Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I gotta get my fuckin' overdrive fixed, i'm tired of getting 13 mpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I wondered if you'd gotten that fixed. Guess not.
If you had a place to work and a spare vehicle, I'd probably go for a warranted used transmission, provided a new one isn't like only a couple hundred more expensive.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

At this point I've got a bunch of poo poo going on in my life, to the point that it's probably more cost effective to get it fixed by a shop. I'll get an estimate before committing, but odds are decent that I can get an otherwise-perfect transmission's overdrive back up for less than $1500, right? Like, it worked perfectly, then suddenly failed while I had the ABS module pulled out, and hasn't worked since; that's gotta be some kind of electronic fault it seems like.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I'm about to take my Vic in as well.

The lack of a cabin air filter and lovely air intake placement let some tree matter get down into my blower fan housing, and I didn't notice until I could smell it. It is a stone bitch to get in there to clean that out, and I may need a professional if the evap core is full of it. Gonna give it one more shot this week, pull the blower fan and see if that lets me get a shop vac in there.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jul 9, 2019

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Fender Anarchist posted:

At this point I've got a bunch of poo poo going on in my life, to the point that it's probably more cost effective to get it fixed by a shop. I'll get an estimate before committing, but odds are decent that I can get an otherwise-perfect transmission's overdrive back up for less than $1500, right? Like, it worked perfectly, then suddenly failed while I had the ABS module pulled out, and hasn't worked since; that's gotta be some kind of electronic fault it seems like.

Good gosh I hope so. Since it wasn’t the snap ring failure, I’d wager you’re right about it being electronic, but I’m no expert.

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm about to take my Vic in as well.

The lack of a cabin air filter and lovely air intake placement let some tree matter get down into my blower fan housing, and I didn't notice until I could smell it. It is a stone bitch to get in there to clean that out, and I may need a professional if the evap core is full of it. Gonna give it one more shot this week, pull the blower fan and see if that lets me get a shop vac in there.

Yeah, you can get down in there, but it’s tight at the bottom of the evap housing. I replaced the motor on my blower on Friday - the original had developed a dead spot on the commutator, and had to thump it sometimes to get it to go. Checked for debris down there while I had it off.

MesquiteLog
Dec 8, 2009
Just changed the plugs on my 2007 towncar and numbers 2 and 3 (middle two on the passenger side bank) had brownish poo poo that smelled faintly of coolant. Car has 123k miles and runs pretty well. How boned am I?

E: not blowing any white smoke out of the tailpipes or anything, just this garbage on the plugs.

MesquiteLog fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 23, 2019

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Could be leaks from up top. I don't think it's, like, a chronic thing on these cars?

The bottom of my radiator/condenser have been wet for the two years I've owned the car. I don't clean it regularly or anything, and just a few days ago I finally got arsed around to throwing some distilled water in there to bring it back to up top. When it comes to some stuff I just :shrug:

Of course, the radiator fan now vibrates really bad when it's in "high" mode for when the AC is on. Normal mode? No problem. But turn the AC on and "bzzzzZZZZZZZZ". Maybe I'll be able to get this year out of it before I have to replace it - in the winter it's so neutral mild here that if I can make it to late October, I'm golden until May for both AC and defrost.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Dang it. The rubber on the handle for my spotlight is crumbling.

Guess I'll have to figure out who makes it and find a replacement.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Unity. Eight bucks.

https://www.unityusa.com/Handle_c_2199-2-1.html

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Aug 23, 2019

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Wow, thanks, dude!
Guess I need to figure out if it's "short" or regular, but that cuts it down a lot. I need to disassemble it anyway - the light goes out in certain positions, likely dirty sliding contacts.

MesquiteLog
Dec 8, 2009

Darchangel posted:

Wow, thanks, dude!
Guess I need to figure out if it's "short" or regular, but that cuts it down a lot. I need to disassemble it anyway - the light goes out in certain positions, likely dirty sliding contacts.

Most likely regular, the short is used on the Taurus interceptor because it’s not a real patrol car and everything had to be modified and retrofitted to make it one, including short spotlight handle and about 18” long spotlight shaft.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Well I'm stumped. So is the shop apparently.

