Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Bigass Moth posted:

I don’t want to talk politics or religion with you, sorry every single coworker.

Yup, this is always the worst thing and a greased rail into HR issuing uncomfortable blanket rules about workplace conversations, in a corp environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

5er posted:

Yup, this is always the worst thing and a greased rail into HR issuing uncomfortable blanket rules about workplace conversations, in a corp environment.

We have a couple very conservative members in my group, and it can get uncomfortable fast. I usually just ask them to tone it down and put on headphones...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Got an email today that a guy in sales sent via someone else (the guy doesn't like asking the right person for some reason, always has to bounce messages off the wrong team). They are talking to a current customer that has an existing Wi-Fi network deployment that is using the vendor we are partnered with and as far as I am aware is working fine, but this sales person wants us to put forward a proposal for an alternative vendor. There's no criteria listed as to what might make an alternative viable/not viable - I highly suspect it's cost but that's not explicitly spelled out. Bear in mind the current network exists and a huge amount of cost in wireless deployments is the survey and physical installation, and every single 'cheap' Wi-Fi I've ever touched has been poo poo in different ways, I am not really sure what they're trying to achieve. I'm going to assume they've made some big claim and now need someone to back it up for them.

In any case, it's a request that is being archived until it gets brought up again, which will probably never happen.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Bigass Moth posted:

I don’t want to talk politics or religion with you, sorry every single coworker.
Which is funny, because someone just posted on our internal SharePoint some big religious thing about submitting to Jesus. Everyone in my office laughed, but I feel like it's not really appropriate.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Unless you work for an explicitly political or a religious organisation (at which point you're probably all on the same 'team' anyway) there is zero good that comes from having political opinions at work. Other than trying to get everybody to unionise.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I have never had any trouble with anyone so far by immediately and obviously changing the subject and barging on ahead on safer ground. I work for a pack of evangelicals, it would be disastrous to engage in a sincere religious discussion.

Hail Satan.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

tactlessbastard posted:

SoO informed me today that he doesn't have time to handle all this inventory and purchasing* so that's all on me now (as pertains to my division). I reckon by this time next year I'll be the head of my own little business inside the business. I should get new cards.

My division is literally being spun off to a new location. It's going to be a mountain of work getting everyone and everything moved but I'll be the king of my own little hill with no executives in the same building :cool:

Our owner slapped me on the back yesterday and said I'm the only one who they are absolutely sure will turn in good results with transparency. Where the hell was this support 6 months ago? I'm doing the same work, but now I'm being insouciant just this side insolence and everything is coming up roses.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

EconOutlines posted:

Someone dropped the ball.

We converted from mapped shared drives of ~2GB for PST files 1 year ago to O365 and one user didn't have her PST portion converted to O365.

Fast forward to our Windows 10 rollout this month and a large chunk of her sensitive data is gone with new machines issued. Evidence needed for removals, suspensions, drug-free workplace, etc.

Assistant HR Director gets involved, elevates it to OIT national since local doesn't know what's going on. Spent 72 hours tracking down data through backups until it was found apparently.

shouldn't, ya know, that stuff be printed out into a permanent file?

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

incoherent posted:

shouldn't, ya know, that stuff be printed out into a permanent file?

The number of employees (5000+, not including contractors, intermittent, fee basis or students) is overwhelming with an HR FTE of 68. Also, we're finally getting away from paper files as an archive source, so it looks less like an episode of hoarders.

Paper files mainly serve as formal evidence folders for upper management review and make determinations on personnel actions.

Anyways, watching the madness that ensued was quite amusing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

tactlessbastard posted:

My division is literally being spun off to a new location. It's going to be a mountain of work getting everyone and everything moved but I'll be the king of my own little hill with no executives in the same building :cool:

Our owner slapped me on the back yesterday and said I'm the only one who they are absolutely sure will turn in good results with transparency. Where the hell was this support 6 months ago? I'm doing the same work, but now I'm being insouciant just this side insolence and everything is coming up roses.

If they can see your insolence, they know where you stand. It's the quiet ones they gotta worry over :pseudo:.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Faculty want me to password-protect computer in a room that only a bi-weekly club ever meets in, because they worry a janitor is using it as a wack-shack after hours.

They won't change the pin code on the door because 'facilities should still have access to clean the room'... which is only ever occupied for one hour every two weeks. Ignoring of course the problem that they won't let facilities have access to regular ol' locked classrooms because they're afraid they'll steal stuff... but that won't stop the faculty from complaining that those rooms sure build up dust pretty bad.

