Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

el dingo posted:

Slightly left field but Stephen Rea as Vetinari.

Ooh I like.

Charles Dance was good.

Jeremy Irons was... odd.

Going Postal was very well cast I thought.

Edit: Filed self under "cat"

VVV in the category of obvious well-knowns, I always pictured Carcer as David Tennant, he can do the unconventionally deranged so well.

But then I also thought he should play Moist, so either he's got a great range or I have a limited imagination.

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Sep 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The guy they cast for Carcer should have been young Vetinari instead, if they're going for a black Ankh-Morpork aristocracy. Maybe it's the picture, but he looks too conventionally intimidating for Carcer. Also, the guy who plays Carrot should have a neck twice as wide.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

RockyB posted:

I think you'd be hard pressed to find any media company these days that doesn't employ someone loathsome. Don't worry though, I counter balance the £1 a month for the kindle edition (although I think they just put the price up) by donating to the SWP.

No, not really. Jesus.

There's a bit of a difference between paying to see a movie starring say, Charlie Sheen, and actively funding fash propaganda.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yeah, carcer should be tiny and unassuming and non-thretening until he suddenly terrifyingly isn't.

Eddie Marsan would be my pick.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Starting to think the 'sensible moderates' are going to dumbshit us into losing a second referendum

https://twitter.com/George_Osborne/status/1172093195804717056

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Used to read a bunch of papers from across the spectrum myself, but just don't see the point any more. It's important not to get trapped in a bubble; it's not important to know what a tiny fringe group of vested interests think people should think.

None of it's representative, none of it's objective, very little of it's even true. Think critically and use primary sources to figure out stuff that actually happened (this thread's good for that imo); to actually find out what people think in the real world involves going out into the real world.

Bearing in mind of course that the real world is big & diverse & isn't only populated by the kinds of people that you regularly come into contact with. Middle class liberals are loving suckers for assuming that last one.

e: also don't fund literal nazi propaganda lmao jfc

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

Most British media hire some pretty bad people, yes, but I can't think of many that hire actual, literal Nazis like Taki Theodoracopulos as regular columnists. I mean, if you have other examples (ideally from publications that might otherwise be worth subscribing to for a more usefully complete picture of the world), feel free to share 'em.

Hadn't heard of him before but a quick google and wow he is a massive piece of poo poo.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Captain Fargle posted:

Yeah. Wow.

She is way, way, waaaaaaaaaay too young and thin to be playing Sybil.

EDIT: It's legitimately amazing how bad a choice that is. Was every black woman in Britain over 40 just suddenly unavailable or something?

since that casting thing also mentions Carcer I'm assuming this is Night Watch-era Sybil (I can't remember offhand whether she appears in the flashback sections of the book but she'd be about the right age)

e: very beaten

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Sep 12, 2019

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Borrovan posted:

Used to read a bunch of papers from across the spectrum myself, but just don't see the point any more. It's important not to get trapped in a bubble; it's not important to know what a tiny fringe group of vested interests think people should think.

None of it's representative, none of it's objective, very little of it's even true. Think critically and use primary sources to figure out stuff that actually happened (this thread's good for that imo); to actually find out what people think in the real world involves going out into the real world.

Bearing in mind of course that the real world is big & diverse & isn't only populated by the kinds of people that you regularly come into contact with. Middle class liberals are loving suckers for assuming that last one.

e: also don't fund literal nazi propaganda lmao jfc

Yeah it's important to know what the enemy thinks but it's not necessary to seriously entertain what they have to say

e: and a lot of it is obviously straight up chaff that can safely be ignored entirely

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Darth Walrus posted:

The guy they cast for Carcer should have been young Vetinari instead, if they're going for a black Ankh-Morpork aristocracy. Maybe it's the picture, but he looks too conventionally intimidating for Carcer. Also, the guy who plays Carrot should have a neck twice as wide.

Nobody really looks like Carrot with the possible exception of Hafthor Bjornsson.

Paul Darrow will always be Vimes for me, MHRIP.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah, carcer should be tiny and unassuming and non-thretening until he suddenly terrifyingly isn't.

Eddie Marsan would be my pick.

I think you can let him be reasonably large. Just in a friendly, cuddly sort of way until you realise 'oh dear I am in a room with a man who can snap my neck with his bare hands'.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
cast peter crouch as carrot

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

How do we get Alan Ford involved

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jedit posted:

Nobody really looks like Carrot with the possible exception of Hafthor Bjornsson.

Paul Darrow will always be Vimes for me, MHRIP.

British redhead John Cena would basically be Carrot, appearance-wise.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

I think you can let him be reasonably large. Just in a friendly, cuddly sort of way until you realise 'oh dear I am in a room with a man who can snap my neck with his bare hands'.

Carcer's scariness isn't due to anything physical. It's that he doesn't care what happens as long as he gets to hurt someone. He doesn't want to control the city, except insofar as he could do what he wanted, and he certainly doesn't want revenge against injustice because he doesn't believe anything is unjust.

On the other hand, it could work if you set up the Night Watch scenario but with both Carcer and Vimes mentoring their younger selves.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Nuclear Spoon posted:

cast peter crouch as carrot

He'd need a severe course of steroids to bulk up for the role

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah a pro wrestler type would be pretty perfect as carrot. Or basically anyone who could play Gaston, but ginger.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Good casting for Vimes and Carrot, I guess we'll see about the rest - Angua looks pretty slight, when I always imagined her as basically just blonde Xena. I wonder if they could get Charles Dance as Vetinari again.