2011 Lincoln Towncar-L. Runnning with no issues since I got it 2 years ago.

Yesterday I parked at a shopping plaza and when I came back I couldn't start the car.

Plenty of power, starter turns, no error codes, full tank of gas. Checked the fuses for the fuel pump, swapped the relay for the fuel pump with the a/c one [known working], after that basic bit of diagnostic work, I called AAA, who came with a battery tester and said that was fine.

Shop, had it for the day, and they said the first time they tried to start the car it wouldn't start, so when another tech came out to try again, it fired up. It fired up every time today, and they ran their diagnostic system on it and couldn't find any problems, they checked fuel pressure, coils, etc, all normal, I told them to keep it for another night. They'll do a cold start tomorrow and if it fires up, I guess I'm out the diagnostic fee but I'm kinda puzzled that we can't figure this out.

Sound familiar to anyone? Car wasn't washed recently, oil was changed 2 weeks ago, I'm trying to figure out what could cause this.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Big K of Justice posted:

Yesterday I parked at a shopping plaza and when I came back I couldn't start the car.

Plenty of power, starter turns, no error codes, full tank of gas. Checked the fuses for the fuel pump, swapped the relay for the fuel pump with the a/c one [known working], after that basic bit of diagnostic work, I called AAA, who came with a battery tester and said that was fine.

Shop, had it for the day, and they said the first time they tried to start the car it wouldn't start, so when another tech came out to try again, it fired up. It fired up every time today, and they ran their diagnostic system on it and couldn't find any problems, they checked fuel pressure, coils, etc, all normal, I told them to keep it for another night. They'll do a cold start tomorrow and if it fires up, I guess I'm out the diagnostic fee but I'm kinda puzzled that we can't figure this out.

Sound familiar to anyone? Car wasn't washed recently, oil was changed 2 weeks ago, I'm trying to figure out what could cause this.

Shot in the dark, but I'd pull a plug and make sure it's actually sparking when it's cranking over. When you're doing this, make sure you're actually grounding the threads on the plug, I've hosed that up before.

Also, uh, don't hold the plug in your fist when you do it either. It's a lot of volts and it tingles.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Darchangel posted:

Wow, thanks, dude!

I had to find it for mine a few months ago. :)

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Big K of Justice posted:

Sounds like what my Mustang was doing before the fuel pump totally poo poo the bed. Crank, no start > give it 30 seconds > fires right up. I did that dance for a little while until the fuel pump finally finished loving off.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Fuel shutoff in the trunk tripping itself maybe?

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Sounds like what my Mustang was doing before the fuel pump totally poo poo the bed. Crank, no start > give it 30 seconds > fires right up. I did that dance for a little while until the fuel pump finally finished loving off.

Same. It's a real hoot when your fuel pump dies while keeping up with 50mph traffic!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Achtane posted:

Same. It's a real hoot when your fuel pump dies while keeping up with 50mph traffic!

Fuckin' yikes. Mine just decided it didn't want to wake back up one day when I tried to leave work. I'm real glad it didn't die under load.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

boxen posted:

Shot in the dark, but I'd pull a plug and make sure it's actually sparking when it's cranking over. When you're doing this, make sure you're actually grounding the threads on the plug, I've hosed that up before.

Also, uh, don't hold the plug in your fist when you do it either. It's a lot of volts and it tingles.

Nothing on the electrical side in terms of sparks/coil packs.

Thought it may have been fuel pump but there was no issues or symptoms before related to lack of fuel.

Then I came across something from a cab owner on a crown vic forum.

He mentioned if you top up the later model cars [with the longer filling neck and the 19 gallon vs 20 gallon capacity], and then immediately park it in hot weather, vapor expansion will cause some fuel to get into the carbon canister evaporative system, the black box that piggy backs on the bottom of the fuel tank. When that happens, the fuel can't be pumped normally from the tank resulting in a very rare situation. You'll have to wait it to cool and the fuel to dry out of the system apparently. On that day I topped off the car, and then drove it 1 mile to a mall and parked it outside in 105F weather for 4 hours.

This tracks with the only other issue I had historically with the car which had a symptom related to the same system. I had problems filling the car up at maximum pump speed unless I hold the nozzle at a certain angle which was something I only had to do after moving to Texas. When I was in states with an evaporative recovery system on the gas pumps, it was never an issue. Texas has the old-style pumps, so it would need to lean on the cars built-in system. If anything was gummed up with the solenoid or the little mesh filter in that canister system, it would cause interruptions in filling.

