Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Stereotype posted:

a vaping ban will make all people who vape officially Cool since doing crimes is obviously a very cool thing to do.

if you ban vapes, only criminals will vape :smugdon:

checkmate liberals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Krankenstyle posted:

weather is local, climate is global

The point is that, while the data is noisy, there is value in knowing it to sub‐centigrade precision. In aggregate, it does make a difference.

Lows of 28°F will send Floridian orange growers scrambling to protect the crop, while 29°F is fine. Those both resolve to −2°C.

If they sent the cavalry out every time the temperature hit −2°C, they’d be wasting millions of dollars.

If the U.S. used Celsius, could citrus farmers hassle vendors to get the precision they need? Yes, but it sure is convenient that they don’t have to because most of their countrymen use a scale with more precision than is necessary for everyday applications.

uncop
Oct 23, 2010
Sounds pretty bold to trust a weather forecast enough to cut it that close!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

uncop posted:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

anyway most digital thermometers do show the worthless decimal if you really need it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

uncop posted:

That just shifts the threshold. Maybe they make preparations when the forecast is 29°F, knowing that damage will occur at 28°F.

Florida has notoriously unpredictable storms, but the temperature stability is good because there’s so much water everywhere.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I love that someone thinks that this is a series of arguments about frequent uses in everyday life for most people.

E: that are completely negated since if people actually do care about the precision, they can use decimals. It's just not necessary for the vast majority of everyday uses.

iajanus has issued a correction as of 08:48 on Sep 12, 2019

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
as I recall the Fahrenheit using country was the one that got to the moon so maybe all you loser countries should just chill out :smuggo:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

christmas boots posted:

as I recall the Fahrenheit using country was the one that got to the moon so maybe all you loser countries should just chill out :smuggo:

they also blew up a rocket by using foot-pound instead of joule or something idiotic like that lol

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If you like Celsius so much, why not use Swatch Internet Time?

A thousand divisions of the day ought to be enough for anybody.

Most mechanical watches aren’t accurate to better than that.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

id be fine with it tbh

we only use 12x60 because theyre highly composite

uncop
Oct 23, 2010
yeah i'd use swatch internet time just like i'd use a non-qwerty keyboard layout: if it was a common standard and people&devices wouldn't demand me to convert information from one model to the other.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!
Motion to send anyone continuing this argument to a place where both sides can agree. Which is to say, somewhere the temperature is -40.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/graham100200/status/1171796761310113792?s=20

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
probably should report that tweet for incitement of violence but I guess it’s only okay when fash do it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Krankenstyle posted:

id be fine with it tbh

we only use 12x60 because theyre highly composite

uncop posted:

yeah i'd use swatch internet time just like i'd use a non-qwerty keyboard layout: if it was a common standard and people&devices wouldn't demand me to convert information from one model to the other.

That’s fair.

I’d like to keep my minute and second division of the hour, but at least you’re consistent.

One time when the lack of seconds got me was when I was preparing to watch a solar eclipse. I wanted to set an alarm to go off shortly before totality ended at my location so I would be alerted to put on the shades. My phone’s stock alarm only allows setting to the minute. I can’t recall needing to set an alarm to the second before that occasion, but it should have been there.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/GraceRandolph/status/1171061539195019264?s=19
https://twitter.com/GraceRandolph/status/1171070863279611904?s=20

Jose has issued a correction as of 10:38 on Sep 12, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Between this and Joker I'm sure we're going to see a full on Satanic Panic from liberals by the year's end.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 19 days!)

making jokes about Nazis is the melting point of iron

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Hm, if only we knew, what the third reich leadership thought about being made fun of. Alas, we have no idea, and will never find out, so let's assume they would be totally on board with it.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 19 days!)

Nazis should always be deathly serious, and we should always be afraid of them. In fact, we should talk about how afraid we are of Nazis all the time. I sure hope Nazis don't show up at work today even! Boy wouldn't that be terrible!

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
https://twitter.com/LasagnaGarden/status/1171806170455166978

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

A German or Scandinavian wrote that, the "on free feet" idiom doesn't exist in English afaik.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Thinkin about them dicks.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

you just know that when Mel Brooks dies, an infantry corps of checkmark scolds are going to call him out for the out-of-context "up yours" scene in Blazing Saddles and his entire career of joking about Nazis. the state of comedy is so, so, so bad right now
counterpoint:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
comedy is fine the only people effected are people who go on twitter looking to be offended

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

comedy is fine the only people effected are people who go on twitter looking to be offended
somebody posted an out-of-context screenshot of The Sarah Silverman Program where she's in blackface, which is from an episode which is about... why going around in blackface is bad. she not only apologized for this but said that she regrets where it came from entirely

i think it was Felix Biederman who said that the only two comedy specials on Netflix are either "Da Triggered AIDS Holocaust" or "My Lived Body Space," which is about right

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

get that OUT of my face posted:

you just know that when Mel Brooks dies, an infantry corps of checkmark scolds are going to call him out for the out-of-context "up yours" scene in Blazing Saddles and his entire career of joking about Nazis. the state of comedy is so, so, so bad right now

i think someone on these forums, perhaps this thread, said that mel brooks is the only thing at the center of the venn diagram of "can't be made today" and "is actually good"

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The future of comedy is academic conference presentations with 30% of the jokes removed.

That or you know funny TV shows that keep getting made.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

lmao imagine caring what "checkmark twitter scolds" think or imagining them to dictate terms to culture as a whole, it's pretty funny imo

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I was very confused when the vaping trend started because to me "vaping" was only about weed.

Extremely same

The only thing that should be vaped is weed, imo.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

lmao imagine caring what "checkmark twitter scolds" think or imagining them to dictate terms to culture as a whole, it's pretty funny imo

I will admit I’m pretty thrown that apparently Sarah Silverman is a thing still so idk anymore

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
if i wanted a bunch of boomer-rear end takes about how the sjws have ruined comedy id go watch the work of famous pedophile jerry seinfeld

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

its so hilariously transparent that the only reason seinfeld is so mad about "callout culture" (rich white guys getting held to the same standards as everyone else for once) is because he's terrified that one day society is going to collectively wake up and remember he hosed a high school girl at 38

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Like anyone is gonna do anything about it.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The "oh no we need to stop the callouts" thing is really ironic given that it's a net competitive advantage for white guys. If Seinfeld gets slammed with full force he'll lose like 2 shows and then stage a fake comeback where he recoups everything with interest. Meanwhile much lower violations have much stronger consequences for minority artists early in their career. If you're in a position of power this stuff mostly thins out your competitors.

Office Commando
Mar 23, 2005
The Invasion from Within

Office Commando has issued a correction as of 15:58 on Sep 12, 2019

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

imagine what would have happened to chris rock's career if he was publicly dating a teenage white girl at 38 in 1993 lmao

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tulip posted:

The "oh no we need to stop the callouts" thing is really ironic given that it's a net competitive advantage for white guys. If Seinfeld gets slammed with full force he'll lose like 2 shows and then stage a fake comeback where he recoups everything with interest. Meanwhile much lower violations have much stronger consequences for minority artists early in their career. If you're in a position of power this stuff mostly thins out your competitors.

Was an article somewhere that 'cancelled' was originally something in minority spaces to shut out predators and bad faith actors but has pretty much been completely destroyed by the internet and, like everything else under capitalism, perverted into yet another tool most useful for well-off white people to feed their narcissism and eliminate competition through reframing targeting the vulnerable in a way that can't be called 'punching down' while they themselves can easily shrug it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
I just have to say I feel like CircumCrippled is not getting the attention it deserves here