Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

MourningView posted:

The expenses are complete bullshit though. They inflate them specifically so they can paint athletics as either a money loser or just barely breaking even so they can justify not paying players. It usually includes all sorts of unnecessary capital projects (weird that literally every team in the conference suddenly needed a brand new multimillion dollar weight room or stadium renovation right around the time the TV contracts exploded) and they pretend that the cost of a scholarship is the same as the cost of tuition and room and board, which is horseshit unless you actually think they're declining to admit a paying student for every single scholarship athlete they admit. They already have the dorms and they're already holding classes whether there's an athlete in them or not, it doesn't actually cost the school that much to admit a football player on a scholarship. There is also no reason coaches need to make as much as they do, other than that everyone has way too much money and needs a place to spend it so it doesn't look like they're making too much.

Andy Schwarz has done of a ton of work on this, here's a good article from him on the bullshit accounting schools are doing:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/yp79py/college-sports-program-accounting-scam

mv

this is such a long post

i'm sure it's good but drat I can't read all this poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Seaniqua posted:

mv

this is such a long post

i'm sure it's good but drat I can't read all this poo poo

TLDR, college athletics has the same accountants as Hollywood.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I can and have rambled much longer about much dumber things. Probably should have thrown some more paragraph breaks and periods in there tho.

Anyway yeah the point is that they fudge the cost of athletics because they have a vested interest in making it look like athletics doesn't make that much money.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

MourningView posted:

Andy Schwarz has done of a ton of work on this, here's a good article from him on the bullshit accounting schools are doing:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/yp79py/college-sports-program-accounting-scam

The TLDR version of this would be the Wikipedia article on Hollywood Accounting.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
Jeremy Pruitt got desperate and reinstated Bryce Thompson after two games. That program, man

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ace Jameson posted:

Jeremy Pruitt got desperate and reinstated Bryce Thompson after two games. That program, man

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...assault-charge/

quote:

He was arrested on Aug. 24 after witnesses told university police that Thompson threaten to "slap the (expletive) out of" a woman with whom he's in a relationship. Witnesses also said Thompson threatened to "shoot up the school," according to an arrest report. His case is scheduled for a preliminary hearing on Sept. 23.p

i mean you gotta bust out the big guns for UT Chattanooga

I'll be working that game too.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

FizFashizzle posted:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...assault-charge/

i mean you gotta bust out the big guns for UT Chattanooga

I'll be working that game too.

Doesn't that second part have a charge along the lines of "terrorist threat" associated with it?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Pruitt must've gone to the Bobby Bowden School Of Discipline

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Smh

Like why reinstate him now? The court date is next week (I think), why not see what happens and go from there? He didn’t actually hurt anyone but it’s clear he’s got anger management issues. The kid obviously needs help. Reinstating him will just feed into the idea he can do dumb poo poo and get away with it.

I don’t like it.

e: 23rd so week after next

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

MourningView posted:

I can and have rambled much longer about much dumber things. Probably should have thrown some more paragraph breaks and periods in there tho.

Anyway yeah the point is that they fudge the cost of athletics because they have a vested interest in making it look like athletics doesn't make that much money.

It's amazing how much people just take it at face value. You regularly have anti-sports people (including very smart academics) ranting about "propping up" athletic departments that are a big money hole for the university. Which yeah at a lot of small schools is probably true, but for almost the entire P5 is not even remotely true.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Raku posted:

Lmao if you think you can get a five star recruit for ten grand

Yeah, but we are talking about above the board stipends, not backroom deals. Wealthy programs will still cheat and engage in unethical practices, but that's separate than an equitable stipend system for student athletes across the board.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Yo KState guys, explain goemaw.com to me. The posting there is actually decent when most fan forums are just terrible. What gives.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Yo KState guys, explain goemaw.com to me. The posting there is actually decent when most fan forums are just terrible. What gives.

No one cares enough about them to be lovely

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Traitorous Leopard posted:

It's probably like CylconeFanatic for Iowa State. There's a handful of idiots, but most people have been ISU fans for a long time and are used to getting poo poo on. Really the only thing that bugs me is constantly referring to Iowa as TOE (Team Out East), or some variance of that. Hell, like 90% of the people on CF hate Trump, which actually shocked the hell out of me. Everyone loves ISU, but we all know we've never done anything of real note sports wise to get cocky about anything.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Week 3's slate of games look so weak. What's worth watching?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

LLCoolJD posted:

FLORIDAKENTUCKYBAYBEEEEE

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

LLCoolJD posted:

Herm vs Michigan state

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Night cap of TTU @ Arizona should be a fun shootout.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

kayakyakr posted:

Night cap of TTU @ Arizona should be a fun shootout.