I'm not getting an emission code yet due to the canister, but when I do I'll probably swap out the unit then.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Sep 17, 2019

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yay, popped a heater hose on the way home from work yesterday!

Apparently lost it when I goosed it to pass someone. Random dude on the highway tried to tell me something was busted, but I couldn't figure out what he was saying over the wind noise until my AC cut out and the temp symbol on the dash came on (despite the actual temp gauge never budging...)

Pulled over and checked it out - the hose came off of the rear intake fitting. I put it back on, and was unable to tug it off (heh,) but there doesn't appear to be any sort of barb there?

fitting is the orange bit below and to the left of the hose.

I limped a few blocks off the highway to a gas station and paid through the nose for 50/50 universal "lifetime" coolant - Peak branded, at least. 3 gallons. Made it home ( 6 more miles or so) with no incident.
I believe I'll change out that clamp, though.

To be safe, I drove the shitbox AE86 to work today.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
The SAME loving THING happened to me on the highway a couple months ago!
These cars seem to go from "running fine!" to "YOU'RE hosed NOW LOL" in about half a second.
I'm so tired of the endless cooling issues with mine. It's been sitting in the backyard because I just don't feel like messing with it right now.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah that sure looks like when mine popped. Unfortunately, it's plastic that's been dissolved and crumbled by ancient coolant, so you'll probably need a new intake mani at some point like I did. You've got the little pipe stub to at least clamp onto for now, but with how orange and cracked that looks it's only a matter of time before it just turns to dust and this happens again.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

hosed if I’m going to replace an entire intake manifold because of Ford doing something dumb like making a goddamned hose nipple out of plastic. Did they not learn from the coolant crossover at the front of the intake? Idiots.
You know I’ll try to cut, drill, and tap the spot for a brass nipple first. drat it.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I can't decide between grabbing a junkyard manifold or tapping it like that. When mine went, it shot what seemed like all the coolant in my car through that tube. Was great waiting on the side of the highway in 100-degree heat for 3 hours after receiving an ETA of 40 minutes from the towing company.

The cooling fan on mine never comes on unless the AC is running. I tried to wire it to a relay and switch, but must have wired it incorrectly or something. Whatever.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I lost all the coolant. It took 2-3/4 or so gallons to refill.
I feel like a junkyard manifold will have exactly the same issue, eventually. Plastic doesn't belong anywhere near a cooling system.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Darchangel posted:

Plastic doesn't belong anywhere near a cooling system.

One of the few things that brings together car communities of all sorts, hating on the assholes who put plastic where it doesn't belong.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

wolrah posted:

One of the few things that brings together car communities of all sorts, hating on the assholes who put plastic where it doesn't belong.

BMW made a loving meme out of it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Darchangel posted:

BMW made a loving meme out of it.

There's an E46 in my driveway that's amazingly near 150,000 miles on the original cooling system. I've been prepared to replace it the while time I've owned the car but so far it's been good.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

wolrah posted:

There's an E46 in my driveway that's amazingly near 150,000 miles on the original cooling system. I've been prepared to replace it the while time I've owned the car but so far it's been good.

Well, now you've done it, tempting fate like that.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Darchangel posted:

Well, now you've done it, tempting fate like that.

Nah, the starter solenoid failed a few years ago and because of it's location on a slanted-over inline six I've been too lazy to take the car apart enough to actually repair it. Now it's Shrodinger's GDCS.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Two dumb questions, friends:

For some perverse reason, local car dealers have two early 1990s Grand Marquis for sale. Would these cars be A Bad Choice for a daily driver?

Also I think one of them has a reverse doink going on, has like 14" wheels, looks really cool

Second: I've been panther curious for many years, and I've lately began to wonder if there are any other cars that would scratch that itch. Namely the RWD Dodges. Are they a worthy substitute or a pile of problematic poo poo compared to the Panther?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Cross post from my personal thread:
Intake manifold for the Ferd came in yesterday:

Already have the gaskets and the injector o-rings, so it's go time. Yay. Because I didn't have 100 other projects, several of which I would much prefer to be doing.
I'm actually surprised that the aluminum is shiny. I was expecting as-cast or bead-blasted.
Still that same damned plastic nipple, though.

