Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Bzzzt

and they’re not called “degrees”.

Alright, I guess I'm in the barrel this evening then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Office Commando
Mar 23, 2005
The Invasion from Within

Ugato posted:

I just have to say I feel like CircumCrippled is not getting the attention it deserves here

they're a gentle soul

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Here's my hot take: most of what Mel Brooks did is still acceptable and doable today. The people who think we're too prudish for Blazing Saddles think the punchline was "the n word" and not "white racists are buffoons."

Tastes have become more realist and subdued so the pacing and flat absurdity aren't likely to sell as well but that's a very different thing.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Was an article somewhere that 'cancelled' was originally something in minority spaces to shut out predators and bad faith actors but has pretty much been completely destroyed by the internet and, like everything else under capitalism, perverted into yet another tool most useful for well-off white people to feed their narcissism and eliminate competition through reframing targeting the vulnerable in a way that can't be called 'punching down' while they themselves can easily shrug it off.

I'm not online enough to really speak with authority on the history, but the last part seems like a pretty accurate description of the present state.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
"calling out predators is cultural appropraition" is a pretty hot take but i cant actually remember a specific time when a powerful person called out a not powerful one for sexual assault and destroyed their career that way

Al! has issued a correction as of 16:45 on Sep 12, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Al! posted:

"calling out predators is cultural appropraition" is a pretty hot take but i cant actually remember a specific time when a powerful person called out a powerful one for sexual assault and destroyed their career that way

Kirsten Gillebrand and Al Franken? And that's basically ended both careers as succdems are still pissed about it.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

those are two of the most powerful people in the country

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

oh i see i was missing a "not" there

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

What Seinfeld is afraid of is everyone realizing he was never funny, and he only got popular because the late 80s & 90s were a cultural death rattle.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Larry David is funny

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

What Seinfeld is afraid of is everyone realizing he was never funny, and he only got popular because the late 80s & 90s were a cultural death rattle.

Bingo. The initial thing that made him go off on college kids was when a joke of his failed where he was mocking the effeminate gay man stereotype and it went over like a lead balloon and so he quickly pivoted to "sensitive college kids!" rather than consider for a moment that acting like a sissy poof isn't the easy ticket to laughs that it was back in his heyday.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

His observational comedy was loving dire. drat dude, you're right. Dads do go crazy over the thermostat. And how about that airplane food.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

What's the DEAL with observational humor?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Tulip posted:

Here's my hot take: most of what Mel Brooks did is still acceptable and doable today. The people who think we're too prudish for Blazing Saddles think the punchline was "the n word" and not "white racists are buffoons."

Tastes have become more realist and subdued so the pacing and flat absurdity aren't likely to sell as well but that's a very different thing.

I'm not online enough to really speak with authority on the history, but the last part seems like a pretty accurate description of the present state.

FWIW the first result when I googled "blazing saddles problematic" was a medium post basically making this exact point so I think it's place in the canon is pretty well-secured for now. I think the scene where he takes himself hostage really hammers the joke home also I love that scene

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

His observational comedy was loving dire. drat dude, you're right. Dads do go crazy over the thermostat. And how about that airplane food.

yeah I used to like the show when I was a kid so I went with my dad to one of his shows and even my dad was like why did we like this guy again? and the answer is basically

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Larry David is funny

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

could i BE any more sarcastic

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Ugato posted:

I just have to say I feel like CircumCrippled is not getting the attention it deserves here

Anti-circumcision people have this amazing combination of being (a) pretty obviously right and (b) so loving weird that I'm tempted to think they're wrong anyway.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/libcomorg/status/981520015018156033

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/libcomorg/status/981533321606856704?s=20

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Anti-circumcision people have this amazing combination of being (a) pretty obviously right and (b) so loving weird that I'm tempted to think they're wrong anyway.

