Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

lets hang out posted:

Romancing Saga 3 out November 11th, Scarlet Grace out December 3rd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yllzq7L9yMA

OH HELL YEAH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rinkles posted:

didn't know EA made an FFX sequel set in middle earth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPTuTWu9osw

Yep. The final boss is you going and literally punching out Sauron's big flaming eye.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the old lotr video games were way more badass than the modern ones

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
lmfao that linda in okage has an absurdly op healing spell that you will literally only get if you farm enough bad poetry golems for her to reach the level where she gets it because bad poetry golems are, the only enemy in the entire game, that give you enough exp to farm up to there as the single enemy whose values don't decrease after hitting a number cap

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Are they golems that create bad poetry themselves, or is their existence maintained by bad poetry placed in their heads?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFjnUGNHeJU

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Are they golems that create bad poetry themselves, or is their existence maintained by bad poetry placed in their heads?

idk ask the okage loremaster

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

What does the spinning wheel of elements in mana khemia synthesis do and why did anybody at Gust think it was a good idea

Its weirdly behind the Iris games in a few key ways but has good writing. Nikki is my powerful beast friend.

The wheel is incredibly easy to manipulate and land on the element you want, and you want to do that regularly to manipulate the quality of your items.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

The wheel is incredibly easy to manipulate and land on the element you want, and you want to do that regularly to manipulate the quality of your items.

how do I know what element I want

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ok despite this being the third time Im playing this game I still dont really understand what the hell happens to people Millenia munches on. It feels like a weird translation issue but the rest of the translation is fine?

Oh and the use of portraits to do body horror that couldnt be conveyed on primitive 3d models is extremely dope, I applaud you Grandia 2 designer who made that choice.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i will say as cool as the back half of okage has been my favorite scene was probably rosalyn's whole talk you get if your affection with her is highest, it's a really nice resolution to her motivation as a character that i was hoping to get so i'm glad the game remembered it if only as part of a weird sidequest

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

how do I know what element I want

Look at the color of the card. Red is fire, Blue water, etc. It'll give +10. The opposing element, aka the one to the direct left of it (not counting the null element spot), will give -10. The other elements do nothing, but null will either add or subtract up to five quality at random.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think the most surprising part of okage for me has been how well fleshed-out rosalyn is, just through her whole dynamic with ari and stan. the other party members are fun and even have some equally funny dynamics with each other but it really feels like without rosalyn in particular the game would be a lot weaker, same with marlene but she's a bit more obvious for how critical she is to the plot whereas rosalyn is just kinda, a person who's trying to figure her own poo poo out and getting pushed into roles without thinking about them too much

i wish this game's gameplay was as good as the writing lol

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Look at the color of the card. Red is fire, Blue water, etc. It'll give +10. The opposing element, aka the one to the direct left of it (not counting the null element spot), will give -10. The other elements do nothing, but null will either add or subtract up to five quality at random.

thanks

I wonder if I was blind or if the tutorial was worthless

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Colonel posted:

i think the most surprising part of okage for me has been how well fleshed-out rosalyn is, just through her whole dynamic with ari and stan. the other party members are fun and even have some equally funny dynamics with each other but it really feels like without rosalyn in particular the game would be a lot weaker, same with marlene but she's a bit more obvious for how critical she is to the plot whereas rosalyn is just kinda, a person who's trying to figure her own poo poo out and getting pushed into roles without thinking about them too much

i wish this game's gameplay was as good as the writing lol
crates

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Speaking of which, the Turks have been buffed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtnfYYlvCVA

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

The Colonel posted:

i will say as cool as the back half of okage has been my favorite scene was probably rosalyn's whole talk you get if your affection with her is highest, it's a really nice resolution to her motivation as a character that i was hoping to get so i'm glad the game remembered it if only as part of a weird sidequest

and then the guy standing in the background somehow ends up convinced she was talking to him and hands her her ultimate sword, utterly confounding Rosalyn since you're still the only one capable of seeing anyone in that town.

definitely agree it's the best/funniest ending to that quest (second place is probably getting your starting girlfriend by never expressing an opinion on anything, who congratulates you on complete lack of self-improvement).