I'll be saving the original, and will see if I can come up with something for that should I need to. Honestly, I don't really expect to have this car when it breaks again in another 15 years, but who knows?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Nebakenezzer posted:

Two dumb questions, friends:

For some perverse reason, local car dealers have two early 1990s Grand Marquis for sale. Would these cars be A Bad Choice for a daily driver?

Also I think one of them has a reverse doink going on, has like 14" wheels, looks really cool

Second: I've been panther curious for many years, and I've lately began to wonder if there are any other cars that would scratch that itch. Namely the RWD Dodges. Are they a worthy substitute or a pile of problematic poo poo compared to the Panther?

Not really a horrible choice per se, but an early '90s Panther will have the 302, and maybe throttle body injection depending on exact year, so may not be the most efficient. Not that the port-inject 4.6 is a gas miser. Just something to be aware of. Still sledgehammer simple, and generally easy to fix and maintain, if that's your concern. Lots of parts availability. Certainly not the worst car, just big and dumb, but generally reliable, basically.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Darchangel posted:

Not really a horrible choice per se, but an early '90s Panther will have the 302, and maybe throttle body injection depending on exact year, so may not be the most efficient. Not that the port-inject 4.6 is a gas miser. Just something to be aware of. Still sledgehammer simple, and generally easy to fix and maintain, if that's your concern. Lots of parts availability. Certainly not the worst car, just big and dumb, but generally reliable, basically.
Depends on what they mean by "early '90s", but I generally assume that means the '90/92-97 aero cars rather than the last of the '80s-era box bodies. The boxes were all Windsor V8s, the '91 351 models being the last American cars sold with a carburetor, but the aero bodies were all modular aside from the '90 Town Car.

Nebakenezzer posted:

I have family in law enforcement and they tell me that the Dodges are the most fun to drive but apparently at least the 5 speed transmissions don't hold up. Not sure if the 8 speed models are different, one of my family members retired before they came out and the other's department was switching to an exclusively Ford fleet.

That always disappointed me because I kinda want to pick up an ex-cop model and do this to it: https://www.smythkitcars.com/charger-ute

wolrah fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 23, 2019

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

wolrah posted:

Depends on what they mean by "early '90s", but I generally assume that means the '90/92-97 aero cars rather than the last of the '80s-era box bodies. The boxes were all Windsor V8s, the '91 351 models being the last American cars sold with a carburetor, but the aero bodies were all modular aside from the '90 Town Car.

Fair enough. I did not look up the year model breakdown, so was just sort of winging it.

quote:

I have family in law enforcement and they tell me that the Dodges are the most fun to drive but apparently at least the 5 speed transmissions don't hold up. Not sure if the 8 speed models are different, one of my family members retired before they came out and the other's department was switching to an exclusively Ford fleet.

That always disappointed me because I kinda want to pick up an ex-cop model and do this to it: https://www.smythkitcars.com/charger-ute

I too, would love to build one of those. A bit pricey kit, but it apparently is good quality and fits well. If they would make one for the Caprice/SS, you could have a modern El Camino. Trouble is the base for it is much rarer and/or more expensive than a Charger. I would accept a kit for a G8, then slap a Holden nose on it. Probably a lot cheaper than getting one from http://www.lefthandutes.com/

edit: Or a kit for Crown Vics/Gran Marquis. Now *there's* a common-to-find base, and they're ALL V8s! Maybe one for a Town Car for an extended bed...

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

wolrah posted:

Yeah, this one is a 1992-1997 "sorta aero" model.

wolrah posted:

Sweet. Now that you've mentioned it, I am kinda surprised there's no el camino kit for the panthers.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Darchangel posted:

I too, would love to build one of those. A bit pricey kit, but it apparently is good quality and fits well. If they would make one for the Caprice/SS, you could have a modern El Camino. Trouble is the base for it is much rarer and/or more expensive than a Charger. I would accept a kit for a G8, then slap a Holden nose on it. Probably a lot cheaper than getting one from http://www.lefthandutes.com/

edit: Or a kit for Crown Vics/Gran Marquis. Now *there's* a common-to-find base, and they're ALL V8s! Maybe one for a Town Car for an extended bed...