They are weirdly resistant to giving me the door's pin, so I can just go take care of the issue. Because I'm not a club member or actual faculty. Or, a fuckin janitor either. Instead, they expect me to just stick around one of these weekdays until 6pm so someone can let me in to take care of it.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

5er posted:

Faculty want me to password-protect computer in a room that only a bi-weekly club ever meets in, because they worry a janitor is using it as a wack-shack after hours.

They won't change the pin code on the door because 'facilities should still have access to clean the room'... which is only ever occupied for one hour every two weeks. Ignoring of course the problem that they won't let facilities have access to regular ol' locked classrooms because they're afraid they'll steal stuff... but that won't stop the faculty from complaining that those rooms sure build up dust pretty bad.

They are weirdly resistant to giving me the door's pin, so I can just go take care of the issue. Because I'm not a club member or actual faculty. Or, a fuckin janitor either. Instead, they expect me to just stick around one of these weekdays until 6pm so someone can let me in to take care of it.

Come in at noon that day :effort:

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Bigass Moth posted:

I've got a coworker that keeps leaving religious materials around the office for people to have. I keep shuffling it to the circular file as soon as I see it.

He also keeps trying to have us have his chiropractor in for a lunch and learn.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

The Fool posted:

I am totally over getting meeting requests for an hour of my time a week from now to go over something that would take 30 seconds to 5 minutes in Teams or face to face.

Also when people bring in engineers to get bogged down in implementation details during high level overview meetings so only a small fraction of the agenda actually gets covered.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

My boss went to Eton and is pro-brexit holy poo poo do I not want to talk politics with him

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I've got a coworker that keeps leaving religious materials around the office for people to have. I keep shuffling it to the circular file as soon as I see it.

Leave random materials for other religions beside their own and see how big a fit they either pitch or try to conceal.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Leave random materials for other religions beside their own and see how big a fit they either pitch or try to conceal.

Scientology and Hare Krishna for maximum effect

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Wicca is also good

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Make sure to include some Satanic Temple literature.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Khisanth Magus posted:

Make sure to include some Satanic Temple literature.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/449660-hail-satan-opening-prayer-at-alaska-government-meeting-prompts-walkouts

Hail Satan

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Double posting but I don't care.

Since manuals aren't really a thing any more, I propose that RTFM be replaced with WTFT

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

n0tqu1tesane posted:

He also keeps trying to have us have his chiropractor in for a lunch and learn.

This sounds like a guy at my work who left a few years ago to work at hp, especially the lunch and learn thing.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

The Fool posted:

Hail Satan

You got it, baby

Anyway, it's not pissing me off because it's not in my department but there's an MFC up front that had one technician from the printer leasing company here starting last Thursday, two technicians here since Monday, and a third starting today trying to get that copier working. Someone is having a lovely day for sure.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Assuming it's leased, I can't imagine they haven't already hit the break-even point on replacing it and examining it back at the depot/warehouse/garage.

poo poo that pisses me off: Ripple effects. I was deep in the interview process for a remote contract. A process that had began dragging out even further as the process went on.

I finally just got off the phone with the recruiter (who was supposed to have an update on Friday, but draaaaaaaag), and the contract isn't remote any more. It's on-site. But still a contract.

Based on the conversations, it sounds like the end-client got burned HARD by some remote contractor. The recruiter sounded like she was about to cry or strangle someone.

Wizard of the Deep fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 11, 2019

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I swear if I have one more loving person tell me that I "Should send out instructions on how to do this..." after not reading the last 3 loving emails I sent on "how to do this" I am going to lose my poo poo.

I usually tell them that I've sent an email to the entire organization, and to search their inbox for it.
Typical response is: "I didn't see it" or "I don't read those" or "I deleted it, can you send it to me again?"

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I feel your pain. Ive gone as far as making instructional videos, with any required links on a SharePoint site. There is even a FAQ.Yet instill get asked for instructions

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

bitterandtwisted posted:

My boss went to Eton and is pro-brexit holy poo poo do I not want to talk politics with him

I went to one of those super conservative and traditional boarding schools, and they can be... very one sided.

Place I went to is called ‘Clifton College’, a shitter of a boarding school.

Edit: team leader took 3 days off without a word since he can self sign his leave (Thursday/Friday this week is Korean Thanksgiving, so he took Mon-Wed off). Except he messaged me on Monday at 10.30 AM (while I was busy getting free health check)that he changed a column type for a table in DB and I also need to do one of his works. Pretty sure CEO told me I am excluded from any works though.

I did tell him that one of the db parameter setting screwed up and so one table has default charset as latin1_swedish_ci, but yeah he changed that table’s one of column type to TEXT without specifying charset, and that reverted charset from utf8mb4 to latin1_swedish and thus changed Korean texts into bunch of ??? question marks. Good thing I shoved daily backup at 4AM plus that table is for user reviews only so it was easy fix.

