Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

D. Ebdrup posted:

You're posting in the infosec thread, and you can't make the definitely hugely massive leap of logic that if standards aren't open and implemented across different alternatives so that people have a choice, you're just putting money directly into Alphabets pockets since they make the vast majority of their money by tracking people?
what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Factor Mystic posted:

Great, then go back in time and tell web developers to actually test in other browsers.

Please tell Google's early in the set!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Alphabets primary source of income comes from the money people pay for getting their stuff shown to users via Google AdSense.
To increase the likelihood of users interacting with ads, Alphabet tracks as much about users as they think they can get away with (which is a lot even if you aren't using Chromium-based browsers, given fingerprinting technologies today).
If Google has an effective monopoly, future standards (even if open) can let Alphabet integrate systems to effectively know when people 1) get shown ads, 2) mouse over ads, or 3) click on ads (there are already existing systems to do some of this such as javascript, hidden pixels, guid tracking, et cetera ad nauseum - but I find it hard to believe that Alphabet doesn't want more of them).

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

The Fool posted:

Since this is the infosec thread, let me pose an infosec related hypothetical.

Let's say that @taviso has announced a sandbox escape vuln in webkit's font rendering engine. Say that it's in an old enough part of the engine that it also affects all forked versions of webkit as well.

Not only would this hypothetical affect every major browser except Firefox it would affect every minor browser on this list.

Now say that webkit fixes this vuln in their latest release. How many of those projects are actually going to update?

Which ones are actually operating off of a fork like Blink and would need to implement their own fix?

How quickly will MS patch Edge? Google patch Chrome? Apple patch Safari? How many people will actually apply those updates?

I'd hypothetically not use vulnerable browsers and stick to ones which get frequent patches (Chrome, Edge, Firefox, whatever)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

D. Ebdrup posted:

Alphabets primary source of income comes from the money people pay for getting their stuff shown to users via Google AdSense.

I was skeptical that this was still true, but I looked it up and you're right -- those little ads are still a full 86% of their revenue, according to Wiki. drat.

I would have expected things like Youtube and Android and Google Cloud to be bringing in a bigger slice of the pie these days.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

I was skeptical that this was still true, but I looked it up and you're right -- those little ads are still a full 86% of their revenue, according to Wiki. drat.

I would have expected things like Youtube and Android and Google Cloud to be bringing in a bigger slice of the pie these days.
Ad-revenue from youtube ads are probably accounted for by adsense, whereas stuff like youtube red and paid subscriptions (or whatever they're called) are probably a drop in the ocean, even if the people who do pay for it feel like they get their money's worth.
It's also worth noting that Google is by far the biggest advertiser on the internet, though there are many companies (including Amazon) who wants a bit of their cake (similar to how Google wants a bit of Amazons cake :yaybutt: cake).

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Google can gather all the info they want on me, I'm still blocking every ad they try to serve me

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Between Google pushing me news, services at work, Twitter, this thread, and really any other source of communication or news, I get absolutely inundated with infosec news and the world is terrible and everything is bad. I don't know if I can handle this and all the non-technical things that are wrong with the word. :11tea:

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer

Internet Explorer posted:

Between Google pushing me news, services at work, Twitter, this thread, and really any other source of communication or news, I get absolutely inundated with infosec news and the world is terrible and everything is bad. I don't know if I can handle this and all the non-technical things that are wrong with the word. :11tea:

Username/post combo

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Internet Explorer posted:

If it makes you feel better, the world has always been terrible, this is just the world being terrible at scale and in the cloud

:nsacloud:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I've been messing around with Azure Sentinel for a little bit, but I've realized that I have no experience with any other SIEM products and as a result have nothing to compare to.

The closest I've gotten has been setting up Graylog for log injestion and limited alerting.

Anyone have any products they'd like to recommend, or products that I should avoid?

e: I know Lain's written some words on the subject, and that logrythm should be a non-starter based on that

The Fool fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 11, 2019

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
We're looking at Deepwatch/Splunk now, and ELK for anything we cant cover outside of that.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Avoid splunk unless you have Infinity Dollars

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Avoid splunk unless you have Infinity Dollars

Yeah. If you have money to throw at a SIEM, Splunk is fine. But if you're going to work within nasty budget constraints, just ELK it and find a consultant to provide support.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I have had some intimate knowledge for Alphabet Chronicle passed along to me.