Yeah, a Panther Ute would seem like it would be really easy, especially considering the body-on-frame nature means the structural aspects are significantly less critical than the various unibodies they support and the lack of change over the years means they could easily cover a huge swath of vehicles with slight variations on the same kit.

The chassis didn't change significantly from 1979 through 2002, and even the '03 redesign kept almost the same body mount points. "Mr Bean" on GrandMarq.net dropped an '85 2 door body on an '07 frame and only needed to do some minor adjustment to the header panel. The rest bolted right up.

They could probably cover the entire Panther production run with two cabin rear structures (box and aero/whale), two bed structures (swb and lwb), and a half dozen or so sets of body panels.

edit: Actually since the LWB models are only six inches longer I don't know if it'd make more sense to use that length to extend the bed or to extend the cabin in to somewhat of a "supercab" with room to recline the seats further and store things behind them.

edit2: Now I'm picturing a 2 door box body with the longer doors on a LWB frame with a ute conversion and it's basically what I'd imagine an '80s era Ranchero to have looked like.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Yeah, this one is a 1992-1997 "sorta aero" model.

'92-97 cars are referred to as "aero" bodies in contrast to the original "box" bodies. When the '98 facelifts came around those got the nickname "whale".

wolrah fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 25, 2019

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

wolrah posted:

Yeah, a Panther Ute would seem like it would be really easy, especially considering the body-on-frame nature means the structural aspects are significantly less critical than the various unibodies they support and the lack of change over the years means they could easily cover a huge swath of vehicles with slight variations on the same kit.

The chassis didn't change significantly from 1979 through 2002, and even the '03 redesign kept almost the same body mount points. "Mr Bean" on GrandMarq.net dropped an '85 2 door body on an '07 frame and only needed to do some minor adjustment to the header panel. The rest bolted right up.

I've seen that car on that forum, and it was the poo poo. I loved the look of the 2-door CV lowered with the Bullit wheels.
The only things he really needed to change as I recall were the mounting points for the bumpers and core support, and - a bit more involved - maybe the trunk floor over the rear axle to accommodate the newer fuel tank?

quote:

They could probably cover the entire Panther production run with two cabin rear structures (box and aero/whale), two bed structures (swb and lwb), and a half dozen or so sets of body panels.

edit: Actually since the LWB models are only six inches longer I don't know if it'd make more sense to use that length to extend the bed or to extend the cabin in to somewhat of a "supercab" with room to recline the seats further and store things behind them.

Guess I'll just have to build my own. It's either that, or a "whale" wagon.
edit: I think I like the Extra-cab option.

quote:

edit2: Now I'm picturing a 2 door box body with the longer doors on a LWB frame with a ute conversion and it's basically what I'd imagine an '80s era Ranchero to have looked like.

That's exactly what it would be.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Darchangel posted:

I've seen that car on that forum, and it was the poo poo. I loved the look of the 2-door CV lowered with the Bullit wheels.
The only things he really needed to change as I recall were the mounting points for the bumpers and core support, and - a bit more involved - maybe the trunk floor over the rear axle to accommodate the newer fuel tank?
Yeah, he did a lot more because he wanted to use as many of the '07 parts as he could. The steering

I was speaking purely from a body mounting standpoint since that's what'd be important to a ute conversion.

quote:

Guess I'll just have to build my own. It's either that, or a "whale" wagon.
edit: I think I like the Extra-cab option.
I've never seen an aero or whale wagon done well. There's a '95-97 aero wagon someone built using a rear roof section from a Taurus wagon that was done very skillfully but the lines do not match up, especially at the rear. Would definitely like to see it done properly though.

Agreed on the extra-cab option. The more that I think about it the more I think that the best Panther utes would be a 2 door box or the '01-02 TCL with the extended b-pillar on a LWB chassis. We're not looking to maximize payload here, just to build a couch that you can throw dirty poo poo in the back of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Nebakenezzer posted:

Sweet. Now that you've mentioned it, I am kinda surprised there's no el camino kit for the panthers.

Isn’t that what the Ford Durango was supposed to be?