And this clown also sent half the dev team to opposite end of the office while I was busy getting my free health check, because someone in Project Planning complained that he has to keep walking back and forth between his desk and the devs, and therefore insisted every dev working on his projects be moved right next to him. 6 people in the team (out of 11) joined the company within past 2 months, and they already realized that devs are bottom of the hierarchy here. Well maybe he should just dissolve dev team and move everyone next to each person in Project Planning.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 12, 2019

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I'm kinda glad I'm not going into network administration because replacing switches and adding a 2U UPS in a cramped space by yourself is loving miserable.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Circular file is the best name i've heard for a trash can this week year

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

TheParadigm posted:

Circular file is the best name i've heard for a trash can this week year

That one is good, but lately, I've taken to my supervisor's choice of phrase of "chuck it in the gently caress-it bucket". I'm sure it's a reference to something, but it's just so damned catchy.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Pissing me off: This Dell SC5020. Do not buy these. I tried to get my company to go with Nimble or Pure but instead they went with this poo poo, where dedupe was patched in 2 revisions ago. Now we're out of space and have to buy more disks less then a year into owning this thing because it's not worth a single poo poo and uses loving tiering in an all-flash config, for some ungodly reason.

Also pissing me off: My wireless mouse scroll wheel keeps flipping around when I use it. Does anyone have a good full-size wireless mouse recommendation?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Also pissing me off: My wireless mouse scroll wheel keeps flipping around when I use it. Does anyone have a good full-size wireless mouse recommendation?

I love my Logitech MX Master 2. Fits my big hands, well placed buttons (I never hit a thumb button by accident) and configuration options, scroll wheel can be switched between smooth and notched or auto-switch based on speed, very reasonable battery life.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

nielsm posted:

I love my Logitech MX Master 2. Fits my big hands, well placed buttons (I never hit a thumb button by accident) and configuration options, scroll wheel can be switched between smooth and notched or auto-switch based on speed, very reasonable battery life.

It was a toss-up between this and the MX Ergo until I saw the thumb-wheel wasn't clicky.

:(

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Assuming it's leased, I can't imagine they haven't already hit the break-even point on replacing it and examining it back at the depot/warehouse/garage.

Lol they've got a 4th guy here today.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Pissing me off: This Dell SC5020. Do not buy these. I tried to get my company to go with Nimble or Pure but instead they went with this poo poo, where dedupe was patched in 2 revisions ago. Now we're out of space and have to buy more disks less then a year into owning this thing because it's not worth a single poo poo and uses loving tiering in an all-flash config, for some ungodly reason.

I'm actually debating on a few Unity XT boxes. Little more flexibility than Pure and cheaper.

Unsure how I feel about Nimble now after the HPE takeover. Our older units are all EoL because HPE wants to get their own chassis out there. We had a good amount invested in that old hardware.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Moey posted:

I'm actually debating on a few Unity XT boxes. Little more flexibility than Pure and cheaper.

Unsure how I feel about Nimble now after the HPE takeover. Our older units are all EoL because HPE wants to get their own chassis out there. We had a good amount invested in that old hardware.

It looks like those boxes do in-line reduction, which I believe is what Pure does. I'd be fine with literally any other SAN at this point. We moved here from a IBM v7000 so I guess it's better than that by a little but I'm amazed at how bad of an experience this has been.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Really sick of Log360 (eventlog Analyzer or whatever its' actual name is)

Honestly it probably wouldn't be so bad if I was the one that set it up so I understood how it operates, but it just randomly decided to stop capturing some events from the ASA at a client; it is getting up to debug level events, I've confirmed this, but it just seems to be ignoring TCP syn/ack/fin, blocked connections and a bunch of other messages that client actually cares about (or rather has to log for compliance). Basically seems to ignore IDS/IPS events but it happily reports that I logged into the device and started hammering in different commands.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Moey posted:

Happy with the one Nimble we have so far, though I'm extremely paranoid about HPE turning it into poo poo (like they do with everything else). There were already warnings of that because when we started talking to Nimble they weren't bought yet and the quoting process was extremely easy, as in the sales guy sent me a spreadsheet of pricing immediately on request with no bullshit about registering opportunities and all that other crap. By the time we got to actually purchasing, HPE had locked it all behind their usual lovely sales process (not that they're the only ones, I hate every SAN vendor for doing this) and it was like pulling teeth to actually get the thing purchased. We ended up going through a VAR simply because that's how HPE does business and we couldn't just easily order the drat thing even though we knew what we wanted. I mean technically you can on the site but I firmly believe HPE makes their site a pile of poo poo on purpose so that ordering things off it becomes harder than just asking a VAR to spec the parts.