They aren't even funny, just sad, really.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

if saying offensive things instead of not funny things was the thing people objected to, how do you explain jeselnik

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

found out that the director of that movie is Jewish so that's an extra layer of lol

for comedy, all you need is set-up, punchline, repeat. but so much mainstream stuff is either Nanette-style preachiness or Joe Rogan-style "lol triggered little human being snowflake" mockery. there's still good stuff out there but it's hard to find

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Was an article somewhere that 'cancelled' was originally something in minority spaces to shut out predators and bad faith actors but has pretty much been completely destroyed by the internet and, like everything else under capitalism, perverted into yet another tool most useful for well-off white people to feed their narcissism and eliminate competition through reframing targeting the vulnerable in a way that can't be called 'punching down' while they themselves can easily shrug it off.
idk but it's true. the most visible cases of "canceling" are between people that are already well off and career minded, and at the end of the day it's really no skin off their asses. activists that engage in this against other people don't have that luxury, and you'd better believe that it disproportionately affects people who are less privileged

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

all I can think of is a Planescape: Torment mod where someone has the entirety of Bee Movie tattooed across their body as some sort of penance for comedy never performed

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Victory Position posted:

all I can think of is a Planescape: Torment mod where someone has the entirety of Bee Movie tattooed across their body as some sort of penance for comedy never performed
internet shitposting memes are the future of comedy

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Victory Position posted:

And what's the deal with changing the nature of a man?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Victory Position posted:

The howling winds of pandemonium, if you listen to them, are whispering the script of Bee Movie

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Victory Position posted:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 222 days!

Not sure why you would decide not to explain the funny shirt.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

lol who wants to pick their own insurance plan

edit: poo poo not the debate thread. just pretend this is a response to the inevitable hot takes about Medicare for All

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Atrocious Joe posted:

lol who wants to pick their own insurance plan

upper middle class dickheads who want to look down on leeches and welfare queens

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I love how privilege is now regularly used as excuse to justify horrendous regressive actions.

Some guy at the MIT Media Lab wrote a Medium post about resigning from his position there due to it being funded by Jeffrey Epstein, and included an addendum about how people with less privilege are justified in staying at the lab funded by rich pedophiles. Because leaving might endanger their career opportunities.

Which isn't completely wrong, but is also just completely morally bankrupt.

quote:

*** A friend pointed out that I was able to choose to step away from the Media Lab because of my privilege: I’ve got money in the bank, I’ve got a supportive partner, I am at a stage of my career where I can reasonably believe I’ll find another high prestige job, I’m a cis-gendered straight white dude. She wanted me to be clearer about the fact that not everyone is going to be able to make the same decision I did.

She’s right. There are people who are going to remain working at the Media Lab because they sincerely believe that we finally have the opportunity to fix some of the deep structural problems of the place — I respect them and I will work hard to support them. But there’s also people who are going to continue at the lab because it’s the best opportunity they have to develop their own careers and reach a point where they’ve got more flexibility to make decisions like the one I made. I respect them too — they are the people doing the work that makes institutions work, but they rarely have the power to make decisions that steer an institution towards its values.

So thank you for all the kind words about bravery. Truth is I’m privileged enough to afford to be brave. For those of you who love the Media Lab and want to see it sail through these rough waters, please take time to reach out to people who may not be able to be as visible in their next steps. Make sure they’re doing okay. Support them whether their decision is to leave or to stay. So many of my colleagues at the Media Lab right now are hurting, and they need your support and love too. Hope we can redirect some of that love folks are sharing with me to them too.
https://medium.com/@EthanZ/on-me-and-the-media-lab-715bfc707f6f

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

get that OUT of my face posted:

you just know that when Mel Brooks dies, an infantry corps of checkmark scolds are going to call him out for the out-of-context "up yours" scene in Blazing Saddles and his entire career of joking about Nazis. the state of comedy is so, so, so bad right now

https://twitter.com/Shanemgillis/status/1172340437752807424?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/BriscoeCain/status/1172339197690052610

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/zei_nabq/status/1172348786158518272?s=20
https://twitter.com/bendreyfuss/status/1172347273780633600?s=20

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

For ages I didn't get Seinfeld, until I watched one of the stand-up sessions and I thought 'Oh, this guy is supposed to be a terrible comedian! Oh, they're all terrible people!' and then I got it.