Alan Davies for Vetinari.

StarkingBarfish posted:

Ian McShane would be a good Vetinari I reckon.

I think you mean Dibbler. I mean he basically played Dibbler in a hit TV show.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It isn't necessarily Night Watch; Carcer was at large in modern day Ankh Morpork and they might have just wanted a recognisable villain and thought he was a good fit.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Darth Walrus posted:

British redhead John Cena would basically be Carrot, appearance-wise.

I don't think I've ever known who John Cena is. Just googled him, and now the fact that I pictured Michael Cera every time I heard the name is even more hilarious.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Jose posted:

He'd need a severe course of steroids to bulk up for the role

admittedly i haven't read the books in years but i always envisaged him as lanky?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah a pro wrestler type would be pretty perfect as carrot.
How about an Irish fella?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jedit posted:

Carcer's scariness isn't due to anything physical. It's that he doesn't care what happens as long as he gets to hurt someone. He doesn't want to control the city, except insofar as he could do what he wanted, and he certainly doesn't want revenge against injustice because he doesn't believe anything is unjust.

On the other hand, it could work if you set up the Night Watch scenario but with both Carcer and Vimes mentoring their younger selves.

I got the impression from Night Watch that he was quite a hammy, expansive personality, though. The sort of person who always draws the eye and is at the centre of attention. Like the head of a group of teenage friends who's really fun to hang out with and has lots of great ideas but always goes a little too far, and then suddenly goes a lot too far, and drags you all along with him. Make him too little, and you lose some of that.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Knew who this was going to be without even clicking

TOO MANY LIMES

TOO MANY LIMES

:fella:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
not sure where everyone is getting the idea that Carrot needs to be hench as gently caress

tall, yes, but he's not meant to be visually intimidating (in Guards! Guards! at least) so he needs to be reasonably skinny to balance it out a bit

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Nuclear Spoon posted:

admittedly i haven't read the books in years but i always envisaged him as lanky?

Carrot is described as being six foot six and getting his name from his approximate shape.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Jedit posted:

The guy who played Moriarty in the BenCum Sherlocks has that down to a T.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nuclear Spoon posted:

He's not called Carrot because of his hair, but because of his build. Dude is huge and incredibly strong thanks to growing up as a miner.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Julio Cruz posted:

not sure where everyone is getting the idea that Carrot needs to be hench as gently caress

tall, yes, but he's not meant to be visually intimidating (in Guards! Guards! at least) so he needs to be reasonably skinny to balance it out a bit

He's six six and stacked to gently caress come on.

He shouldn't be Full Bodybuilder, but he should be broad as a barn door.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
in "papers yet again full of utter poo poo" news:

if you're wondering how they made the jump from "up to 20" to "10-50" don't worry, it's never explained

e: carrots are long and thin, like what the gently caress have you people ever actually seen one

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It isn't necessarily Night Watch; Carcer was at large in modern day Ankh Morpork and they might have just wanted a recognisable villain and thought he was a good fit.

I'd be surprised if was an adaptation of the Night Watch considering that's heavily reliant on established history stuff from other novels, this is just called The Watch and seems to be be a quite loose adaptation of the books rather than any one specific story based on what's been realised.

As a benefit this is a BBC America production so chances are the production budget and design may be considerably better than the Sky stuff - though as with BBC America stuff there will probably be a broadcast delay

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I’m fairly convinced that any pro brexit supporter on twitter with a bunch of flags after their handle and all caps are most certainly bots. They regurgitate the same message over and over again. It’s always the Union Jack, the us flag, Israel’s flag and then maybe Australia and New Zealand thrown in for good measure. Maybe an Esq too.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
As long as they get Elijah Wood to play Froob Mubblescump, and Fruce Borsyth (incredible reference, took me years to get it) is done justice, then all is right with the world.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

sebzilla posted:

The guy who played Moriarty in the BenCum Sherlocks has that down to a T.

Andrew Scott? Oh I agree, that fellow is unsettling and very very good. He could probably convincingly play the soul of a tory.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Remember that virtually every City Watch book climaxes with Carrot performing some absurd feat of strength. He's got into fist-fights with werewolves, trolls, and golems, he put a sword straight through a stone pillar (and the guy standing in front of it), and he literally killed a guy by throwing the book at him (admittedly, a rather heavy book, but it takes serious arm strength to get something like that to lethal velocity).

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Young Vetinari gotta be Martin Wallstrom.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Julio Cruz posted:

e: carrots are long and thin, like what the gently caress have you people ever actually seen one

Depends on the variety. You might as well argue with people's perception that carrots are orange.

Given that Carrot literally blocks out the sun with his hugeness, and is described as a "Scary uniform" alongside his troll colleague, you can probably assume that he's not named after some tiny variety of carrot.

Gort fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Sep 12, 2019

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

if you're wondering how they made the jump from "up to 20" to "10-50" don't worry, it's never explained

The point in the text is that they're triangular. Guy has really broad shoulders.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

el dingo posted:

Slightly left field but Stephen Rea as Vetinari.

how about stephen root

think about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

And much wider at the top