As far as HPE's own chassis, assuming the new one we have is from HPE, my biggest complaint would be that the thing's huge, depthwise. Something like 35-38" deep. (Also 4U, but eh). Seems absurd given that it's full of 2.5" flash drives and as far as I know they're not spaced depthwise through the unit and are all at the front. So far operations/configuration-wise however, no complaints, and given that no one has time to be a storage admin anymore I'm a big fan of the simplicity and ease of setup. Guess we'll see how long that lasts.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Health check!!

On Monday I collapsed at work and got rushed to the hospital. The issue? Vertigo. I sort of tuned out the doc when she said it was actually quite common. All I know is that I was laying on the ground sweating like crazy and thinking that maybe I beat my dad on when I had a stroke. Old Man went at 54, and I'm 47. Apparently I was also hilariously entertaining to the EMTs and ER staff with my smart-rear end commentary, including the famous "I don't care where you take me so long as it's in-network" and "my pants are down around my ankles, my underwear is half-off, I know you need a urine sample but my bladder is feeling a tad shy at the moment."

I don't remember any of it, and it's only because my family told me about it the next day that I even heard about it.

Had to spend the night in the hospital, got a CT scan and MRI done to rule out any issues with my brain. I'm pleased to announce that I actually do have one, contrary to my sister's opinion. I'm a fat bastard, but apparently that hasn't impacted my heart, veins or arteries just yet. Only bad moment was when the nutritionist came in to talk to me about my A1C. I went from a mildly pleasant smile to resting bitch face when they told me to cut out all doughnuts, pies, sugar or sweets of any kind.

And the entire time I was in the hospital all I could think about was "this poo poo is costing me $1000 an hour" and that I had a huge task list that I needed to work on and losing one to two days was not something I had the time for.

My boss and leadership were a pleasant surprise, keeping my family in the loop and even coming to visit me in the hospital. Everyone was surprised that I came into work on Wednesday and wanted me to take it easy to make sure I was okay and not about to suffer a recurrence. I can safely say this was something I'd never expected - most places I'd ever worked at would have told me to go gently caress myself by inconveniencing them like that, then demanded an update on when I was coming back from the ER.

Anyways, take care of yourselves and don't ignore minor things like I did - the vertigo was something I'd experienced in mild doses previously, but I ignored it and just soldiered on. This time it hosed me over and left me laying on the floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Health check!!

On Monday I collapsed at work and got rushed to the hospital. The issue? Vertigo. I sort of tuned out the doc when she said it was actually quite common. All I know is that I was laying on the ground sweating like crazy and thinking that maybe I beat my dad on when I had a stroke. Old Man went at 54, and I'm 47. Apparently I was also hilariously entertaining to the EMTs and ER staff with my smart-rear end commentary, including the famous "I don't care where you take me so long as it's in-network" and "my pants are down around my ankles, my underwear is half-off, I know you need a urine sample but my bladder is feeling a tad shy at the moment."

I don't remember any of it, and it's only because my family told me about it the next day that I even heard about it.

Had to spend the night in the hospital, got a CT scan and MRI done to rule out any issues with my brain. I'm pleased to announce that I actually do have one, contrary to my sister's opinion. I'm a fat bastard, but apparently that hasn't impacted my heart, veins or arteries just yet. Only bad moment was when the nutritionist came in to talk to me about my A1C. I went from a mildly pleasant smile to resting bitch face when they told me to cut out all doughnuts, pies, sugar or sweets of any kind.

And the entire time I was in the hospital all I could think about was "this poo poo is costing me $1000 an hour" and that I had a huge task list that I needed to work on and losing one to two days was not something I had the time for.

My boss and leadership were a pleasant surprise, keeping my family in the loop and even coming to visit me in the hospital. Everyone was surprised that I came into work on Wednesday and wanted me to take it easy to make sure I was okay and not about to suffer a recurrence. I can safely say this was something I'd never expected - most places I'd ever worked at would have told me to go gently caress myself by inconveniencing them like that, then demanded an update on when I was coming back from the ER.

Anyways, take care of yourselves and don't ignore minor things like I did - the vertigo was something I'd experienced in mild doses previously, but I ignored it and just soldiered on. This time it hosed me over and left me laying on the floor.

Glad you're ok.

I almost went to the ER with similar symptoms on Saturday night. Was a normal Saturday, was downstairs at my computer working on a mod for a game when I started to feel light headed. 15 minutes later the room was spinning like crazy and I was sweating buckets. I made it upstairs to my bed, but as soon as I closed my eyes my brain tried to tell me I was on the spinning multi-axis trainer from Space Camp. I never passed out, but I think it was a drat close thing. I was just about to call for a ride to the hospital when things started settling down. I did go into walk-In on Sunday and was diagnosed with a middle ear infection. Was scary as gently caress when it was happening.