And now it turns out he was actually supposed to be funny in the show?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
do the takes need to be from twitter?

quote:

Money is just a medium of exchange. A capitalistic country with only money and no production will not ever exist. In a capitalistic system, the sweat of your labor or business is tokenized, these tokens you can use to buy stuff. The more tokens you have, the more you can acquire goods and services and the more you are taxed. The tokens therefore kinda act like free-flowing proof of everyone's labor and business.

In a communistic system the proof of one's labor is largely categorical in nature. You get assigned to farm, you get assigned to mine coal, you get assigned to do very particular jobs. It's a manager's job to keep everyone working. The state defines the multitudes of categories of jobs there should be. But everyone receives the same amount of rations, at least if we're aiming for a truly perfect communism. There's no free-flowing medium of exchange here. Exchange of products and services are slow, very slow. Invention of new categories of jobs is also slow. And since there is no additional economic benefit to anyone to do better in their job, or to improve the various processes of production, innovations are also slow. There would generally be less ambitious people in a truly communistic society.

We should really look at capitalism as a spectrum rather than a fixed point idea. It can have variants. Laissez faire capitalism is what the Left really opposes. But actually no country in the world right now is fully-blown laissez faire. Government regulations, progressive taxation, minimum wage, welfare benefits, and even corporate social responsibility all run contrary to laissez-faire. Most countries in the world right now practices a capitalistic mode of production, with money as medium of exchange, but with various protections for the citizenry. That's where the discussion should be. On how those protections can be amplified.

The real problem with our time's capitalism right now is oligarchy. Oligarchs influence governments around the world to hinder the growth of those protections. And as I personally see it, there's a 50/50 chance it may become worse, or less severe in the next 100 years. My only reason for optimism is that corporations were actually more powerful in the past. The British and Dutch East India Companies and the corporations that dominated the Industrial Revolution, they were far more powerful in terms of how they can bend governments into their will. Yes, today, there are lobbysts and wealthy folks who donate money politically, and we should advocate to end them, but corporations in the past were way worse. They had armies. There were no anti-trust legislations against them unlike now. They had no securities regulator. They had spies. They could spend any amount of money doing some secret undertaking and they can do that because there was no rigorous financial accounting regulations at the time. They became less powerful come 20th century. It's up to us to make them even less powerful this century.

The far future lies in plentiful of cheap energy (fusion energy or whatever) and efficient automation. By that time there should be a Universal Basic Income (UBI). And the future's monetary system may be different. Government prints money for UBI, government unprints money through energy taxation for example. Or something like that. A similar system is said to be already hapenning right now in fact in the form of Modern Monetary Theory. But essentially, such a system will still be capitalism. Money will remain circulating, serving as everyone's free-flowing proof of labor, business and/or universal basic income. Everyone will still have rights to their chosen labor and trade or the lack thereof. Adam Smith's invisible hand will remain observable in every trade of products and services. Technological innovations will keep happening, innovations that may not happen at all in a communistic system.

Capitalism is a spectrum. It's up to us to force our governments to steer it to the side that is good for everyone.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Samovar posted:

For ages I didn't get Seinfeld, until I watched one of the stand-up sessions and I thought 'Oh, this guy is supposed to be a terrible comedian! Oh, they're all terrible people!' and then I got it.

And now it turns out he was actually supposed to be funny in the show?

Knowing Seinfeld is actually a hack comedian only makes the show better in retrospect.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

quote:

The real problem with our time's capitalism right now is oligarchy. Oligarchs influence governments around the world to hinder the growth of those protections. And as I personally see it, there's a 50/50 chance it may become worse, or less severe in the next 100 years.
Wow, really getting risky on that bet.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
The other 50 is for things staying the same. Can't be too prudent in your predictions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

do the takes need to be from twitter?
hell, it's better when it's in a dumb medium post or whatever