogs rather than German tanks which had gasoline engines.[5] As the dogs relied on their acute sense of smell, the dogs sought out familiar Soviet tanks instead of strange-smelling German tanks.[7] This effectively meant that the Soviets had trained the dogs to sabotage their own army.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

the germans used magnets

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Germans, on the other hand,

used the Japanese

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

bring back old gbs posted:

The Germans, on the other hand,

used the Japanese

I think they tried some wonderwaffe poo poo with remote control bomb tank things.

Then they gave up and started giving old men and boys panzerfausts but not teaching them anything other than how to shot them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

wilderthanmild posted:

I think they tried some wonderwaffe poo poo with remote control bomb tank things.

Then they gave up and started giving old men and boys panzerfausts but not teaching them anything other than how to shot them.

How do I shot faust

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Cojawfee posted:

How do I shot faust

Hans! Shot Faust?

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
I know it's from the last page but I'll always enjoy seeing people's reactions the first time they encounter a tallbike

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

wilderthanmild posted:

I think the remote anti-tank... tanks saw more use in testing by the Allies after the war than any other time.

Lashing ten grenade bodies to one whole grenade, the magnetic hollow-charge anti-tank grenades, the Panzerfaust, a bunch of explosives in a bag, all perfectly good weapons to "stop" a tank at close range. The thing is, no one wants to get that close willingly, with no training and no plan. All that poo poo actually worked, but was only really effective for "oh poo poo" moments and prepared ambushes.

Think about the early Panzerfaust 60, 60 as in 60 meters range. Halve that for a "true" effective range. 30 meters from you to the tank and everyone is going to see the smoke from launching the rocket. Hope you've got an exit strategy. Strangley, untrained people tend to run away from the 40 ton vehicle spewing fire and death at first opportunity. They're the smart ones.

Infantry anti-tank work is suuuuper OSHA.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

madeintaipei posted:

Infantry anti-tank work is suuuuper OSHA.

Just imagine having to deploy an anti-tank rock.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
Remember that guy from Saving Private Ryan?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Big Dick Cheney posted:

Remember that guy from Saving Private Ryan?

He protec

He attack

But most importantly

He break track

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Okay, I found the old post about that guy.

quote:

Sometimes, you have to make do with what you have, even when fighting tanks. And sometimes, all you have are ordinary tools. In that case, what you do might show up in a newspaper, and then, with the help of artists from "Combat Pencil", a magazine.

"1. Soldier Kulishev was out scouting one night. An enemy tank crawled out of the forest. He threw a bundle of grenades, and the tank stopped.

2. The tank opened fire, but no one answered. Kulishev took off his boots and silently climbed up on the tank.

3. The hatch opened, and a fascist tanker peeked out. Kulishev hit him in the head with his shovel. The fascist fell back, and the hatch closed.

4. Not wasting time, Kulishev blocked the machine guns with branches, covered observation ports with clay, and blocked the air intakes.

5. The fascists started choking and climbing out of the tank. Kulishev knocked out a second one with his shovel. The third one surrendered. This is how, with bravery, initiative, and quick wits, soldier Kulishev defeated a tank one on one.

Izvestiya, from July 17th, 1941"

The illustration shows a PzI, but, seeing as how he took out three crewmen, it was most likely a PzII.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

This is my favourite anti-tank weapon:

I got to sit on one of these at the military museum in Ottawa, and it's not quite as crazy as it looks. It wasn't intended to be fired while moving, the French military wanted an extremely light mobile artillery platform for paratroopers to use, so these would go down with a two man crew. They'd pop out the bipod, take a couple pot shots, then hop back on and move someplace else before the enemy could respond.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

RandomFerret posted:

I got to sit on one of these at the military museum in Ottawa, and it's not quite as crazy as it looks. It wasn't intended to be fired while moving, the French military wanted an extremely light mobile artillery platform for paratroopers to use, so these would go down with a two man crew. They'd pop out the bipod, take a couple pot shots, then hop back on and move someplace else before the enemy could respond.

This is seriously some Brigador poo poo.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

RandomFerret posted:

In retrospect, perhaps the DoD movie sponsorship program was a poor choice for the re-make of Roman Holiday...

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

He protec

He attack

But most importantly

He break track

He broke himself more than any track.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Are things supposed to spark when you're doing demolitions with a crane?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfEcNF-tmdI

Is it the metal frame or live wiring?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

He broke himself more than any track.

let he who hasn't cast the first stone

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
The russians should have used anti-tank kittens.
The nazzies would have gotten out of their tanks to pet the kittens and would have been taken out by enemy fire.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/load-alberta-highway-unsafe-1.5277048

got my cbc links mixed

Powershift fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

wesleywillis posted:

The russians should have used anti-tank kittens.
The nazzies would have gotten out of their tanks to pet the kittens and would have been taken out by enemy fire.

You're joking, but https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-tank_dog

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)