As a person who makes the majority of their money from Splunk consulting it scares the crap out of me. Mark my words, in 2-3 years Splunk will be dead and Chronicle will be King.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Mustache Ride posted:

I have had some intimate knowledge for Alphabet Chronicle passed along to me.

As a person who makes the majority of their money from Splunk consulting it scares the crap out of me. Mark my words, in 2-3 years Splunk will be dead and Chronicle will be King.

I'm ok with Splunk dying out (or maybe it'll force their pricing to be a little more sane) but I sincerely doubt Backstory will be as good as folks think it will be. That won't stop people switching in a heartbeat amd crowning it the best SIEM of all time because it's in Google's orbit.

Full disclosure: I work for a company that makes a pretty decent SIEM and I've seen enough hype to instantly be skeptical of the way folks in the industry have been salivating over Backstory.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Chronicle seems real neat.

2nd Rate Poster
Mar 25, 2004

i started a joke
Last I heard of Chronicle they still hadn't wired up an external facing api for their beta customers, and the move back into the goog hosed up their org a little bit. IMO GCP's place at #3 in the market shows google isn't quite good at selling to the enterprise. While I would like very much for the entire SIEM industry to die, I doubt very much that chronicle will overtake much of anything in 3 years.

Though I certainly wouldn't take that to mean you should keep investing time doing just splunk consulting, a lot of the other log solutions are better than splunk. It's already got the enterprise software death smell on it, it is just a matter of time until the market catches on.

2nd Rate Poster fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 12, 2019

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I work for a VAR, I do what they tell me. Believe me, I loving hate Splunk.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lain Iwakura posted:

Yeah. If you have money to throw at a SIEM, Splunk is fine. But if you're going to work within nasty budget constraints, just ELK it and find a consultant to provide support.

We got a pretty bug budget, and most of the other departments are Splunk'ed already.

I'd rather use ELK, but its not my project.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Mustache Ride posted:

I work for a VAR, I do what they tell me. Believe me, I loving hate Splunk.

I used to work for a VAR and had to deal with Splunk.

They’re the least worst product out there

That said, I have little faith in Google since they didn’t manage to wow us when we were actively considering switching our 12,000 person company to them.

Shuu
Aug 19, 2005

Wow!
At my previous job we used ELK + Elastalert (https://github.com/Yelp/elastalert), and it scaled decently as we grew from a 1k to 10k person company. Kibana has Watcher, but I found it pretty obnoxious and clunky whereas Elastalert queries ES every 5 minutes or so based on comparatively straightforward yaml rules you define. It also has Slack/Pagerduty integrations if that's a thing you care about, though I ended up writing a customized alert type that fit better with our IR workflows.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Shuu posted:

At my previous job we used ELK + Elastalert (https://github.com/Yelp/elastalert), and it scaled decently as we grew from a 1k to 10k person company. Kibana has Watcher, but I found it pretty obnoxious and clunky whereas Elastalert queries ES every 5 minutes or so based on comparatively straightforward yaml rules you define. It also has Slack/Pagerduty integrations if that's a thing you care about, though I ended up writing a customized alert type that fit better with our IR workflows.

We seem to be having issues deploying elastalert where I am. I haven't been following but one of our guys had been working on it for like a week.

Did you have any trouble setting it up?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I'd really like to read Lain's words on Chronicle. I heard an interview they did on Risky Business but even though Patrick gives good interview and I trust his integrity it's still a sponsor interview and :capitalism:?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Schadenboner posted:

I'd really like to read Lain's words on Chronicle. I heard an interview they did on Risky Business but even though Patrick gives good interview and I trust his integrity it's still a sponsor interview and :capitalism:?

We aren’t considering it and I’ll only review it when our licence is up for renewal.

However, Google has a notoriously bad history of giving long term support to its products even including those for the enterprise so take that as you will.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Lain Iwakura posted:

We aren’t considering it and I’ll only review it when our licence is up for renewal.

However, Google has a notoriously bad history of giving long term support to its products even including those for the enterprise so take that as you will.