Late Night Big 12 Action. Never lets you down

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Indiana vs. Ohio State is usually good for three quarters.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

LLCoolJD posted:

El Assico actually is the most compelling matchup on Saturday. Other than that, maybe Stanford-UCF? We know Stanford isn’t very good, but I guess we can find out if UCF is still good? It’s very slim pickings

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Purdue-TCU might be good? It has Rondale Moore.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

LLCoolJD posted:

wazzu/houston
k st/miss st
fl/kentucky
el assico
stanford/ucf
zona/tech
whichever ranked team shits its pants

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Those might all be alright l, although I kind of think Tech might trounce Arizona.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

General Dog posted:

Those might all be alright l, although I kind of think Tech might trounce Arizona.

maybe the line is -2 and its gonna be a lot of points and its pac12 after dark so :shrug:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
USC @ BYU? :shrug:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Bird in a Blender posted:

It's probably like CylconeFanatic for Iowa State. There's a handful of idiots, but most people have been ISU fans for a long time and are used to getting poo poo on. Really the only thing that bugs me is constantly referring to Iowa as TOE (Team Out East), or some variance of that. Hell, like 90% of the people on CF hate Trump, which actually shocked the hell out of me. Everyone loves ISU, but we all know we've never done anything of real note sports wise to get cocky about anything.

CF is pretty dang dumb, especially with in state rivalry stuff, but it's mostly harmless. All the Iowa boards suck too though

Also do not watch El Assico unless you are a fan of either team, just keep track of the score and mock it as needed. They're both defense first teams now and the game has been good like twice in my lifetime

MourningView fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 12, 2019

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

if you don't want to watch chattanooga beat Tennessee i don't know what to tell you

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
USC-BYU?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

LeeMajors posted:

FLORIDAKENTUCKYBAYBEEEEE

:cheers: I hope it's an entertaining game and not a sloppy slap fight for #2 in the division.

I may tune in to FSU/Virginia to have a giggle.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I'm actually looking forward to UNC/Wake tomorrow night. I'm curious if Mack can keep it going.

Also, the Wazzu/Houston Coug-Off could be fun, especially because Houston's defense is p. bad.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Texas-Rice is the game of the century.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sab0921 posted:

Texas-Rice is the game of the century.

:hmmyes:

The only rivalry JFK called out in his speech about going to the moon.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

LLCoolJD posted:

K-State/Miss State is between two teams that might be good but haven't had a tough game yet. It'll either be a game that goes late into the fourth, or it'll be a one-sided blowout that's over midway through the first half.

No one really knows for sure yet

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

MourningView posted:

CF is pretty dang dumb, especially with in state rivalry stuff, but it's mostly harmless. All the Iowa boards suck too though

Also do not watch El Assico unless you are a fan of either team, just keep track of the score and mock it as needed. They're both defense first teams now and the game has been good like twice in my lifetime

Oh yea, CF is full of idiots. I only occasionally read it if I'm trying to get an update about something.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Bird in a Blender posted:

Oh yea, CF is full of idiots. I only occasionally read it if I'm trying to get an update about something.

All College Football message boards are terrible except this one.

The team specific ones are cesspools of the internet. On the Longhorns one I read (only because the SB Nation guys started putting their content behind the paywall because they wanted to make money for their work on something), there is currently an argument on whether a person is racist because they oppose interracial marriage for biblical reasons. The common consensus is no, it's not.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1172148869544783874

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Strobe posted:

K-State/Miss State is between two teams that might be good but haven't had a tough game yet. It'll either be a game that goes late into the fourth, or it'll be a one-sided blowout that's over midway through the first half.

No one really knows for sure yet

This game is really gonna come down to whether we can stop KSU’s running game or not. They’ve got a pile of rushing yards on the season so far, and rush D has been our weakness on D up to this point.

I think we’ll score some drat points though.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

So if I had a billion dollars or so could I execute a hostile takeover of Texas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

dirty shrimp money posted:

So if I had a billion dollars or so could I execute a hostile takeover of Texas?

It worked for Joe Jamail.