okage is a great game.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Nick Buntline posted:

and then the guy standing in the background somehow ends up convinced she was talking to him and hands her her ultimate sword, utterly confounding Rosalyn since you're still the only one capable of seeing anyone in that town.

definitely agree it's the best/funniest ending to that quest (second place is probably getting your starting girlfriend by never expressing an opinion on anything, who congratulates you on complete lack of self-improvement).

okage is a great game.

i like that if you talk to him afterwards he's like "ahh... figures that she didn't actually see me... my life's been a whole run of failure... but you know, it might still be worth trying again"

really love how okage balances all of its humor with like, genuinely sweet character writing

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Amppelix posted:

Did they change this at some point? I played Grandia 2 on hard mode in its entirety when it came out on Steam. It was my first playthrough, and I had absolutely no issue with the game. It wasn't a sleepwalk but I certainly didn't have to bust out esoteric item strats to survive normal encounters. I thought the difficulty level was quite satisfying actually. Just enough where you need to actually think about your strategy for most fights, but not so much that there's only one correct strategy and if you're not following it you die.

normal encounters no but bosses will destroy you. i basically had to eat every single buff and debuff item against the final boss just to level the playing field. the fight against melfice almost did me in, too, which is of course a huge change from the last time i played grandia 2, where i won without receiving a single damaging action because i wanted to see if it was possible to get the "no damage taken" victory quote against one of the major bosses

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Apropos of almost nothing, is Saga Frontier 2 worth playing or is it just stupid pretty in screenshots

Namnesor posted:

SaGa Frontier 2 is, like all SaGa games, a minefield of inscrutable mechanics with zero in-game explanation that somehow comes together to make something that's actually pretty fun and cool.

counterpoint: saga frontier 2, while cool, is probably one of the cruelest and most unforgiving of saga games. it's an rng-fest from the get-go and enemies don't even bother to scale to your BR, it just throws random encounters with hundreds of thousands of hp at you in wil's second or third chapter.

it also includes an absolutely massive trap for first-timers in that the game gives you elemental melee attacks that are reasonably good at the beginning of the game, and even inflict free debuffs, but they can't spark any techs so a few chapters down the line you'll be completely underspecced and it'll be way too dangerous to grind sparks at that point

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Sep 12, 2019

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Also there's a mandatory war battle that's super hard in ways that feel frustratingly random.

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

So I think I'm about halfway through Trails of Cold Steel I and I'm loving it. But after seeing the post of easy to miss stuff in the other games, anything I should know about in this one? I'm just passed the Garden Party where we finally learn the name of the terrorist group for reference. (I don't think that counts as a spoiler of any kind).

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The missables are mostly just for the ranking stuff outside of sidequests.

It's easiest to get them in cold steel on new game plus.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mrfreeze posted:

So I think I'm about halfway through Trails of Cold Steel I and I'm loving it. But after seeing the post of easy to miss stuff in the other games, anything I should know about in this one? I'm just passed the Garden Party where we finally learn the name of the terrorist group for reference. (I don't think that counts as a spoiler of any kind).

Don't worry if you're collecting book volumes and miss one, you can buy them at the Pawn Shop late in the game to complete the set. And chances are you will, because some of them have infuriatingly slim windows.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Saga Frontier 2 is one of my favorite games of all time but going in without some foreknowledge can make things really difficult later. Now when I play it, I always grind high level techs on that skeleton in Wil's first chapter. Dueling is really good if you can pull off an instant death move (works most of the time). Learn as much magic with Wil as possible in his first chapter too, that pays off later.

The real frustrating part of the game is knowing who to sink time into and who is just like a one-chapter joiner. You'll have a final party towards the end of the game for a few chapters but you have so many people who come and go and they may not fit into the characters you already have well.

That said I played and beat it when it came out and didn't have tons of internet resources so it's not like it's an impossible game or anything. It does have the propensity to become frustrating due to RNG like most SaGa games.

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't worry if you're collecting book volumes and miss one, you can buy them at the Pawn Shop late in the game to complete the set. And chances are you will, because some of them have infuriatingly slim windows.