Yeah...

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Lain Iwakura posted:

I assume that's why they spend so much time on the "We're Alphabet not :google:" talking-point thing.

I mean, I don't necessarily think that's a distinction with much difference but they sure are maintaining that it is.

:shrug:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Broadcom has started cutting Symantec employees, 12% by the end of the quarter.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

CommieGIR posted:

Broadcom has started cutting Symantec employees, 12% by the end of the quarter.

lol if their products weren't lovely enough. half of the people we talk with over there outright quit when the acquisition was announced, I'm betting that 12% is on top of that already reduced headcount

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

lol if their products weren't lovely enough. half of the people we talk with over there outright quit when the acquisition was announced, I'm betting that 12% is on top of that already reduced headcount

Yup. We're dumping them too by next year. Already replacing their SIEM solution we use.

Shuu
Aug 19, 2005

Wow!

PBS posted:

We seem to be having issues deploying elastalert where I am. I haven't been following but one of our guys had been working on it for like a week.

Did you have any trouble setting it up?

It's been like 5 years since we deployed it but no, I don't remember anything about it being particularly challenging. Sorry!

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I ran into something new that I have not been previously exposed to as I am not someone who usually seeks out event tickets on the secondary market and am curious how the scam works. Can someone clue me in?

I am in a big city and a popular non-sports event is occurring this weekend, and normally these types of events don't sell out but this weekend it did, driving people to private facebook event pages for tickets. I started looking for people selling tickets and immediately ran into a flood of brand new facebook accounts selling "tickets" to this event with payment via paypal/venmo. People are getting scammed left and right the entire group is just a flood of "are you a real person?" replies. So my questions are this:

1) Is it that easy to spool off a bajillion fake paypal/venmo accounts backed by a valid bank account?
2) Are these actually 'local' people scamming local event pages or a more orchestrated general bot-type scam operation?
3) How does facebook not detect this poo poo? (i know...)

I immediately started alerting moderators of these groups as it stunk of a scam operation from the start but am curious as to the scale and sophistication of this nonsense.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
The instances of that I've seen on Facebook have been individual Nigerians (in Nigeria, not locally) who appear to have changed the name and profile picture on their real accounts to be more western and white looking, to better fool victims. I was able to scroll down their profiles a bit and find what appear to be real conversations and pictures with their friends and family.

I assume they find events to target by searching for phrases like "sold out". I tracked the same accounts repeatedly trying to scam people in both Australia and the UK.

I have no idea how they successfully cash out, but there's obviously a very different cultural attitude at play where it's considered acceptable (even something to be proud of?) to be a blatant and unrepentant scammer.

Facebook clearly don't give a poo poo and didn't respond to any of my reports.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Rufus Ping posted:

The instances of that I've seen on Facebook have been individual Nigerians (in Nigeria, not locally) who appear to have changed the name and profile picture on their real accounts to be more western and white looking, to better fool victims. I was able to scroll down their profiles a bit and find what appear to be real conversations and pictures with their friends and family.

I assume they find events to target by searching for phrases like "sold out". I tracked the same accounts repeatedly trying to scam people in both Australia and the UK.

I have no idea how they successfully cash out, but there's obviously a very different cultural attitude at play where it's considered acceptable (even something to be proud of?) to be a blatant and unrepentant scammer.

Facebook clearly don't give a poo poo and didn't respond to any of my reports.

You could have just said you were on Facebook?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Schadenboner posted:

You could have just said you were on Facebook?

???

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Sorry if everything I wrote was already widely known. I'm only on Facebook very sparingly

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
What do ELK consultants do that would be needed? Are they helping with index layout, mapping, stuff like that? Are there any known good ELK consultants I should look at if I ever needed one?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Another day, another reason not to use LastPass

https://www.forbes.com/sites/daveywinder/2019/09/16/google-warns-lastpass-users-were-exposed-to-last-password-credential-leak/amp/

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/zackwhittaker/status/1173942683141906438

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe there's a better thread for this, but I have a friend who works in HR and they want to use their people skills to get hired as a social engineer. Does anyone have recommendations for certifications, courses or must-read books, or other tips about how to get a job doing soceng? They've already read the books by Hadnagy and Mitnick.