Yeah I've just been buying out the pawn shop each chapter because I haven't seen any particularly good reason to bother chasing that stuff down.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

lets hang out posted:

Romancing Saga 3 out November 11th, Scarlet Grace out December 3rd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yllzq7L9yMA

woah its even coming out on the vita

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm gonna link something I wrote for the following Chapter, because there's a lot of side-content where you can gently caress yourself over accidentally. You can go ahead and click the spoilers, they're just for anyone who hasn't played the game or gotten to Chapter 8 yet.

gracias, although I don't really feel like doing most of it

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
A twitch streamer who takes songs from chat and makes loops of them with different instruments was given Time's Scar and it came out pretty awesome.
https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/d37meg/chrono_cross_times_scar_epically_looped_with_many/

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
lol i overleveled to gently caress and made the last boss of okage super easy. cool ending though

i definitely couldn't call okage, uh, one of the best ps2 jrpgs lol, but it's definitely one of the most interesting and there's enough really cool writing and visuals that i don't regret playing through it

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I have a soft spot for this terrible game. The gameplay is pretty fun if you want to play FFX with worse character progression.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The Third Age also has a neat mode where after you beat a chapter of the story you could replay major fights as the bad guys and wipe the floor with the PCs with a weird octopus dude.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I seem to remember the middle part of the game being very annoying if you didn't build your characters in a specific way, but I haven't played it since it first came out and I was even dumber back then.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

It annoys me that emulating Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne Maniacs Chronicle Edition (that title, man) I can't seem to get shadows and transparency working on hardware rendering. I end up with no/glitchy shadows, people and lighting appearing through walls, or Demi-Fiend's face implodes.

I mean...I can deal, but meeeeh. I'm spoiled by being able to scale up texture resolution, and fancy anti aliasing, and now it's all blurry native PS2 resolution.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
pcsx2's hardware rendering has always had problems with certain games

klonoa 2 is my favorite example of a game that has just gotten more and more hosed with time and nobody's ever really bothered trying to fix it

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Yeah, I'm used to dealing with wonkiness and having to have different set ups and hacks for different games. Nocturne is particularly weird, as the different versions seem to have different problems. I can get the basic US version working perfectly, but this one just refuses to work right at all off of software rendering.

The first time this happened, I about had a heart attack. Not my screenshot, from someone else who had the same problem

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Yeah, I'm used to dealing with wonkiness and having to have different set ups and hacks for different games. Nocturne is particularly weird, as the different versions seem to have different problems. I can get the basic US version working perfectly, but this one just refuses to work right at all off of software rendering.

The first time this happened, I about had a heart attack. Not my screenshot, from someone else who had the same problem

I don't see the problem.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I do appreciate Chiaki's dedication to All Denim, All The Time.

Where would one even buy denim calf high boots?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Isn't she supposed to be rich or something? She probably had them custom-made.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Full denim is the closest you can get to combat armor while still being clothes so I guess she's just going as far as she can without dipping into some Mythril.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

mrfreeze posted:

There's one hidden sidequest on each free day--occasionally two--and one on each field study.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The Colonel posted:

the old lotr video games were way more badass than the modern ones

Counterpoint:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J.R.R._Tolkien%27s_The_Lord_of_the_Rings,_Vol._I_(1994_video_game)

Unless by 'awesome' you mean 'buggy-as-gently caress trainwreck' then sure.

The White Dragon posted:

counterpoint: saga frontier 2, while cool, is probably one of the cruelest and most unforgiving of saga games. it's an rng-fest from the get-go and enemies don't even bother to scale to your BR, it just throws random encounters with hundreds of thousands of hp at you in wil's second or third chapter.

it also includes an absolutely massive trap for first-timers in that the game gives you elemental melee attacks that are reasonably good at the beginning of the game, and even inflict free debuffs, but they can't spark any techs so a few chapters down the line you'll be completely underspecced and it'll be way too dangerous to grind sparks at that point

The final strategic battle is quite literally only winnable by doing a very specific set of commands while also hoping the AI doesn't start moving until a certain turn. If you don't turtle properly or they move a turn too soon you cannot win.

SaGa Frontier 2 is an unquestionably bad game. I think the only neat thing in it was the duel(?) fights Gustav would have with monsters where you could enter commands and, iirc, do guaranteed skill sparks with the right combos.